F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Do I stay or do I go?
GetBMWParts

09-28-2018, 03:53 PM   #23
SpaceHorsey
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sµpreme View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by D's Bimmer View Post
I have owned a BMW for almost all of my driving life. Having owned, modified and tuned my N54 as well as my N55, I have really enjoyed the brand. At present, I have a 2016 340 xi 6 speed. The only modding I have done thus far is just adding Apex wheels. So hence nothing really. I am going to hold off on any ecu tuning until he spring of 2019 to allow the platforms to get refined and expanded.

I have been mulling over whether I keep this car or move to a different platform?

I keep finding my eye turn to MB AMG e63 type or an Audi Sport Station wagon like a s3, rs3.

My question is, if you were to move away from the B58, what would you move towards platform wise? BTW, I am really leaning towards a Sport Tuned Wagon platform if I can find something strong and durable.

Thanks!
I'm on my 3rd bimmer, but when shopping most recently, I did drive some Audi's. They are great cars but for a few reasons I stuck with BMW. One of the reasons may sound dumb but it ended up being a big deal. I usually buy autos but drive them exclusively in manual mode, shift through all gears up and down. The Audi auto-stick is backwards from BMWs. You push *forward* to shift up. When I was test driving and trying to enjoy the car, I kept fouling up my shifts. Maybe I could've overcome 10 years of muscle memory over time, but it just felt wrong. Momentum and g-forces are pulling you back as you accelerate - why would you fight against those forces to shift into the next gear? Anyway, maybe not a big deal for you as you indicated that you prefer a true manual but that's my two cents fwiw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sµpreme View Post
Quote:
I have owned a BMW for almost all of my driving life. Having owned, modified and tuned my N54 as well as my N55, I have really enjoyed the brand. At present, I have a 2016 340 xi 6 speed. The only modding I have done thus far is just adding Apex wheels. So hence nothing really. I am going to hold off on any ecu tuning until he spring of 2019 to allow the platforms to get refined and expanded.

I have been mulling over whether I keep this car or move to a different platform?

I keep finding my eye turn to MB AMG e63 type or an Audi Sport Station wagon like a s3, rs3.

My question is, if you were to move away from the B58, what would you move towards platform wise? BTW, I am really leaning towards a Sport Tuned Wagon platform if I can find something strong and durable.

Thanks!
I'm on my 3rd bimmer, but when shopping most recently, I did drive some Audi's. They are great cars but for a few reasons I stuck with BMW. One of the reasons may sound dumb but it ended up being a big deal. I usually buy autos but drive them exclusively in manual mode, shift through all gears up and down. The Audi auto-stick is backwards from BMWs. You push *forward* to shift up. When I was test driving and trying to enjoy the car, I kept fouling up my shifts. Maybe I could've overcome 10 years of muscle memory over time, but it just felt wrong. Momentum and g-forces are pulling you back as you accelerate - why would you fight against those forces to shift into the next gear? Anyway, maybe not a big deal for you as you indicated that you prefer a true manual but that's my two cents fwiw.

100% on the shift pattern. Porsche Caymans are the same. Everything about it is wrong!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 07:06 PM   #24
D's Bimmer
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340 Xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
What's prompting you to look at Audi as an example? Anything specific that BMW lacks?
I have liked some of their styling and I find their interiors to be much more refined than BMW of late. Some of their tuning options seems very impressive but the lack of a MT is an issue. Want to be driving a MT forever if possible.
      10-01-2018, 07:11 PM   #25
D's Bimmer
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Here4MT View Post
I switched to a 340i from an S3 because I wanted the 6MT. I loved my S3. It's more nimble, peppier and fun to drive than the 340i. If you prefer an automatic take an RS3 for a test drive. You'll love it. But... if you love being in control of your car, stick w a MT BMW.
I agree with you about the drive of the Audi. I did test drive an RS3. Wow!!!!! But man I would want a MT for sure.
      10-01-2018, 07:15 PM   #26
D's Bimmer
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by juryan View Post
I just tried the following cars:

Audi RS3
Audi S5 Coupe
Audi RS5
BMW 440i M Performance
BMW X3 M40i (Just for fun... loved it)
Mercedes C43 AMG Coupe

I tried the Audi RS3 and S5 more than once, and they just didn't do it for me. The RS3 was fun to drive, but it suffered from too much turbo lag and the interior was a little cramped. I'm coming from a MK7 Golf R and despite the extra power in the RS3 it didn't feel much different. Maybe I'm crazy but I preferred the S5 over the RS3, mainly for the interior fit and finish.

