F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > F30 (Non-M) Conversion
Extreme Powerhouse

04-09-2020, 11:02 AM   #1
ButteredPasta
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i

F30 (Non-M) Conversion

Looking to be pointed in the right direction, I would love to be able to change the body style a bit to my liking and see tons of exterior options but most of these are labeled as 'M-Performance Only'

Is there a best route to take when it comes to converting?
I really dislike the chrome currently on the rear bumper and would also like to open the front a little bit for when I install an intercooler.

Any response is appreciated!

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 02:27 PM   #2
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Looks like you have a Luxury Line... which has various chrome bits through out.

My personal take... either leave all of it alone or delete (black out) all of it. Theres no in between unless you want the car to lose its uniform look.

I think your car looks great and Id be very hesitant to rip off factory bumpers and paint for aftermarket bumpers and paint. That being said... "all the cool kids are doing it."

I'd rather have the original mint sleeper 335 but that's just me!

If you do decide to swap for M Sport... I would budget at least $2k to do it properly. Anything less will be a hack job and ruin the car.
Appreciate 1
BMWILUVU809.00
      04-09-2020, 02:29 PM   #3
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Also... I think deleting the front plate would be a nice touch. Bumper plugs to fill any holes left behind.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 04:47 PM   #4
Fez_7
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

I'm in the UK and have a SE model which is similar to yours. A colleague at work reversed into me but luckily my local bodyshop had a used but genuine M Sport front bumper in mint condition which I got sprayed and fitted which my colleague paid for. I've just bought the M Performance front splitter in gloss black to go with it.

For the rear bumper I'm going to wrap the panel just above the exhaust in gloss black. I've also just bought a cheap universal diffuser in gloss black to stick over it. Surprisingly it actually looks quite good and the rear will look similar to the M Performance diffuser once complete.

For the side skirt splitters I've found some gloss black ones to fit the SE model rather than the M Sport skirts from Maxton Design here in the UK.

I think the biggest difference between the base model and M Sport is the front bumper. The side skirts and rear bumper are not massively different hence why I don't feel it's worth spending so much on the full bodykit to then spend even more on the M Performance kit as well. I've also already got a replica gloss black M Performance boot spoiler fitted to complete the package.

Hope this helps you consider options of modding your BMW without breaking the bank!
      04-09-2020, 05:37 PM   #5
ButteredPasta
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fez_7 View Post
I'm in the UK and have a SE model which is similar to yours. A colleague at work reversed into me but luckily my local bodyshop had a used but genuine M Sport front bumper in mint condition which I got sprayed and fitted which my colleague paid for. I've just bought the M Performance front splitter in gloss black to go with it.

For the rear bumper I'm going to wrap the panel just above the exhaust in gloss black. I've also just bought a cheap universal diffuser in gloss black to stick over it. Surprisingly it actually looks quite good and the rear will look similar to the M Performance diffuser once complete.

For the side skirt splitters I've found some gloss black ones to fit the SE model rather than the M Sport skirts from Maxton Design here in the UK.

I think the biggest difference between the base model and M Sport is the front bumper. The side skirts and rear bumper are not massively different hence why I don't feel it's worth spending so much on the full bodykit to then spend even more on the M Performance kit as well. I've also already got a replica gloss black M Performance boot spoiler fitted to complete the package.

Hope this helps you consider options of modding your BMW without breaking the bank!
Yeah the first thing that came to mind before I started looking at diffuser options was wrapping or replacing the chrome to a gloss black. I'll have to look at the diffuser covers which might sound like a good option.

I'm not completely sold on the front end, I don't really like it all that much.. Maybe my mind will change after I remove the license plate bracket and plug the holes. I'd be doing all the body work myself as well.

You've pointed out some good options, that I might settle with for the time being. I just bought this one because it was too good of a deal and the previous owners kept it in the garage had it serviced and barely drove it.

Thanks for the input!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 07:50 PM   #6
Doyvidlah
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i

Quote:

Any chance you can post a few pics of your car? I'm particularly interested in the diffuser.

Thanks !
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 08:11 PM   #7
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

The Alpine white on a non-M-sport looks great. I would leave it the way it is and would not change a thing externally except classier rims.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 04:01 AM   #8
Fez_7
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyvidlah View Post
Quote:

Any chance you can post a few pics of your car? I'm particularly interested in the diffuser.

Thanks !
I've only just bought the diffuser mate and still need to get the wrap done so will be a while before it's complete but will certainly post pics once done.

If you're really interested then I can share a link to it. It was less than £20 delivered so a super cheap mod and even if it looks tacky once finished then I'll still have no regrets!
      04-10-2020, 07:41 AM   #9
ButteredPasta
Rep

Quote:
I've only just bought the diffuser mate and still need to get the wrap done so will be a while before it's complete but will certainly post pics once done.

If you're really interested then I can share a link to it. It was less than £20 delivered so a super cheap mod and even if it looks tacky once finished then I'll still have no regrets!
Haha no worries, send it over! I've been itching to get to work on her.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 11:31 AM   #10
Fez_7
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163672749619

There's the link from Fast Lane Styling in the UK. Some Chinese sellers too if you just Google universal diffuser and it's also on Wish.

I was really sceptical about how it would look but for less than £20 it was worth the punt. I've only been able to hold it up against the car at the min but looks better than what I was expecting and should blend in better once the bumper is wrapped.