F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > Comparing Apple CarPlay retrofit options
proTUNING Freaks

06-08-2019, 07:12 AM   #23
vinnik
Rep
Drives: 123d e87 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettcp View Post
Did you happen to get this installed? Any feedback? Thanks!
yeah I managed to install it and just took out the ashtray in my e87 and put it in there. You cant see any wires at all and the box working pretty good. Resolution is correct after software update with usb and wireless carplay working smooth!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 05:16 PM   #24
laks160492
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgunther View Post
I just came across a wireless option option from BimmerRetrofit.com.

Wireless Apple CarPlay Retrofit for NBT iDrive - $599

Pros
-Wireless
-Supports Steering Wheel Controls
-Supports Full Screen

Cons
- External Microphone
- Expensive
- Rebranded IDCORE (Mentioned in pairing process)

Bimmer Retrofit Apple Car Play Adapter for NBT Installation

----Description from Website----
The most complete Apple CarPlay wireless integration for your NBT iDrive is finally here!

​Our CarPlay NBT adapter allows integration of the CarPlay system in to existing NBT system in your vehicle. Adapter connects to existing NBT iDrive system and uses it to display CarPlay mode while communicating with your Apple device wirelessly (Bluetooth and WiFi).

Once connected with your Apple device you can enjoy a variety of iOS apps on the BMW NBT display. This is not a true screen mirroring solution, but Apple CarPlay is as close as it gets to screen mirroring - it lets you use Apple Maps for navigation and traffic, access iTunes and send text messages! More functions will be added over time by Apple/BMW.

​If your vehicle is already equipped with NBT iDrive you should be able to install this adapter
​There is no need to perform any coding or configuration of your NBT system to work with CarPlay adapter. The only configuration required is Pairing of your Apple device via BT with CarPlay adapter.
If your vehicle is not equipped with NBT iDrive, no worries! We can provide you with everything that you will need to install NBT or even NBT EVO retrofit (has built in native CarPlay) in your car. For more information on the NBT EVO retrofit in your specific car, please see this link and email us with the VIN of your car.​​
They do have the similar one for cic now. Atleast that is what their customer service rep told me. It is supposed to ship on 6/17 if someone had pre-ordered.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 02:36 PM   #25
innovaciones
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F32 428i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnik View Post
yeah I managed to install it and just took out the ashtray in my e87 and put it in there. You cant see any wires at all and the box working pretty good. Resolution is correct after software update with usb and wireless carplay working smooth!
Hello, I'm looking to retrofit CarPlay on a F32 with the NBT version of your install, I have a few questions if you don't mind:

Is there a custom menu before you enter the CarPlay interface? something like this?

View post on imgur.com

If yes how it looks?

Do you need to hold the menu button on iDrive everytime you enter your car to connect to CarPlay? or it works automatically just activating CarPlay on your iPhone?

How good works the external mic? if you make a call from iDrive do you use the new external mic or the original mic?

Can you use AirPlay Mirror?

Do you need to use the AUX source for the sound? how good is the sound quality?

And finally how hard was the install?

Thank you very much!!

Cheers!!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 10:12 AM   #26
KCTiger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

I have an X5 but does anyone know of a reputable shop in the Kansas City, MO area that could install one of these CarPlay retrofits? I am sure the task is manageable but I simply don't want the stress of doing it. And yes, it would be stressful for me, at least until it was done and working properly lol. Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 12:18 PM   #27
chazmink
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport

Unique AD just notified me that they now have a wireless/wired CIC version. https://unique-ad.co.uk/product/wire...era-interface/

2013 328i MSport Estoril Blue, 6spd MT, Premium, Tech & Drivers Assist +, Bavsound Stage One/Ghost, Bimmertech Amp
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 12:38 AM   #28
melburn21
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 328i

I'm having my 2015 M3 retrofitted by a guy I know for $990... would you guys say that is a reasonable price?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 10:20 AM   #29
innovaciones
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by innovaciones View Post
Hello, I'm looking to retrofit CarPlay on a F32 with the NBT version of your install, I have a few questions if you don't mind:

Do you need to hold the menu button on iDrive everytime you enter your car to connect to CarPlay? or it works automatically just activating CarPlay on your iPhone?

How good works the external mic? if you make a call from iDrive do you use the new external mic or the original mic?

