F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Aftermarket suspension 101
GetBMWParts

01-21-2014, 04:24 PM   #1
abe12345
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i M-Sport Manual

Aftermarket suspension 101

I'm new to aftermarket suspensions, and I've been quite confused as to how certain suspension components benefit the performance and handling of a car. The concepts aren't really addressed directly in the posts here, so I was hoping some of you could educate me on how the aftermarket parts improve the car.

I understand some folks wish to lower their car mainly for aesthetic reasons, but I am really only interested in the performance aspect of the suspension. I have done two track days so far:

Both times I noticed the massive suspension travel when I corner hard. In fact I saw a picture of my car where the clearance between the top of the inside rear tire and the chassis was over 6 inches...
http://www.gotbluemilk.com/web130218...s/image29.html
The roll was so extreme that I noticed the tire was rubbing against the chassis on the other side.
What kind of upgrades would reduce this behavior? Is a set of coilovers going to solve it? Will the stiffer springs and damping settings essentially allow me to take those corners with very little roll? Do I have to add camber, or spacers to widen the track... etc? I've read a bit about suspension geometry but there are so many scenarios that we encounter in track driving that it's hard to wrap my brain around all of that at once.

Also, my car has the adaptive suspension from BMW. I think it allows the damping to be adjusted, but even at it's max setting (Sport+ and DSC off) there's still a ton of roll. Are the coilovers going to work with this system?

Last edited by abe12345; 01-21-2014 at 04:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 04:29 PM   #2
vip
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 Alpine White M5

I'm getting the Dinan springs put on tomorrow on my sportline 335i non DHP. Will post review later in the week.
      01-21-2014, 05:57 PM   #3
momo3605
Major
Rep
Drives: M340i LCI, 718 GTS 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by abe12345 View Post
I'm new to aftermarket suspensions, and I've been quite confused as to how certain suspension components benefit the performance and handling of a car. The concepts aren't really addressed directly in the posts here, so I was hoping some of you could educate me on how the aftermarket parts improve the car.

I understand some folks wish to lower their car mainly for aesthetic reasons, but I am really only interested in the performance aspect of the suspension. I have done two track days so far:

Both times I noticed the massive suspension travel when I corner hard. In fact I saw a picture of my car where the clearance between the top of the inside rear tire and the chassis was over 6 inches...
http://www.gotbluemilk.com/web130218...s/image29.html
The roll was so extreme that I noticed the tire was rubbing against the chassis on the other side.
What kind of upgrades would reduce this behavior? Is a set of coilovers going to solve it? Will the stiffer springs and damping settings essentially allow me to take those corners with very little roll? Do I have to add camber, or spacers to widen the track... etc? I've read a bit about suspension geometry but there are so many scenarios that we encounter in track driving that it's hard to wrap my brain around all of that at once.

Also, my car has the adaptive suspension from BMW. I think it allows the damping to be adjusted, but even at it's max setting (Sport+ and DSC off) there's still a ton of roll. Are the coilovers going to work with this system?
I've struggled with similar cocerns. I have pictures from an autox and same issue. The roll is insane even with DHP on max. From what I understand, the dampers don't control the roll. They control how quickly it comes back. So even with your dampers set to sport, that won't help body roll. On that front, stiffer springs will help, and stiffer anti-roll bars (there is nothing from reputable companies yet). On the springs side, you have H&R and Eibach which are cosmetic drops, and just last week, Dinan released their springs which are 30% stiffer than stock. Keep your eyes out on the suspension thread for impressions on those in the next couple weeks, including vip! I'm in the same boat as well, and I'm looking forward to hear about these Dinan springs
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 06:28 PM   #4
abe12345
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i M-Sport Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo3605 View Post
I've struggled with similar cocerns. I have pictures from an autox and same issue. The roll is insane even with DHP on max. From what I understand, the dampers don't control the roll. They control how quickly it comes back. So even with your dampers set to sport, that won't help body roll. On that front, stiffer springs will help, and stiffer anti-roll bars (there is nothing from reputable companies yet). On the springs side, you have H&R and Eibach which are cosmetic drops, and just last week, Dinan released their springs which are 30% stiffer than stock. Keep your eyes out on the suspension thread for impressions on those in the next couple weeks, including vip! I'm in the same boat as well, and I'm looking forward to hear about these Dinan springs
so what about the coilovers? are the springs sufficient to combat the body roll?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 07:25 PM   #5
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Replacing the suspension with new aftermarket dampers and springs is a big step... coil-overs are inherently no better than a good set of traditional dampers/springs other than the ability to fairly easily adjust ride height, compression/rebound rates, and springs - which is why they are the logical choice for race cars that are adjusted for optimal performance on a variety of tracks.
In my opinion, the weak point of the F30 Sport suspension setup is the soft, progressive springs. Particularly with the electronic dampers (DHP), a set of firmer, linear springs like those that Dinan just released should match-up very well. (Post #125 in this thread provides a very positive first-hand experience from I think our first forum member on the new Dinan springs.)

