F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Photo, Video, Media Gallery, Journals > The misadventures of a 435i GC
Extreme Powerhouse

09-30-2018, 04:27 PM   #1
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
The misadventures of a 435i GC

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
This being my second BMW (first being my 08 135i), I figured I'd start a build thread since I regretted doing it with my last.

I found my way into this 2015 435i GC by way of fortunate timing and fate.
I recently sold my AW 135i which was my baby. I loved her to death. Perfectly modded, always brought a smile to my face, and never let me down. Sadly, I had to sell her for earnest money on an investment property. It hurt.

I didn't want to leave the platform, but newer tech in the later models, and now having a 5 year old, I needed something more practical. I began looking at the following:

2013 F10 M5
2012 Panamera Turbo
2015+ 435i Gran Coupe

The practical and responsible part of me eventually ruled out the former two and settled on the latter. So my search began. I started on Autotrader, with a 500 mile radius of my BMW devoid area of South Dakota, expecting to find one in Denver. I found one. ONE. A black 2015 with 47K miles and they were firm on it's 35.5k price tag (according to them, it's Dinan exhaust was the reason lol). This was a private seller, and not CPO mind you. NEXT.

With a trip to Las Vegas ahead of me, I started looking within 500 miles of there. Jackpot. About 40 results (2015/16 w/ less than 30k miles) popped up. I quickly narrowed those down by whether or not they had M packages.

That left about 20. Next we went with color. Black, white, or silver. This narrowed the list even further down to 5. After that, I began running VINs through a decoder website to make sure the specs were what I wanted.
Adaptive LED, HUD, HK sound, higher speed limiter, etc.

This narrowed it down to 2 vehicles. A white one in Riverside CA, and a black one by private owner in Crown Valley.

The white one sold while I was on the flight to Vegas and the black one was taken down a day later. It was either budge on the options, or budge on the color. There were strangely TONS of blue ones available.

As I reloaded the saved search (this time in CarGuru app) I found a Glacier Silver one in Santa Ana that had JUST been put on the site. It looked great, 21k miles, carbon mirrors, black grills, 20" Style 624's, stunning at first glance.

I held my breath as I decoded the VIN, being sure that it would be lacking some crucial option like comfort access. The results came back and I grinned. Fully loaded besides leather. Easily the one thing I can live without.

I had my brother, who lives in Mission Viejo, drive down the next morning and give it the look over and test drive. He facetimed me while there and everything was excellent!

I nervously sat in Vegas for the next two days praying nobody would snatch it up and on my last day there, I made the call to the dealer. I told them it was my brother that came by, and I said that if the numbers looked good with financing, I would fly out to SoCal instead of back to South Dakota, and pick up the car.

It took them a minute to run the numbers, and I was literally at the airport with my flight back home boarding in an hour, when they called back and said they could meet my numbers. I swapped my flight from South Dakota to Orange County, and two hours later, I was staring at the face of this gorgeous piece of engineering.

Switching flights meant I only had Friday night in Cali, and then Saturday and Sunday to drive the 1400 mile / 20 hour trip home. It was 7pm when I got to the dealer. I approached the car with eagle eyes, it wasn't a CPO, so I knew I had to do my due diligence with inspecting it. Sure it's under warranty, but still, Carfax only catches so much.

I opened all the doors, popped the hatch and hood, and went to work. I'm an aircraft mechanic by trade, so I do thorough inspections regularly and not much misses my gaze. Everything was pristine.

My optimism started to fade when I went in the idrive and found the message "Oil measurement inactive". Inactive? How do I ensure theres oil in this thing? It also said it required the oil serviced within the next 500 miles. Being 8pm now, taking it to BMW was a no go. I texted my friend who was a master mechanic for BMW, but he was busy at the time. I then scoured the forums for this error. The results eased my tension. Normally either a bad sensor (which would be replaced under warranty) or a chewed/damaged wire. I'll take those odds.

I went ahead with the purchase, crossed my fingers in hopes I could get an appointment at Irvine BMW in the morning, and that all would be good for the trip home.

I received the response from my friend the tech around 11pm that night and he echoed the forum results, bad sensor or wire. I told him that I would take her to BMW Irvine in the a.m. and he replied "That's where I work now!" "What time you coming in?" My face lit up, as I hadn't seen him since he worked on my 1 series in Las Vegas. Needless to say, he got me in bright and early in the morning. Damaged wire fixed, and oil change good to go.

The trip had been successful and I was beyond ecstatic. I decided to drive down to San Diego for a quick visit with an old coworker before leaving back to South Dakota.

And then the unthinkable happened.

