F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Spark Plug Options for N55 Engine
Studio RSR

12-18-2018, 08:56 PM   #45
dr.roro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G01 X3

Garage List
Do you guys use any dielectric grease when installing spark plugs?

Seems like anti-seize is generally no longer recommended, but couldn't find as much information regarding dielectric grease.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 07:51 AM   #46
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i, M-Sport, Manual

I do not and neither does the dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.roro View Post
Do you guys use any dielectric grease when installing spark plugs?

Seems like anti-seize is generally no longer recommended, but couldn't find as much information regarding dielectric grease.

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V804s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, AEM WMI, H&R Sport Springs (381 whp, 429 wtq on Cali 91oct before WMI).
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 05:53 PM   #47
bmw4jh
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

I bought the ebay spark plugs and received them today. The boxes say made in Germany and also the actual plug says Germany. It took about three weeks to get them. I feel confident that they are safe to install. We will see.
      02-06-2019, 04:37 AM   #48
jv004
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp

Here's my personal experience with NGK97506 & NGK95770 on a F32

I ran NGK97506s for about 4 months, F32 hated me for it . It was just not right, gapped at .022 and idle felt kinda rough but ran fine through the gears and no misfires. Increased gap and it fixed idle but on WOT felt small hesitations, again no misfires or codes.
Decided to ditch them and try NGK95770s, @ gap .022 and idle immediately felt smooth, going though gears and wots felt fine also, one week with them and no issues so far.

I'll probably save the 97506s since they still look fine, and try them again with PS2 if I go that route. But my car as it is now, did not like them.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 10:09 AM   #49
doodlebro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 X3 35i

My mechanic recently installed a PS2 on my N55, I had 97506's on hand and he installed them with a gap of .018, mostly for altitude. Haven't tuned yet, but feels smooth all over.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 12:59 PM   #50
Rebound
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F33: The 435i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredG_F30 View Post
Thanks johnung this is very comprehensive. I'm my experience the NGK 95706 works great on my tuned N55 engine. From the research I have done these are one step colder then the stock Bosche plugs. I have mine gapped at 0.022" as the slightly larger gap seems to help with a slight rough idle issue and hesitation at light load. Others have stated that the stock Bosch plugs at the stock gap is good for 500hp so going to a colder plug with smaller gap may not be necessary. I have a set of new Bosch stock plugs so when it's time to change plugs I'm going to put the stock ones in and log to see how the engine likes the stock plugs. If I see timing issues I'll go back to NGK 95706.
Thanks for the reply. I'm happy to hear that you have run the NGK95706 successfully. I was hoping for replies from folks who have real world experience with various plugs in the N55 as all of my statements are second hand and not from experience. You mentioned that 0.022" is the gap to use with them and it sounds like you have had the ability to log any timing issues. Has your experience with the NGK's all been positive? Curious what's moving you back to try the stock Bosch plugs? In general the folks whom I have spoken with who use Bosch do so because they never really considered or checked out anything else. I'm very curious what you discover by evaluating both Bosch stock and NGK 1-step colder.

FYI- Saw in your profile that you intend to upgrade to M Performance Brakes. Not sure if you mean Brembo 4-piston front/2-piston rear, OR Brembo 6-piston front/4-piston rear? I just upgraded my rear to Brembo 2-piston to go with the stock Brembo 4-piston fronts. Painted front & rear calipers to match. Hawk 5.0 pads and stainless steel lines all around. Great result! Instead of nose diving, whole car squats flat when braking.
Hawk 5.0 much better than stock and less dust. Dust not as sticky on wheels. Stainless lines makes brakes much more responsive. No play in pedal before they engage. Have a lot of detailed information about that brake project that I should post.

Was just in NC with my son and my car last month looking at colleges. Would like to check out your car next time we are there.
When you upgraded from the single to the dual-pistons, what part number did you use? Did you need a different rotor, and did you need to code after changing the caliper?
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2019, 12:57 PM   #51
CommoN81
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35i

Thanks for the info. Very helpful, just a couple of questions.

I have BMS Stage 1 tune. BMS offers Plug change kit with NGK 5992 1-Step Colder Spark Plug. Based on the above, those are same temp as OEM. Being that I am only running stage 1 with no intention of going further, would these be fine, gapped to .020? Should I leave at the stock .03 gap?

Also, do the coil packs need to be changed at the same time as the plugs?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 12:07 PM   #52
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebound View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks johnung this is very comprehensive. I'm my experience the NGK 95706 works great on my tuned N55 engine. From the research I have done these are one step colder then the stock Bosche plugs. I have mine gapped at 0.022" as the slightly larger gap seems to help with a slight rough idle issue and hesitation at light load. Others have stated that the stock Bosch plugs at the stock gap is good for 500hp so going to a colder plug with smaller gap may not be necessary. I have a set of new Bosch stock plugs so when it's time to change plugs I'm going to put the stock ones in and log to see how the engine likes the stock plugs. If I see timing issues I'll go back to NGK 95706.
Thanks for the reply. I'm happy to hear that you have run the NGK95706 successfully. I was hoping for replies from folks who have real world experience with various plugs in the N55 as all of my statements are second hand and not from experience. You mentioned that 0.022" is the gap to use with them and it sounds like you have had the ability to log any timing issues. Has your experience with the NGK's all been positive? Curious what's moving you back to try the stock Bosch plugs? In general the folks whom I have spoken with who use Bosch do so because they never really considered or checked out anything else. I'm very curious what you discover by evaluating both Bosch stock and NGK 1-step colder.