This is the route I have gone as well; my Dinan springs should be here in a couple of days. In the coming months, Dinan will also be releasing "Shockware", which will remap the EDC damping curves to change the "comfort" setting to what is currently "sport," and the "sport" setting to something entirely new... Steve Dinan feels that the OEM adaptive dampers are quite good, and all they really need is a bit of recalibration (and new springs) to dial-in the car's handling.

If you get serious on the track, you may revisit the option of getting a nice set of coil overs from TC Kline, JRZ, Bilstein, KW, etc., but in the mean time, probably best to stick with the OEM dampers and upgrade the springs.
      01-21-2014, 08:38 PM   #6
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Or get the MPS with ARBs...literally flat around limerock, and unflappable.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 09:09 PM   #7
momo3605
Major
Rep

I wish I had saved money from DHP and have used that towards MPS, but ah well. I think Dinan springs+shockware will do the trick as well
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 09:40 PM   #8
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
If the OP were coming from a base suspension as you did, MPS would definitely be what I'd recommend. But starting with an M Sport (which already has the same thicker ARBs as what goes with MPS) and DHP, Dinan springs (and Shockware when it's available) are a much cheaper/easier way to go. Plus, he gets to retain the adaptive/adjustable damping for a softer ride while daily driving on the streets. As for whether the performance is similar... well my friend, you and I will have to sort that out if I make it up to Lime Rock this season : )
      01-21-2014, 09:51 PM   #9
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
If the OP were coming from a base suspension as you did, MPS would definitely be what I'd recommend. But starting with an M Sport (which already has the same thicker ARBs as what goes with MPS) and DHP, Dinan springs (and Shockware when it's available) are a much cheaper/easier way to go. Plus, he gets to retain the adaptive/adjustable damping for a softer ride while daily driving on the streets. As for whether the performance is similar... well my friend, you and I will have to sort that out if I make it up to Lime Rock this season : )
Challenge...accepted!

You're correct, coming from an M sport is a different story...I missed that.

I'd go straight bilstein cool overs then! The springs plus shock ware would be a great DD setup...

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 10:07 PM   #10
momo3605
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC View Post
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 10:34 PM   #11
Dippydo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 Comp

Garage List
2012 BMW  [1.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by abe12345 View Post
so what about the coilovers? are the springs sufficient to combat the body roll?

Coil overs are the best of both worlds. You are upgrading the shocks as well as the springs and you can control the height to your liking. Depending on how much you want to spend, you can get coil overs that are fully adjustable including dampening and travel.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 05:00 AM   #12
focal
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i 6MT w/ MPS & MPE

The only reason I am going with the MPS vs coil overs is the ride height. The minimum drop for coils is over 1". The MPS is .75"

Coming from a base suspension, new ARB was mandatory in my mind for any suspension upgrade. The best starting point is the msport suspension without dhp. Then you have the correct ARB and better shocks if you wanted a spring only change. Even MPS is more reasonably priced (less than a variant 2 kW coils).
Appreciate 0