F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Searching for new Exhaust
ARMA SPEED

06-23-2021, 06:39 PM   #1
carsforlife
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Searching for new Exhaust

Hello everyone hope you're doing well,
I currently have a Borla ATAK catback exhaust on my car "I bought it that way" but my problem is that it's too loud all the time and it drones sometimes, so I am looking for a replacement and I really don't have much of a clue about which Exhausts won't affect my tune in a negative way and still aren't as loud and I'm a bit limited at the moment to the reselling value of my current Exhaust , I heard about valved exhausts but idk if they would stay around my price range.
what I need in short:
-neither too loud nor too quiet sounding Exhaust.
-and no drone.
The car currently has a catless Downpipe, a charge pipe and a stage 2 tune
p.s. Any additional info that could help me in my search would be appreciated

Last edited by carsforlife; 06-24-2021 at 01:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 07:25 PM   #2
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsforlife View Post
Hello everyone hope you're doing well,
I currently have a Borla ATAK exhaust on my car "I bought it that way" but my problem is that it's too loud all the time and it drones sometimes, so I am looking for a replacement and I really don't have much of a clue about which Exhausts won't affect my tune in a negative way and still aren't as loud and I'm a bit limited at the moment to the reselling value of my current Exhaust , I heard about valved exhausts but idk if they would stay around my price range.
what I need in short:
-neither too loud nor too quiet sounding Exhaust.
-and no drone.
The car currently has a catless Downpipe, a charge pipe and a stage 2 tune
p.s. Any additional info that could help me in my search would be appreciated
Exhaust has zero impact on tune, so you can install any exhaust you want. There is no HP gain from exhaust, it's only for sound.

My recommendation and the cheapest option is to go into the classifieds or another used part marketplace and find a stock exhaust for sale, ideally locally due to size. They are extremely cheap, especially if you are talking about only the axleback (you didnt specify if you have catback or axleback). Install the stock exhaust with catless DP (a common setup and good sound, subjectively). Then if you want a little more from there, delete the resonator from the OEM midpipe for <100$.

If you go the new option, you are likely going to spend >$1,000

EDIT: You could also consider having a shop add an additional resonator to your midpipe.
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2021, 01:57 PM   #3
carsforlife
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Exhaust has zero impact on tune, so you can install any exhaust you want. There is no HP gain from exhaust, it's only for sound.

My recommendation and the cheapest option is to go into the classifieds or another used part marketplace and find a stock exhaust for sale, ideally locally due to size. They are extremely cheap, especially if you are talking about only the axleback (you didnt specify if you have catback or axleback). Install the stock exhaust with catless DP (a common setup and good sound, subjectively). Then if you want a little more from there, delete the resonator from the OEM midpipe for <100$.

If you go the new option, you are likely going to spend >$1,000

EDIT: You could also consider having a shop add an additional resonator to your midpipe.
The Borla ATAK comes as catback but i added that info right now, and by stock you mean the stock MPE(M performance Exhaust) or the none upgraded one and as for MPE does it come valved? and if so how does the valve system work is it the same system as famous valved exhausts such as valvtronic, bomiz , etc.. that have a straight pipe sound when open and when closed the air goes through the muffler?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 09:16 AM   #4
Bloom_435i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15' 435i xdrive

I have the borla atak with a Catted downpipe and there is like zero drone. A high flow downpipe shouldn't affect the tune that much if you want to go with a new downpipe instead of buy a whole new exhaust
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 09:32 AM   #5
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsforlife View Post
The Borla ATAK comes as catback but i added that info right now, and by stock you mean the stock MPE(M performance Exhaust) or the none upgraded one and as for MPE does it come valved? and if so how does the valve system work is it the same system as famous valved exhausts such as valvtronic, bomiz , etc.. that have a straight pipe sound when open and when closed the air goes through the muffler?
By stock i mean the actual stock exhaust, not the MPE. MPE is another option but its louder and more expensive. Both MPE and stock exhaust are valved. No, they are not completely straight pipe when valve is open. You can see what the stock exhaust looks like here: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=819125

Getting a catted DP as mentioned above is another option. The amount that it will change the exhaust sounds/volume/drone depends on the DP really. The thing is most aftermarket exhausts are made to pair with OEM DP which significantly mutes the exhaust, and any aftermarket can make them "too loud"
Appreciate 1
SC435i9.00
      06-26-2021, 06:20 PM   #6
Info@mad-us.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: bmw

Adding a quality resonator to your mid pipe sounds like your cheapest and best option if your happy with the looks of your exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 10:31 PM   #7
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Go catted. Any of the non cel guaranteed will work. You already have it tuned so the cel will be suppressed.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 09:22 AM   #8
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicoeur View Post
Go catted. Any of the non cel guaranteed will work. You already have it tuned so the cel will be suppressed.
+1 on replacing the downpipe for a catted one. I recommend the Active Autowerke since it does not throw a check engine light

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1