F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > World’s 1st True “Plug & Play” High-Performance N55 Engine Oil Cooler from CSF
Extreme Powerhouse

05-07-2020, 01:42 PM   #1
CSF Cooling
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F10 M5 - Imola Red

Cool World’s 1st True “Plug & Play” High-Performance N55 Engine Oil Cooler from CSF

Like other components of cooling systems, upgrades to oil cooling systems are often overlooked. Overheated oil struggles to lubricate the engine properly – harming internals over time. On any car making significantly more power than factory, or any car tracked or driven hard; upgraded oil coolers are essential for maintaining optimal temperatures – in turn, lengthening oil and engine life.

Considering their expertise and success from other BMW cooling systems, CSF created yet another upgraded oil cooling system. With optimum oil temperatures maintained, drivers can dominate the track without the dreaded “cool down” or “limp mode” breaks.

Utilizing CSF’s AC Condenser technology, this innovative dual-core in-series system features an additional 5 rows of super-high pressure multi-channel micro-tubes on the rear side of the oil cooler. The high performance tube spec, along with the high-efficiency multi-louvered fin design allows for maximum surface area contact and ~40% increase in heat rejection. The High-Performance Race-Spec Oil Cooler directly replaces the factory unit, easily bringing engine oil temperatures down to a consistent and manageable level, even under extreme & extensive driving conditions.

Features:
• Innovative 2-Core In-Series System
• Front Core Features 14 Rows, Secondary In-Series Backside Cooler Has an Additional 5 Rows of Cooling for ~40% Increase in Heat Rejection
• Converted to a Single-Pass Design with High-Pressure Return Line for Optimal Flow
• Made With CSF’s AC Condenser Technology Using a 1-Row Super High-Pressure 26mm Multi-Channel Microtube
• High Density, Multi-Louvered Fin Design for Maximum Surface Area Contact
• “Drop-in Fit” Requires No Modifications to Install
• Accepts All Attaching OEM Components Including Oil Line Connections, Mounting Brackets, and Shroud/Ducting
• World’s First and Only True “Plug-and-Play” Upgraded Engine Oil Cooler for the BMW N55 Engine
• Requires an Additional 1/2 Quart for Proper Fill-Up During Installation (OEM Cooler 7 Qts./CSF’s Upgraded Race-Spec Oil Cooler ~7.5 Qts.)
• Part Number CSF#8145

See More @: https://csfrace.com/csfs-track-ready...-for-bmws-n55/

Watch//Learn More:

Track Tested on Hittman Racing's M235i Endurance Race Car

Last edited by CSF Cooling; 05-13-2020 at 11:34 AM..
Appreciate 3
n55david1276.00
1QuikWS61615.50
G80S58133.00
      05-08-2020, 10:56 AM   #2
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Nice

What vendors are currently handling these?
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 08:05 PM   #3
mcintoshf30
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 335xi

Definitely interested in keeping oil temps low. Especially notice after awhile of pull after pull the oil temp just sits at 250, which is obviously completely normal but I'm all for cooler oil. Thanks for the share!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 01:48 PM   #4
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcintoshf30 View Post
Definitely interested in keeping oil temps low. Especially notice after awhile of pull after pull the oil temp just sits at 250, which is obviously completely normal but I'm all for cooler oil. Thanks for the share!
If you want oil temps lower, you need to change the thermostat. The oil cooler will only help prevent them from creeping higher than thermostat temp if the stock oil cooler can't keep up.
Appreciate 1
visionaut1287.50
      05-10-2020, 07:21 PM   #5
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

Quote:
From the looks of it, this is primarily designed for people who track their cars and run the engine hard consistently. Might be overkill for a daily driver. My temps sit at just under 250F as well, and to my knowledge, it's in the range that the engineers designed the engine to operate at.

