F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > BimmerTech Released CarPlay/Android Auto MMI Plus / Prime
proTUNING Freaks

12-15-2019, 12:18 AM   #111
mysterio
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30

How is everyone routing the aux cable into the armrest? Was thinking I’d drill a hole in the aux/usb insert plate and pull it through there but wondered if anyone has a more elegant idea.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 12:07 PM   #112
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X3MC MBB - C-17 Globemaster

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterio View Post
How is everyone routing the aux cable into the armrest? Was thinking I’d drill a hole in the aux/usb insert plate and pull it through there but wondered if anyone has a more elegant idea.
Make sure you run a splitter and sometimes a ground loop isolation will help with the buzz of the chinesium product.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 01:43 AM   #113
xDHC
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F20 116i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterio View Post
Thats exactly what i did (not using bimmertech though, as its expensive and offers less than the china versions):

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 04:07 PM   #114
Diirek
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E93 M3, G05 X5 xDrive50i

My Experience so far.

Ordered and installed the Bimmertech MMI Prime unit earlier this week. Installation was pretty simple other than removing the glovebox, which is simple enough but still a pain in the a$$. Already have a backup camera and PDC so didn't install any cameras.

I am an android guy so I only have my experience with AA to report on. I can confirm wireless AA is working.

The sound quality for me is great. I'd consider myself an audiophile and haven't perceived any degradation of sound quality - It may actually sound better than bluetooth.

I did run into some issues however. First, the AA interface is slightly blurry and a little stretched. It's usable, but cheapens the experience IMO.

Also, I had issues with the phone controls disappearing after making a call, on the screen and on my phone. I had to unplug my phone from the USB to get them to return. Also, the caller on the other end was hearing themselves back on a delay (echo).

I reached out to bimmertech and they gave me mic settings to adjust but the echo was there. The only solution that worked for me was to connect my phone back to idrive via bluetooth because my phone can be connected to two devices at once. Magically, this drastically increased call clarity and got rid of the echo. The weird thing is that audio was set to the aux. port and the phone controls/menus were still being displayed within AA. I don't know why it works, but it does.

I haven't had much car time with the quarantine but I took a spin with google maps and it worked perfectly.

IF bimmertech releases a firmware/software update that resolves the screen quality issues, I'll be a happy camper. I asked the tech if they had an ETA and I was told to check back at the end of the month.
Appreciate 1
celsdogg323.00
      04-09-2020, 05:06 PM   #115
nitsuj17
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diirek View Post
Ordered and installed the Bimmertech MMI Prime unit earlier this week. Installation was pretty simple other than removing the glovebox, which is simple enough but still a pain in the a$$. Already have a backup camera and PDC so didn't install any cameras.

I am an android guy so I only have my experience with AA to report on. I can confirm wireless AA is working.

The sound quality for me is great. I'd consider myself an audiophile and haven't perceived any degradation of sound quality - It may actually sound better than bluetooth.

I did run into some issues however. First, the AA interface is slightly blurry and a little stretched. It's usable, but cheapens the experience IMO.

Also, I had issues with the phone controls disappearing after making a call, on the screen and on my phone. I had to unplug my phone from the USB to get them to return. Also, the caller on the other end was hearing themselves back on a delay (echo).

I reached out to bimmertech and they gave me mic settings to adjust but the echo was there. The only solution that worked for me was to connect my phone back to idrive via bluetooth because my phone can be connected to two devices at once. Magically, this drastically increased call clarity and got rid of the echo. The weird thing is that audio was set to the aux. port and the phone controls/menus were still being displayed within AA. I don't know why it works, but it does.

I haven't had much car time with the quarantine but I took a spin with google maps and it worked perfectly.

IF bimmertech releases a firmware/software update that resolves the screen quality issues, I'll be a happy camper. I asked the tech if they had an ETA and I was told to check back at the end of the month.
Bummertech is the same as andream/carlinkit mmi (just $400 more). They love to claim it's their own proprietary box and software....it's not. The same company makes all of them just bt Jack's the prices up vs buying the box from a Chinese vendor

If you need support check that thread, even all the available software/MCU updates for all of the boxes are there.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 05:20 PM   #116
Rebound
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F33: The 435i Convertible

I've installed the unit in my 2014 435 and so far, I don't have complete results but I did have this finding: My Reverse Camera wouldn't work until I enabled the Camera setting which says that I have a Manual Transmission. My car is an Auto but without Manual Transmission selected, the Reverse Camera would not appear when I shift into reverse.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2020, 05:34 PM   #117
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320I

Quote:

These AA mmi boxes really transform the car especially for models like mine without factory nav. Also, your phone will signal to the mmi that you are on a call via the wifi connection, not the audio connection, and display the phone controls on the screen regardless of the audio input being used at the time.

