F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Cel light
ARMA SPEED

04-08-2020, 11:07 PM   #1
ChanceG8X
Bmw Inside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i, G80

Cel light

So I know that my cel light will turn on lets face it I'm catless and I dont want to put the cat back in only to take it back off. Bm3 just came out with that code deactivation thing in the settings is there anyway inspection places will notice that obviously they'll see the cat monitor is off but something like that not sure if it will show up. I have a place that just says as long as the light doesn't show its good but they do check to see if the cat monitor is off.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 11:46 PM   #2
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancef32 View Post
So I know that my cel light will turn on lets face it I'm catless and I dont want to put the cat back in only to take it back off. Bm3 just came out with that code deactivation thing in the settings is there anyway inspection places will notice that obviously they'll see the cat monitor is off but something like that not sure if it will show up. I have a place that just says as long as the light doesn't show its good but they do check to see if the cat monitor is off.
I'm confused you said "obviously they'll see the cat monitor is off" then you said "as long as the light doesn't show its good but they do check to see if the cat monitor is off" ?

If they only care about not having a light on the dash then you can disable that with a tune.

If they require the cat to be in a ready state, you will not pass. The OBD2 checks will verify this. The only way you would pass is if your state allows 1 monitor not ready (and everything else is good).
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 01:56 PM   #3
ChanceG8X
Bmw Inside
United_States
Rep

Yes but since the cat monitor is off they wont be able to pass me either because the light should be turning on but can they see the code deactivation with an obd scanner I feel like probably not. They will care about the monitor being off.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 01:58 PM   #4
ChanceG8X
Bmw Inside
United_States
Rep

Talking about this
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 03:52 PM   #5
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancef32 View Post
Yes but since the cat monitor is off they wont be able to pass me either because the light should be turning on but can they see the code deactivation with an obd scanner I feel like probably not. They will care about the monitor being off.
I am not entirely sure if they will be able to tell if you have disabled the CEL for the cat with the OBD2 check. However, someone else just posted in another thread a day or two ago that they passed with a catless DP using an angled O2 spacer on the secondary O2. They did not explicitly state if they had the CEL disabled, but i assume so, otherwise he would have had a CEL on and probably not passed.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 08:32 PM   #6
ChanceG8X
Bmw Inside
United_States
Rep

With my obd2 reader the monitor does show off the reader wasn't that much either.
Appreciate 0