F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Any of you are using a separate DAC in your car?
ARMA SPEED

03-27-2017, 01:46 PM   #1
sweet coffee
Rep
Drives: 340i M Performance MPPSK

Any of you are using a separate DAC in your car?

Certainly worth it to upgrade speakers, DSP, separate amplifier, subwoofer...
But what about using a small dac between your iphone or Android and the Aux input in the armrest? Some models like Audioquest dragonfly or Encore mDSD seem to fit the bill... This would replace the DAC of the iphone and contribute to a better audio experience. Any of you have tried it?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 09:24 PM   #2
Arthurrs
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 430i xdrive Gran Coupe

Wouldn't it be better to plug your iPhone directly into the USB input of the car? That way the audio signal remains in digital audio format right into the car entertainment system, and you eliminate the unecessary D to A and A to D signal conversions with the solution you're suggesting.
      03-28-2017, 03:44 AM   #3
sweet coffee
Rep
Drives: 340i M Performance MPPSK

You may be right Arthur, I don't grasp enough the technology behind the setup. I use a separate dac at home after my streamer and thought it could be beneficial in the car as well. These small separate dacs take little room in the armrest and was wondering if some have tried it.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 07:10 PM   #4
phyzzo
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW F80 M3

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to share my experience. I only recently experimented with plugging in my Dragonfly Red between my iPhone and the AUX cable and... WOW. It's drastically better than plugging the iPhone in directly. Let's not even bother comparing it to Bluetooth. I didn't expect it to make this much of a difference which is why I had not tried this earlier. I was simply gobsmacked by how improved the detail, stereo separation, and dynamics were.

I have the Harman Kardon system. I was originally planning to upgrade the speakers as I was unsatisfied with the lack of detail and poor dynamics, but the Dragonfly has made enough of an improvement that I will hold off on this upgrade for now.

For just $250, the Dragonfly (or an other portable DAC) is well worth a try first for anybody contemplating a stereo system upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 07:46 PM   #5
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurrs View Post
Wouldn't it be better to plug your iPhone directly into the USB input of the car? That way the audio signal remains in digital audio format right into the car entertainment system, and you eliminate the unecessary D to A and A to D signal conversions with the solution you're suggesting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet coffee View Post
You may be right Arthur, I don't grasp enough the technology behind the setup. I use a separate dac at home after my streamer and thought it could be beneficial in the car as well. These small separate dacs take little room in the armrest and was wondering if some have tried it.
If you have Aux in it's best to use that. Feed it lossless signal via FiiO or A&K, otherwise lossless from phone through DAC is the best. Going in through USB leaves the car's shitty DAC involved.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 08:48 PM   #6
phyzzo
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW F80 M3

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Yes. I assumed it was the speakers and amp that were lacking - and they are, but I underestimated how crappy the DAC is. Using an external DAC is cheap, simple, and very effective.

I've been using my LG V30 with the quad DAC and it sounds decent, better than Bluetooth, the local hard drive and direct lightning cable from iPhone. But the Dragonfly improves sound to yet another level.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 01:09 AM   #7
Arthurrs
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Hmmm, been contemplating getting a dragonfly red for my new iphone xs max because I spent too much on old school analog in ear monitors and the new iPhone doesn't have a headphone jack, I might just have to try this out with my car's aux input instead of USB!

How are you charging the phone in the car while connected to the dragonfly red?
      12-30-2018, 07:49 AM   #8
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Three DAC conversions sounding better than one. Psychoacoustics at best.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 12:29 PM   #9
Arthurrs
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encanto View Post
Three DAC conversions sounding better than one. Psychoacoustics at best.
Or the added conversions could add a colouration of sound that makes it more "desirable"? I was planning to get some kind of external headphone amp for my new iPhone anyway, my curiosity is piqued, but I usually like my audio from a purist's approach of less conversions, the better.