By adding more cooling, you run the "risk" of making your car take longer to warm up to operating temps, which could in turn cause more wear during startups and driving while cold. If your temps start to push up into the 260 range regularly, then I think oil cooling efforts would be worth it. For me personally, I don't track my car, so $500 is a lot to solve something that I don't really see as a problem. YMMV
ronanz1816.50
      05-10-2020, 07:30 PM   #6
Jvac
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i rwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_f30 View Post
Quote:
From the looks of it, this is primarily designed for people who track their cars and run the engine hard consistently. Might be overkill for a daily driver. My temps sit at just under 250F as well, and to my knowledge, it's in the range that the engineers designed the engine to operate at.

By adding more cooling, you run the "risk" of making your car take longer to warm up to operating temps, which could in turn cause more wear during startups and driving while cold. If your temps start to push up into the 260 range regularly, then I think oil cooling efforts would be worth it. For me personally, I don't track my car, so $500 is a lot to solve something that I don't really see as a problem. YMMV
I think I agree with you. It looks great and I always appreciate some fine manufacturing and modding just for fun can be fun, but unless you find yourself consistently registering 5—10c above the 250 mark on your oil temp, this doesn't seem to make sense. In the video they note reduced oil temp of 5-10c for 500$ plus install. Is this really a problem for most of us? Even in the hot Texas summer, my car takes a while to reach 250 under normal conditions and doesn't really get any higher that I can see. If you're not doing some serious racing, this probably isn't worth the trouble. Anyone think otherwise?
      05-10-2020, 08:11 PM   #7
mcintoshf30
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Quote:
If you want oil temps lower, you need to change the thermostat. The oil cooler will only help prevent them from creeping higher than thermostat temp if the stock oil cooler can't keep up.
Oh yeah for sure, I'm getting MSL's oil thermostat hopefully soon, should help a lot.
Appreciate 1
1QuikWS61615.50
      05-11-2020, 12:16 AM   #8
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvac View Post
I think I agree with you. It looks great and I always appreciate some fine manufacturing and modding just for fun can be fun, but unless you find yourself consistently registering 5—10c above the 250 mark on your oil temp, this doesn't seem to make sense. In the video they note reduced oil temp of 5-10c for 500$ plus install. Is this really a problem for most of us? Even in the hot Texas summer, my car takes a while to reach 250 under normal conditions and doesn't really get any higher that I can see. If you're not doing some serious racing, this probably isn't worth the trouble. Anyone think otherwise?
Correct, this is focused on those of us who push the car hard for extended periods of time, to the point where the stock cooling system cannot keep up and maintain oil temps in the desired range. Definitely a track, aggressive canyon, or maybe autocross focused upgrade. However I autocrossed my car FBO with MHD 2+ and i didnt have any problems with oil temps with ~75 sec laps and only 3-4 mins wait between laps. It's really for endurance, as highlighted by OP video.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 12:34 AM   #9
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, E39 M5, NSX and AE86

Oil temps are easily lowered in the MHD app - I believe BM3 also has this feature. Only if you see them creeping higher than set target do you need this cooler.

Last edited by harkes; 05-11-2020 at 12:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 11:07 AM   #10
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Nice

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 09:08 PM   #11
CSF Cooling
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Correct, this is focused on those of us who push the car hard for extended periods of time, to the point where the stock cooling system cannot keep up and maintain oil temps in the desired range. Definitely a track, aggressive canyon, or maybe autocross focused upgrade. However I autocrossed my car FBO with MHD 2+ and i didnt have any problems with oil temps with ~75 sec laps and only 3-4 mins wait between laps. It's really for endurance, as highlighted by OP video.
The main goal for this oil cooler is to help allow track enthusiast the ability to stay on track and not have to slow down or pull over for cool-down time.