Regarding the echo issue...using the stock BMW bt connection does resolve it but the problem is that the bmw bt connection and the mmi's bt connection interfere with each other sometimes and results in no sound during calls. I placed my Andream mmi in a faraday bag to completely block out the mmi's bt signal. That resolved the issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 07:21 AM   #118
Diirek
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by muniz_ri View Post
These AA mmi boxes really transform the car especially for models like mine without factory nav. Also, your phone will signal to the mmi that you are on a call via the wifi connection, not the audio connection, and display the phone controls on the screen regardless of the audio input being used at the time.

Regarding the echo issue...using the stock BMW bt connection does resolve it but the problem is that the bmw bt connection and the mmi's bt connection interfere with each other sometimes and results in no sound during calls. I placed my Andream mmi in a faraday bag to completely block out the mmi's bt signal. That resolved the issue.
Thanks for the input. I just ordered a Faraday bag from Amazon. I looked for a while for alternative solutions to auto block the bt connection with the mmi box via settings but had zero luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 10:53 AM   #119
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the input. I just ordered a Faraday bag from Amazon. I looked for a while for alternative solutions to auto block the bt connection with the mmi box via settings but had zero luck.
You may already realize this but you will no longer be able to connect wireless after blocking the mmi bt signal. This isn't a problem for me but, fyi.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 07:08 PM   #120
Diirek
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
You may already realize this but you will no longer be able to connect wireless after blocking the mmi bt signal. This isn't a problem for me but, fyi.
I prefer the wired option. Topping off the battery is always a plus when I'm in the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 04:25 PM   #121
AleksEst
Rep
Drives: BMW 435XD Convertible

Quote:
I prefer the wired option. Topping off the battery is always a plus when I'm in the car.
Just buy the phone with the wireless charger and enjoy it.
I use Huawei wireless charger - holder and it is awesome. I already forgot what is to use cables in the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 04:28 PM   #122
AleksEst
Rep
Drives: BMW 435XD Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitsuj17 View Post
Bummertech is the same as andream/carlinkit mmi (just $400 more). They love to claim it's their own proprietary box and software....it's not. The same company makes all of them just bt Jack's the prices up vs buying the box from a Chinese vendor

If you need support check that thread, even all the available software/MCU updates for all of the boxes are there.
Thank You very much!
I already was going to order the bimmertech and lose extra 400 USD.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 06:44 PM   #123
3FortyI
Private
Rep
Drives: 340i

I guess I got lucky with mine as I was hesitant to purchase it for 600, but luckily someone on the forums sold his brand new MMI plus for 300. Installed it the same day it arrived and been happy camper with the CarPlay:

Installation was a bit PITA with the wires being tucked behind the head unit and the damn plugs are over engineered lol.

Regardless - still good. Everything works as intended and only mistake I made was not connecting the green optical beforehand and spent an hour diagnosing only to realize I skipped a step.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 06:09 AM   #124
Diirek
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksEst View Post
Quote:
Just buy the phone with the wireless charger and enjoy it.
I use Huawei wireless charger - holder and it is awesome. I already forgot what is to use cables in the car.
I've had multiple phones with wireless charging. that's not the point. I still prefer what I prefer
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 06:15 AM   #125
Diirek
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksEst View Post
Quote:

Thank You very much!
I already was going to order the bimmertech and lose extra 400 USD.
I would disagree here. even though the boxes may be indentical in terms of hardware, the software and customer support are different. I believe the bimmertech unit software has some upsides that the other units don't provide if you are using AA.

if you go further back in the thread you will see my initial issues with the box and all of the hoops bimmertech support jumped through to get my unit working as intended (even though it should have worked flawlessly out of the box for $600).

