F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > F30 Adaptive Suspension compatible springs/coilover?
Studio RSR

08-16-2019, 02:03 PM   #1
YEET82
Lurker
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

F30 Adaptive Suspension compatible springs/coilover?

After reading a bunch of posts and asking around, I have a question on what options I have that would be compatible with the adaptive suspension package on my 340i.

Im currently looking into just doing springs offered by dinan:

https://www.dinancars.com/product/d1...?series=&mid=/

I think I read somewhere this should be fine because I would still be using stock struts/shocks.

If I wanted to change to coilovers, what could I do because changing the entire setup would probably interfere with the electronic suspension?

I'd appreciate any help here
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 03:45 PM   #2
dr.roro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G01 X3

Garage List
You can use any coilover setup and either use a EDC delete module (e.g. KW) or code out EDC.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 04:42 PM   #3
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

How many miles does your car have?

Bilstein offers B6 Damptronic shocks designed to work with stock springs. These shocks use OEM EDC adaptive functionality.
Appreciate 1
johnung4528.00
      08-16-2019, 11:01 PM   #4
YEET82
Lurker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.roro View Post
You can use any coilover setup and either use a EDC delete module (e.g. KW) or code out EDC.
Do you not recommend keeping the EDC? I personally dont really have a problem with it and just turning it off seems like a waste of money to have the package to begin with.
Appreciate 1
johnung4528.00
      08-16-2019, 11:02 PM   #5
YEET82
Lurker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
How many miles does your car have?

Bilstein offers B6 Damptronic shocks designed to work with stock springs. These shocks use OEM EDC adaptive functionality.
Its a 2016 with just almost 18K miles. The shocks here dont really lower the car which is the look I am going for.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 03:58 PM   #6
Jvac
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i rwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffs340i View Post
Its a 2016 with just almost 18K miles. The shocks here dont really lower the car which is the look I am going for.
Look at the Dinan springs + supplemental handling package. The springs lower the car a bit (and are stiffer) and the supplemental package is just a set of shorter bump stops to pair up with the lower ride height. You retain the OEM adaptive damping +shock absorbers which in your case have a lot of life remaining on them and are over 500/piece new. It's about 500 worth of parts for a pretty good good improvement in performance and appearance while retaining full OEM function (and warranty) . Coil over kits will be considerably more expensive and require an edc delete module or coding to disable the adaptive suspension or you'll have drivetrain warnings, I'm told.
Appreciate 1
YEET8226.00
      08-19-2019, 02:29 PM   #7
CrushJelly
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffs340i View Post
Do you not recommend keeping the EDC? I personally dont really have a problem with it and just turning it off seems like a waste of money to have the package to begin with.
For what reason?

If you find utility in being able to choose between soft and firm damper settings, then keep EDC.

Personally, I always drive with firm settings, so have no need for comfort mode. I have gone a passive B14 kit and coded out EDC.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 04:08 PM   #8
Kefka
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325i, 135i, 335i e93/92 , Z4 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.roro View Post
Hey but what to do with the accelerometer that is attached to the strut? (fronts)?

this it is also coded out to become non-functional or "ignored"?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 05:47 PM   #9
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefka View Post
Hey but what to do with the accelerometer that is attached to the strut? (fronts)?

this it is also coded out to become non-functional or "ignored"?
You leave it attached to the strut you remove. Coding it out will make the system think it isn't there anymore and it won't look for it.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 1
Kefka32.50
      08-22-2019, 08:32 AM   #10
marcthedark
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive Convertible

MSS Kit is developed for stock struts (adaptable or not) liked them very much on my VW R32
https://mss.company/
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 11:30 AM   #11
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcthedark View Post
MSS Kit is developed for stock struts (adaptable or not) liked them very much on my VW R32
https://mss.company/
How can they say that since the damping curves differ between the two?

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 01:19 PM   #12
thisismikeyb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i xDrive M-Sport EBII

If your car is the LCI model, it should have the revised dampers. I would just go Dinan Springs + Bumpstops + Shockware and call it a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
How can they say that since the damping curves differ between the two?
The passive sport dampers and the adaptive dampers sport mode are probably close enough to design one set of springs for the softer suspension. Comfort mode will suffer though.
2014 328i xDrive M-Sport EBII--M-Performance BBK/LSD/Aero--AA Signature Exhaust--Bilstein B6 DampTronic + Eibach Springs + H&R Swaybars + Millway Street Camber Plates + M3 Bump Stops + Dinan Shockware--Apex ARC-8 18x9.5et35+12mm Front Spacers w/Kumho Ecsta V730 275/35--FL-5/EC-7 18x8.5et35 w/Pilot Alpin PA4/Hakkapeliitta 10 Studded 245/45--BavSound Stage 1+Ghost Subs
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 01:31 PM   #13
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisismikeyb View Post
The passive sport dampers and the adaptive dampers sport mode are probably close enough to design one set of springs for the softer suspension. Comfort mode will suffer though.
This is within the realm of possibility for models whose base suspension and adaptive suspension use the same springs, however for models that have an actual "base" suspension and EDC uses springs closer to "M-sport" rates, no way.

