F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > ACS Dampers - Should I or shouldn't I?
Studio RSR

01-01-2019, 01:54 PM   #23
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Good damping makes a huge difference to the ride and handling. BMW OEM adaptive dampers are a weak point, by which I mean they compromise ride and handling : too willowy (Comfort) or too stiff (Sport) but never just right. OEM passive dampers will be cheap units, and also compromised from a performance perspective.

Good dampers are not cheap, but they are absolutely worth it (a must) if you enjoy spirited driving. Personally I think ACS springs are too soft, but that's obviously very subjective. One thing that you should be able to trust, compared to the mix and match route, is that the springs and dampers have been developed by ACS to compliment each other.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 1
Hugrov423.00
      01-01-2019, 01:55 PM   #24
ryanwarriors9
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F11 530D

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil84 View Post
600 for b12 kit which includes springs and dampers??

That's a bargain!!
Seem to be out of stock at the minute but this is who i spoke to. . . . there are 2 versions of the b8 shocks you want the newer part number

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EIBACH-b1...p2047675.l2557
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 01:57 PM   #25
devil84
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30

I see.

Any issues if i just code out adaptive rather than paying 300 for the delete kit.
Appreciate 1
      01-01-2019, 01:59 PM   #26
ryanwarriors9
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I see.

Any issues if i just code out adaptive rather than paying 300 for the delete kit.
Nope i found on m3 cutters a lot of advice from the M boys. They all use Zed coding check them out if on facebook or instagram. I spoke to him seemed a really nice bloke explained the procedure said its straight forward i think he will do it remotely if your competent of unplugging the module your self and what ever else will be needed.You will also need to have windows laptop and cable to connect to car
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 01:59 PM   #27
devil84
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Good damping makes a huge difference to the ride and handling. BMW OEM adaptive dampers are a weak point, by which I mean they compromise ride and handling : too willowy (Comfort) or too stiff (Sport) but never just right. OEM passive dampers will be cheap units, and also compromised from a performance perspective.

Good dampers are not cheap, but they are absolutely worth it (a must) if you enjoy spirited driving. Personally I think ACS springs are too soft, but that's obviously very subjective. One thing that you should be able to trust, compared to the mix and match route, is that the springs and dampers have been developed by ACS to compliment each other.

Makes sense. Very tempted

You seem to know your stuff bud. You got good experience of suspension tuning then
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 02:04 PM   #28
ryanwarriors9
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

You seem to know your stuff bud. You got good experience of suspension tuning then
Are the ACS spring apparently the same as eibach pro? Developed and produced from the same place just stamped up different?

I could be wrong just a common comment that kept popping up when doing some research
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 02:06 PM   #29
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwarriors9 View Post
Are the ACS spring apparently the same as eibach pro? Developed and produced from the same place just stamped up different?

I could be wrong just a common comment that kept popping up when doing some research
No, they have different spring rates, Lorcan should be able to advise further.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 02:09 PM   #30
devil84
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

I know the eibach and acs lowering springs for m135 we're exactly the same. Someone on babybmw forum found a certificate and it was exactly the same between the two.

Maybe different on f32
Appreciate 1
      01-01-2019, 02:11 PM   #31
ryanwarriors9
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I know the eibach and acs lowering springs for m135 we're exactly the same. Someone on babybmw forum found a certificate and it was exactly the same between the two.

Maybe different on f32
Yehh i read a lot about they were the same but then some people say they arnt so god knows mate but for me your paying for the ACS brand and if you have warranty your still covered as they are approved BMW parts i believe
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 03:19 PM   #32
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Only what I've learnt through research, talking to some people with expert knowledge, and a lot of trial and error.

My F31 started with OEM adaptive MSport suspension, then a hybrid setup (OEM adaptive dampers + ACS springs + Birds ARBs), then Ohlins Road & Track plus the ARBs and a full corner-weighted geometry alignment, and lastly adjustable top mounts.

The differences have been very noticeable and each step has made an improvement, however, in hindsight the hybrid setup was a waste of money. I should have gone from OEM straight to my current setup.