The boxes used to be cross compatible in terms of software but that is no longer the case. there is a serious call quality issue with Android auto and echo that bimmertech has resolved by disabling the mmi Bluetooth connection and allowing the phone to connect to the BMW idrive Bluetooth for calls. if calls are a big deal for you, I'd do a little more digging

check out this thread:

Andream MMI Box - Wireless CarPlay & Android Auto https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1675929
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 09:43 AM   #126
nitsuj17
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328ix

Quote:
I would disagree here. even though the boxes may be indentical in terms of hardware, the software and customer support are different. I believe the bimmertech unit software has some upsides that the other units don't provide if you are using AA.

if you go further back in the thread you will see my initial issues with the box and all of the hoops bimmertech support jumped through to get my unit working as intended (even though it should have worked flawlessly out of the box for $600).

The boxes used to be cross compatible in terms of software but that is no longer the case. there is a serious call quality issue with Android auto and echo that bimmertech has resolved by disabling the mmi Bluetooth connection and allowing the phone to connect to the BMW idrive Bluetooth for calls. if calls are a big deal for you, I'd do a little more digging

check out this thread:

Andream MMI Box - Wireless CarPlay & Android Auto https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1675929
yes, the bimmertech unit has that option now to disable the mmi bt for calls.

however, the call quality/echo issue is not a dealbreaker on the other boxes. many/most of us have resolved it with changing the call settings on the mmi.

would it be better to use the bmw bt? sure, but i personally have no issues

as mentioned above, read through the andream thread before making any decisions and make your final decision/cost analysis from there
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 10:25 AM   #127
Diirek
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

however, the call quality/echo issue is not a dealbreaker on the other boxes. many/most of us have resolved it with changing the call settings on the mmi.

as mentioned above, read through the andream thread before making any decisions and make your final decision/cost analysis from there
It's all trade-offs. I still believe the bimmertech option is overpriced compared to its competition, but I've spent so many frustrating years with different chinese manf. android box solutions in other cars, the pros never seemed to outweigh the cons. That's why i splurged and got the bimmertech option. I was pissed when it didn't work flawlessly out of the box and almost returned it.

What I can say is that I am in pretty regular contact with Bimmertech and they are working on a HUGE update. Will it begin to justify the price gap, we'll have to wait and see.

All I can say is that if you can afford to wait, give it a week or two then make your decision
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 10:43 AM   #128
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

It's all trade-offs. I still believe the bimmertech option is overpriced compared to its competition, but I've spent so many frustrating years with different chinese manf. android box solutions in other cars, the pros never seemed to outweigh the cons. That's why i splurged and got the bimmertech option. I was pissed when it didn't work flawlessly out of the box and almost returned it.

What I can say is that I am in pretty regular contact with Bimmertech and they are working on a HUGE update. Will it begin to justify the price gap, we'll have to wait and see.

All I can say is that if you can afford to wait, give it a week or two then make your decision
Sounds interesting...keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 03:17 PM   #129
Diirek
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Sounds interesting...keep us posted.
High-res AA update here!

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1730502
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 03:14 PM   #130
Kyokushin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F32 428i, F32 420i

Quote:
many/most of us have resolved it with changing the call settings on the mmi.
Could you tell more about that, which settings?

What is the my use case - to be able to to answer the call when i will listen to the radio or internal-cd (this will require to have paired cellphone through the BT).
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 02:55 PM   #131
justplain
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D MY2013

CIC or NBT HU?

Hi guys, been thinking about getting one of these MMI boxes for my 2013 F30.
I'd like some confirmation on whether I'd need a CIC or NBT version?
I ask because I have an old 10-2012 L7 ENTRY M CB HU which I thought was CIC, though looking at the pins at the back, I have the 6 pin LVDS which suggests NBT? my Screen is the basic 6.5". No nav, no combox, aux and USB are installed under the armrest. I do have the HK L7 amp/speaker combo (688)
Going by the pins alone, I think I need to get an NBT MMI box?
Thoughts?
Thanks
Attached Images

Last edited by justplain; 07-22-2020 at 03:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 01:34 AM   #132
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplain View Post
Hi guys, been thinking about getting one of these MMI boxes for my 2013 F30.
I'd like some confirmation on whether I'd need a CIC or NBT version?
I ask because I have an old 10-2012 L7 ENTRY M CB HU which I thought was CIC, though looking at the pins at the back, I have the 6 pin LVDS which suggests NBT? my Screen is the basic 6.5". No nav, no combox, aux and USB are installed under the armrest. I do have the HK L7 amp/speaker combo (688)
Going by the pins alone, I think I need to get an NBT MMI box?
Thoughts?
Thanks
That does look like NBT but suggest that you email that pic and a pic of your idrive screen to one of the sellers for confirmation before purchasing to be certain.
Appreciate 0