In many racing environments, racers can very rarely get a clean lap with their best time on their 1st or 2nd lap. With this oil cooler installed, racers can focus on staying on track and bringing lap times down with rhythm.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 11:22 AM   #12
CSF Cooling
United_States
Rep

Kies Motorsports just published a video of their installation a few days ago;

Appreciate 2
1QuikWS61615.50
Polo088161593.50
      06-03-2020, 12:49 PM   #13
warcraftjs
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i

How would this affect us drivers that don't have hotter weather year round? Here in Chicago-land. We will have defiant lower temp then southern states. The little bit (.5 qt) of extra oil wouldn't be bad tho. I do wonder about the potential longer operating temps. Mainly in the winter. I mean I have gone in winter my temps haven't even hit 250 on 20 min drive.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 01:14 PM   #14
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by warcraftjs View Post
How would this affect us drivers that don't have hotter weather year round? Here in Chicago-land. We will have defiant lower temp then southern states. The little bit (.5 qt) of extra oil wouldn't be bad tho. I do wonder about the potential longer operating temps. Mainly in the winter. I mean I have gone in winter my temps haven't even hit 250 on 20 min drive.
Why do you feel like you even need this in the first place then? Are you tracking the car?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 01:18 PM   #15
warcraftjs
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Why do you feel like you even need this in the first place then? Are you tracking the car?
I was just wondering how it would play in the winter.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 01:26 PM   #16
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I was just wondering how it would play in the winter.
Well if you are running stock oil T-stat then theoretically it shouldnt have have a major impact since the T-stat would not be circulating the oil through the cooler until it is up to temp. But once the T-stat starts to open the increased cooling and increase in capacity would prevent the temps from increasing at the rate they would with the stock oil cooler.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 11:55 AM   #17
warcraftjs
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well if you are running stock oil T-stat then theoretically it shouldnt have have a major impact since the T-stat would not be circulating the oil through the cooler until it is up to temp. But once the T-stat starts to open the increased cooling and increase in capacity would prevent the temps from increasing at the rate they would with the stock oil cooler.
So. Then it would be better to run a low T-stat for all round engine safety?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 12:31 PM   #18
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Not sure what you mean... the stock T-stat is totally fine for normal driving including on tuned cars. BMW designed the T-stat around the intended operating temperature of the oil in the N55. I think people just get paranoid because they arent used to seeing oil temps in the ~240F range at steady state.

There's reason no reason to change the oil cooling system unless you are pushing the car to the point where the stock system is inadequate. Running a lower T-stat can have unintended consequences, such as slower warm up to operating temp and preventing the oil from reaching at least 212F to burn off moisture.
Appreciate 2
      06-04-2020, 12:52 PM   #19
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Quote:
That's what I do with all the mods in my sig. I don't track my car, but oil temps are always reasonable & lower than factory system during daily 'spirited' driving in 80 & 90 deg temps

I use the Mosselmann Oil Thermostat - it is hi quality part, worx as a TRUE thermostat same as factory system, but allows for earlier direction to oil cooler than stock. Thermostat is variable & constantly correcting.

Mosselmann does not affect stock warm up to operating temp other than releases oil to cooler at a slightly lower temp than stock - oil temps reach at least proper temps to burn off moisture, but are lower than upper end with factory & keeps the temp stable regardless of how much you are beating on the car

The other option is the BMS style spool valve - but that does not really control as a thermostat, it simply locks the flow of oil to the cooler at full flow ALL the time

If you live in an area where there is winter with cold temps you would NOT want to use the BMS spool valve. This would result in your oil going directly to the cooler from initial start, in outside temps that may be in the teens, or below

That is waaaaay too early to have the oil go to the cooler after setting in very cold temps without a chance for the oil to warm up
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 1
      08-03-2020, 03:10 PM   #20
CSF Cooling
United_States
Rep

This month, CSF is giving away a complete N55 Cooling Package – Including this oil cooler (for the F chassis) + multiple other products!

You can enter the giveaway on our website + social media:
https://csfrace.com/csf-summer-takeo...veaway-august/
• Instagram @csf_radiators
• Facebook /CSFradiators

Learn more about the giveaway and enter at: https://csfrace.com/csf-summer-takeo...veaway-august/
Learn more about our N55 products at: https://csfrace.com/bmw-n55-cooling/

Appreciate 0