F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Unstable engine temperature
Extreme Powerhouse

02-03-2021, 09:17 AM   #1
Sanderger94
Rep
Drives: BMW 418d

Unstable engine temperature

Hi all,

I have a 2015 F36 418d Grand Coupe, with 257.000km on the clock. The car is still stock original.

Since a few weeks i've noticed that the engine temperature will go up to normal operating temperature (100 degr./C). However after a few miles the temperature will go down ever so slightly.

If I rev the car for a longer period of time the temperature will go down as far as 85degr./C.

This appens on both highway and city trips. It occasionaly gives me a check engine light. I've run a check on the car and it gives me the following codes:

- P00BD Air mass system: Measured air mass too high
- P00BC Air mass system: Measured air mass too low
- 28EC00 Exhaust gas pressure sensor upstream of exhaust turbocharger, ambient pressure sensor, signals; implausible
- 244800 Info - Particulate filter system: Limited remaining distance of particulate filter available (This one seems irrelevant of the problem)

Does this have to do with the MAF sensor? Does it need to be cleaned or is there something else going on?

I've checked all (charge)air hoses and I have replaced the air filter. The car has been to the BMW dealer for a recall of the EGR valve and cooler in July. Could it be something to do with one of these?

Thanks in advance!

Sander

Last edited by Sanderger94; 02-03-2021 at 09:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 11:12 AM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Temperature fluctuation is normal. It's highest when cruising for maximum efficiency, lowest under hard acceleration to prevent pre-ignition. The check engine light may not be related to that. However, the MAF and hot film air mass meter should be cleaned regularly.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 07:06 PM   #3
Sanderger94
Rep
Drives: BMW 418d

So a quick update. The car went to BMW yesterday for a recall of the EGR valve. Upon clearing the DTC's they found out that the Exhaust Gas Pressure Sensor before the turbine was malfunctioning.

They replaced the sensor and the car is running as before. Temperature stays normal, it only drops a little under heavy acceleration and comes back up right after.
Appreciate 0