F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Bump in HP for the next gen F30 3 series?
Studio RSR

04-19-2011, 10:24 AM   #23
TheRox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
BMW is looking downward and not upward. A few years ago they were talking quad turbo 4 cylinder. I think there is a reason why the press said the 335is will be a collector's car as it will be the height of engine power for the 3 series before it goes back down. Look through history, HP/Torque has been up and down. Trend is downward right now after a long run of going up.

I think we'll see lighter and smaller engines making the same HP with better efficiency gains and moving more toward the hybrid setup with a small electric motor and more plastic or carbon fiber body panels.

Don't be shocked if the next 3 will have more major panels in carbon fiber.
I find this highly unlikely. THe cost is simply too high.

THe Panamera which weights 100 KG more than the 335i...does so because it uses magnesium alloys extensiveliy...but have you seen the price tag for that thing???

ITs lighter than its rivals, but also much more expensive.

No way the base 3 series...usually sold in the 150-230 HP form...is going to get carbon fibre doors...maybe the m3 will...but BMW just won't turn as much of a profit.

Cost of metals and resources is going up too.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 10:27 AM   #24
TheRox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepak.j View Post
thats what BMW like doing frequentely. I think logically the alloys could be lighter, body work lighter, shedding about 50-70 Kgs , and prob make the Bhp to 350 Very Easily, Vishnu tuning can squeeze 370 with any component mods...
The new f10 5-series is heavier than the outgoing model. All those nice light alloys are great in theory but they cost $$$$$$$$$ and the price of natural resources is going nowhere but up. Do you really think BMW will take a profit margin hit to give you a lighter 3 series?>>> ESp when NONE of its rivals have lightened their cars?

How do you feel about your chances with the 3???

How many people buy the 3 series (overall) for its sporty-ish ride v. comfort/having a bmw in the garage?

Most buyers buy it b/c its a bimmer and feels ok to drive, most buy an autbox too...the few of us on this board look for a sports-car type ride...but that don't pay for dinner in Munich.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 12:50 PM   #25
KevinJ
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2k11 335is

The reviews of the new 4 cyl turbo are out.

Looks like BMW pulled out a bag of tricks. The reviews said the dyno of the 4cyl nearly match the turbo 6. The new 4 cyl starts power sooner and holds the readline longer but drops off power at theend. Where the 6 starts power later and redlines at 7k without holding. The result is 0-60 of 6.1 for a 4 cyl.

I imagine they will have a higher output version that will put out over 300hp/torque.

Read this about carbon fiber:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/bmw-part...ry-in-u-s.html

http://www.sglgroup.com/cms/internat...ml?__locale=en

They said the first car to take advantage of carbon fiber is the megacity which will bring a full carbon fiber body. I expect there will be a change over to adding additional body panels for other vehicles but the new 3 might not get them right away. Right now the 3 series has plastic front fenders. Its only a matter of time before door skin and rear panels get the treatment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRox View Post
I find this highly unlikely. THe cost is simply too high.

THe Panamera which weights 100 KG more than the 335i...does so because it uses magnesium alloys extensiveliy...but have you seen the price tag for that thing???

ITs lighter than its rivals, but also much more expensive.

No way the base 3 series...usually sold in the 150-230 HP form...is going to get carbon fibre doors...maybe the m3 will...but BMW just won't turn as much of a profit.

Cost of metals and resources is going up too.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 01:29 PM   #26
LexS
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 320d M Sport

Making a car lighter helps fuel economy, which would help would BMW meet the ever tightening emissions quota all car companies are being faced with in the coming years. Carbon fibre is not necessarily the way to achieve this, there are plenty of cheaper alternatives out there for skinning doors and roofs. In doing any of this you have to add in additional bracing for side impact protection and such like.

Just my opinion but I think the F30 will be lighter, but not with the use of exotic materials that would substantially increase manufacturing costs, as previously stated BMW is a business and money has to be made.

Power wise, the more the better. But there is a point where cost and efficiency balance out nicely with the current level of technology so ultimately its a waiting game.
      04-19-2011, 02:21 PM   #27
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvai View Post
My question is of there is any rumors regarding the increase in HP for the next generation 3-series. In theory, they should launch a model with at least 340.
There is no way they will be able to reduce weight (at least in the standard 3-series).

Any thoughts?
Almost for certain, the MY2013 F30 will include these models in the US:

- 328i 240hp N20
- 335i 300hp N55

For MY2014 they will very likely change the higher end engine (just as they have for the second model year of the E90, E46 and E36). So it will be:

- 328i 240hp N20
- 340i 320hp N55 (same engine slated for MY2012 640i)

And just to add some wild speculation, I could see the N20 getting a bump too, probably come LCI time:

- 330i 252hp N20
- 340i 320hp N55

Expect "si" models eventually too, probably with as much as 370hp or so, maybe more.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 04:54 AM   #28
Uli_HH
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E90)/ 523i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexS View Post
Making a car lighter helps fuel economy, which would help would BMW meet the ever tightening emissions quota all car companies are being faced with in the coming years. Carbon fibre is not necessarily the way to achieve this, there are plenty of cheaper alternatives out there for skinning doors and roofs. In doing any of this you have to add in additional bracing for side impact protection and such like.

Just my opinion but I think the F30 will be lighter, but not with the use of exotic materials that would substantially increase manufacturing costs, as previously stated BMW is a business and money has to be made.

Power wise, the more the better. But there is a point where cost and efficiency balance out nicely with the current level of technology so ultimately its a waiting game.
We have to wait and see ... at least until june 2011 when at the M Festival at the Nürburgring more Infos about the new M3 LWC/CSL are coming .. this car should and would show the extensive of modern lightweight-parts in future Ms and BMWs.

Uli_HH
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 02:50 PM   #29
GnokGnik
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, 997 C2S

I am probably gonna skip the F10 cycle of 3ers...I know most E4x owners said the same thing about the E9x when it came out, but the powerplants on the new F10 don't seem to be much of an improvement.
Appreciate 0