I was leaving a gas station outside of Camp Pendleton, and in the middle of a curve/on ramp, I see the face of a Dodge Challenger coming in hot and tight on the inside of the curve. I immediately knew he was over the line, and instincts yanked the wheel right as fast as I could. I barely had any speed as I just left the gas station, so the car couldn't drastically change course, and I heard the faint swish of him catching my rear quarter panel.

I immediately stopped, and looked in my review at him continuing around the curve. I couldn't believe he was running. I threw the car in reverse, and upon turning around, a passerby told me he went into the gas station. I pulled into the gas station to barely catch a glimpse of him continuing through the gas station and into a Denney's parking lot. I caught him and screamed at him to park it.

Cops called, report filed, info exchanged, heart broken.

I know it's just a car. I know we are not injured, but damn. I just put insurance on it a few hours earlier.

I ended up leaving a lot later obviously, and so the trip home was nothing notable, except the enjoyment of becoming acquainted with my new love. And the 32 MPG.
Leaving Vegas

Wyoming

So that's the story. From here on out, I hope to update regularly with what mods are soon to come. En-route are JB4, VSRF DP's, Charge Pipe, and FMIC.

Looking forward to the new adventure, even if it's started out a bit shaky.

Flaws and all. $2.6k in damage if anyone is wondering.

Current State:

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold

Last edited by HondaGoneRogue; 05-19-2019 at 01:48 AM..
Appreciate 19
rjd_F301999.50
Framamind159.50
Zanity731.00
JV973304.00
KRS_SN13422.50
ftally13.00
dezzracer1182.50
goodbyalfa1055.00
RPiM52868.00
clee1982797.50
      09-30-2018, 04:28 PM   #2
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep

Garage List
First and easiest thing to do was update the idrive firmware.

Charge pipe, DP, and FMIC came in.

FMIC next to stock:

Everything installed great. VRSF DP and CP, G-Plus (Ebay) FMIC. Perfect fitment!

Followed the wrong youtube DIY and ended up having to cut the stock CP in half lol. I'd stay away from Kies Motorsports if you absolutely have no idea about the task you are performing.

2008 AW 135i - Sold

Last edited by HondaGoneRogue; 10-07-2018 at 07:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 04:30 PM   #3
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep

Garage List
Installed the MPE with the CF finishers.

Also added a painted performance diffuser.

After that came the CF PSM spoiler:

This is currently how she sits as of Nov:

April
While I absolutely LOVE the stock 624M wheels, I felt the car needed just a bit more exclusivity.
I started searching for aftermarket wheels and eventually wound up finding these BBS Diamond Black LM 19x9 ET27 and 19x10 et37 here on the forums from AR Motorwerkz. Awesome deal and great buying experience!

I knew that this would be an aggressive fitment, and so I needed to lower the car (that was going to happen regardless haha).
I didn't want to just shoot blind and see where lowering springs would place the fitment, and I'm getting too old to have to mess with adjusting coilovers all the time.
This led me to pull the trigger on an Airlift 3P air suspension setup.
Before:

After:

The install was a breeze for the most part, and I didn't have to drill a single hole in the body of the car. A couple small holes in the trunk liner and that was it.
Everything is hidden except the air tank.

For tires I went with General G-Max RS in 245/35/19 and 265/35/19. I didn't want to go for an expensive tire before knowing how the setup would wear. I am very pleased with the tires after about 4k miles. Very comfy and quiet on the highway and they hook really well when you need them to.

A friend and I drove the new incarnation out to Vegas for a broadcasters convention. Besides a small hiccup with a piece of tire puncturing my gas tank, it was a really nice drive.

Continued down to So Cal and picked up a Morph Auto Design front lip. Easily the best looking lip for the F32/F36 imo. Sexy.

May:
Front lip is finally on after getting the bumper resprayed.

2008 AW 135i - Sold

Last edited by HondaGoneRogue; 05-19-2019 at 01:50 AM..
Appreciate 15
      09-30-2018, 04:31 PM   #4
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep

Garage List
Reserved 3

2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 08:02 AM   #5
Kid Red
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i

What a journey. Glad it all worked out in the end.
Sold: 2010 Sapphire Black E90 335i
Appreciate 1
      10-01-2018, 08:05 AM   #6
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Red View Post
What a journey. Glad it all worked out in the end.
Thanks. It was almost flawless haha

2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 08:33 AM   #7
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Great car and I am sure the minor damage will be fixed in no time. Enjoy!

Did you already order the charge pipe? ER makes a very nice product as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 09:48 AM   #8
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Great car and I am sure the minor damage will be fixed in no time. Enjoy!

Did you already order the charge pipe? ER makes a very nice product as well.
Thanks! Yeah I ordered cp dp and fmic all from vsrf just based on price and reviews. I love ER as they were pioneers in the early days. I ran their parts on my 1er. This time I decided to go the cheaper route (even though I wouldn't call ER expensive by any means). We will see if it works out. No biggie to sell if I'm not happy.

