F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Need help preventing rims from getting dirty
ARMA SPEED

06-21-2021, 07:32 AM   #23
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Johnson View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
The stock brake pads are only average for performance and they put out gobs of sticky black dust. But as soon as you complain about dust people will chime in telling you to get ceramic pads like Akebono.

Don't do it. They have only average performance and ceramic pads need to warm up to braking temperature before they work. (Not talking about air temperature here). So jump into the car after it's been sitting for a while and you might rear end someone at the first stop sign.

Get Hawk 5.0 pads for street use. Best bite and low dust.

Don't get anything slotted or dimpled. They are noisy and not more than average. Best street rotors are fully Crossdrilled which is why BMW puts them on M3/M4. I recommend StopTech Crossdrilled.

If you tell me what year & model car and Grey or blue brake calipers I have part numbers

Hope this helps!
Hey johnung

Can you recommend street pads for a 435i with 370mm rotors? Just want good street performance without the dust.
These two products help a lot. Clean your wheels and then ceramic coat them. It makes it much more difficult for anything to stick to them.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 07:33 AM   #24
BMWF212021
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamTaylor11 View Post
Does anyone know how what I can do to prevent my rims getting so dirty? I believe it's the brake dust, if so is their anything I can do to stop getting so much dust? I was thinking about getting new brake pads and new slotted and drill rotors.
I used gloss black non-stick paint that dirty/dust slide off
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 09:33 AM   #25
Randy Johnson
M340i
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [10.00]
Thanks for the part numbers Johnung!
Appreciate 1
johnung4526.50
      06-23-2021, 10:37 AM   #26
frchdragon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Quote:
The stock brake pads are only average for performance and they put out gobs of sticky black dust. But as soon as you complain about dust people will chime in telling you to get ceramic pads like Akebono.

Don't do it. They have only average performance and ceramic pads need to warm up to braking temperature before they work. (Not talking about air temperature here). So jump into the car after it's been sitting for a while and you might rear end someone at the first stop sign.

Hope this helps!
I have been using Akebono brake pads on many cars, on the street and on the track. I use my brakes at the last moment, being at the red light or a stop sign. I drive my car is very cold and very hot weather, long distances, stop and go traffic, all kind of conditions.
I used many brands of pads with many BMWs, I used track pads, race pads... you name it.
I don't see why people are saying that the Akebono need to be warmed up or you will rear end someone, this is absolutely not true. This is not like a pure race pad.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 12:35 PM   #27
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by frchdragon View Post
Quote:

Hope this helps!
I have been using Akebono brake pads on many cars, on the street and on the track. I use my brakes at the last moment, being at the red light or a stop sign. I drive my car is very cold and very hot weather, long distances, stop and go traffic, all kind of conditions.
I used many brands of pads with many BMWs, I used track pads, race pads... you name it.
I don't see why people are saying that the Akebono need to be warmed up or you will rear end someone, this is absolutely not true. This is not like a pure race pad.
I don't know what to tell you. Maybe you baby your brakes a little more at the start. Maybe you are subconsciously touching the brakes enough to warm them up before that first stop. Could speculate all day long.

I don't think that's the key issue. Akebono and other ceramic pads are sold almost singularly on their low dust feature. Putting the warm up time issue aside, the reason not to buy them is that their performance is nothing special. No better than average.

The reason that I recommend Hawk 5.0 is that their braking performance is so much better. Best bite by far over other pads. When a car stops short in front of me, or a kid on a bike cuts out in front of me or I need to emergency brake for any reason, I do not want average brakes.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 08:16 PM   #28
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: -F85 X5M-

Quote:
Originally Posted by frchdragon View Post
Johnung is perhaps one of the rare posters I've seen (here or in other forums) that speaks negatively about Akebono pads. Almost everyone I know (online or in person) praise them. I agree that Hawk are good pads. However, while there is some inherent truth about warmup and ceramic pads, his statement is quite hyperbolic.
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 08:32 PM   #29
frchdragon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven11 View Post
Johnung is perhaps one of the rare posters I've seen (here or in other forums) that speaks negatively about Akebono pads. Almost everyone I know (online or in person) praise them. I agree that Hawk are good pads. However, while there is some inherent truth about warmup and ceramic pads, his statement is quite hyperbolic.
I was thinking about it and I remembered using some very cheap ceramic pads in some cars, they did need to warm up a bit and it was annoying, they also crumbled like dried cookies on the track.
I do not have this issue with the Akebono pads, I have to agree that they are a tad better with heat but I don't have any issues with cold pads.
On the track they can take a beating with zero fade. And this with on a small track with lots of corners and a heavy 5 series.
I agree that the Hawk are great pads, but I wouldn't dismiss the Akebono.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 06:41 AM   #30
plodmanau
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 340i m-sport

Garage List
There are a few youtube videos and comparisons of some brake dust repellent products that you apply to your rims. They seem to help. I intend to try the Armor All product. Computer is also saying my rear brake pads are due so I might try some EBC's.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 07:22 AM   #31
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

This stuff works very well in keeping wheels clean:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It lasts at least six months, but $22 is pretty steep. The last time I bought some I got it for $9, so search around for better prices.

If you're in the habit of regular washings then an alternative is using the best wheel cleaner, or anything cleaner for that matter, that I've come across, Flash Brown Royal. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by Billfitz; 06-25-2021 at 07:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2023, 02:10 AM   #32
abraarukuk
Rep
Drives: BMW 530i

Quote:
I recommend the Hawk 5.0 pads. Best street pad by far. If you have a 435i with blue calipers then you have front 370mm and rear 345mm. Part numbers are in the attached photo.
JUhong, i got 2013 530i F10 .
it says not compatible,any help
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2023, 07:12 AM   #33
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

That's because an F10 isn't an F30. Go to realoem.com, find the OEM part number for your pads, cross reference that at the Hawk site to see if they make them for your car.
Appreciate 1
johnung4526.50
      09-05-2023, 10:05 AM   #34
Runner340
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 340i xDrive

My powder coated gloss black wheels with ceramic coating stay clean running Hawk 5.0 Street pads but all bets are off when I wash the car or drive in the rain. The rotors get a glazing of rust which ends up on the wheels as soon as I drive it. I've resorted to not getting water or cleaners on the wheels during washing and had some limited success using a Swiffer Multi-Surface Duster which gets into the dry wheel barrels but the obsessive compulsiveness in me more times than not has me removing the wheels for a more thorough cleaning.

Last edited by Runner340; 09-05-2023 at 10:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 09:36 AM   #35
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner340 View Post
My powder coated gloss black wheels with ceramic coating stay clean running Hawk 5.0 Street pads but all bets are off when I wash the car or drive in the rain. The rotors get a glazing of rust which ends up on the wheels as soon as I drive it. I've resorted to not getting water or cleaners on the wheels during washing and had some limited success using a Swiffer Multi-Surface Duster which gets into the dry wheel barrels but the obsessive compulsiveness in me more times than not has me removing the wheels for a more thorough cleaning.
Yup gloss black anything looks fantastic when perfectly clean, otherwise not so much. People often think that white shows dirt but my old white car could be filthy and it wasn’t obvious. Black cars are the opposite. A few rain drops and it can look bad! My wife loves black cars so I have learned to immediately invest in a really good ceramic coating with annual checkups and reapplication.
Appreciate 0