F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Squeaky noise coming from dashboard..
proTUNING Freaks

11-20-2013, 08:56 PM   #155
Tjcf14
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft1330
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnosis8 View Post
Pushing on the screen or anywhere did not affect the rattle one bit. My recording device was about a foot away from the screen, so yeah it was pretty close.
Ok, took a listen near the screen and its coming from there. It's coming the near the HUD area. Pushed on and around the HUD and didn't affect it...
Ft330 - did you find the cause of your rattle yet?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 11:39 AM   #156
wiilnyin6124
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M240i

Garage List
2020 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ft1330 View Post
Wow, thread revival, I have a similar rattle at 2,500 check out this vid... Did you get yours fixed?

I have this EXACT noise intermittently. However, instead of it coming from the nav screen, I thought it was related to the climate control. The rattle disappears when the climate control is off completely. I would accelerate with the climate control on and the rattle apparent. While accelerating, I would turn the climate control off and the noise would disappear. It didn't matter if the air conditioner was on or off either.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 12:45 PM   #157
Carnook
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: iX

I had a squeak in my dash that was also very noticeable on acceleration. Took it to the dealer they knew exactly where to felt tape it. No more squeak.

Take it in. Chances are you won't be the first they have fixed.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 10:47 PM   #158
m7ammed
Captain
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Wow, thread revival, I have a similar rattle at 2,500 check out this vid... Did you get yours fixed?

I have the same exact noise which is intermittent, atleast I was able to make the guys at the dealer hear it. Was your like that ? Mine comes around 2k to 3k RPM and the disappears and it's very random for when it comes and goes. How did you get it fixed? My car is 10 days old and the dealer says they can't fix it is cry hard to pin point unless it's constantly there.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 10:49 PM   #159
m7ammed
Captain
Saudi Arabia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnook View Post
I had a squeak in my dash that was also very noticeable on acceleration. Took it to the dealer they knew exactly where to felt tape it. No more squeak.

Take it in. Chances are you won't be the first they have fixed.
Was it the same sound as in the video and matches the symptoms I states above? My dealer have never heard this sound before, if you can give more info on where your dealer applied the fix I would be greatful
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 11:50 PM   #160
Carnook
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by m7ammed View Post
Was it the same sound as in the video and matches the symptoms I states above? My dealer have never heard this sound before, if you can give more info on where your dealer applied the fix I would be greatful
The video just sounds all muffled to me. I can't discern the squeak or rattle. Sorry.

Mine was definitely a chirp from the center console. Here is what the dealer put on the work order:

Quote:
Squeaking noise from center console when braking and accelerating. 873 Phil confirmed creaking noise heard from center console area around IHKA. Removed front decorative trim with center vent. Removed IHKA and put felt tape on IHKA. Road tested.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 11:52 PM   #161
m7ammed
Captain
Saudi Arabia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnook View Post
The video just sounds all muffled to me. I can't discern the squeak or rattle. Sorry.

Mine was definitely a chirp from the center console. Here is what the dealer put on the work order:
On the video try and listen to the engine sound, there is a metallic/rattle abnormal sound during acceleration. I'm guessing yours is a different type of sound Thanks
      01-19-2014, 12:07 AM   #162
gomichaelkgo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Oh geez, I had a 2013 335i that was never able to be repaired for a noise like in the video. I'm glad my 2014 335i doesn't show the problem yet. I'm only halfway through the break in period tho.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 10:05 AM   #163
ft1330
Major
Rep

Ok so I still have the rattle. I made an attempt to get it fixed at the dealership but the noise is gone the second a tech steps into the car. I got tired of it so I haven't been back for it yet.

But what I found is that it's coming from inside the dashboard near the driver side, and disappears if the HVAC blower is turned on and the fan selection is on the windshield (up arrow). In my opinion it's a damper that is loose or maybe an air duct. If I turn on the air to the windshield it probably moves a piece which stops the rattle. This may explain the intermittence of the problem, because in HVAC "Auto" mode, the windshield gets air intermittently.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 01:07 PM   #164
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Ok so I still have the rattle. I made an attempt to get it fixed at the dealership but the noise is gone the second a tech steps into the car. I got tired of it so I haven't been back for it yet.

