F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Koni Yellows and Dinan springs
GetBMWParts

04-28-2022, 03:32 PM   #23
LanceM26
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i, BMW M240iX

Just got my Koni Sports + Dinan Springs + Dinan Ride and Handling Kit. Now I am waiting for the Millway Street Camber Plates.

Will report back when I have everything installed on my xDrive m240i
Appreciate 2
asbrr544.50
      04-28-2022, 06:47 PM   #24
VP_56
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i RWD

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceM26 View Post
Just got my Koni Sports + Dinan Springs + Dinan Ride and Handling Kit. Now I am waiting for the Millway Street Camber Plates.

Enjoy. Share some pics. I have 32k miles on my setup now, and it still rides like I just put them on.
      04-28-2022, 07:26 PM   #25
tjk_9000
alpinweiß
Rep
Drives: '17 BMW 320i xDrive

wow that looks amazing, really makes the stock body kit seem more sporty.

how hard was it to find the parts and how much all-in?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 02:39 PM   #26
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Quote:

I have a similar setup with the following differences (on my 340xi)

1) ACS rather than Dinan springs
2) Rear F80 bumpstops and front Dinan bumpstops
3) I have the Millway Street Camber plates installed

My Koni yellow settings are
3/4 turns from full soft in the rear
1/2 - 3/4 turn from full software in the front.

Setting the front dampers is relatively easy so you can play around with them to get a setting you like. As per the instructions, never set them (front or rear) to full soft or full hard. I found you could feel a difference 1/4 to 1/2 turns at a time.

Regarding bumpstops, I found it very odd the Dinan rear bumps had a mounting hole too narrow for the Koni damper rod. BMW (both F30 and F80) fit just fine. The F30 stops were too long so I used F80 stops. Cutting the F30 stops would be another option. I also wasn't so keen on the very short Dinan protection boots for the rears.

For the front, the Dinans were perfect. They helped avoid the terrible crash present with F30 and F80 stops. The Dinan front stops allow more travel before contact which is what you want with lowering springs.

As for the Millways, you do get some clunking. It's not terrible but the OE tophat has such a huge bushing, it would be hard for aftermarket to compete. I found a setting of 2.4 degrees was fine to preserve the shoulders of the front tires.

If you have not changed out the lower spring perches, suggest you also change them out as you swap dampers and springs. They wear over time so might as well fix them now.

Good luck.
      04-29-2022, 03:48 PM   #27
LanceM26
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualDIYer View Post
I have a similar setup with the following differences (on my 340xi)

1) ACS rather than Dinan springs
2) Rear F80 bumpstops and front Dinan bumpstops
3) I have the Millway Street Camber plates installed

My Koni yellow settings are
3/4 turns from full soft in the rear
1/2 - 3/4 turn from full software in the front.

Setting the front dampers is relatively easy so you can play around with them to get a setting you like. As per the instructions, never set them (front or rear) to full soft or full hard. I found you could feel a difference 1/4 to 1/2 turns at a time.

Regarding bumpstops, I found it very odd the Dinan rear bumps had a mounting hole too narrow for the Koni damper rod. BMW (both F30 and F80) fit just fine. The F30 stops were too long so I used F80 stops. Cutting the F30 stops would be another option. I also wasn't so keen on the very short Dinan protection boots for the rears.

For the front, the Dinans were perfect. They helped avoid the terrible crash present with F30 and F80 stops. The Dinan front stops allow more travel before contact which is what you want with lowering springs.

As for the Millways, you do get some clunking. It's not terrible but the OE tophat has such a huge bushing, it would be hard for aftermarket to compete. I found a setting of 2.4 degrees was fine to preserve the shoulders of the front tires.

If you have not changed out the lower spring perches, suggest you also change them out as you swap dampers and springs. They wear over time so might as well fix them now.

Good luck.
Interesting, what are the part numbers for the F80 rear bumpstops and the lower spring perches?

By spring perch, you mean the lower spring pad? https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...r/33536791709/
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2022, 11:20 AM   #28
casualDIYer
Major
Rep

Quote:
Interesting, what are the part numbers for the F80 rear bumpstops and the lower spring perches?

By spring perch, you mean the lower spring pad? https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...r/33536791709/
Yes, spring pad. I believe the perch is the metal plate on the front damper that supports the spring. Your link shows the part I am referring to. Also, don't forget the rear pad as well.

The part number for the F80 rear bumpstops is 31337847662. I recall paying a bit less than $50 canuck bucks for the pair at the dealer. Must have caught them in a good mood. "An M part for fifty dollars . . . wait a minute! Tackle that guy before he leaves the dealership!"

