F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Andream MMI Box - Wireless CarPlay & Android Auto
ARMA SPEED

06-21-2021, 02:13 PM   #8097
RAAF12
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 120i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesy_cube View Post
Hi!

I just installed the MMI box. While everything(including carplay) works, I get almost 0 sounds. I thought there was no audio, but when setting the volume to 20(max) on the BMW NBT really created a barely audible sound.

I checked everything but can't really figure out.
The fibre optic cable is moved to the new quadlock so I don't know what the problem is.
Can someone help me?
Did you set the AUX audio to on in the iDrive menu?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 06:39 PM   #8098
bluesy_cube
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F22 M235i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAAF12 View Post
Did you set the AUX audio to on in the iDrive menu?
Hi!

Yes, of course. If I don't set to AUX, I literally get no sound. Setting the NBT to AUX and max volume, I get a bit of sound. Really inaudible volume though.

Searching more, it looks to be common issue for H/K option HU
      06-22-2021, 02:55 AM   #8099
bluesy_cube
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F22 M235i xDrive

Alright, stat report for any other people attempting to do this.

Apparently I was stupid enough not being able to distinguish the AUX volume vs entertainment system volume.
At the installation, most people dont have the center panel installed back, which leave them an only option to max the AUX volume to 20 using iDrive controller.
This is clearly NOT the same as the entertainment system colume which can be controlled only from the center panel dial. Once I reconnected the center panel and increased the volume via the dial, damn the sound is loud and clear!!

I got other new problems though.
The screen would randomly go black like it is in on but shows nothing. Sometimes, the display would simply show No Signal. This seems to be totally random and happens to when I am navigating through NBT system.

Another problem is that my time/date cannot be saved, vehicle error msg doesnt show me anything, etc. basically the cluster cannot communicate with the HU anymore. This is often the caused by not moving the green optic cable from the original quadlock into the new quadlock, but I made sure I transferred it correctly.

I am talking with the seller and they are going to send me new power cable and hopefully new lvds cable. This has been very very annoying experience so far for me.

If I happen to find resolutions, I will also post here. If someone can help me where I can dig in to resolve my issues, that would be wonderful.
Appreciate 1
vennids12.00
      06-22-2021, 03:46 AM   #8100
Domih
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F21 118i

Quote:
Alright, stat report for any other people attempting to do this.

Another problem is that my time/date cannot be saved, vehicle error msg doesnt show me anything, etc. basically the cluster cannot communicate with the HU anymore. This is often the caused by not moving the green optic cable from the original quadlock into the new quadlock, but I made sure I transferred it correctly.
1. Happens to the best

2. You probably forgot the MOST (optic fibre) cable

Edit: Oops I didn't read carefully.
Hope you did not break the optic cable

Last edited by Domih; 06-22-2021 at 03:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 06:32 AM   #8101
plastelino
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW 420D

Hi there. Everything works great for me, with android auto on my redmi 10, until today. Today everything has started to go very slow, I can't move through the menus with the control wheel, I don't know what could have happened. Yesterday I bimmercode a couple of things in FEM, but I can't see why it could have affected it. Any ideas? Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 07:38 AM   #8102
plastelino
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastelino View Post
Hi there. Everything works great for me, with android auto on my redmi 10, until today. Today everything has started to go very slow, I can't move through the menus with the control wheel, I don't know what could have happened. Yesterday I bimmercode a couple of things in FEM, but I can't see why it could have affected it. Any ideas? Thank you.
Solved!!! Wireless playback was on in android settings!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 07:53 AM   #8103
plastelino
Spain
Rep

Duplicate
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 09:02 AM   #8104
mun_96
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 series F30

Hi guys,
I have the NBT EVO Andream box. I am updating it and Andream sent me over the following files.
They are
1.gemini_pack,
2.ISPBOOOT,
3.rhdh123aknkan,
4.MCU.png

I have successfully updated using Gemini_pack.
do I also need to update the MCU and what does MCU update do?

also what is file number 3 (rhdh123aknkan)?

many thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 11:03 AM   #8105
Unspec
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Does anyone know what the actual differences between the A and B versions are?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 12:06 PM   #8106
RAAF12
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspec View Post
Does anyone know what the actual differences between the A and B versions are?
Maybe someone will open the box and make a picture of the actual PCB and compare it to posting one pictures? I know some newer boxes have a different colored Wifi connector or no connector but a cheap wire outside the back of the MMI.
The bottom line is that YOUR MMI box works! Right?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 12:18 PM   #8107
RAAF12
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mun_96 View Post
Hi guys,
I have the NBT EVO Andream box. I am updating it and Andream sent me over the following files.
They are
1.gemini_pack,
2.ISPBOOOT,
3.rhdh123aknkan,
4.MCU.png

many thanks

MCU means microcontroller and is a chip on the PCB. Vendors can change the software in case of flaws. So bugs can repair with an MCU firmware update. Bottomline is that sometimes new bugs are introduced to the system. It's a good practice NEVER update a MCU when you are satisfied with the box.
Appreciate 1
mun_961.50
      06-23-2021, 12:44 PM   #8108
Unspec
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Quote:
Maybe someone will open the box and make a picture of the actual PCB and compare it to posting one pictures? I know some newer boxes have a different colored Wifi connector or no connector but a cheap wire outside the back of the MMI.
The bottom line is that YOUR MMI box works! Right?
I'm more wondering about software and integration differences, I don't really care about hardware if it works.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 12:50 PM   #8109
mun_96
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hi guys,
They are
1.gemini_pack,
2.ISPBOOOT,
3.rhdh123aknkan,
4.MCU.png

many thanks

MCU means microcontroller and is a chip on the PCB. Vendors can change the software in case of flaws. So bugs can repair with an MCU firmware update. Bottomline is that sometimes new bugs are introduced to the system. It's a good practice NEVER update a MCU when you are satisfied with the box.
many thanks boss, I will leave the MCU untouched then!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 01:38 PM   #8110
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspec View Post
I'm more wondering about software and integration differences, I don't really care about hardware if it works.
The software for all of these units, A, B, and B2, use the same partition structure.

