F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Valet key?
Studio RSR

03-10-2012, 02:36 PM   #1
Raspartan
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Valet key?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Is there something equivalent to a valet key for the F30?

I read through the manual, but the only thing I saw was the ability to lock the trunk and glove compartment with the integrated key. Presumably you then hand over the key fob without the integrated key.

I hate handing over my keys to any parking attendant but there's a lot of that going on here in the downtown area. What would really be nice is some kind of "valet mode" that would restrict operation of the car so that I would know it couldn't be taken for a joyride.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2012, 02:42 PM   #2
Rdx
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

You're correct, removing the integrated key does the same as the old valid parking key.

Untested; but you can leave the car running and let it be driven away. It canot be started unless you hand over the keys again. But the next problem you get is; how is your car going to be closed (alarm) properly after your car is parked.

Last edited by Rdx; 03-10-2012 at 02:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2012, 04:40 PM   #3
danarcher
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i F30, 1984 325e E30

Garage List
1984 BMW 325e  [0.00]
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
The car has a setting in the iDrive menu to set how long it takes for the car to self-lock. (ie mine is set to 2 minutes after I leave the car). This probably detects the lack of key and locks the car when it is shut off by the valet.
      03-10-2012, 05:56 PM   #4
pcbrew
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdx View Post
Untested; but you can leave the car running and let it be driven away. It canot be started unless you hand over the keys again.
Yeah, not so sure about this "feature" The key can tell if it's inside the car and not allow locking via comfort access, so seems like there should be some kind of audible warning if you take the key out of the car with it running.

Here is a scenario that happened to me a couple weeks ago:
  • In a rented Nissan minivan with same start/stop ignition as new BMWs.
  • In Western NY and it's night and snowing.
  • Parked on street in front of a restaurant.
  • After dinner, start car to warm it up and put key in coat pocket and exit car to brush snow off the windows/windshield.
  • Key fall out of pocket into the snow and do not notice
  • Leave for our hotel 15mi away.
  • Luckily, I stopped 1/4 mi away to clear the windshield better and let defogger work. At that time, I felt around for the key and found it was missing. Drove back to where we had parked and, with the light from the headlights, managed to find the key in the snow on the street.

Not sure what would have happened if I hadn't stopped until we got to our destination and shut off the car, but it wouldn't have been fun.
- Tear up room looking for keys the next day for drive back to airport
- Who know if / when I would think about potential for dropping the keys the night before
- Even then, would have to call cab or get ride back to where we were and hope the keys were still there and not completely buried or run over.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2012, 06:41 PM   #5
spark58
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d

I imagine it is exactly the same for the F30 as on my father's F25 (X3). The moment you step outside of the car a *BONG* sounds and warning messages are displayed on the iDrive screen and driver's warning display under the speedometer and rev counter which show a key with a line though it and the message: 'Ignition Key Removed'. You can continue to drive the car but if you stop and turn off the ignition you cannot restart it.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2012, 06:52 PM   #6
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbrew View Post
The key can tell if it's inside the car and not allow locking via comfort access, so seems like there should be some kind of audible warning if you take the key out of the car with it running.

Here is a scenario that happened to me a couple weeks ago:
  • In a rented Nissan minivan with same start/stop ignition as new BMWs.
  • In Western NY and it's night and snowing.
  • Parked on street in front of a restaurant.
  • After dinner, start car to warm it up and put key in coat pocket and exit car to brush snow off the windows/windshield.
  • Key fall out of pocket into the snow and do not notice
  • Leave for our hotel 15mi away.
  • Luckily, I stopped 1/4 mi away to clear the windshield better and let defogger work. At that time, I felt around for the key and found it was missing. Drove back to where we had parked and, with the light from the headlights, managed to find the key in the snow on the street.

Not sure what would have happened if I hadn't stopped until we got to our destination and shut off the car, but it wouldn't have been fun.
- Tear up room looking for keys the next day for drive back to airport
- Who know if / when I would think about potential for dropping the keys the night before
- Even then, would have to call cab or get ride back to where we were and hope the keys were still there and not completely buried or run over.
If I compare the system to my X5 with comfort access and all, it does give a warning when I take the key with me while the car is running. But I agree, in your situation something should've warned you as well. A new key, including programming, costs about 450 USD from what I've heard (we once thought we lost a key but found it days later after all),

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2012, 08:04 PM   #7
Raspartan
Captain
Canada
Rep

Well that's an experiment I will have to try when the car comes in. However it's probably not an ideal solution from a valet/parking lot standpoint.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2012, 09:04 PM   #8
ƒ°
Rep
Drives: ✚

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspartan View Post
Is there something equivalent to a valet key for the F30?

I read through the manual, but the only thing I saw was the ability to lock the trunk and glove compartment with the integrated key. Presumably you then hand over the key fob without the integrated key.

I hate handing over my keys to any parking attendant but there's a lot of that going on here in the downtown area. What would really be nice is some kind of "valet mode" that would restrict operation of the car so that I would know it couldn't be taken for a joyride.
This was confirmed to me by my CA. Without the integrated key, the Valet can not get into the glove compartment or trunk (if you've locked the trunk from inside the glove).
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2012, 10:04 PM   #9
Raspartan
Captain
Canada
Rep

OK well that's nice to have confirmed, at least.

Now all I need is a "valet mode", but I'm certain there's nothing like that and maybe I'm being too paranoid anyway. The easier solution is to just not park at a lot that demands that I leave the key. Just to be clear, I realize that there would be no solution if I were to visit some place where they would require a valet to park my car.
Appreciate 0