F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Essential spec
Studio RSR

03-18-2019, 11:57 AM   #1
Kev87
Rep
Drives: 435d GC

Essential spec

For 3 (too) short years I drove a e92 320d, loved that car but wanted something quicker. My father in law knows a few people at Audi that could do me a deal on a new S3 so I took it. It's a great car but I've never loved it like I did my 320d, despite the performance advantages.

Now I'm fast approaching 3 years into my S3 deal, I can finally get myself back into a BMW

So, all being well in the life span of this next car I might be fortunate enough to have kids so want 4 doors and love the practicality of a hatch back so 4 series Gran Coupe / 3 series touring fits the bill perfectly.

After much deliberating I think I've settled for the 435d GC largely due to it's higher base spec than the 335d touring and I'm buying used so more options available. (plus the wife is dead against estate cars ... )

So I've a budget of around £25k, and initially my desired spec was adaptive suspension as every review says its a must and M Sport Plus (for the wheels, brakes, HK and tints). But now having decided that if I can buy at the right price I'll put ACS on it, I no longer need the adaptive suspension. Aiming for a 66 plate to avoid the higher rate road tax, so should find 1 (eventually) with <25,000 miles.

So (finally getting to the question) how do people feel about a 435d GC M Sport plus and no other spec ... I feel like this is all I need. Or am I missing something?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 12:02 PM   #2
335d Rocco
Major
England
Rep
Drives: G01 BMW X3 30d M Sport Plus

Garage List
A 17 plate could still be under the higher tax threshold, my f31 335d is a 17 reg & was registered on March 31st, 1 day before the new tax change.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 12:03 PM   #3
Kev87
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335d Rocco View Post
A 17 plate could still be under the higher tax threshold, my f31 335d is a 17 reg & was registered on March 31st, 1 day before the new tax change.

This I never considered!!! Cheers mate
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 12:13 PM   #4
335d Rocco
Major
England
Rep
Drives: G01 BMW X3 30d M Sport Plus

Garage List
I’m not to sure on 4GC prices but for your budget you’d easily get an AUC 17 reg 335d M Sport+, so I don’t think you’ll be too far off for a 4GC.

£25k was what I paid for mine from bmw in December, low mileage f31 335d M Sport+ & various other extras.
Appreciate 1
Pequin230.00
      03-18-2019, 01:57 PM   #5
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

My 440i GC is pretty basic compared to some.

M Sport Plus - essential in my opinion. Should really be standard.
Adaptive Suspension - I could have lived with standard, but doing 20k miles a year it's nice to stick it in comfort when tootling around.
Digital cockpit - I got this to make it feel a little different as my previous two cars were F31s. Could easily live without it..
Folding mirrors - again should be standard in my opinion. Now I have them I don't actually fold them that much. Again, could easily live without.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 1
Pequin230.00
      03-18-2019, 02:15 PM   #6
Pobsey
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 F31 330d / 2010 e87 118d

Having had my f31 for 15months, there were a few items that I wasn’t going to go without:
Pro nav, love the online entertainment, the Deezer subscription also works on my Sonos at home, also syncs my favourite songs to both systems.

Enhanced Bt, do a fair few miles and with both my own phone and a work one, I could guarantee whichever one was connected the other would ring so I now have both connected, also have the benefit of the wireless charging.

Another vote for folding mirrors,

My new f31 will have all the spec I had before plus hud, speedlimit display, reversing camera and went with a leather dash- an option I’ve never seen on a Dakota leather interior.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 02:52 PM   #7
northernsouly
Rep
Drives: 330d Shadow Edition

Garage List
HK sound is an absolute must if you like music at loud volume without distortion.

The folding mirrors also give a dip when reversing which is useful when parking

Heated seats also a must

I also have the heated steering wheel which I could probably live without

My sunroof doesn't get used much but lightens the cabin with the black dakata leather and black anthracite headlining.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 03:26 PM   #8
Pobsey
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 F31 330d / 2010 e87 118d

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernsouly View Post
HK sound is an absolute must if you like music at loud volume without distortion.

