F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Squeaky Rear End
proTUNING Freaks

03-12-2018, 05:06 PM   #23
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron187 View Post
Yep coming from the rear right wheel, Strangely I only noticed this after getting my car washed. Really interested to know what the problem is.
It is very strange, i’ve never had this from any of my BMW’s including ones that have done well over 100k! A couple of them had a very similar squeak from the rear when getting in and out of the car though.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 05:19 PM   #24
Aaron187
Private
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
It is very strange, i’ve never had this from any of my BMW’s including ones that have done well over 100k! A couple of them had a very similar squeak from the rear when getting in and out of the car though.
Let me know the outcome if you get it checked out before me, Best of luck
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 05:49 PM   #25
RoShambolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: Looking

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoShambolt View Post
Just out of interest, have you tried pushing on the boot to replicate it with the car on level ground with the handbrake off?
No, what would that do?
I've had the car squeaking a lot lately getting in and out with the handbrake on, I have read in the manual about every so often driving off with the handbrake applied slightly to stop corrosion and asymmetrical braking, so was interested if it was any worse with applied or not. Maybe something sticking, or a corrosion build up after the increase in salt on the roads lately. Reading your further posts it seems unlikely though.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 05:50 PM   #26
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Just out of interest, have you tried pushing on the boot to replicate it with the car on level ground with the handbrake off?
No, what would that do?
I've had the car squeaking a lot lately getting in and out with the handbrake on, I have read in the manual about every so often driving off with the handbrake applied slightly to stop corrosion and asymmetrical braking, so was interested if it was any worse with applied or not. Maybe something sticking, or a corrosion build up after the increase in salt on the roads lately. Reading your further posts it seems unlikely though.
I did use my handbrake a fair bit in the snow! And did some doughnuts in Tesco car park! I wonder if one of those things are to blame!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 03:57 AM   #27
Smee
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F83

go get a can of lube and go spray all the joints. will take you a few seconds

Old: F32 435d M Sport - Mods : HR Sport Springs, 20" Veemann V-FS23 in Gun Metal, M Performance Body Kit, Pedal Covers, Eurspec CF Mirror Caps, More-BHP remap 364 BHP 741 NM, M4 Under Chassis Brace, 15mm Rear ARB, 8.8" Screen Retrofit and LCI Stereo facia Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 04:16 PM   #28
RoShambolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: Looking

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
No, what would that do?
I did use my handbrake a fair bit in the snow! And did some doughnuts in Tesco car park! I wonder if one of those things are to blame!
Surely blasting around helps to loosen everything up!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 04:24 PM   #29
M2Rush
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 BSM 335i x-drive

Bring it in... mine had the same problem, when I push down the boot it started creaking. It's likely the top bushing(like mine) but it's possible that it's the bottom. It's covered under warranty don't stress out. It happened to the rear passenger and I got it fixed but then 2 weeks later it's the driver side rear now... guess I gotta make another trip.

It's happens to many f30 owners but not enough for BMW to care.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 05:41 PM   #30
DriveS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smee View Post
go get a can of lube and go spray all the joints. will take you a few seconds
Thats how I used to solve the noises on my old E92. Would come back after a few months though and I was never certain where it was coming from as there are so many joints!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 05:52 PM   #31
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Well i took the wheel off and was able to locate the noise to one of these two inner control arm joints so i've soaked them in WD40. It hasn't fixed the squeak yet but i'm hoping it will penetrate into the joints over night!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 04:27 PM   #32
Smee
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F83

that will be them. wd40 isnt the best stuff youd need half a can probably

how was it today?

Old: F32 435d M Sport - Mods : HR Sport Springs, 20" Veemann V-FS23 in Gun Metal, M Performance Body Kit, Pedal Covers, Eurspec CF Mirror Caps, More-BHP remap 364 BHP 741 NM, M4 Under Chassis Brace, 15mm Rear ARB, 8.8" Screen Retrofit and LCI Stereo facia Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 04:30 PM   #33
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
that will be them. wd40 isnt the best stuff youd need half a can probably

how was it today?
It hasn't made any difference unfortunately, another trip to dealers is in order!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 03:39 AM   #34
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

So it turns out it was actually a Lola rose joint which I guess is the ball joint below the hub.

