F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > NBT EVO ATM question
proTUNING Freaks

02-26-2023, 02:28 PM   #1
gosi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240

NBT EVO ATM question

Hello fellow car lovers,

first of all, my apologies if this has been answered already. I did do a fair bit of researching before posting;

I have a 2017 F22 with ENTRY_NAV (6.5 screen, no nav) and a TCB-01 module in the trunk. I want to upgrade to NBT EVO and from reading forums, I am left with more questions than answers.

I have been looking at these options online, which are convenient, because they are advertised as PnP: link

From my research the only issue is that I have a TCB-01 unit. If someone bought a kit similar to this one, I would appreciate some feedback.

My specific questions now:

1. Lots of NBT upgrade guides online from 2018 onwards. What is the best and most recent guide for the upgrade? I prefer doing upgrades as close to 100% as possible, so don't mind researching and doing the work myself or paying a bit more to make it as OEM as possible.

2. My TCB module won't work with NBT EVO. Is there a method to buy a matching ATM unit now?

3. I don't care that much about connected services, but I'm guessing my emergency call won't work anymore? Or will my TCB unit still function?

4. Will other features on the new headunit work: DAB radio? Will I be able to update maps? Are there any other features which will not work?

5. My TCB-01 says on the label that it has GPS. Can I somehow use this for GPS signal? Considering, as far as I understand, the TCB is assigned to each car, I'd like to keep mine functioning if possible.

6. Other than the TCB/ATM box, are there other issues that I am not aware of?

Thank you very much for answering my questions,
gosi
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2023, 04:12 PM   #2
Finn2k1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 116d

1. If you want to keep things as OEM as possible then buy a kit like the one you shared. Custom FSC codes to your VIN will make everything plug n play.

2. Either look for a bundle that comes with ATM and marching VIN for both ATM and head unit and then use an emulator. This way you can book whatever connected drive services are available.for the donor VIN. OR buy a compatible ATM, a TCB to ATM harness, connect everything and then using esys just code the new ATM to your original VIN. GPS will work but you won't get connected drive. If you wish to get some connected drive support then you need to transfer the embedded eSIM from TCB to ATM.

3. SOS button will work. For connected drive support see nr2.

4. If you need DAB radio then look for a head unit that has the green & yellow ports on the back. The yellow port is DAB band III while the green one is band L. In Europe band III is mostly being used and you will have to run a cable (around 15€ on Amazon) from the antenna diversity (you need to replace the old one in case it comes with only FM-AM ports) to the head unit.

5. TCB won't work with an EVO head unit. There is blue fakra HSD cable that runs from the TCB to the head unit using USB protocol. This cable will become obsolete when you upgrade to the Evo unit. In order to keep GPS functionality you will have to buy the TCB to ATM harness I mentioned in (1).

6. No other issues. I ve done the above on my 2017 f20 and everything is working fine. I can upgrade maps using a usb stick 64GB, DAB radio works, navigation works, carplay works. The only thing I don't have is connected drive because I haven't transferred the old SIM to the ATM unit.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 03:51 AM   #3
gosi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn2k1 View Post
1. If you want to keep things as OEM ...
Thank you, Finn2k1, for you answer.

I am leaning towards the option that you went with. So, to buy a harness and replace my existing TCB with an ATM. I don't need connected drive.

Just to confirm, is this is what you did? I'm assuming with the harness I will not need to run new wires from the HU to the new ATM module, which I am going to buy?

Which system did you upgrade from - ENTRY_NAV? I'm not sure if your f20 is a LCI or not?

Since our cars are the same model year, do you mind sharing which guide you used, or which part numbers you bought for the new HU and other accessories? Because if it worked for you, I'd like to follow your lead, so that I don't have any issues

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 07:38 AM   #4
Zheez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D (2015)

I bought an HW4.1 Evo unit that had the blue GPS port already fitted but enabled from a seller on Ebay - very much like the unit that you've linked to there. I think mine was originally in a G30 5 Series and from what I understand the GPS connection is there from factory on those units but is not enabled because the ATM still deals with the GPS.

My particular Evo unit had been flashed with a specific software version so that it works with my original APIX1 screen and the seller had pre-coded it for my car along with enabling the GPS port. All I had to do was drop it into my car using all the existing connections (but adding a voltage regulator for the screen) and I just left the green HSD connection from the TCB disconnected.

I have no ConnectedDrive services this way because I have no ATM at all but GPS works perfectly and there was no effort at all with wiring - quite literally plug and play with no additional harnesses etc. It has been coded to work with my original NBT iDrive controller so I didn't replace that either. Total cost for me was somewhere around £600 because I'm using my original controller and screen.

Unfortunately I don't know how to prep these G series units up to enable the GPS connection if you got a unit that hadn't already had it done, but someone may be able to point you in the right direction. If you bought a pre-prepared unit it would save you the hassle of adding an ATM which saves money as well as the effort of adding the wiring, definitely worth it if you don't care about ConnectedDrive services.

Last edited by Zheez; 03-15-2023 at 07:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 02:50 PM   #5
Finn2k1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 116d

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosi View Post
Thank you, Finn2k1, for you answer.

I am leaning towards the option that you went with. So, to buy a harness and replace my existing TCB with an ATM. I don't need connected drive.

Just to confirm, is this is what you did? I'm assuming with the harness I will not need to run new wires from the HU to the new ATM module, which I am going to buy?

Which system did you upgrade from - ENTRY_NAV? I'm not sure if your f20 is a LCI or not?

Since our cars are the same model year, do you mind sharing which guide you used, or which part numbers you bought for the new HU and other accessories? Because if it worked for you, I'd like to follow your lead, so that I don't have any issues

Thank you.
The custom TCB to ATM harness connects to the original cable back on boot and then 4 more connectors have to be connected. Three of them are for the ATM while the 4th and the longest part of the cable has to be connected to the head unit. I went under the back seats on the left side od the the car, under the carpet, removed the panel over the pedals and ran it to the head unit. It was pretty straight forward.

ATM part needed if you are in Europe: ATM-ECE-4G
Head unit: Just get a Harman kardon high unit preferably HW >=3.1 sold together with a compatible screen. My screens part number ends.in 26, coming from a 3 series
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 08:26 AM   #6
gosi
Private First Class
Rep

Some headunits on Ebay are missing port 12 (APIX to instrument cluster), is that alright? The one pictured has APIX2-1, but is missing APIX2-2 between APIX2-1 and USB1 on the very left side below the fan.

Zheez You mentioned that the seller precoded it for you. Would you mind sharing where you bought your NBT from? Or if anyone knows about a good coder who can code the unit for my car if I buy an uncoded one.

I have decided against the hassle with buying a new ATM. In another thread I saw you using the TCB signal for GPS. Since I have the same TCB, I think this is the best bet. Does the gps signal work then with a fakra splitter? Link: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...48&postcount=4

I also already upgraded my screen from 6.5 to 8.8 a few years ago (can be done with only coding if you have ENTRYNAV), so already have a similar screen to you and I only need the voltage regulator.
Appreciate 0