F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Help please Seat Change - Cloth Manual to Leather with Bolster Button
proTUNING Freaks

10-26-2020, 11:00 AM   #1
MarkyMark1111
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320I

Help please Seat Change - Cloth Manual to Leather with Bolster Button

Hi All,

I have read a number of posts and sorry havent come across the answer I was looking for.

I am looking to change my manual cloth seats in my BMW F30 with Leather interior. The front seats adjust manually but there is a lumber support button. Would it be challenging to supply power to the Lumber support buttons.

Would this be a simple job? any help, support, guidance and tutorials would be greatly appreciated.

I have enclosed an image of the seat I am looking to purchase.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

Last edited by MarkyMark1111; 10-27-2020 at 02:43 AM.. Reason: corrected post errors
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 05:34 PM   #2
Matador_cro
Rep
Drives: BMW F31

Hi, if this are your new seat on the picture, you donīt have lumbar support option, because that`s the one with the round button and you don`t have it...but you have side sport seat bolsters...please send pictures from you "yellow" connectors (old and new seats, driver and passenger) under the seat and then i will tell you what pin needs to be added to make it function. Please take off the battery before taking out the connectors to avoid airbag malfunction.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 02:30 AM   #3
MarkyMark1111
Rep

Smile

Hi, thanks for your response. I havent purchased the seat yet as I wasnt sure if I would be able to wire up (the now known) seat bolster botton. Thanks for reviewing and correcting me.

In theory do you think it would be a problem? from your response I gather it wont be too challenging.

Many Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 07:37 AM   #4
Matador_cro
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark1111 View Post
Hi, thanks for your response. I havent purchased the seat yet as I wasnt sure if I would be able to wire up (the now known) seat bolster botton. Thanks for reviewing and correcting me.

In theory do you think it would be a problem? from your response I gather it wont be too challenging.

Many Thanks again
It's not a problem at all, it's a direct fit beside the electrical part, and this part depends on what your new sears have additional in comparison to your old...for example, have you heated seats in your car and do the new seats have it? Just some rewiring and coding if electric
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 08:54 AM   #5
MarkyMark1111
Rep

My seats now contain no electronics, so the only new function would be to power the bolster.

I took the leap and went for the seats if you dont mind I'll be in touch when I recieve them for some assistance in re-wiring. Would you be ok if I send you a private message to discuss that?

Also there may be others in the same boat as me so I would be more than happy to take pictures to share the process so that others can gain from the experience as part of this thread.

Last edited by MarkyMark1111; 10-27-2020 at 10:00 AM.. Reason: typos
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 09:40 AM   #6
Matador_cro
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark1111 View Post
My seats now contain no electronics, so the only new function in the power to the bolster.

I took the leap and went for the seats if you dont mind I'll be in touch when I recieve them for some assistance in re-wiring. Would you be ok if I send you a private message to discuss that?

Also there may be others in the same boat as me so I would be more than happy to take pictures to share the process so that others can gain from the experience. As part of this thread.
No problem, just send some pictures of the yellow connectors on the seats
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 03:11 PM   #7
MarkyMark1111
Rep

Finally got the new seats, I have attached 2 image.
1) Existing front seat connection. (have black and grey connection)
2) New seat connection

The difference that I can see is that in the existing connection there is one black and one grey connector that isnt in the new. But this could be Seatbelt and airbag?

Thanks for your help!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 05:51 PM   #8
Matador_cro
Rep

You have a PM!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 04:01 AM   #9
MarkyMark1111
Rep

I have attached an image of my connection on the front passenger side showing the black cable going into it the click in yellow connection.

Thank you

For those viewing please feel free to also provide input. Once I have installed the seats I will be attaching images of the full job including rear seat change to help anyone in the future.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2021, 04:02 PM   #10
fili0901
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matador_cro View Post
You have a PM!
Hello, I have also upgraded from base seats to seats with bolsters. The heated seat part is working with no coding, but the bolsters are not. I will post pictures of my connector and pins.

Do you think you could point me in the right direction?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 02:06 PM   #11
junglex
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW335 Sedan

Random Question - Did you need to torq the seats down when you installed the ones?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 01:57 PM   #12
BMWOmega1981
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 316i SE

Hi All; just joined and new to this forum, but have a quick question regarding this thread;

I’m waiting delivery of some leather M sport seats, to replace my non electric, non heated, boring cloth ones. The leather ones I’m waiting for are also non heated, non electric, and only have the bolster adjustment which is electric. So my situation is exactly the same as the start of this thread.

My question is, how was the wiring done, so that the bolster adjustment was able to be used? I can see some solutions were offered via PM, but as I’ve just joined, I’m unable to send a PM for another 7 days.

Regards

Dan
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 03:29 PM   #13
Zheez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D (2015)

I did this to my car a few years ago so I'm just going by my notes but it's pretty straightforward. You need two pins - pin 1 is the power for the side adjustment pump and pin 16 is the ground for the seat adjustment. They are different sized pins so you need these:

61138364842 - Socket contact ELO-Power 5,2x0,63 1,0- 2,5 MM≤ - x2 (ground for seat adjustment)
61130006663 - Bushing contact 0.75MM≤ - x2 (contact/cable for seat adjustment power)
61130007438 - Double leaf spring contact 2,5 MM≤ - x1 (fuse terminal for adjustment - mini blade)

I got some 0.75mm2 (18 AWG I think) cable and crimped the large terminal onto it then put it into the slot for pin 16. I then ran this to a ground point on each side but I can't remember what I used unfortunately.

For the power I put the contact cable into pin 1 and spliced that to some more 0.75mm2 cable. I ran this power connection, from both seats, into the front fuse box and spliced them together then joined this splice to the fuse contact terminal. I then put the terminal into the connector for fuse 27 and this handles both seats.

That's pretty much it. It's just a simple case of power and ground, no coding is needed to make this work.
Appreciate 0