As an added bonus they also did a full wheel alignment which my car was badly in need of after not having one for 55,000 miles!
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2018, 01:25 PM   #35
Norris-wf
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f31 335d

Quote:
So it turns out it was actually a Lola rose joint which I guess is the ball joint below the hub.

As an added bonus they also did a full wheel alignment which my car was badly in need of after not having one for 55,000 miles!
Thanks for posting back what it was. Was it all covered under warranty? Must be great not having to listen to it creaking now again
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 01:54 PM   #36
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norris-wf View Post
Quote:

Thanks for posting back what it was. Was it all covered under warranty? Must be great not having to listen to it creaking now again
Yes all warranty, including the £150 worth of wheel alignment!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 02:15 PM   #37
denz
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 330xi

I have a 2014 330i xDrive and have the exact same problem you mention. The squeaking only comes from the rear right suspension. May I ask what a "Lola rose joint" is? Would you have the part number? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 02:32 PM   #38
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by denz View Post
I have a 2014 330i xDrive and have the exact same problem you mention. The squeaking only comes from the rear right suspension. May I ask what a "Lola rose joint" is? Would you have the part number? Thanks.
No idea what “Lola” is! A typo of lower probably.

Looks like probably part 3 here:

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 03:51 PM   #39
Pequin
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Enthusiastically

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron187 View Post
Quote:
Interesting, is yours also coming from the rear right wheel well?
Yep coming from the rear right wheel, Strangely I only noticed this after getting my car washed. Really interested to know what the problem is.
Mine too, odd. Last time they had it the told me it was the bushings and replaced the somethings but it still squeaks.
      04-08-2019, 09:28 AM   #40
willjames
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 3.0d M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
its common on most cars. the joints on the suspension arms need greasing or spraying with lube

my old Ibiza was terrible for it!!
You think I should put lube in my rear end??
Finbar Saunders and his double entendres
Appreciate 1
teaston10994.50
      06-14-2019, 07:13 PM   #41
GAAEcuador
Ecuador
Rep
Drives: F30 320i 2018

Same Screeching noise from rear right wheel

So my car has 23,000 kilometers on it and has had that horrible screeching noise coming from the right rear wheel since approximately the 14,000 km...ive only had the car for a little over a year, so im still under warranty.

Ive taken it seven times to the dealer and they cant find what it is, they say that due to "my way of driving" (which makes no sense and they cannot prove- keep in mind I drive it for work inside de city), the discs are burnt....

But looking at this forum, and seeing that this problem has been reported in these forums by e90´s and f80 owners, then im thinking there has to be some type of work-orders or recalls, or solutions under warranty for that...

Did anybody find a solution?...the noise doesnt go away....
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 03:58 AM   #42
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAAEcuador View Post
So my car has 23,000 kilometers on it and has had that horrible screeching noise coming from the right rear wheel since approximately the 14,000 km...ive only had the car for a little over a year, so im still under warranty.

Ive taken it seven times to the dealer and they cant find what it is, they say that due to "my way of driving" (which makes no sense and they cannot prove- keep in mind I drive it for work inside de city), the discs are burnt....

But looking at this forum, and seeing that this problem has been reported in these forums by e90´s and f80 owners, then im thinking there has to be some type of work-orders or recalls, or solutions under warranty for that...

If it squeaks when going over bumps or imperfections in the road then it is probably the lower ball joint as shown in my post above.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 08:47 AM   #43
Witney
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model-Y LR

Same here! My Oct 2017 335D has just been in to dealer to look at a "creaking sound" I was hearing from offside rear when reversing. They have diagnosed and advised the rear ball joint needs replacing. Going back in a week or two to be resolved. Surprising on an 18 month car with 36,000 on clock....
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 12:59 PM   #44
GAAEcuador
Ecuador
Rep
Drives: F30 320i 2018

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAAEcuador View Post

If it squeaks when going over bumps or imperfections in the road then it is probably the lower ball joint as shown in my post above.
It's more of a metallic noise and it only sounds when pulling away until I pass 25mph...
Appreciate 0