The RS5 was out of my budget... At that price I'd probably have a hard time choosing between the RS5 and M4. I live in Montreal and daily drive the car so AWD would be nice.

The Mercedes C43 was fun to drive, sounded awesome and had a great interior. It was a difficult decision...

In the end I went with the 440i xDrive M Performance. I loved the feel of the BMW, seating position, the M steering wheel, throttle response, brakes... everything. It just feels more alive than any of the others. Add the MPPSK and all other M Performance options and it's just on another level... It came from the factory exactly how I wanted! Even the colour options were more interesting.

I'm now the proud owner of a 440i in Valencia Orange.
You are helping me to stay with my 340xi. I may wait until next spring. Get the engine tuned and go from there. I have been eyeing a few slightly used M3's in manual but they go quick on sale.
      10-01-2018, 07:16 PM   #27
D's Bimmer
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beek View Post
So come on and let me know ... did you stay or did you go?

(sung to the tune of The Clash' Should I stay or should I go)
I have stayed for now. Will get through the Winter. Either look to get this engine tuned in the spring or upgrade to a slightly used M3 with MT. I think I will regret leaving BMW.
      10-01-2018, 07:18 PM   #28
D's Bimmer
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsimon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsimon View Post
I had thought about switching to an rs3 but I just couldn't bring myself to get an auto. My plan is to switch to an f80 M3 (6MT) soon. Join me!
Since posting my original comment in this thread I now actually have that M3 and I fucking love it. Anyone want to buy my JB4+bluetooth kit I had on the 340?
Congrats!!! I will likely be following your lead in the spring. Keeping my eye out for a slightly used M3 with MT.
      10-02-2018, 10:58 AM   #29
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:

Thanks!
The B58 motor is an amazing engine!! Don't go to the dark side.. LOL

Mike
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2018, 08:54 PM   #30
B58
Major
Rep
Drives: 922 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
The B58 motor is an amazing engine!! Don't go to the dark side.. LOL

Mike
Yup and we haven’t even seen the full advantage yet.... other tuners coming in, JB4 back end flashes, more E85. Toyota Supra will be using the B58.
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2018, 10:22 PM   #31
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 N54

What, no love fer Tesla dual motor?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 08:45 AM   #32
Nebelhinten
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 Tanzanite 340i MPPSK

Appreciate 1
      10-08-2018, 02:41 PM   #33
Mr Carrots
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Done with BMW after the b58s limitations, but the new m4 might tempt me back

I wouldn't go audi or merc because I want something trackable with massive power at a good price and neither can do what GM and Ford are doing
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 09:17 AM   #34
440xiGCMSport2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: EB440xiGC

I have owned multiple vehicles from all three brands. The thing that sets BMW apart from the other two is reliability. hard to believe, but if you look on the road you will see many older BMW and very little MB's (unless the real old ones, those were built like a tank) and hardly any Audi's. Also dealing with Audi corporate is a real nightmare.
M3 cars become collector cars but how about AMG and RS cars?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 08:26 AM   #35
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440xiGCMSport2 View Post
I have owned multiple vehicles from all three brands. The thing that sets BMW apart from the other two is reliability. hard to believe, but if you look on the road you will see many older BMW and very little MB's (unless the real old ones, those were built like a tank) and hardly any Audi's. Also dealing with Audi corporate is a real nightmare.
M3 cars become collector cars but how about AMG and RS cars?
+1

Comparatively BMWs are pretty bullet proof if properly maintained..

Mike
Appreciate 1