F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Oil Filter Housing Gasket Leak Repair costs???
GetBMWParts

02-14-2019, 12:26 PM   #23
_bdiddyb_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Logicoeur , too bad you're not in S. California. I would help you for a couple of IPA's. Belt swap is very easy.

by the way, I didn't watch any youtube video. I have the Bentley Manual. I followed that.

Don't make the mistake of waiting too long. Because cleaning up the oil spill is more work than replacing the gaskets.
Appreciate 1
Logicoeur988.00
      02-14-2019, 02:34 PM   #24
yoon_209
Masterchief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicoeur View Post
I figured, Thanks. I've watched a couple of them. Still can't decide if I want to fork over the $860 with belts swapped, or do it all myself. Don't have a garage and it's pretty cold up in the NE right now for the foreseeable future.
i did the oil filter housing and oil cooler gasket and it took me about 3 hours from start to finish.

the hardest part is having to lift the intake manifold to allow some room too access some of the bolts but its fairly simple, just make sure to torque to spec or else your gaskets may prematurely fail.

if you wanna do the belts as well than that may call for a mechanic.

do you have alot of oil on your belts?

i know the n54's have issues with the belts getting sucked into the engine but havent heard any issues with the n55.
      02-14-2019, 02:50 PM   #25
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoon_209 View Post
Quote:
I figured, Thanks. I've watched a couple of them. Still can't decide if I want to fork over the $860 with belts swapped, or do it all myself. Don't have a garage and it's pretty cold up in the NE right now for the foreseeable future.
i did the oil filter housing and oil cooler gasket and it took me about 3 hours from start to finish.

the hardest part is having to lift the intake manifold to allow some room too access some of the bolts but its fairly simple, just make sure to torque to spec or else your gaskets may prematurely fail.

if you wanna do the belts as well than that may call for a mechanic.

do you have alot of oil on your belts?

i know the n54's have issues with the belts getting sucked into the engine but havent heard any issues with the n55.
Yeah looking under the hood there's oil on the belt and pulleys. Haven't made any abrupt pulls in fear of the belt going off the pulley and into the crank seal. It's def s prob on our N55s.

So since it took your less than 4hrs I'm guessing you didn't drain coolant and oil? I see DIYs vary in doing this or not. Some drain one, both, or none and just catch as much spillage as possible. I've already done the spark plugs on this car by hand, so no fear in taking it apart, just being lazy lol. Plus I have to do it in my apt parking lot and it's cold in MA.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 02:55 PM   #26
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _bdiddyb_ View Post
Logicoeur , too bad you're not in S. California. I would help you for a couple of IPA's. Belt swap is very easy.

by the way, I didn't watch any youtube video. I have the Bentley Manual. I followed that.

Don't make the mistake of waiting too long. Because cleaning up the oil spill is more work than replacing the gaskets.
Lol I wish I lived in Cali. If I did I would have already gotten the chance to do the job outside somewhere. Boston finally got winter, and winter is here 100%.

Might try and find someone with an enclosed space around here too.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 03:02 PM   #27
yoon_209
Masterchief
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah looking under the hood there's oil on the belt and pulleys. Haven't made any abrupt pulls in fear of the belt going off the pulley and into the crank seal. It's def s prob on our N55s.

So since it took your less than 4hrs I'm guessing you didn't drain coolant and oil? I see DIYs vary in doing this or not. Some drain one, both, or none and just catch as much spillage as possible. I've already done the spark plugs on this car by hand, so no fear in taking it apart, just being lazy lol. Plus I have to do it in my apt parking lot and it's cold in MA.
i had a coolant flush/replacement and oil changes right before i did the gasket change so didnt do it again. I did top off the coolant but I barely lost any while changing them out.

i def recommend placing couple of towels underneath and cover up the belts because you will lose coolant and if you arent prepared it will spill everywhere and make the cleanup that much worse.

i do plan on switching out the belts as a preventative measure somewhere down the line but there was very minimal oil on my belts and im only at 40k miles on my 2013. so i think i got some more time before it needs a change.
      02-14-2019, 03:04 PM   #28
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

i had a coolant flush/replacement and oil changes right before i did the gasket change so didnt do it again. I did top off the coolant but I barely lost any while changing them out.