Thank you very much!!

Cheers!!
I pulled the trigger and bought it, everything is working great, the install was not that hard and CarPlay is a pretty amazing upgrade on my car, to use Waze in your BMW fullscreen is like a dream.

So I'm going to answer my own questions to help others.

Quote:
No you don't need to press anything, it connects automatically everytime you get in your car, it just works.

Quote:
The external mic have pretty bad quality, fortunately you can still use the BMW built in mic for calls.

Quote:
No that I'm aware, but maybe this could be enable in the future with a firmware update.

Quote:
You can use both Bluetooth and AUX source for music, the AUX sounds good in my opinion.

Quote:
Everything was pretty straightforward, the hard part was disconnecting some cables that don't go out that easily, you really need to be careful not using to much force so you don't break anything.
Appreciate 1
bcoz80.50
      09-12-2019, 11:32 AM   #30
ryan1982
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320d G20 2019

I can't decide if to buy this for my F30 with a basic CIC system with no nav https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...c00kXM1qu&mp=1 i was wondering if anyone has any advice or experience on this?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 11:16 AM   #31
pjaneiro
Rep
Drives: e90 2007

what's bothering me is the external mic, has anyone tried splicing into the original mic with the unichip ?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 10:10 AM   #32
Firthy76
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 220i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan1982 View Post
I can't decide if to buy this for my F30 with a basic CIC system with no nav https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...c00kXM1qu&mp=1 i was wondering if anyone has any advice or experience on this?
Hi Ryan. Did you get one of these in the end? Looking for something for my F22 220i
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 02:21 PM   #33
Firthy76
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 220i Sport

Option 2: Unichip CarPlay Smartbox
https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...737501642.html

Price: $409 USD (price quoted for one unit)

Pros:
  • Cheapest option
  • Supports full-screen mode
  • Supports steering wheel controls
Cons:
  • Bad customer support
  • Requires a standalone microphone
  • Doesn't support wireless CarPlay (but a wireless option is 'coming soon')
  • No touch support

So. I went for Option 2 on my 2015 F22 220i, and have to say i'm very impressed. I have the 6.5' screen with business iDrive

I found the chat service on the Alibaba website very responsive, even at 10pm UK time. Alex Yang answered all my questions and advised which one to order. I went for this one https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...2ce83e5fLJUOsz

It cost me $284 including shipping, I ordered it late Thursday night and it arrived Monday morning

The quality was very good, and while basic the instructions were good enough, the toggle settings in the book didn't work, I used the ones printed on the bottom of the module.

It took me about an hour to install and didn't work properly at the first attempt. I was getting audio but no picture on USB and the Bluetooth wouldn't connect, but when tried fitting it all in it must've pushed a connection in properly as it worked. (I also made the rookie mistake of not putting something over the trim to protect it so now have a few dinks in my trim )

Now when I get in it will connect wirelessly with a simple press of a button and works really well. Sound quality is also very good on bluetooth for music and calls. Also love that I can use the TomTom app as well. Whatsapp is ok, doesn't seem to display messages but you can send one through Siri. On that note the Siri integration is excellent, I also like that it reads out text messages rather than show them.

For anyone with a F22, it was a bit tight for space, put I managed to get the unit down almost vertically in the space at the back of the head unit hole. I also swapped the display connection cable around as the one that came with the kit was a lot longer than the BMW one.

So overall very happy. It would've cost me nearly double for the MMi option and this gives me everything I need
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 04:50 AM   #34
franzzz
Captain
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

https://www.android-car-dvd.com/coll...YaAmQ3EALw_wcB

This one is good ?
BMW F82 M4 Black MHD CS Map - GTS DKG - Navi -Performance Brake RSL1 Pads - USB - DivX-DVD - Bluetooth - VoiceControl - Connect - Apps - Online - H&K - TrafficInfo - SpLimInfo - WhiteMerino- PDC - Cam - Adaptive Led - Antitheft - CP Steering- Performance ST - Adaptive CP Setup - GarageDoorOpen - Pipercross - Stock Exhaust - Mdrivers Pack - 437M Wheels
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 08:25 PM   #35
rob10k8
Rep
Drives: 2015 435xi

Quote:
I pulled the trigger and bought it, everything is working great, the install was not that hard and CarPlay is a pretty amazing upgrade on my car, to use Waze in your BMW fullscreen is like a dream.

