F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > DIY maintenance and warranty - definitive answer?
ARMA SPEED

08-21-2019, 06:49 AM   #1
gippy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 440i, pre-LCI, w/MPPSK

DIY maintenance and warranty - definitive answer?

hi all...

hoping to garner as much opinions on the above as possible.
I just extended my warranty another year on my 440i, as it's coming up to 3 years old. The cost was reasonable - £339 with £250 excess if anything goes wrong.

I asked BMW customer services UK about the consequences of DIY maintenance and warranty claims. I've also read the T&C's of the policy document carefully. I'm fully aware of what it says -

b) After each service, please ensure that the
relevant service details are completed in
your service records by the servicing
garage and obtain a VAT receipt for the
service. You must keep all such receipts
for reference in the event of a claim.

BMW replied and said they understood my query but it would depend on if the servicing was done by a BMW trained technician (so...no).

It's still not absolutely crystal clear about what would happen, in the following hypothetical scenario.

Lets assume that the car has been maintained meticulously by myself (unqualified, not a trained technician) in line with the technical documentation, including interim oil services every 10k miles, and only ever using BMW parts/oil bought from the dealer (apart from discs, pads and brake fluid).... and of course kept all the receipts, and a log of when the work was done.
What I wouldn't have is a VAT receipt for the labour element, as I wouldn't be using a servicing garage.

What would happen if something crazy happened with the engine - i don't know, a turbo failure, VANOS, something horrible. Or the transmission. Or leaking suspension.

Would BMW automatically, as their default position, say "you do not have VAT receipt showing the labour performed, therefore, car not maintained properly, therefore we cannot repair under warranty" ?

Or would they look at things on a case by case basis, diagnose the fault of the failure first, and then go "yes turbo has gone, this has nothing to do with lack of maintenance - no problem, replace under warranty".

Does anyone actually know the administrative procedures involved, how they investigate a warranty claim and how they formulate the outcome?

I'm not exactly fussed over being forced to do oil changes at my independent, for the sake of keeping the warranty. But if i have some kind of engine failure, and BMW go "we can't do anything as you replaced your own brake discs".....that would be annoying!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 07:27 AM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

They only warranty service they could deny is on parts that they did not install. If you do your brakes and there's an engine failure they can't blame the brake work for that.
Appreciate 1
Wgosma806.00
      08-21-2019, 07:50 AM   #3
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 330ixT

BMW could ask for qualified service history on those components.

If you don't have qualified receipts, you may have to go out of pocket.

ie, in your example, you want to change your own oil. But it the timing chain goes and pistons flail into valves and bend... A high ticket warranty claim may ask for the qualified work in writing before honoring that claim.

You quoted it, so don't be surprised. If anyone tells you otherwise, are they BMW trained, and can they guarantee any future warranty work? There's a reason why I pay for my free oil changes.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 10:44 AM   #4
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

I don't think you will get a definitive answer. BMW are covering themselves and your printed reply, reference a 'trained technician', is where the door is wedged open for warranty refusals.

From a UK perspective, and having had an engine replaced under the extended warranty, I can assure you that BMW will most likely look at the service records, if they have any question about cause.

My case I had conversation with BMW UK's engine guy, he told me he had reviewed the service history. Result... no issue, "if the car needs a new engine it will get one".

Take an engine trashed by a timing chain/guide failure. BMW will likely review the service record, oil service intervals, were they on time? Who did them? Are they stamped? Are they authentic? etc. How do you prove to BMW you did the job to BMW standards? Could well be done to a higher standard, but who takes the responsibility and liability? BMW do, if their agent says they did the job.

We take a risk, if we do anything ourselves. Weigh up that risk, perhaps it is worth taking, changing brakes, etc., but oil servicing on an engine (under the insured warranty T&C's), which could be a write off. Not a risk I'd take for a few extra £'s for an oil service, where BMW take 100% of the risk and is definitely 100% under the BMW umbrella (no debates) come claim time.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 11:49 AM   #5
gippy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 440i, pre-LCI, w/MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I don't think you will get a definitive answer. BMW are covering themselves and your printed reply, reference a 'trained technician', is where the door is wedged open for warranty refusals.

From a UK perspective, and having had an engine replaced under the extended warranty, I can assure you that BMW will most likely look at the service records, if they have any question about cause.

My case I had conversation with BMW UK's engine guy, he told me he had reviewed the service history. Result... no issue, "if the car needs a new engine it will get one".

Take an engine trashed by a timing chain/guide failure. BMW will likely review the service record, oil service intervals, were they on time? Who did them? Are they stamped? Are they authentic? etc. How do you prove to BMW you did the job to BMW standards? Could well be done to a higher standard, but who takes the responsibility and liability? BMW do, if their agent says they did the job.

We take a risk, if we do anything ourselves. Weigh up that risk, perhaps it is worth taking, changing brakes, etc., but oil servicing on an engine (under the insured warranty T&C's), which could be a write off. Not a risk I'd take for a few extra £'s for an oil service, where BMW take 100% of the risk and is definitely 100% under the BMW umbrella (no debates) come claim time.

thanks for all responses so far.
Sounds like to ensure my engine and transmission remain covered, i'll have to do the main oil services + spark plugs at my independent. They're the only engine related items on the service schedule.

that should keep me safe then.

I suppose interim oil services, micro/air filters, brake fluid, discs and pads I can do myself.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 02:52 PM   #6
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gippy View Post
hi all...

hoping to garner as much opinions on the above as possible.
I just extended my warranty another year on my 440i, as it's coming up to 3 years old. The cost was reasonable - £339 with £250 excess if anything goes wrong.

I asked BMW customer services UK about the consequences of DIY maintenance and warranty claims. I've also read the T&C's of the policy document carefully. I'm fully aware of what it says -

b) After each service, please ensure that the
relevant service details are completed in
your service records by the servicing
garage and obtain a VAT receipt for the
service. You must keep all such receipts
for reference in the event of a claim.

BMW replied and said they understood my query but it would depend on if the servicing was done by a BMW trained technician (so...no).

It's still not absolutely crystal clear about what would happen, in the following hypothetical scenario.

Lets assume that the car has been maintained meticulously by myself (unqualified, not a trained technician) in line with the technical documentation, including interim oil services every 10k miles, and only ever using BMW parts/oil bought from the dealer (apart from discs, pads and brake fluid).... and of course kept all the receipts, and a log of when the work was done.
What I wouldn't have is a VAT receipt for the labour element, as I wouldn't be using a servicing garage.

What would happen if something crazy happened with the engine - i don't know, a turbo failure, VANOS, something horrible. Or the transmission. Or leaking suspension.

Would BMW automatically, as their default position, say "you do not have VAT receipt showing the labour performed, therefore, car not maintained properly, therefore we cannot repair under warranty" ?

Or would they look at things on a case by case basis, diagnose the fault of the failure first, and then go "yes turbo has gone, this has nothing to do with lack of maintenance - no problem, replace under warranty".

Does anyone actually know the administrative procedures involved, how they investigate a warranty claim and how they formulate the outcome?

I'm not exactly fussed over being forced to do oil changes at my independent, for the sake of keeping the warranty. But if i have some kind of engine failure, and BMW go "we can't do anything as you replaced your own brake discs".....that would be annoying!
To be Absolutely clear, the Definitive Answer is Maybe.
Appreciate 3
ndx6spd79.00
eluded3005.00
gippy230.00
      08-21-2019, 03:00 PM   #7
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Exactly.
Appreciate 1
ali820271.50
      08-22-2019, 02:19 AM   #8
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Exactly.
Keep the oil and filter receipts.
Appreciate 0