But what I found is that it's coming from inside the dashboard near the driver side, and disappears if the HVAC blower is turned on and the fan selection is on the windshield (up arrow). In my opinion it's a damper that is loose or maybe an air duct. If I turn on the air to the windshield it probably moves a piece which stops the rattle. This may explain the intermittence of the problem, because in HVAC "Auto" mode, the windshield gets air intermittently.
it can either be cup holder rubber squeaking, which is a known issue (and my fix), a blower fan, which is a known issue (and I had corrected under warranty), and/or the NAV screen rubbing against the plastic on the back (which is known, and is replaced under warranty)...

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 04:19 PM   #165
ft1330
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
it can either be cup holder rubber squeaking, which is a known issue (and my fix), a blower fan, which is a known issue (and I had corrected under warranty), and/or the NAV screen rubbing against the plastic on the back (which is known, and is replaced under warranty)...
I did read about these but how is my HVAC damper setting going to affect an engine fan, a cup holder or a nav screen? It could be a new one related to the damper.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 05:43 AM   #166
Dennis335i
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i

Quote:

Ohhhh god finally... lol I've been waiting so long for someone to have this sound. This comes up in my 2013 335i sedan once in a while and its so annoying. The dealership already had the dashboard apart to fix squeak and rattles. Do you know EXACTLY where this sound is coming from? I've started to silence these myself because I don't trust the dealer to do it right the first time lol. You'd be doing me a huuuuuuge favor! You'd think the dealers here in GERMANY would be a little better and know what's going on but I have a feeling they care much less than the American service advisers do.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 10:26 AM   #167
DanielBimmer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: YMB M4

I have the same thing, ended up being my steering wheel squeaking when I turn it, it's the leather
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 01:21 PM   #168
ft1330
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis335i View Post
Ohhhh god finally... lol I've been waiting so long for someone to have this sound. This comes up in my 2013 335i sedan once in a while and its so annoying. The dealership already had the dashboard apart to fix squeak and rattles. Do you know EXACTLY where this sound is coming from? I've started to silence these myself because I don't trust the dealer to do it right the first time lol. You'd be doing me a huuuuuuge favor! You'd think the dealers here in GERMANY would be a little better and know what's going on but I have a feeling they care much less than the American service advisers do.
I wish I could help you, and I also wish someone could help me, but I still don't know what's going on. It goes away when opening the windshield vent (up arrow). So my thinking is that it's coming from the windshield damper (a part that opens and closes the air flow to the vent), or maybe the air duct itself. If these parts are loose, they could be rattling except when air pressure keeps them in place, or when they are in an open state. I don't even know where that damper might be so I can't really try a fix. And I don't have the skills to take the dashboard apart myself. But I will bring these findings to the dealership...
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 08:25 PM   #169
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken lai View Post
I have squeak from all around the rear seats! Very noisy all the time and I can't believe it will happen only one week after i pickup the car.

Not sure if the through loading options cause the squeak.
I got the same issue. It's not bad but it does happen.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 06:46 PM   #170
1917DOB
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 335i E93 LeMans/SaddleBrown

I've had an intermittent rattle in the front driver side dash area of my 2013 335i since I picked it up brand new. It took me a thousand miles to finally isolate it. The plastic clam shell that fits around the steering column right behind the steering wheel will resonate at the seams and generate a rattle noise. I haven't had a chance to visit the dealer yet for them to try and come up with a permanent fix, but verbally they've said they've never heard of this and that there's not a bulletin fix about it. If the rattle is happening, I've found holding my hand against it will make the rattle noise stop immediately. Before I was able to figure out where it was coming from I was starting to be convinced that the rattle noise was coming from the Heads Up Display (HUD) or inside dash area. I hope this information helps at least one of you eliminate the same rattle. These foreign noises surely subtract from an otherwise awesome car...
2013 328i Sedan Alpine White / Beige Dakota (Sold)
2011 335i Sedan BSM / Black Dakota (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 06:54 PM   #171
iagafoor
IAG
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMWX3 2013 Prem Packg AlpWhite

X3-2013 January production, got the same rattle noise from the front panel area, showed it to the tech during my annual service. He suspects heating system accessories may be touching something behind the dispaly panel and advised to book an appointment to check and fix it. I will update when it is done in due course..
Appreciate 0