F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Best Smartphone?
Extreme Powerhouse

01-17-2015, 09:36 PM   #1
DocB
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Best Smartphone?

What would you say is the best smartphone for 2014/2015 BMWs? I will be taking delivery of a 435GC in a few weeks and may also be upgrading from an iPhone 5s. I would like to take advantage of EBT and the Microsoft Office app.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2015, 10:38 PM   #2
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M240 xDrive

Hard to say really. Which feature are you mainly interested in? For Office integration I would say Android. It's the only one I've been able to get SMS reading and sending to work with. I personally find the music integration on iPhone easier, but that just may be because I'm more familiar with iOS. Siri works well with iDrive. Not sure what works with the long press on the steering wheel on Android. Some have trouble with ios8 and BT. I don't have any issues myself. Both phones have Connected applets along with the Remote app.

I use an iPhone 6 and a Nexus 6 and connect both via BT every day. I would just get a phone you like and not base your choice on car connectivity.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 09:59 PM   #3
HapkidoNinja
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

I use a Windows Phone. BT intgeration worked like a breeze.
The phone/vehicle offer to read out all incoming SMS while driving, and allow me to respond by voice through the vehicle mike.
It has complete stereo and music integration (AVRCP 1.4) which allows me to search for tracks or navigate from the iDrive.
Cortana must be launched on the device but once launched interacts through the vehicle audio system.
the only thing I have not been able to do is watch a video on my phone and stream the audio to the car system.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 09:31 AM   #4
E92Carrera
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire E92

I'd say an Android, not sure about the microsoft office but for music / streaming the easiest is Android. I used google play and spotify and you can skip tracks with the steering wheel, see the album art. With iOS it sometimes works, most of the time bluetooth streaming will not update the iDrive. Pretty frustrating. And this coming from a guy that was a big iOS fan.

2011 E92 Space Gray - M-Sport - Euro Delivery

2008 E92 Black Sapphire - Black Interior - Aluminum Trim
Appreciate 0