F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Cameras Issue: TRSVC ECU Conditions Not Correct
GetBMWParts

02-28-2024, 08:25 AM   #1
BradNC
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 440i xDrive

Cameras Issue: TRSVC ECU Conditions Not Correct

Sorry in advance for the length. I'm trying my best to learn on my own. I've enjoyed messing with this.

2018 F36 w/ reverse, side, and front bumper cameras. They started working intermittently and as of late they work less than 5% of the time. They either all work or none work at the same time. When they don't work, the camera button doesn't activate anything.

I'm newish to diagnostics w/ the various bimmer tools but I feel like I'm starting to get my head around most things, but I still miss simple things sometimes. I've been using ISTA+, E-Sys, Tool32, INPA (but it seems to pull the wrong functions for the input chassis), and BimmerUtility.

I've cleared all the DTCs on the car. In ISTA+ all the modules are present and green. I had a hard time with an issue where resetting and relearning Flexray in Tool32 w/ ZGW_01.prg would create a 'ZGM missing initialization' error, and initializing Flexray in ISTA+ would cause a bunch of other errors that had to be fixed for the car to be drivable. I went around in that cycle for a while until I VO coded a few modules. I don't know if that's related or not.

In ISTA+ the cameras all show up, & they're all pulling roughly the same mA. When I try to pull up the test images in TRSVC it throws an error:

Code:
A communication fault occurred during activation.
 Incorrect state: ERROR_ECU_CONDITIONS_NOT_CORRECT

I've VO coded the TRSVC module. I've also done the other ECU Functions like reset, etc. I also went ahead and VO coded FEM Body and a couple FEL modules. I saw a reference to needing to VO code all the modules on Flexray, but I'm not sure which other models are included on that.

I started a process to rewrite the SVT to the car, but I wasn't sure what I was doing and stopped before actually writing anything to the car. I wasn't sure if that was going to be a long programming that needed a power supply or not. I saw a few references that rewriting the SVT can fix some ECU communication issues.

I'm planning to do a full i-step update soon and I'm just waiting for my 100A power supply to get here. The last update was Jan 2019 and I've seen people report issues with cameras during that year that were fixed with an i-step update.

I saw one reference to needing to code ICM, REM, FEM, TRSVC, & HU for someone else who retrofitted some cameras.

Any suggestions on what I can try to fix the issue before doing an i-step update? If I need to VO code several modules, how can I determine the full list I need to do? I have a 12 Amp battery charger I can use for <30 minute sessions if I make sure the battery is charged first. I can usually get an hour or two in ISTA before I get the low voltage warning.

If I need to code the headunit, I have a lifetime FSC/patch installed. Do I need to do anything with that before coding? I've been afraid to touch that module until I knew more.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2024, 01:35 PM   #2
BradNC
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 440i xDrive

A little update in case it can help anyone else. Everyone I found with the same issue ended up having to replace the TRSVC. I decided to take a few swings at it.

I got the lastest psdzdata and used E-Sys to code the TRSVC and all the modules it interacts with (I actually did everything but the engine and transmission) with the newest CAFD available. The process was:
  1. Open E-Sys
  2. Read FA
  3. Activate FA
  4. Read VCM and/.or ECU
  5. Click on Module to be coded
  6. Click on Detect CAF for SWE
  7. Click on Module to be coded again
  8. Click on Code

After doing that I had several errors in ISTA that were easily cleaned up. I didn't think the cameras were working but I ran a few diagnostic tests in ISTA (not sure which one I was eventually on or worked) but in one of them it pulled up the surround video screen and the cameras were working. I checked and all are currently working. We'll see if it's intermittent or fixed. I'm going to update the i-Level this weekend anyways.
Appreciate 0