Thanks for the detailed info. I think I’m going to get the Kremersino.

One question: Is there anything you don’t like about it? Any regrets not getting a different brand?

Rob
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 08:44 AM   #36
innovaciones
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob10k8 View Post
Quote:

Thanks for the detailed info. I think I’m going to get the Kremersino.

One question: Is there anything you don’t like about it? Any regrets not getting a different brand?

Rob
Loving it everyday, the seller support is great I got the newest firmware update last week and now the box support USB & Wireless CarPlay connection at the same time and the sound quality improved a lot.

No regrets, everything works as expected, also this box feels very OEM, BMW logo at startup, BMW icon in CarPlay and the connection is done in the background.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 01:31 PM   #37
shunjaruff
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i GranCoupe

Any reason no one is considering SmartView HD Apple TV/3TV4 (iPhone Screen Mirroring)
from BimmerTech? As you can use appleTV, hence the mirroring.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 03:28 PM   #38
rob10k8
Rep

Quote:
Loving it everyday, the seller support is great I got the newest firmware update last week and now the box support USB & Wireless CarPlay connection at the same time and the sound quality improved a lot.

No regrets, everything works as expected, also this box feels very OEM, BMW logo at startup, BMW icon in CarPlay and the connection is done in the background.
Great Information, Thanks!

A couple questions re: USB - does that use the USB connection in the center console? Also, what does USB & Wireless CP mean from a usage stand point?

Thanks again!

Rob
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 03:59 PM   #39
innovaciones
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Great Information, Thanks!

A couple questions re: USB - does that use the USB connection in the center console? Also, what does USB & Wireless CP mean from a usage stand point?

Thanks again!

Rob
Sure, before this update you had to set in the factory settings if you want to use wireless or USB CarPlay connection, if you selected USB then you can't use Wireless CarPlay and if you selected wireless then you can't use USB CarPlay.

So I guess you wonder so whats the problem? well you can still use Wireless for your iPhone but if someone else drives your car like your wife then she won't be able to use CarPlay at all because your iPhone is already set as the wireless connection and she would need to remove your iPhone and then do all the setup process and nobody want to do that everytime!

So with this new mode you can still use a wireless connection with your iPhone and your wife can connect her iPhone using the USB connection to use CarPlay, so the best of both worlds.

The USB connection is done directly from the CarPlay box, you get a USB female connector cable and then you connect your own USB cable to connect your phone.

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 12:30 PM   #40
rob10k8
Rep

Quote:
Sure, before this update you had to set in the factory settings if you want to use wireless or USB CarPlay connection, if you selected USB then you can't use Wireless CarPlay and if you selected wireless then you can't use USB CarPlay.

So I guess you wonder so whats the problem? well you can still use Wireless for your iPhone but if someone else drives your car like your wife then she won't be able to use CarPlay at all because your iPhone is already set as the wireless connection and she would need to remove your iPhone and then do all the setup process and nobody want to do that everytime!

So with this new mode you can still use a wireless connection with your iPhone and your wife can connect her iPhone using the USB connection to use CarPlay, so the best of both worlds.

The USB connection is done directly from the CarPlay box, you get a USB female connector cable and then you connect your own USB cable to connect your phone.

Good info! I also have a 4 series - where did you put the USB cable that comes with the unit? I'd love to have it look like it was part of the car rather than having a cable hanging from the dash....

Rob
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 02:29 PM   #41
innovaciones
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Good info! I also have a 4 series - where did you put the USB cable that comes with the unit? I'd love to have it look like it was part of the car rather than having a cable hanging from the dash....

Rob
Here is a picture of how it looks in my car
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 02:26 AM   #42
Yom
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

Hi,
Is it possible to listen the radio/car usb while using the carplay for navigation?
How can you use the car's bt phone (microphone) and the carplay's connection at the same time?
Yom
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 07:48 AM   #43
llirik
Enlisted Member
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i Cabrio M-Sport

I have a 2009 e93 MSport.... is that too old for any of these? It has CIC i believe but looking through the options it's quite confusing.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 10:51 AM   #44
rob10k8
Rep

Quote:
Here is a picture of how it looks in my car
OK, so I need to know about that charging mat. It looks like a perfect fit and now I must have one!

Can you let me know the brand?

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0