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 09:28 AM   #14
marcthedark
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive Convertible

Please use stock/ Koni red/ Koni Yellow / Koni FSD/ Monroe/ Bilstein / Oehlins..... all with the same springs. All of those have different characteristics.
Pretty sure the MSS would work best with the Adaptive as they provide a nice comfortable ride (but still stable/sporty) with less understeer, body roll .... and in addition the ability to adjust the height as needed (based on other reviews and my VW R32 experience with Oehlins)
Will get a set in the spring time when/if I decide to buy out my M240 vert lease
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 10:04 AM   #15
thisismikeyb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i xDrive M-Sport EBII

Quote:
Quote:
This is within the realm of possibility for models whose base suspension and adaptive suspension use the same springs, however for models that have an actual "base" suspension and EDC uses springs closer to "M-sport" rates, no way.
Strange as I'm speaking from experience on a 2014 xDrive car with EDC. Spent 10 months with the base springs, then about a years and a half on Dinan Springs on smooth European roads and had no issues. I drove almost exclusively in comfort mode and would only switch to sport mode while taking spirited drives. The jump from stock springs to Dinan was substantial at that time.

When I came back to America in the fall of 2015, I had about 30k miles on the car. I don't remember having an issue with my run-flat summer tires. I know when I installed the go-flat 245/45 winter tires I added some extra bounce to the ride. Switching back to my run-flat summer tires removed that bounce. Again, most of my driving was done in comfort mode.

At 49k miles I finally upgraded to Dinan Shockware, granted the dampers were probably starting to wearing out. I should/would have installed this sooner, but I was waiting for the B6's to be released. This was spring/summer of 2017.

Last spring at 70k miles I switched to MP4S' and really needed new dampers, "comfort mode" was fine on smooth roads, but falling apart on a lot of bumps and undulations. "Sport mode" would fix most of these issues. I was in the mind set if I replaced my dampers, the B6's would be released the following week.

At 84k miles the B6's were finally installed. At 85k I switched from Dinan to Eibach's to fix the ride height issue. Now I'm at 86.5k miles and the ride has been great, however I do wonder how it would have been if I installed there revised LCI dampers instead of the B6's.

But hey, what do I know I'm not looking at dampening charts, only driving the car and reporting what I feel.
2014 328i xDrive M-Sport EBII--M-Performance BBK/LSD/Aero--AA Signature Exhaust--Bilstein B6 DampTronic + Eibach Springs + H&R Swaybars + Millway Street Camber Plates + M3 Bump Stops + Dinan Shockware--Apex ARC-8 18x9.5et35+12mm Front Spacers w/Kumho Ecsta V730 275/35--FL-5/EC-7 18x8.5et35 w/Pilot Alpin PA4/Hakkapeliitta 10 Studded 245/45--BavSound Stage 1+Ghost Subs
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 10:34 AM   #16
Eschmacher
Car Hypochondriac
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport Estoril Blue

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
thisismikeyb revised LCI dampers??

Edit: I had no idea this was a thing, I assumed they were the same dampers.
Interior: Bavsound stage 1 and subs - custom trunk sub by Mike1327
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 10:58 AM   #17
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

But hey, what do I know I'm not looking at dampening charts, only driving the car and reporting what I feel.
A lot of people think their unoptimized setups feel "fine." It's not until you get to a well optimized setup that you really understand what optimization brings.

I've tested over 13 spring combos on my vehicle and have been very surprised how well frequency and critical damping calculations match with feeling. Calculations that have told me "this spring rate is where you really start to get underdamped" proved exactly that when I took that combo out on my test roads and hit successive cresting features. Most of the setups felt "fine" for daily driving (except ones where the F/R ride frequencies were about 1:1), however, the better optimized setups showed clear superiority on the track and test road.

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 11:18 AM   #18
oregondonor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i

Garage List
Quote:
A lot of people think their unoptimized setups feel "fine." It's not until you get to a well optimized setup that you really understand what optimization brings.