Heated seats also a must

My sunroof doesn't get used much but lightens the cabin with the black dakata leather and black anthracite headlining.
Good point on the HK with my car been a shadow edition it was standard, also had it in my e87.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 03:37 PM   #9
Kev87
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernsouly View Post

Heated seats also a must

Yeah the HK is my big reason for wanting the M Sport plus, I could retrofit bigger wheels and window tints. Not sure the bigger brakes are essential either ... might be wrong on that?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 03:39 PM   #10
Techno 9000
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435D Estoril Blue

Bought my 435D GC for a growing family. Space, practicality, stylish, frugal, fast.

M Sport+ pack for the HK sound, that can sound good - just check out the equaliser setting threads on here, Wheels, blue brakes & gangsta window tints.
Adaptive damping in Sport mode firms up the suspension somewhat, but ACS springs will be going on mine later this year.
Adaptive xenons are an aid to safety and making progress on A roads; I have almost perfected a method of use that overcomes the lag in dipping that would otherwise annoy/blind oncoming drivers, meaning I get all the advantages without any disadvantages. basically use the lighting stalk to manually dip slightly early then, with the oncoming vehicle lights visible to the forward facing camera, press the auto light button on the end of the same stalk to turn them back on - the system will immediately re-enable the high beam around the oncoming vehicle keeping your view down the road ahead.
Wouldn't be without the HUD now, great visibility in any lighting conditions from low sunlight directly ahead, to pitch black and anything in between. Lets you know who's calling, choose music tracks etc etc.

Wished we could have got extended storage....but second owners can't be too choosy.

Last edited by Techno 9000; 03-18-2019 at 03:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 03:47 PM   #11
goodbyalfa
King of the North (living in the east...)
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i mineral white

Diesel?
What about a 440i?
2015 330D F30 MSport EBII
2012 Alfa Guilietta 2.0d Veloce
2009 Fiat bravo sport
2000 ST Mondeo
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 04:49 PM   #12
Kev87
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyalfa View Post
Diesel?
What about a 440i?
I do probably 12,000-15,000 so yeah petrol would probably be the better option, but I'm wondering if I'll miss the xdrive after my quattro. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 04:55 PM   #13
goodbyalfa
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev87 View Post
Quote:
Diesel?
What about a 440i?
I do probably 12,000-15,000 so yeah petrol would probably be the better option, but I'm wondering if I'll miss the xdrive after my quattro. Thoughts?
I'm doing 18k miles and the running costs would be even lower for your mileage.
It's one of the last chances to get a 6 pot 3.0l petrol engine and believe me it is a masterpiece. Try one before you decide one way or the other.
Yes you need to be careful in the wet, but the slightly lighter nose and better Std suspension make up for all this.
2009 Fiat bravo sport
2000 ST Mondeo
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 05:10 PM   #14
330XDave
Major
Rep
Drives: 330d xDrive Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno 9000 View Post
Bought my 435D GC for a growing family. Space, practicality, stylish, frugal, fast.

M Sport+ pack for the HK sound, that can sound good - just check out the equaliser setting threads on here, Wheels, blue brakes & gangsta window tints.
Adaptive damping in Sport mode firms up the suspension somewhat, but ACS springs will be going on mine later this year.
Adaptive xenons are an aid to safety and making progress on A roads; I have almost perfected a method of use that overcomes the lag in dipping that would otherwise annoy/blind oncoming drivers, meaning I get all the advantages without any disadvantages. basically use the lighting stalk to manually dip slightly early then, with the oncoming vehicle lights visible to the forward facing camera, press the auto light button on the end of the same stalk to turn them back on - the system will immediately re-enable the high beam around the oncoming vehicle keeping your view down the road ahead.
Wouldn't be without the HUD now, great visibility in any lighting conditions from low sunlight directly ahead, to pitch black and anything in between. Lets you know who's calling, choose music tracks etc etc.

Wished we could have got extended storage....but second owners can't be too choosy.
So manually controlled high beam assist then?

