F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Wheels
ARMA SPEED

04-28-2018, 01:39 PM   #1
amsbmw
Captain
Rep
Drives: 3 series

Wheels

Rear 403m's were replaced last year after my warranty ran out. My car was in for its second mot yesterday and I asked about one of them starting to corrode and they said its not covered. Is this correct ?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2018, 01:49 PM   #2
James-335dx
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsbmw View Post
Rear 403m's were replaced last year after my warranty ran out. My car was in for its second mot yesterday and I asked about one of them starting to corrode and they said its not covered. Is this correct ?
I'm not 100% certain but I believe all new parts come with a 12 month warranty so if it was under that time then you can argue the toss. I've just done the same on the rear light clusters that have condensated again. They were changed last April under warranty but failed again so I pointed it out at this MOT and was told "the car is no longer under warranty" When I pointed out the lights themselves were under warranty still they said they would take photos and ask BMW UK. Rang me the next day to book it in to replace them again
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2018, 02:21 PM   #3
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

Should be 2 years on parts such as wheels
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2018, 03:27 PM   #4
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Doesn't it depend on whether you make some financial contribution for new car warranty parts, to go beyond the 3-years. I'm sure I've seen it somewhere in T&Cs, or had it explained to me at the garage. I understand repairs only fulfil the terms of the original warranty period.

I know for warranty on white goods, if parts or complete machines are replaced during the warranty period, the warranty still runs out on the original date.

I had a Bosch washer-drier replaced twice. Bosch sent a specific email stating the warranty only runs to the end of the original 2-years, not from the replacement of the second new machine. So in effect the current machine only had about a 10-month warranty.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2018, 03:30 PM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by James-335dx View Post
I'm not 100% certain but I believe all new parts come with a 12 month warranty so if it was under that time then you can argue the toss. I've just done the same on the rear light clusters that have condensated again. They were changed last April under warranty but failed again so I pointed it out at this MOT and was told "the car is no longer under warranty" When I pointed out the lights themselves were under warranty still they said they would take photos and ask BMW UK. Rang me the next day to book it in to replace them again
I understand that will be 'goodwill', rather than under warranty terms. The warranty had run out.
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2018, 03:45 PM   #6
amsbmw
Captain
Rep
Drives: 3 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Doesn't it depend on whether you make some financial contribution for new car warranty parts, to go beyond the 3-years. I'm sure I've seen it somewhere in T&Cs, or had it explained to me at the garage. I understand repairs only fulfil the terms of the original warranty period.

I know for warranty on white goods, if parts or complete machines are replaced during the warranty period, the warranty still runs out on the original date.

I had a Bosch washer-drier replaced twice. Bosch sent a specific email stating the warranty only runs to the end of the original 2-years, not from the replacement of the second new machine. So in effect the current machine only had about a 10-month warranty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post

This is how it was explained to me, she said that the warranty would've ran out at the 3 year manufacture stage, I am well aware of the 2 year part warranty but also thought it might be stuff that you bought ( m perf kit etc)
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2018, 04:03 PM   #7
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsbmw View Post
This is how it was explained to me, she said that the warranty would've ran out at the 3 year manufacture stage, I am well aware of the 2 year part warranty but also thought it might be stuff that you bought ( m perf kit etc)
The quote is typical of a new car warranty and what I'd expect to see in the full terms of the BMW new car warranty.

Quote:
Any replaced parts are covered for the unexpired period of the vehicle warranty.
Different from new parts we have fitted, or replaced.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2018, 04:30 PM   #8
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Remembered I've the original BMW warranty document in the car.

Part of the terms...

Quote:
BMW 3 Year Unlimited Mileage Dealer Warranty

Parts for which replacements are made become the property of BMW (UK)

Any part replaced under warranty is warranted to be free of manufacturing defects until expiry of the original Dealer warranty.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 04:38 AM   #9
999rigger
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F33 4 Series Convertible

You still have certain statutory legal rights for anything purchased to stay in good condition for a certain amount of time regardless of any other implied warranty!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 06:13 AM   #10
ByTheSea
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 320i MSport Auto LCI

2003, when 3 Series were still fairly simple beasts, I had a circuit board fail in my car, one week after warranty expired. Dealer wanted to charge me fully for parts & labour. Since all my servicing/MOT had been done there I made a case for some compensation from BMW. After an enquiry from the dealer BMW paid for the part and the dealer paid for half the labour.
Appreciate 0