F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Any 2018 330i reviews w/6 manual trans + handling questions?
GetBMWParts

09-09-2020, 02:36 PM   #1
rvruggiero
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Sport Premium

Any 2018 330i reviews w/6 manual trans + handling questions?

Looking at buying a 2018 330i with the 6 speed manual, but can't seem to find any videos online of test drives or reviews with the manual transmission. Wondering if anyone could post a video test drive of their stock 2017-2018 car, the way it sounds, when shifting, etc. Hard to find anything online about this model year (even slim pickings with other model years as most reviews are Automatics)

Also curious if the 2018 330i can have the sport seats, variable sport steering, heated steering wheel, and 18inch 397's but not have the sport suspension - I've read on F30post that it's a dealbreaker to have the base suspension, but as someone who just enjoys driving mountain roads, but doesn't need to push the car to the absolute limits handling wise, wondering if its really that big a deal?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by rvruggiero; 09-09-2020 at 04:17 PM..
Appreciate 1
      09-10-2020, 08:37 AM   #2
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
I can't help with most of your requests, but will provide a comment about the suspension.

I would consider the static MSport or Adaptive Suspension a "must-have" option. I've driven 330's, 328's, 335s, and 340's with the standard suspension and found them rather floaty and tend to have more body roll in the corners than I think they should have. I didn't even like it just on test drive loops on urban roads/highways. I couldn't imagine it on any type of backroad.

Even though you won't be driving it hard, if you're going to take it up in the mountains and enjoy the great roads your area offers, than I can't imagine why you wouldn't want the stiffer suspension. It's by no means harsh, but will give you a more stable and controlled platform to enjoy no matter how hard you drive.
      09-11-2020, 12:32 AM   #3
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
I would consider the static MSport or Adaptive Suspension a "must-have" option.
^^^. This

330 with stick sounds like a unicorn
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 12:47 AM   #4
Firaxis
Captain
Rep
Drives: Car

I test drove an F series 430i manual, I could list it everything out but the ultimate conclusion is go for the 340i if you can.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 09:08 AM   #5
dmaxdmax
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6-spd

I have a 340i manual. Don't care for the gearing, but I'm getting used to it.

Autorev matching will annoy you, but it can be turned off...or you can adopt your driving to it.

Mine is awd...good luck finding a rwd manual...they're becoming the last of their kind. I've read of the few manuals made, twice as many are Xdrive (anecdotal from here. ).

It is really comfortable, stable, can do all you need and a lot more. Felt much bigger than an E46...and it 'sort of' is.

The b58 has a lot of power...all of which I rarely use and when I do, it's over in 2 secs.

Think of it as a cross between a Buick and BMW...and don't kill yourself fiddling with the electronics. I'm too comfortable, feel too safe...feel like I'm riding in it not so much 'driving' it. (But I come by way of both an e36 and e46--the cars are becoming more stable as generations advance--they're prepping us for automatic driving cars, I'm afraid. )

dmax on FB

My last pre-covid standup set
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 10:52 AM   #6
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxdmax View Post

Think of it as a cross between a Buick and BMW...and don't kill yourself fiddling with the electronics. I'm too comfortable, feel too safe...feel like I'm riding in it not so much 'driving' it. (But I come by way of both an e36 and e46--the cars are becoming more stable as generations advance--they're prepping us for automatic driving cars, I'm afraid. )
This is a great point. For me it isn't that I feel too comfortable or safe, its simply the car isolates you from the environment.

My E46 felt like I was strapping on an Ironman suit. The F32 is like piloting a corporate jet. I know for a fact my 435 will blow the doors off my old 323i, but I don't have any of the feedback from the older car. You don't feel it hunker down at speeds above 80mph, you can't feel the suspension "squat" under g-loads in a corner, zero steering feedback.

Unfortunately, no modern car I've driven provides the same experience. It's something we'll never have again, and if you missed out on that era of vehicle, you're really missing out.
      09-11-2020, 04:43 PM   #7
Moupe
Monobloc
United_States
Rep
Drives: '02 M Coupe - '19 F31 330ix

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
This is a great point. For me it isn't that I feel too comfortable or safe, its simply the car isolates you from the environment.

My E46 felt like I was strapping on an Ironman suit. The F32 is like piloting a corporate jet. I know for a fact my 435 will blow the doors off my old 323i, but I don't have any of the feedback from the older car. You don't feel it hunker down at speeds above 80mph, you can't feel the suspension "squat" under g-loads in a corner, zero steering feedback.

Unfortunately, no modern car I've driven provides the same experience. It's something we'll never have again, and if you missed out on that era of vehicle, you're really missing out.
My F31 with THP feels numb and sterile compared to my 2002 M Coupe. Last of a breed and era is correct. Money gang mob mayn!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 07:22 PM   #8
skw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvruggiero View Post
Looking at buying a 2018 330i with the 6 speed manual, but can't seem to find any videos online of test drives or reviews with the manual transmission. Wondering if anyone could post a video test drive of their stock 2017-2018 car, the way it sounds, when shifting, etc. Hard to find anything online about this model year (even slim pickings with other model years as most reviews are Automatics)

Also curious if the 2018 330i can have the sport seats, variable sport steering, heated steering wheel, and 18inch 397's but not have the sport suspension - I've read on F30post that it's a dealbreaker to have the base suspension, but as someone who just enjoys driving mountain roads, but doesn't need to push the car to the absolute limits handling wise, wondering if its really that big a deal?

Thanks in advance!
Manual transmissions are rare and will be hard to find. I had two, both had to be factory ordered. My 1st one was a 320 w/ 6mt, rwd, sport pkg (incl passive 704 sport suspension), premium pkg, and lighting pkg. That car was quick, agile, and just overall fun to drive. I turned that in and ordered a 340 also w/ 6mt and rwd, but then also added 2VF adaptive suspension and MPPSK. Both cars were delivered at the Performance Center so hence ~1k mi drive back home. In the 320, my wife complained that it was too stiff. In the 340, even in sport most of the way, no complaints. On curves and highway off ramps, the 320 was much more planted than the 340. I eventually installed H&R sport springs which helped a great deal.

I say that even though it is going to be a hard and long search, wait to get exactly what you want. Get the manual transmission. Also get friendly w/ a vin decoder and find one w/ the 704 suspension. Another must have is xenon or LED headlights. The xenons on my 320 were brighter than the LED's on my 340.
'07 4Runner V8 Limited 4WD
Appreciate 0