F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > BM3 Winter Climate Daily Driving
Studio RSR

12-11-2019, 08:04 AM   #1
cray101
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

BM3 Winter Climate Daily Driving

I'm officially out of CPO warranty on my N26 328, and am ready to make the move to Stage 1 bootmod3! I live in Michigan where winter is miserable. I was curious how driveabiliity is with BM3 in a winter climate. Does anyone flash back to stock during winter? I've been running a JB+ for a little over a year now, without much issue.

Also, I'm running stock DP with an active autowerke axleback exhaust. Being an N26, I dont get much burble as-is. I definitely dont want the gunshot pops and bangs that you get with a catless DP, but wouldnt mind a little bit more burble noise. With my setup, will BM3 tune provide any addditional burble?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 11:56 AM   #2
GreenF30N26
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328ix N26

No need to flash back to stock for the winter. However if you drive like a maniac then no matter what power your car is producing you will end up trouble.

As for the burbles I’ll defer to someone else. I’ve heard it’s bad for the stock cats in your DPs. But you can adjust settings to get a little bit. I’ve left my settings stock because I don’t like the sounds they make.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 12:40 PM   #3
Diirek
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E93 M3, G05 X5 xDrive50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cray101 View Post
I'm officially out of CPO warranty on my N26 328, and am ready to make the move to Stage 1 bootmod3! I live in Michigan where winter is miserable. I was curious how driveabiliity is with BM3 in a winter climate. Does anyone flash back to stock during winter? I've been running a JB+ for a little over a year now, without much issue.

Also, I'm running stock DP with an active autowerke axleback exhaust. Being an N26, I dont get much burble as-is. I definitely dont want the gunshot pops and bangs that you get with a catless DP, but wouldnt mind a little bit more burble noise. With my setup, will BM3 tune provide any addditional burble?
I'm running the OTS stage 1 BM3 with stock dp and the MPE axle back on my n26. You definitely get more burbles over the stock tune, especially with the axle back. When driving "spirited" in sport mode, you can hear the burbles on downshifts and de-acceleration inside the car with the windows up, but nothing that will wake the neighbors either.
Appreciate 1
cray10136.00
      12-11-2019, 01:18 PM   #4
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Winter!!!... I suggest check your tires

I live in California.... so don't be one of the cars out there driving on slicks= bold tires.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 01:49 PM   #5
cray101
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green33 View Post
No need to flash back to stock for the winter. However if you drive like a maniac then no matter what power your car is producing you will end up trouble.
Thanks! Winter driving is mostly cruising in comfort mode for me with some spirited driving here and there when conditions allow. I had also read around here that maxing burbles is not ideal for stock DP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diirek View Post
I'm running the OTS stage 1 BM3 with stock dp and the MPE axle back on my n26. You definitely get more burbles over the stock tune, especially with the axle back. When driving "spirited" in sport mode, you can hear the burbles on downshifts and de-acceleration inside the car with the windows up, but nothing that will wake the neighbors either.
Good to know! I'm hoping for a little more burble sound but do not want anything crazy or super loud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post
Winter!!!... I suggest check your tires

I live in California.... so don't be one of the cars out there driving on slicks= bold tires.
I just put my stock 17" wheels and all season RFTs back on for winter. Not the best winter setup, but it got me through last winter fine. Next winter I will be picking up a set of Blizzaks.
Appreciate 0