F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Noise that sounds like light grit/rain hitting windshield?
ARMA SPEED

12-05-2019, 08:21 AM   #1
Coercion Shaman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Audi A5 Prestige S/B

Noise that sounds like light grit/rain hitting windshield?

I have a new noise as of yesterday. My wife and I both noticed it on the way to work, and she rarely notices anything. It sounds like grit (or maybe light rain at high speed) hitting the windshield and seems to be coming from the front dash or windshield. It is noticeable. There were no cars in front of me on the highway, though, nor was it raining. It lasted the entire 20 minute drive to work when moving only. I don't see any damage to the windshield or weather stripping around it.

Temperature was in the low 30's yesterday. I didn't hear it when we left in the afternoon with temps in the 60's. Again this morning in the mid 30's and hear it. It does not go away after the car warms in the interior or the engine warms either morning. I turned off the environmental controls in the event that something was in the ducts or motors with no change. I turned off the radio with no change. I removed everything from the glove box and center console as well but that affected nothing.

Any thoughts? Point me to a thread I didn't find? I only saw something on the 5 series about a speaker grill in the dash where folks described a possibly similar sound. Nothing I found related to the 4 series.

Thanks.
      12-05-2019, 09:50 PM   #2
njdangelo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 x5 50i

Did you check for ice or leaves in the cowel? I've had similar noises in past cars that turned out to be leaves/branches or ice
      12-06-2019, 01:19 AM   #3
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

Do you have HUD? I have an intermittent rattle coming from the dash area, primarily around the HUD screen, but it seems to be more behind the instrument cluster than around the HUD housing itself. Most prominent when cold and when cruising highway speeds (75-80ish). Not sure if it's the same noise, but I guess my rattle could LOOSELY be described as you have. I have yet to find a fix.
      12-06-2019, 06:35 AM   #4
Coercion Shaman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_f30 View Post
Do you have HUD? I have an intermittent rattle coming from the dash area, primarily around the HUD screen, but it seems to be more behind the instrument cluster than around the HUD housing itself. Most prominent when cold and when cruising highway speeds (75-80ish). Not sure if it's the same noise, but I guess my rattle could LOOSELY be described as you have. I have yet to find a fix.
I do have a HUD on this car. Interesting.

No sound again on the way home yesterday while in the 60's. This morning, around 40 degrees.... sound again. And it is coming from the driver side dash or the windshield itself, I think. And it is happening as I take off in the morning and on smaller roads and the interstate, so I'm not actually speed dependent.

Certainly worth considering.
      12-06-2019, 06:36 AM   #5
Coercion Shaman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdangelo View Post
Did you check for ice or leaves in the cowel? I've had similar noises in past cars that turned out to be leaves/branches or ice
Good thought. Had that one, too. I just cleaned it out a couple of days ago when I washed the car. Checked and it is still clear.
      12-09-2019, 07:21 AM   #6
Coercion Shaman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

So I didn't find anything under the hood and blew everything out with the blower. I still have the noise on very cold mornings. Anything warmer on any given mornings driving the same roads yields no noise. I think it is temperature related, but I can't figure out what it is.

I haven't been able to isolate it to the HUD.

If anyone thinks of something else to look at, let me know. If I find it, I will post back.
      09-05-2021, 12:06 AM   #7
zaidhaque
Qatar
Rep
Drives: 328i Mineral Gray Sport Line

OP, did you ever find out where the noise came from? I do have an f30 but im hearing this exact same noise on my dads 2008 Sienna. No HUD there lol. Came across this thread while googling “rain noise on windshield” lol :
Appreciate 0