F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 16’ 340i xdrive beeping and smoke?
ARMA SPEED

08-04-2019, 01:47 AM   #1
HaloF30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2016 340i xDrive

16’ 340i xdrive beeping and smoke?

Hey guys I recently got a new to me 340i xdrive and I was in the car talking to my girl with the engine running and outta no where it’s started beeping like crazy, RPMs went to 1500 and there was white smoke coming from the exhaust... I just shut off the car and turned it back on and everything went away has anyone had this or similar happen? Thank you.

P.s the heater was on idk if it’ll make a difference
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 02:28 AM   #2
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaloF30 View Post
Hey guys I recently got a new to me 340i xdrive and I was in the car talking to my girl with the engine running and outta no where it's started beeping like crazy, RPMs went to 1500 and there was white smoke coming from the exhaust... I just shut off the car and turned it back on and everything went away has anyone had this or similar happen? Thank you.

P.s the heater was on idk if it'll make a difference
You are in Miami in August. The outside temp is 83 and a feels like temp of 90 degrees at 3 AM in the morning. And you are running the heater
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 03:12 AM   #3
HaloF30
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
You are in Miami in August. The outside temp is 83 and a feels like temp of 90 degrees at 3 AM in the morning. And you are running the heater
dude it was so strange like my car just started beeping/ siren while the car sounded like it was accelerating and then when I shut it off I see all this thick white smoke coming out the exhaust.. I drove it around to see if anything else happened but the car appeared to be fine. I’m still under warranty but idk what I would tell them
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 11:18 AM   #4
neonnblack
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i 6MT/e46 330xi

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
dude it was so strange like my car just started beeping/ siren while the car sounded like it was accelerating and then when I shut it off I see all this thick white smoke coming out the exhaust.. I drove it around to see if anything else happened but the car appeared to be fine. I’m still under warranty but idk what I would tell them
Exactly what you told us.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 01:09 PM   #5
Mr Podman
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3 Series GT Stage 0.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonnblack View Post
Exactly what you told us.
^
+1

Take it in and have them read the codes.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 01:16 PM   #6
EDWYER
Yoda of mods
Rep
Drives: X5 RWD

Garage List
2015 X5 RWD  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
Why the hell are you running the heater??
YT: https://www.youtube.com/@DWYERGARAGE/videos
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 03:18 PM   #7
BWbimmer
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F36, E36, E93

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Podman View Post
^
+1

Take it in and have them read the codes.

The ony way to find out, unless u got a crystal ball
      08-04-2019, 03:37 PM   #8
HaloF30
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectBoost View Post
Why the hell are you running the heater??
because this chick was cold af but it wasn’t crazy hot or it didn’t feel like.. I wouldn’t have the heater on for nothing, should just turned on the heated seats or turned off the a/c
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 03:39 PM   #9
HaloF30
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWbimmer View Post
The ony way to find out, unless u got a crystal ball
lol I know just annoying because it’s sunday and my bmw tech doesn’t work till Monday
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 04:11 PM   #10
BWbimmer
Captain
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
lol I know just annoying because it’s sunday and my bmw tech doesn’t work till Monday
Then get yourself an OBD cable and read the error codes. Anyway a good investent for longer journeys where things can go wrong.
      08-04-2019, 04:14 PM   #11
BWbimmer
Captain
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
because this chick was cold af but it wasn’t crazy hot or it didn’t feel like.. I wouldn’t have the heater on for nothing, should just turned on the heated seats or turned off the a/c
What does it matter? The car should be able to cope with that anyway.
      08-04-2019, 04:16 PM   #12
HaloF30
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
What does it matter? The car should be able to cope with that anyway.
i agree with you thats why I find it weird why it would react like that. I guess we’ll see soon
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 11:57 AM   #13
HaloF30
Private First Class
Rep

UPDATE: turns out when I would let my car idle for too long the car would start too smoke due to oil leak from the turbo charger.. dealer is going to replace all the necessary gaskets and new spark plugs.
Appreciate 1
kern4174445.00
      08-22-2019, 08:55 PM   #14
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Yes I had this happen too. I brought it in and they couldn't replicate the problem. I don't idle my car for very long anymore.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 01:57 AM   #15
BWbimmer
Captain
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
UPDATE: turns out when I would let my car idle for too long the car would start too smoke due to oil leak from the turbo charger.. dealer is going to replace all the necessary gaskets and new spark plugs.
How long is too long? Can't wait to hear how this is being fixed.

Recently I had the intake hose off and could have a look into the turbo. I could see a thin line of oil going into the turbo. I am wondering where this is coming from and if this is related to your problem.
      08-23-2019, 09:50 AM   #16
HaloF30
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Yes I had this happen too. I brought it in and they couldn't replicate the problem. I don't idle my car for very long anymore.
Quote:
How long is too long? Can't wait to hear how this is being fixed.

