F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > ASD retrofit to non-asd Harman Kardon F30 2012
Studio RSR

08-21-2021, 06:18 AM   #1
MemphisM5
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Lightbulb ASD retrofit to non-asd Harman Kardon F30 2012

Hello, recently bought ASD module with connector and harness from eBay for some 40 bucks without any idea how to attach to 2012 F30 with HK amplifier, which is not supporting ASD at all. Did some research, found great threads here, especially the one from yusufm786 and start with installation.

ASD module itself:

ASD connectors comes in different flavors,according to amplifier type: 1. Stereo from Head Unit (HU), 2. Hi-Fi amplifier and 3. Harman Kardon Top amplifier. Wires are different colors and different thickness, but connector's pin numbers are always the same.

ASD connector:

Harman Kardon connector:

First idea was to jam ASD outputs to HK outputs and receive mixed sound from both, but HK has MOSFET amplifying module, while ASD contains IC with +6V out to speakers' wires, so jamming to HK-s "-" of speakers was muting ASD sound.

Inside ASD:

Here is the final wiring diagram of ASD attached to HK. Front speakers' wires were cutted and ASD sits between HK output and speakers. For me it was enough to have ASD engine sound coming from the front only, also this gives less load to ASD, especially when comparing ASD to HK power output numbers (15W vs 25W). But rear speakers can be attached as well. Also this type of setup doesn't degrade HK-s sound level or surround, etc.

Physical installation in trunk, beside HK amplifier, didn't have bracket for ASD, so just put it there and hold it with plastic of HK.

For KCAN bus, I ran wires to ComBox in the middle of the trunk, wire colors are the same, used Ethernet CAT6 patch-cord, containing twisted pair inside, for less interference:

After complete physical setup ASD appeared in module list of ISTA+. Then ran esys for coding module and it's options. To code ASD retrofit, first run "detect cafd for swe", then just "code", after "code fdl", and finally edit cafd file to have next and again "code fdl" (No need to modify VO):
Model Range : F80, Engine : S55B30, Audio Level : Stereo, Power Class : OL, Competeion Paket : Yes.

Hope this thread will help others to make same retrofit type.

Here's short video of how it sounds:

Attached Images

Last edited by MemphisM5; 08-21-2021 at 06:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 03:21 AM   #2
BWT
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

Thanks for the informative post.

Did you find out if ASD outputs to the rear deck speakers and the under seat woofers as well?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2022, 04:35 AM   #3
ekucet
Enlisted Member
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 320i ED Sport Plus LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWT View Post
Thanks for the informative post.

Did you find out if ASD outputs to the rear deck speakers and the under seat woofers as well?
Yes, I'm wondering too...
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2022, 05:13 PM   #4
Xradeon
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i E93 2009

My 2014 F33 amp has blown due to water.. Someone is selling me an ASD HK amp, but my connector only have 4 pins. Does anyone knows if I can use the ASD amp on my car by just changing the connector and leaving the other pins unplugged?
Appreciate 0