F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > xDrive All-Wheel Drive Discussions > xDrive vs. Quattro and the rest
Studio RSR

02-16-2016, 04:00 PM   #23
atg4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Shiralian View Post
Now only if Subaru could design better interiors...
You could say the same about BMW, MBZ and Audi haha. E90 armrests, MBZ front air vents and Audi's touch sensitive buttons come to mind...
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 04:15 PM   #24
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by venom4065 View Post
I thought xDrive is a permanent AWD system? That is what it is according to BMW website.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
It is. Normally most of the power goes to the rear wheels, but it will send more to the front if it detects the need.
The default split is 40:60. That's what xDrive delivers all the time, unless it detects a different need.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 07:09 PM   #25
N55Nick
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 435i xDrive

A lot of bad information in this thread. BMW xDrive is on all the time, with default 40:60 to rear. It changes that distribution based on slipt, up to 100% front or rear based on the need, than goes back to 40:60

With the very low center of gravity, xDrive and good winter tires, my 435 feels like a tank in winter storms (except for M sport bumper that acts like a snow plow)....
Appreciate 2
      02-16-2016, 07:20 PM   #26
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by __ View Post
The default split is 40:60. That's what xDrive delivers all the time, unless it detects a different need.
Quote:
Originally Posted by N55Nick View Post
A lot of bad information in this thread. BMW xDrive is on all the time, with default 40:60 to rear. It changes that distribution based on slipt, up to 100% front or rear based on the need, than goes back to 40:60

With the very low center of gravity, xDrive and good winter tires, my 435 feels like a tank in winter storms (except for M sport bumper that acts like a snow plow)....
We should elaborate a bit more on the xDrive "detecting" slip.

The xDrive is more of a utilitarian AWD system than a performance oriented AWD system like the Audi Quattro. It simply can't react fast enough compared to a gear driven center differential.

I would imagine wheel speed sensors plays a big part in the system input. Just like how the wheel sensors + brakes can't come close to replicating the effect of a true limited slip rear differential, it would be unrealistic to expect xDrive to be anything other than a utilitarian AWD system.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 08:05 PM   #27
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post

The xDrive is more of a utilitarian AWD system than a performance oriented AWD system like the Audi Quattro. It simply can't react fast enough compared to a gear driven center differential.

I would imagine wheel speed sensors plays a big part in the system input. Just like how the wheel sensors + brakes can't come close to replicating the effect of a true limited slip rear differential, it would be unrealistic to expect xDrive to be anything other than a utilitarian AWD system.
I actually really hate the xDrive system as it intrudes when it doesn't need to most of the time. Sometimes it saved my ass (turned and hit black ice and it actually allowed me to get out of it by finding dry bit of road) but most of the time I turn off DTC and have a little fun around corners.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 10:10 PM   #28
strumbringer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G30 540i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
I actually really hate the xDrive system as it intrudes when it doesn't need to most of the time. Sometimes it saved my ass (turned and hit black ice and it actually allowed me to get out of it by finding dry bit of road) but most of the time I turn off DTC and have a little fun around corners.
That's not the xDrive, it's just the DSC and it is indeed annoying. I had the same experience in my RWD E92 until I decided to hit that DTC button every time.
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2016, 12:14 AM   #29
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
This. If it's trying to react and change the split, it's because it should have already done it to prevent the slip it's already experiencing. In other words, it's more reactive and you notice it driving.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 12:31 AM   #30
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
This. If it's trying to react and change the split, it's because it should have already done it to prevent the slip it's already experiencing. In other words, it's more reactive and you notice it driving.
The choice is it changes the split based on conditions (which it does in a split second) or the split is fixed and never varies. There is no "should have already done it to prevent the slip it's already experiencing." The only answer there is a fixed split system such as Subaru uses.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 08:17 AM   #31
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
The choice is it changes the split based on conditions (which it does in a split second) or the split is fixed and never varies. There is no "should have already done it to prevent the slip it's already experiencing." The only answer there is a fixed split system such as Subaru uses.
I'm glad you like it.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 09:18 AM   #32
atg4
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

The audi guys seems to think differently.

"If you're pushing a car up a hill, it's nice if someone joins in to help. Nicer still if they were there from the start.

If the question is which is better, all things equal, any reactive system (Haldex) will be inferior to a full time proactive system (Torsen). With Haldex the skid or spin must begin before the other axle kicks in. Sensors, electronics and algorithms may smooth the transition, but it's there. Drive both in the snow and this will be readily apparent.

I'm not saying that Haldex is not good, but it's certainly not as good. You're 4motion Tiguan would easily best a FWD Tiguan through the snow, undoubtedly why you bought it. But you are quite right in noting that the reason your Tiguan goes better in snow than those BMW's and MB's is your choice in tires (and maybe the driver). Put good winter tires on the BM or MB and in really bad conditions, they'll out climb you handily, albeit at 2-3 times the price.

BTW, I don't believe that Subaru uses a Haldex system. They are full time AWD.

So yes, tires are everything. If the tire can't grip the surface, you got nuthin', no matter how many wheels are driving. That's where traction control is so misunderstood. Cutting power to a spinning wheel is great, but eventually that equals no forward motion."

http://www.audiworld.com/forums/perf...drive-2756530/
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 11:33 AM   #33
strumbringer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G30 540i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandertg21 View Post
With Haldex the skid or spin must begin before the other axle kicks in.
Except he's wrong right there. Given that the default split is 60(R)-40(F) on the BMW, the other axle is already kicking in, all the time. What the system does is increase the torque to the non-slipping axle reactively... which a fixed system will not do.