2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 10:31 AM   #9
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGoneRogue View Post
Thanks! Yeah I ordered cp dp and fmic all from vsrf just based on price and reviews. I love ER as they were pioneers in the early days. I ran their parts on my 1er. This time I decided to go the cheaper route (even though I wouldn't call ER expensive by any means). We will see if it works out. No biggie to sell if I'm not happy.
Glacier Silver is one of the best colors for Gran Coupe. Your car looks super sharp.
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2018, 03:12 PM   #10
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Quote:
Glacier Silver is one of the best colors for Gran Coupe. Your car looks super sharp.
Thank you sir.

2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 1
Ichiro5.00
      10-02-2018, 11:34 PM   #11
pimp4cheddar
El Capitán
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM X3M

That's a killer car. I'm thinking of looking to buy a CPO 435i GC when my lease is up in November.

Do you mind sharing the deal you as I'm basically looking at the specs you listed in my next car..
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2018, 01:23 AM   #12
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimp4cheddar View Post
That's a killer car. I'm thinking of looking to buy a CPO 435i GC when my lease is up in November.

Do you mind sharing the deal you as I'm basically looking at the specs you listed in my next car..
Thanks. I was able to get this one down from $32, 950 to 31k. With similar options and mileage, I found them outside of California going for about 34-36k.

Location plays a big role obviously, and the cargurus app shows you what the average purchase prices are and whether or not it's fair. Even at 32950 this one was listed as below average price by about 200 bucks.

CPO along the west coast were going for 34/36. But those options were very limited in specs.

I hope that helps.

2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2018, 02:30 PM   #13
Zanity
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 428i

I thought I had it bad lol, the day after I got my new 428i, i watched this old lady smack her door hard into mine, dent scratch, all there, she refused to admit fault, so i took pictures and video and how her door lines up with the scratch and reported to insurance, still waiting for results. But hopefully our luck gets better from here on out.
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2018, 06:30 PM   #14
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanity View Post
I thought I had it bad lol, the day after I got my new 428i, i watched this old lady smack her door hard into mine, dent scratch, all there, she refused to admit fault, so i took pictures and video and how her door lines up with the scratch and reported to insurance, still waiting for results. But hopefully our luck gets better from here on out.
Sorry to hear that bro. I know it sucks. I hope her insurance pays. I'm fighting with the other guys insurance as well.

2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 2
Zanity731.00
clee1982797.50
      10-04-2018, 12:27 PM   #15
Zanity
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Sorry to hear that bro. I know it sucks. I hope her insurance pays. I'm fighting with the other guys insurance as well.
I got the call today from the insurance company saying that old women refused fault as expected, they're bringing her car in for investigation soon and said I've done all I need to, and the video I took was solid proof. How are things looking on your end ? Any updates ?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 02:19 PM   #16
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I got the call today from the insurance company saying that old women refused fault as expected, they're bringing her car in for investigation soon and said I've done all I need to, and the video I took was solid proof. How are things looking on your end ? Any updates ?
Well we tried to get footage from the gas station to show he tried to leave the scene, but that station didn't have cams at the pump. So now my ins co is trying to show his fault by how he hit me by where our 2 cars collided.

So to be continued I guess. :

Be happy that you had the right thinking to film it!

2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 02:27 PM   #17
Zanity
Major
Canada
Rep

Ya, I mount a dash cam now too, so anything that happens on the road is always recorded. You should consider investing into that. To me this is more important than a radar detector.
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2018, 03:11 PM   #18
Gospeedracer
Private
Rep
Drives: Estoril 435i M-Sport

Iv never seen a gran coupe without leather. I'd love to check out your interior!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 03:19 PM   #19
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gospeedracer View Post
Iv never seen a gran coupe without leather. I'd love to check out your interior!
I'll take some pics. It's no different than most. Just black leatherette.

2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 04:15 PM   #20
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ya, I mount a dash cam now too, so anything that happens on the road is always recorded. You should consider investing into that. To me this is more important than a radar detector.
My insurance suggested the same thing

2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 1
Zanity731.00
      10-07-2018, 12:42 PM   #21
Lafatherealtor
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A4, M3 next year

Congrats again on the new car bro, cant wait to see what you do with this one!!!
      10-07-2018, 01:20 PM   #22
JV973
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C HS DCT/MPE

Congrats on the car, minor damage stuff happens, but car looks great and it has my favorite wheels.
2011 E92 335is AW/CR (Nov 2010 - Nov 2013)
2008 E92 328i JB/BL (Feb 2008 - Nov 2010)
Appreciate 1