The main difference between the A units and the B/B2 units has been that the A units use full updates (ISPBOOOT file format), i.e. that is updates flash all partitions. The B/B2 units have been using "partial" updates (GEMINI_PACK file format), i.e. these updates only flash the main partitions. But this seems to be changing. We are now seeing the option to flash all partitions on the B/B2 units.

Also, as mentioned in post#1 each vendor has implemented a security check in their software that prevents cross-flashing one vendor's software on another vendor's unit.
Appreciate 1
x-m4n146.00
      06-23-2021, 02:18 PM   #8111
KyleK29
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328d

Quote:
Yes I do have Harman/Kardon sound. I guess this is common problem for NBT HU with HK...
I am going to retry and connect everything secured today. The seller is going to send me a new harness but i might just try again with what I have.

Thanks!

I have HK and my unit works fine, but is worth noting that there's no visual indication on the screen of the HK (cars amp) audio level while on the MMI units view.

So just make sure you have the the cars audio volume turned up a tad. Then set the audio in the MMI settings to a good level. As others have said, also verify you have the harness fully seated.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 03:49 PM   #8112
arf_it
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Hi guys,
They are
1.gemini_pack,
2.ISPBOOOT,
3.rhdh123aknkan,
4.MCU.png

many thanks
Can you share the update file?
My box is not working with my screen and i would like to verify if yours is a newer version...

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 04:05 PM   #8113
mun_96
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arf_it View Post
Can you share the update file?
My box is not working with my screen and i would like to verify if yours is a newer version...

Thanks
Sure thing, here's the link to the update.

https://mega.nz/folder/CBgAGTTB#AT7WZt3lXnSooWt8QM3O1g
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2021, 10:27 PM   #8114
hdxbrain
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30

Can someone tell me which firmware version I can flash? Some things don't work properly.

https://www.bildhost.com/images/2021...624_052441.jpg

SDK Version 25.0.0.5.6.0.0.0

Cust Version 3.1.2.gpe.b

MCU Version 20.8.19.23

Last edited by hdxbrain; 06-23-2021 at 10:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 04:32 AM   #8115
y_lexus
Rep
Drives: BMW X2

MMI for i3, under back seat install

Hi all, I'd like to buy an MMI to install in my i3 2015 BEV under the back seat. I have a larger 10" screen, and I found in many places (also in this thread https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...postcount=4706) that such set up may not or should not work, but I haven't been able to understand why.

The set up I'd like to do is as follows:
- the supplied LVDS cable (green) is used to connect HU to the unit (to LVDS in on the unit)
- and existing pink cable theat goes from screen - to connect to LVDS out of the unit.

That's essentially the same connection that is provided by RoadTop in their instructions, only they say the green cable should be used to connect the screen to LVDS out on the unit, and the pink cable - to connect HU to LVDS in.

I addressed this question to many vendors of the units:

- RoadTop on Ali answered that such connection is impossible, there will be a "no signal" message, never explained why despite all my tries.

- Bavarian-automotive that list their item on eBay, said that it could be installed under the glove box only, and they provide longer cable harness for this. Never explained why it can't be installed under the back seat. That's despite a direct feedback from one owner I know who installed their unit under the seat, although he received a cable for F30 in the package by mistake.

- BMWTech say that that's the way with their unit - I can install it under the back seat, may not be possible with other units. They provide shorter and modified cable harness for their i3 MMI, and it also has modified cooling. Their video is here
, seems to connect well and work too, but they stopped asnwering to my requests a while ago and I'm unable to order from them right now. Also, their unit is significantly more expensive.

- Andream-US confirmed that their unit (SKU: EW-BMCP-NBT01A-F30) can be installed under the back seat, no issues.

As to the feedback from fellow i3 owners locally, it's hit and miss too. Most people installed the units under the glove box, some tried under the sit installation and failed, some did and it works for them well. It's absolutely unclear what lead to successful under the sit installs in the latter cases.

Would be thankful for any feedback from people who have experience with the unit (I assume they are all essentially the same from different vendors), specifically with under the back seat installation for an i3 with larger screen. The connection itself looks straightforward, cables are the same and fungible, I just don't get what should go wrong.

Last edited by y_lexus; 06-24-2021 at 04:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 09:04 AM   #8116
joshuahist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 bmw 320i

Quick question and there are 369 pages to this thread so sorry if it's already been asked. Should I be going through this thread if I want to add Android Auto to a 2018 320i? I know in the OP it says to 2016, but wasn't sure if this thread is still going.
      06-24-2021, 10:24 AM   #8117
RAAF12
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuahist View Post
Quick question and there are 369 pages to this thread so sorry if it's already been asked. Should I be going through this thread if I want to add Android Auto to a 2018 320i? I know in the OP it says to 2016, but wasn't sure if this thread is still going.
2018 means a EVO type of MMI box or check the display menu to be 100% sure. See https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/10050...59f563fetPZcRs This type of unit. I do shopping in an Ali EU warehouse it's cheaper and fast delivery without shipping cost.

Remarks, this set is not for 10.25 inch screen in combination with a CD player.

Last edited by RAAF12; 06-24-2021 at 10:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 10:44 AM   #8118
RAAF12
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
many thanks boss, I will leave the MCU untouched then!

Quote:
It's nothing, an empty file of zero bytes.
Appreciate 0