I've tested over 13 spring combos on my vehicle and have been very surprised how well frequency and critical damping calculations match with feeling. Calculations that have told me "this spring rate is where you really start to get underdamped" proved exactly that when I took that combo out on my test roads and hit successive cresting features. Most of the setups felt "fine" for daily driving (except ones where the F/R ride frequencies were about 1:1), however, the better optimized setups showed clear superiority on the track and test road.
You've swapped out over 13 sets of springs on your touring? I can't even make up my mind on one set!

Currently thinking of going Dinan + bump stops + shockwave as I feel substantial BMW specific engineering has gone into this set up.

I truly love the adaptive functionality. I too drive in comfort mode most of the time. 90 miles of commuting every day so I enjoy the cush.

Being completely honest I just want to get the ride height where I want it without sacrificing the current setup. A solid inch all around.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 01:14 PM   #19
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregondonor View Post
You've swapped out over 13 sets of springs on your touring? I can't even make up my mind on one set!

Currently thinking of going Dinan + bump stops + shockwave as I feel substantial BMW specific engineering has gone into this set up.

I truly love the adaptive functionality. I too drive in comfort mode most of the time. 90 miles of commuting every day so I enjoy the cush.

Being completely honest I just want to get the ride height where I want it without sacrificing the current setup. A solid inch all around.
Soon to be on my 15th (and hopefully final) combination!

I'm convinced that dinan shockware and dinan springs were developed independently of each other and weren't explicitly designed to be paired together (otherwise shockware would have more than one part number).

You sound like a good candidate for the DIY Rear HAS. That way you only really have to find the right spring that lowers your front the 1in.

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 01:47 PM   #20
oregondonor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Soon to be on my 15th (and hopefully final) combination!

I'm convinced that dinan shockware and dinan springs were developed independently of each other and weren't explicitly designed to be paired together (otherwise shockware would have more than one part number).

You sound like a good candidate for the DIY Rear HAS. That way you only really have to find the right spring that lowers your front the 1in.
I have run the Ground Control "Coilover Conversion Kit" in the past and it was a nice option to have. I don't believe this option has existed since the E46 chassis?

I ended up going with ST Coilovers on my E92 but the EDC option that my F32 came with has muddied my waters. Not only that, but being as I have the ZHP, I find my mind wandering and wondering what combination of suspension parts I truly have?

I do like to make data driving decisions.

Is your coilover conversion your "final" setup for the rear?

Will you be developing a coilover conversion for the front?

Thanks for all you do for us suspension peeps!

Kind Regards,
Randy
2016 435i MSport ZHP #85

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 01:54 PM   #21
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregondonor View Post
I have run the Ground Control "Coilover Conversion Kit" in the past and it was a nice option to have. I don't believe this option has existed since the E46 chassis?

I ended up going with ST Coilovers on my E92 but the EDC option on my F32 came with has muddied my waters. Not only that, but being as I have the ZHP, I find my mind wandering and wondering what combination of suspension parts I truly have?

I do like to make data driving decisions.

Is your coilover conversion your "final" setup for the rear?

Will you be developing a coilover conversion for the front?

Thanks for all you do for us suspension peeps!

Kind Regards,
Randy
Yup, the rear HAS and 900lbs/in spring is my final setup for the rear. I'm getting my dampers retuned for them at the end of the month.

That said, yesterday I did a good amount of dirt/gravel washboard road driving yesterday and the ride was... SMOOTH! I'm a bit underdamped right now, but I have about a 25% flat ride ratio (rear ride freq is higher than front by about 25%), and this allowed the car to settle very quickly and keep a smooth ride over lots of road texture.

A few other drivers jokingly came up to me and asked if I was rattling my car apart (because even in their trucks they said they felt the dash was going to rattle apart) and were surprised when I told them it was a pretty comfortable ride, and that I heard the suspension working and doing its job more than I felt the road.

The last bit for my configuration is a set of new front springs coming in (had to be shipped from Germany). Unfortunately I haven't figured out an affordable way to do the front HAS yet. If I do, you can be sure I'll do a writeup/video on it after I test the concept myself. There's one company out there that makes a front/rear HAS, but their unwillingness to provide spring rates keeps me from recommending them since you don't know what you'll be getting (and the kit's not that cheap).

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 02:29 PM   #22
oregondonor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Nothing like a suspension that is working well. It has always impressed me how these Baja desert racing vehicles can ride so smooth on rough terrain at speed!

I've only seen KW that has any offerings of HAS kits lately but I do not seen anything for my RWD F32?
Appreciate 0