Koni Quirk? There is a little white disc that comes with the rear dampers but does not come with the front dampers. I asked Koni about this and they said the front does not require this little white disc but the rear does. They said forgetting to put the white disc on the rear damper can lead to a premature failure of the damper if the damper body and bumpstop should meet during compression.

Another Koni Quirk? Koni leaves out a critical detail about the front damper dust boot retention cap. They tell you to fit the dust protection boot to the cap but for some reason you can't find any cap in the box with the damper. Why? Because that cap is on your front BMW dampers (1 per damper). You need to remove and transfer the caps to your Koni dampers. For the love of God, DO NOT BREAK that cap when removing or re-installing it on your Koni. Replacements are not sold separately. Additionally, the BMW cap is a little too small for the Koni damper. Use sandpaper or a dremel and very carefully remove a little bit of material to make it fit. Go slow here. Remove a little material, press fit, a little more, press fit. You want the final fit to be very snug.

Good luck with the install.

Last edited by casualDIYer; 04-30-2022 at 12:08 PM..
Appreciate 1
LanceM26115.50
      05-01-2022, 03:27 PM   #29
LanceM26
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualDIYer View Post
Quote:

Yes, spring pad. I believe the perch is the metal plate on the front damper that supports the spring. Your link shows the part I am referring to. Also, don't forget the rear pad as well.

The part number for the F80 rear bumpstops is 31337847662. I recall paying a bit less than $50 canuck bucks for the pair at the dealer. Must have caught them in a good mood. "An M part for fifty dollars . . . wait a minute! Tackle that guy before he leaves the dealership!"

Koni Quirk? There is a little white disc that comes with the rear dampers but does not come with the front dampers. I asked Koni about this and they said the front does not require this little white disc but the rear does. They said forgetting to put the white disc on the rear damper can lead to a premature failure of the damper if the damper body and bumpstop should meet during compression.

Another Koni Quirk? Koni leaves out a critical detail about the front damper dust boot retention cap. They tell you to fit the dust protection boot to the cap but for some reason you can't find any cap in the box with the damper. Why? Because that cap is on your front BMW dampers (1 per damper). You need to remove and transfer the caps to your Koni dampers. For the love of God, DO NOT BREAK that cap when removing or re-installing it on your Koni. Replacements are not sold separately. Additionally, the BMW cap is a little too small for the Koni damper. Use sandpaper or a dremel and very carefully remove a little bit of material to make it fit. Go slow here. Remove a little material, press fit, a little more, press fit. You want the final fit to be very snug.

Good luck with the install.
What's the rear pad you're referring to? Just wanna order everything
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2022, 11:05 AM   #30
casualDIYer
Major
Rep

Quote:
What's the rear pad you're referring to? Just wanna order everything
For the fronts and rears on the M240xi

31336860788 - Spring pad lower (for the front struts) x 2
33536764419 - Spring pad upper (for the rear springs) x 2
33536791709 - Spring pad lower (for the rear springs) x 2

Good luck
      05-10-2022, 10:24 PM   #31
khanmohammed
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 CS

I got Dinan springs and bumpstops installed on my 18' 340 with the adaptive suspension. The ride height is perfect now and feels much better overall. I haven't done the Koni Struts though, does it make a big difference? Also I was really looking forward to Dinan Shockware but I was bummed to find out by my installer that the software version in my car is incompatible for some reason and Dinan has no fix for it. Besides that I think I like these springs. I run 20" wheels with a 35 and 30 sidewall and the ride isn't too bad overall.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 12:06 PM   #32
VP_56
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i RWD

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by khanmohammed View Post
I got Dinan springs and bumpstops installed on my 18' 340 with the adaptive suspension. The ride height is perfect now and feels much better overall. I haven't done the Koni Struts though, does it make a big difference? Also I was really looking forward to Dinan Shockware but I was bummed to find out by my installer that the software version in my car is incompatible for some reason and Dinan has no fix for it. Besides that I think I like these springs. I run 20" wheels with a 35 and 30 sidewall and the ride isn't too bad overall.
For me, I added the koni struts and shocks due to them being designed to working well with after market lowering springs. I came across a number of posts on this forum on whenever lowering springs were added , and then the stock struts and shocks prematurely wore out. Since my suspension at the time was base and static, I did not want to chance it
      05-11-2022, 02:16 PM   #33
khanmohammed
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP_56 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by khanmohammed View Post
For me, I added the koni struts and shocks due to them being designed to working well with after market lowering springs. I came across a number of posts on this forum on whenever lowering springs were added , and then the stock struts and shocks prematurely wore out. Since my suspension at the time was base and static, I did not want to chance it
Yeah makes sense, I have adaptive suspension and car only has 21k miles so I'll probably put it on later in time
Appreciate 0