i def recommend placing couple of towels underneath and cover up the belts because you will lose coolant and if you arent prepared it will spill everywhere and make the cleanup that much worse.

i do plan on switching out the belts as a preventative measure somewhere down the line but there was very minimal oil on my belts and im only at 40k miles on my 2013. so i think i got some more time before it needs a change.
I see I see. I wonder if a good pressure wash in the engine bay would speed up clean up?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 05:17 PM   #29
yoon_209
Masterchief
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I see I see. I wonder if a good pressure wash in the engine bay would speed up clean up?
imo there are too many sensors and connectors that risk getting wet. i wouldnt do it. but each their own.
      08-26-2019, 07:40 AM   #30
shhhpark
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao Blue M340i

Hey guys,

sorry to bring up an older post. I just brought in my 2014 428i xDrive in for service this past weekend. They mentioned the oil housing gasket needs to be replaced by didn't mention the housing itself needing to be replaced. I checked the bmw online recall check for my VIN and no recall came up. Does that mean my housing is the replaced metal housing? The dealership quoted me at about 800 for the repair so I'm thinking of going to an independent shop to replace the gasket.

Thanks for any help
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 11:21 AM   #31
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

Oil Filter Housing Gasket Leak Repair costs???

The housing itself is fine, it's the gaskets that are subject to failure (oil filter housing and oil cooler gaskets) . If you have the space, tools, and wherewithal, you can do it yourself. Plenty of DIY resources available here and on YouTube. I've done it twice. Local dealership quoted me over $1000. I did it myself (twice) for under $100 all in, including parts and tools. Hopefully, yours isn't so bad that the oil and coolant have started to cross contaminate. Otherwise, you'll have to do an oil change and coolant flush as well.
      09-18-2019, 07:29 PM   #32
ScubaSteve
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive M Sport

Hey guys, came across this post and have been reading up and doing my homework regarding this issue. I had an oil change done at Kal Tire at the beginning of spring when I had my summer tires swapped over. I normally bring it to the local dealer but figured since I was already there why not get the oil changed done at the same time. Not sure if its a coincidence, but a couple of months later in started noticing oil spots where I park, and even one day while driving, I got a low oil alert and had to add a quart of oil. I went to an indy shop yesterday based on a recommendation and was given 3 separate quotes to replace both the gaskets, and the actual oil filter housing and the valve cover in CAD $. I asked them to give me 2 options, 1 with new parts and 2 just replacing the gaskets. Option 1 is about $2500 CAD parts, labour, and tax and option 2 is 1600$ CAD parts labour and tax. This is obviously a lot of coin and not a cost I really need right now, but that's besides the point.

I took my car to the local car wash and sprayed the engine bay down with some foam degreaser first and then a quick high pressure wash being careful not to spray a lot of the electrical connectors or my cold air intake which I covered up. With the engine bay washed and air dried a bit with an air gun, I drove home about 5 mins away and left the engine running and popped the hood and started looking for leaks with my work light. The VC looks good from what I can tell, the only real sign of oil before was some pooling in and around the black round cap where the filter goes in. As I was sitting there looking around I noticed a very small but steady leak coming out from under the oil filter cap and I'm wondering if they maybe didn't use a BMW oem filter or some cheap brand and the gasket has just failed? There is a fair amount of oil on the ground below my car and I'm wondering if this small leak would be enough to cause all this grief. I'll attach a pic or two, just wondering if anyone has any feedback on this. The car has 97k km on it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 10:34 AM   #33
yoon_209
Masterchief
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
Hey guys, came across this post and have been reading up and doing my homework regarding this issue. I had an oil change done at Kal Tire at the beginning of spring when I had my summer tires swapped over. I normally bring it to the local dealer but figured since I was already there why not get the oil changed done at the same time. Not sure if its a coincidence, but a couple of months later in started noticing oil spots where I park, and even one day while driving, I got a low oil alert and had to add a quart of oil. I went to an indy shop yesterday based on a recommendation and was given 3 separate quotes to replace both the gaskets, and the actual oil filter housing and the valve cover in CAD $. I asked them to give me 2 options, 1 with new parts and 2 just replacing the gaskets. Option 1 is about $2500 CAD parts, labour, and tax and option 2 is 1600$ CAD parts labour and tax. This is obviously a lot of coin and not a cost I really need right now, but that's besides the point.