BTW, LSD = "Limited" Slip Differential. So, err, it "limits" slip, but does not eliminate it.

Both systems can be implemented well. Go drive em. Pick the one you like. Let's stop arguing hypotheticals.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 11:48 AM   #34
Bob in IL
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 G01 X3, 2019 G30 5 Series

I currently have one of each (X Drive and Quattro) and any differences are so slight it's not worth comparing. I think most of the differences are perceived.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 11:50 AM   #35
hollandog
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [9.00]
I had the G37x for 3 years.
It behaves like the xDrive for most part but the xDrive would let the rear slip a bit more.

I was able to survive the massive snow storm in Dec 2010 where the city decided to not plow the streets. My G37x with Goodyear Eagle All-season did an amazing job going through 6"-12" of unplowed streets. Took me 8 hours to get home from Long Island that supposed to be normally 2 hours trip. Along the way all kinds of cars were abandoned on the side of the highways. I was offered $350 to give a guy ride home because his Ford was stuck at an intersection.

Even the plow truck got stuck with chain around the block and left a big pot hole after.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 12:09 PM   #36
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in IL View Post
I currently have one of each (X Drive and Quattro) and any differences are so slight it's not worth comparing. I think most of the differences are perceived.
When you say you have Quattro, are you referring to the system found in the Audi A4 or the Audi S4 (which has an optional rear limited slip differential)?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 12:33 PM   #37
Bob in IL
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 G01 X3, 2019 G30 5 Series

Quote:
When you say you have Quattro, are you referring to the system found in the Audi A4 or the Audi S4 (which has an optional rear limited slip differential)?
Same system as in A4/Q5 etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 02:18 PM   #38
335BOY
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface View Post
A4 quattro models are longitudinal engine setups (same as bmw) and torsen awd. All four wheels are always powered in the audi vs on the bmw defaulting to RWD until it senses a slip. Quattro feels way more planted for me while xdrive is a bit more fun. On an unplowed road with nannies off the audi will tend to drift if I crank the steering wheel and stomp the gas while the bmw will want to turn the tail around. That being said both cars driven sensibly are very safe and get you through pretty much anything.
I can do donuts in my Audi in snow. It starts 40% front 60% rear. This annual thread is great.
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2016, 02:20 PM   #39
335BOY
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in IL View Post

Agreed!
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2016, 02:54 PM   #40
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
I'm glad you like it.
I didn't say I like it. I didn't say I like any one more than another.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 05:02 PM   #41
OldOne
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i

Quote:
Per CNET, Subaru uses at least four different versions of Symmetrical AWD.
http://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/no...created-equal/
An ex-Subaru guy here. I think it's more like 5 or 6. I have a first hand experience with 3.

1. An older manual WRX: 50/50 split, 2 viscous LSDs center and rear, open front diff (note that newer manual WRX'es now have an open diff in the rear).
2. WRX STi: mechanical LSDs front and rear, mechanical + electronic center diff (DCCD), 40/60 default split
3. CVT Forester: open front and rear diffs, no center diff (rear axle is connected via an electronic clutch pack), 90/10 split (I don't believe 60/40 quoted in the article is correct).

They do feel differently. In the snow, both WRX and both STi feel more planted than the Forester: wheel slippage is harder to get under the same conditions, but the STi is a bit more tail-happy due to a slight rear bias (and is an absolute blast when you do break all 4 wheels free). The Forester, on the other hand, spins front tires easily, and there is a noticeable delay before the rear kicks in.

It is my understanding that the xDrive is functionally similar to the system in the Forester (and Haldex AWD) except it's backwards (rear biased). Basically, in this kind of a setup one axle *always* gets the power, and the other one gets variable power depending on the degree of lockup of the clutch pack, as decided by the computer based on various inputs.

I now drive a 340i xDrive, and while i don't have a lot of experience in the snow yet, it feels somewhat like the Forester in terms of a pronounced reactive response to wheel slippage on one axle: it seems like you do need to have some slippage on one axle in order to feel the other kick in. It obviously drives totally differently since it's rear-biased, and is very tail-happy with nannies off, a lot more so than the STi that supposedly has the same 40/60 torque split. I suspect that the xDrive in this car is actually more rear-biased than that, and the split ratio might vary between Comfort, Sport, and Sport+, but I'm not sure yet. Definitely need to play in the snow some more!

Anyway: my initial impression is that xDrive is totally adequate for winter driving for normal people as long as you leave the nannies on, but if you're Tommi Makinen, you want the STi for the snow.

That being said, I love the 340i.

My 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 02:06 PM   #42
jbeene
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16 435i GC

"my initial impression is that xDrive is totally adequate for winter driving for normal people as long as you leave the nannies on, but if you're Tommi Makinen, you want the STi for the snow."

Agreed. I could do flat spins with all 4 wheels spinning in the my Subaru. Never tried it in the xdrive but I will say that on the highway, in terrible conditions, the xdrive is very sure footed.

Bad driving conditions make for excellent skiing conditions - I've had more than a dozen powder days this year...and I don't give up much time to the road conditions. That said I'm running Nokian Hakka R2's. Killer tires.
      02-20-2016, 10:53 PM   #43
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i | M2 CS | X5 35i

What differential is in the 340i xDrive? Can't tell by driving it. Haven't been able to make the tires spin.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2016, 11:07 PM   #44
pjohns21
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 EB-II/CR 228i xDrive

Oh Momo, you had to go and open this same can of worms again... Take heed- there are many xDrive "experts" on here. Please take their information with a grain of salt.
Appreciate 0