Recently I had the intake hose off and could have a look into the turbo. I could see a thin line of oil going into the turbo. I am wondering where this is coming from and if this is related to your problem.
first time it happened was with my girl in the car you feel me so it’d had been a hour and then when the tech left the car idling he told me around an hour to hour and a half then the whole place got smoked up..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 12:32 PM   #17
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Yeah I feel like it was about an hour. Car would shudder and rpm fluctuating up around 1500 rpm with a loud shrieking sound from maybe the turbo. Turned it off and turned it back on and everything is normal but white smoke came out of the tail pipe then cleared up. No check engine light or error codes stored. Not sure if I should bring it back and have them idle for an hour or look into the turbo not sure if they will do that. They may go do something else and not turn it off which could damage something. Surprised it doesn't consume oil and only happens when idling for extensive periods but not revving and fixes itself after turning it off. Did the fix of replacing gaskets and spark plugs fix it? I've had spark plugs replaced as part of routine maintenance but I'm used to spark plugs lasting longer maybe it's different with direct injection turbo engines? Now that I think back it may have been beeping as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 01:07 PM   #18
HaloF30
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I feel like it was about an hour. Car would shudder and rpm fluctuating up around 1500 rpm with a loud shrieking sound from maybe the turbo. Turned it off and turned it back on and everything is normal but white smoke came out of the tail pipe then cleared up. No check engine light or error codes stored. Not sure if I should bring it back and have them idle for an hour or look into the turbo not sure if they will do that. They may go do something else and not turn it off which could damage something. Surprised it doesn't consume oil and only happens when idling for extensive periods but not revving and fixes itself after turning it off. Did the fix of replacing gaskets and spark plugs fix it? I've had spark plugs replaced as part of routine maintenance but I'm used to spark plugs lasting longer maybe it's different with direct injection turbo engines? Now that I think back it may have been beeping as well.
dude you described it to the t.. you literary did the exact thing I had done lol and if you’re still under warranty tell them to have it idle for that long or longer and it should happen but it’s definitely the turbo leaking oil or just have them Go straight to the turbo for any leaks.

EDIT: they haven’t done the work yet tech told me to keep the loaner til like Tuesday so I’m still waiting man
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 01:53 PM   #19
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
dude you described it to the t.. you literary did the exact thing I had done lol and if you're still under warranty tell them to have it idle for that long or longer and it should happen but it's definitely the turbo leaking oil or just have them Go straight to the turbo for any leaks.

EDIT: they haven't done the work yet tech told me to keep the loaner til like Tuesday so I'm still waiting man
Ok. Hopefully it's a nice loaner. Thank God for extended warranty they should do a recall on this if it is occurring on multiple vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 02:05 PM   #20
HaloF30
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Ok. Hopefully it's a nice loaner. Thank God for extended warranty they should do a recall on this if it is occurring on multiple vehicles.
np fam and it’s the g20 which I don’t like lmfao but whatever it’s a new car 😂😂 by the way how many miles do you have? And any other issues have you had?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 02:49 PM   #21
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
np fam and it's the g20 which I don't like lmfao but whatever it's a new car 😂😂 by the way how many miles do you have? And any other issues have you had?
I had the G20 330 as a loaner and test drove the M340i at the M Town Tour. The latter was much better. I have extended warranty to 6 years 100k and currently have 57k miles. At 8k miles I had low coolant like many others but not since so I'm thinking it was under filled at the factory as the pressure test revealed no leaks. Another time I had low oil right after an oil change so the dealer must have underfilled it that time. Other than that it was just low tire pressure when it gets cold which is normal. BTW I've also had the new X5 as a loaner though with the B58 so it was a bit lacking and 430i GC which was quite nice actually as it was an m sport. Also had F30 330 and 320s.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 05:33 PM   #22
HaloF30
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I had the G20 330 as a loaner and test drove the M340i at the M Town Tour. The latter was much better. I have extended warranty to 6 years 100k and currently have 57k miles. At 8k miles I had low coolant like many others but not since so I'm thinking it was under filled at the factory as the pressure test revealed no leaks. Another time I had low oil right after an oil change so the dealer must have underfilled it that time. Other than that it was just low tire pressure when it gets cold which is normal. BTW I've also had the new X5 as a loaner though with the B58 so it was a bit lacking and 430i GC which was quite nice actually as it was an m sport. Also had F30 330 and 320s.
how was the m340i? And you bought the extended warranty when you bought the car right? I wanna get the extended but it’s too expensive now because I got my mine used .... damn you’ve had your fair share of loaners the nicest one I’ve driven was the 430i GC also m sport lol
Appreciate 0