I took my car to the local car wash and sprayed the engine bay down with some foam degreaser first and then a quick high pressure wash being careful not to spray a lot of the electrical connectors or my cold air intake which I covered up. With the engine bay washed and air dried a bit with an air gun, I drove home about 5 mins away and left the engine running and popped the hood and started looking for leaks with my work light. The VC looks good from what I can tell, the only real sign of oil before was some pooling in and around the black round cap where the filter goes in. As I was sitting there looking around I noticed a very small but steady leak coming out from under the oil filter cap and I'm wondering if they maybe didn't use a BMW oem filter or some cheap brand and the gasket has just failed? There is a fair amount of oil on the ground below my car and I'm wondering if this small leak would be enough to cause all this grief. I'll attach a pic or two, just wondering if anyone has any feedback on this. The car has 97k km on it.

if you pull your spark plugs and they have oil than its the valve cover gaskets, if you see oil where the housing is than its the housing gaskets, if oil is coming from the filter cap than probably the filter cap, i would jus get a new one, or previous mechanic did not torque to spec.

btw those numbers are rape... i was quoted 900 for oil fiter and oil cooler gaskets replacement for 6 hours of labor, i watched youtube DIY and did it for 200$ in parts (gaskets, impact wrench torque etc...) and three hours.
      09-19-2019, 11:13 AM   #34
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post

if you pull your spark plugs and they have oil than its the valve cover gaskets, if you see oil where the housing is than its the housing gaskets, if oil is coming from the filter cap than probably the filter cap, i would jus get a new one, or previous mechanic did not torque to spec.

btw those numbers are rape... i was quoted 900 for oil fiter and oil cooler gaskets replacement for 6 hours of labor, i watched youtube DIY and did it for 200$ in parts (gaskets, impact wrench torque etc...) and three hours.
Not sure what indy labor rates are in Canada, but based on conversion rates of CAD to USD, those quotes are probably similar to dealer rates here in the States. Still expensive for work that can be DIY'd with the proper tools.

The amount of oil leaking that you're describing doesn't sound like a gasket. I would take off the oil filter cap, inspect the 2 O-rings (small green one and larger black one). If they look ok, re-torque to spec and see if that fixes it. You could even buy a new filter kit for less that $10USD that will come with new O-rings. Just be sure to lubricate them with some motor oil before installation.
      09-19-2019, 12:47 PM   #35
ScubaSteve
Private
Rep

Yeah 1600 was to replace both gaskets associated with the OFH and the valve cover gasket along with an oil change as well as a few other small parts and new coolant. That is in CAN dollars so prob closer to 1200 ish US, for both jobs. From what I've seen around here that seem to be a fair rate compared to what others are being quoted, but yeah I agree after watching a couple of DIY videos on the OFHG I think I could do that myself as I installed my own springs and downpipe myself. I tried to upload a video but it wouldn't let me. There is a small but steady stream coming out from under the filter cap, right in the spot where the oil was pooling on the filter housing. Whether or not that is the cause of the oil leak in general im not sure but its a start. When they had my car up on the hoist with the belly pan off, there was a fair amount of oil along the bottom of the engine so I'm not sure if such a small leak could cause that. I'm not planning on keeping the car forever so I'm not crazy of dumping 4k on replacing all 3 gaskets (OFHG,VC, and oil pan). I've also watched a couple of DIY vids on replacing the valve cover gasket and I'm not totally sure I'm comfortable doing that job on my own. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 07:44 AM   #36
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

For that price to have both valve cover gasket and OFHG replaced is worth it just for the time investment you need to commit to fix it yourself. The tear down on the valve cover to get to it is like 2 hours of taking things off and then you need to put it all back together. For my F10, i paid $1600 USD for all of that and an oil change/coolant flush.
      10-24-2019, 12:29 AM   #37
ScubaSteve
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
For that price to have both valve cover gasket and OFHG replaced is worth it just for the time investment you need to commit to fix it yourself. The tear down on the valve cover to get to it is like 2 hours of taking things off and then you need to put it all back together. For my F10, i paid $1600 USD for all of that and an oil change/coolant flush.
So for the $1600 USD you had the oil filter housing/coolant housing AND the valve cover gasket along with an oil and coolant change?
Appreciate 0