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 05:14 PM   #15
Kev87
Rep

Quote:
It's one of the last chances to get a 6 pot 3.0l petrol engine and believe me it is a masterpiece. Try one before you decide one way or the other.
Yes you need to be careful in the wet, but the slightly lighter nose and better Std suspension make up for all this.
Is the M sport suspension good enough on the 440i? If I'm saving £2k by not needing to put ACS on to fix the ride height it would open up more options
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 02:03 AM   #16
wlegge
Private
Rep
Drives: 435d X-Drive

There is a good standard spec on the 435d M Sport + models, so really you're left with a few basics that should be standard or make it a bit nicer;

Folding wing mirrors - they auto dim too as well as the reversing dipping so very useful
Reversing camera - not essential but nice
Heated steering wheel - depends if you have cold hands or not
lumber support on the front seats
auto high beam or adaptive LEDs if you do a lot of night driving (they are VERY good)
digital cockpit if new enough

Sunroof, HUD, surround view cameras etc all seem a bit of a luxury to me but some really love them
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 02:26 AM   #17
330XDave
Major
Rep
Drives: 330d xDrive Touring

I have a pre-LCI F31, fairly basic spec with M Sport+ (adaptive Xenon's rather than LED) and Pro Nav.

The only thing I ever really think of wanting is heated seats. Thought my car had them until I went to test drive it then couldn't walk away because the car was in such good condition!

*Edit* Actually just thinking about this, my spec is a bit of a strange one. Where I thought my car had the M Sport+ package, I've realised as part of this were 19" alloys, whereas my car has the standard 18" M Sport alloys. I'm guessing the previous owner must have swapped them out (my guess is the 18's were winter wheels as my car came with new sumner tyres on and he sold the 19's) or he specced Adaptive Xenon's, HK Sound, M Sport brakes and Sun Protection Glass separately which I think is unlikely and I'm not even sure possible.

Last edited by 330XDave; 03-19-2019 at 02:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 03:23 AM   #18
richatha
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
This really for that mileage I wouldn't discount a 40i engine, i'm doing about 11k at the minute in my 340i and the running costs aren't bad, 40's on a motorway, low 30's in town, 20 if i'm on a drive with friends.

As for spec, i have HK & love it, Heated seats are a must for the winters with leather seats. Pro Nav for me is a big 50/50 i personally don't use the BMW sat nav because it's unreliable & not as clever as Waze but don't discount it as for £120 and a spare day you can get apple car play added afterwards & the big screen looks nicer. Folding mirrors are handy if parking in tight spots but it drives me crazy I have to hold the lock button for them to go in!!!

Again as you've mentioned tints & wheels can be added after at not much cost. I also don't have adaptive suspension and having not test drove a car with it i can't comment if it's good but without it I have no issues with the ride quality, especially when you put some Michelin 4s on them!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 09:30 AM   #19
goodbyalfa
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev87 View Post
Quote:
Is the M sport suspension good enough on the 440i? If I'm saving £2k by not needing to put ACS on to fix the ride height it would open up more options
I have adaptive on mine and really like it. Remember the non 335d m sports do not have the rolly poly SE suspension
Comfort setting is that and sport firms up the damping for when pressing on.
Best of both worlds.
Saying that, I had a 330d before non adaptive m sport and really liked the ride. Firm but subtle imo.
2009 Fiat bravo sport
2000 ST Mondeo
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 12:59 PM   #20
Kev87
Rep

Got this reserved and I'm off to see this car on Monday.

https://www.evanshalshaw.com/search/...hback-HV66MXX/

No real idea about the spec, looks like it's Carbon Black. It's listed as M Sport, but definitely looks like the M Sport Plus wheels, brakes and tints? Will have to wait and see if it has HK or not.

Anyone got any tips on how to work out what spec it actually has?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 03:12 PM   #21
willjames
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 3.0d M Sport

For me essentials any on BMW would be:-

1) Split rear folding seats
2) Electric folding mirrors (why oh why people don't spec these is beyond me , but they should be standard)
3) Digital Cockpit (currently don't have this but wont be without going forward)
4) M Sport Brakes (normal BMW brakes look poor aesthetically when they start to rust)
5) Extended storage (gotta have somewhere to put your sunglasses)
6) Heated Seats
7) Pro Nav
Appreciate 0