The car is now quite stiffly sprung (although the R&T dampers have dual flow valves which softens the secondary ride) but rides/handles very well and the steering is very precise as a result if the poly bushes. Very happy with it - no more major changes planned.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 03:24 PM   #33
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Quote:

No, they have different spring rates, Lorcan should be able to advise further.
ACS was tight-lipped when I asked. I ended up getting the spring rates calculated on a spring dyno - I posted the results for OEM, ACS and Oo S Road & Track several months ago.

People should be able to find the thread using Search if they need the info.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 04:19 AM   #34
Lorcan
The artist formerly known as AC Schnitzer UK
Rep
Drives: The Yellow Peril

Eibach make most AC Schnitzer springs to AC Schnitzer specification. There are instances where the Eibach and AC Schnitzer specification is the same, the M135i being one of them, but on most cars there is a difference in spec at one end or both ends. I'm not aware of any 3 or 4 series kit where the springs are the same. Even where the specification is the same some customers feel that it is worth paying the extra for the AC Schnitzer brand which is better received by BMW dealers, especially if you are considering adding our dampers later, rather than mixing brands. Nothing wrong with Eibach though, I sell both
Appreciate 3
Hugrov423.00
teaston10994.50
Wills28656.00
      01-02-2019, 09:33 AM   #35
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

teaston asked me for the link to my previous write-up which included the spring rates for OEM, ACS and Ohlins.

Others may also be interested - see post #11. I only had the rear spring rates calculated. Ohlins publish the spring rates for its Road & Track product. I've had the front springs (60N/mm) increased to 80N/mm and it's made a big improvement.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ins+road+track
Appreciate 1
Hugrov423.00
      01-06-2019, 09:11 AM   #36
devil84
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi guys

I have an adaptive suspension question. Aside from losing the 3 settings (which i don’t really mind) will i lose any other suspension features from adaptive.

Say if i had in comfort all the time, doesn’t the adaptive supension constantly adjust damping depending on the road? It sound like this loss is more of a big deal compared to the 3 settings?

What you think?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 09:15 AM   #37
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hi guys

I have an adaptive suspension question. Aside from losing the 3 settings (which i don't really mind) will i lose any other suspension features from adaptive.

Say if i had in comfort all the time, doesn't the adaptive supension constantly adjust damping depending on the road? It sound like this loss is more of a big deal compared to the 3 settings?

What you think?
Yes, the dampers operate on a continuously adaptive basis within a range determined by each of the EDC programmes.

Eco / Comfort : generally a soft range.
Sport / Sport+ : generally a much firmer range.

So yes, you do lose the continuously adaptive aspect. Whether you will miss continuously adaptive dampers that are pretty shite is a different matter.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 09:30 AM   #38
devil84
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yes, the dampers operate on a continuously adaptive basis within a range determined by each of the EDC programmes.

Eco / Comfort : generally a soft range.
Sport / Sport+ : generally a much firmer range.

So yes, you do lose the continuously adaptive aspect. Whether you will miss continuously adaptive dampers that are pretty shite is a different matter.
Thank You. Makes sense.

What you think of KW street comfort as alternative to ACS dampers
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 10:27 AM   #39
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thank You. Makes sense.

What you think of KW street comfort as alternative to ACS dampers
I've never used KW. I think Hooded has Street Comfort on his car. You should be able to find his write-up using
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 04:09 PM   #40
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

It was Dr Forinor that fitted the KW street comfort suspension.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 04:27 PM   #41
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
It was Dr Forinor that fitted the KW street comfort suspension.
Cheers Tengo.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 05:49 AM   #42
Dr Forinor
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 335d

My apologies for the delayed response. I will answer questions if anyone wants to know about the KW SC.

devil84 I will PM you.
Coding. LED Front Fogs. DIY Driver Glovebox. KW Street Comfort. 15mm Rear ARB. Tarox SS Brake Lines. Motorwerks Remap. DIY Rear 12v Socket. M Performance Discs. Tarox Strada Pads. Spacers (10mm & 12mm). Head Unit USB Cable. Rear Diffuser. Rear Light Tints. Non RFTs.
Appreciate 0