FYI- Saw in your profile that you intend to upgrade to M Performance Brakes. Not sure if you mean Brembo 4-piston front/2-piston rear, OR Brembo 6-piston front/4-piston rear? I just upgraded my rear to Brembo 2-piston to go with the stock Brembo 4-piston fronts. Painted front & rear calipers to match. Hawk 5.0 pads and stainless steel lines all around. Great result! Instead of nose diving, whole car squats flat when braking.
Hawk 5.0 much better than stock and less dust. Dust not as sticky on wheels. Stainless lines makes brakes much more responsive. No play in pedal before they engage. Have a lot of detailed information about that brake project that I should post.

Was just in NC with my son and my car last month looking at colleges. Would like to check out your car next time we are there.
When you upgraded from the single to the dual-pistons, what part number did you use? Did you need a different rotor, and did you need to code after changing the caliper?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hi,
I don't recall seeing your post a month ago. It's weird that a notification just popped up to tell me about it today.
To answer your questions:
1) I didn't order the rear 2-piston Brembo brake calipers by part number. (They are blue.) Bought them used from a guy on the forum. However I did do a lot of research because I was afraid to get stuck with the wrong part. I found out from Brembo themselves that casting numbers on the calipers are meaningless in that they are NOT BMW part numbers. I know that BMW sells M Sport brake packages on many cars so just because I found a set painted blue didn't necessarily mean that they would fit my 2015 335i.

2) They answer to my dilemma turned out to be the used rotors that matched and were being sold with the used blue calipers. The calipers that I was looking for for my car use larger rotors- 345mm x 24mm (1-piston stock rear calipers use smaller rotors- 330x20)
So as soon as I verified the rotor size I knew the caliper was correct.
Stock rotors wear great. The used rotors had 15k miles on them and measured less than 5% wear of the available wear material. Harbor Freight sells an inexpensive measuring caliper that works great for this. If u need rotors go with zinc coated Zimmerman's. They are a good German OEM manufacturer and the coated rotor hats won't rust like BMW rotors.
3) I just don't recall on the coding. I don't think new coding was necessary but just don't remember. Larger such as 6-piston front/ 4-piston rear would need coding.
Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 12:12 PM   #53
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommoN81 View Post

I have BMS Stage 1 tune. BMS offers Plug change kit with NGK 5992 1-Step Colder Spark Plug. Based on the above, those are same temp as OEM. Being that I am only running stage 1 with no intention of going further, would these be fine, gapped to .020? Should I leave at the stock .03 gap?

Thanks
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommoN81 View Post

Thanks
Sorry, your question just popped up in my notifications today.
I'm no expert but I haven't seen anyone recommend changing coil packs EVERY time plugs are changed. With a bunch of performance mods going on my car now, I'm planning to change to NGKs with 0.020" gap right away. And investigate changing coils with my next plug change in 15-20k miles or so
Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 06:28 PM   #54
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I have a guess as to where this occasional comment originates concerning replacing the coils at the same time that the spark plugs are changed. I believe the stock Bosch plugs on a normal N55 are supposed to be changed every 60k miles. I've also heard to change the stock coils about every 60k miles. On a tuned car, such as BootMod3 Stage1, I've heard to cut that spark plug recommendation in half and change the Bosch spark plugs at 30k miles.

However, on more aggressive tunes, such as BootMod3 Stage2, BM3 recommends a switch from the Bosch plugs to the colder Laser Iridium NGK 97506 (SILZKBR8D8S), and to gap them down to 0.022". The gap on the Laser Iridium plugs can be changed easily, but you need a special smaller gapping tool typically used for motorcycles, etc. Snap-On has one for about $12 shipped. The Bosch plugs are more fragile and often break when attempting to re-gap them. The NGK's are recommended to be changed every 15k-20k miles. So the rule of thumb that I've heard is to change coils every other time that you change the NGK spark plugs which would be every 30k-40k miles, instead of every 60k with an untuned car on stock Bosch plugs.
Hope this helps!
Appreciate 2
aps335.50
      04-18-2019, 07:23 PM   #55
dr.roro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G01 X3

Garage List
Quote:
Snap-On has one for about $12 shipped.
Do you have a link for the Snap-On gap tool?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 07:46 PM   #56
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.roro View Post
Quote:
Snap-On has one for about $12 shipped.
Do you have a link for the Snap-On gap tool?
The Snap-On part number is FB302A
Appreciate 2
dr.roro195.50
aps335.50
      11-25-2019, 10:54 PM   #57
pw0n
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Wanted to add to this endless debate/confusion. Hopefully it adds more data points to people looking for help.

I just changed out my spark plugs today @ 58k mi. I believe this was the first time they were done. Pulled them out and they were 0.031-0.032mm. I've been running BM3 Stage 2 for the past 5k or so miles.

I upgraded to NGK 97506 gapped to 0.026mm. I wanted to try out 0.026mm and gap down as necessary. Car runs fine so far and burbles sound much more pronounced (running catless + stock OEM exhaust), so I'm sticking to this for now. I think 0.024 mm or even 0.022 mm will be fine. Next time around, I'll probably play around w/ 0.024 mm.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 12:12 AM   #58
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw0n View Post
Wanted to add to this endless debate/confusion. Hopefully it adds more data points to people looking for help.

I just changed out my spark plugs today @ 58k mi. I believe this was the first time they were done. Pulled them out and they were 0.031-0.032mm. I've been running BM3 Stage 2 for the past 5k or so miles.

I upgraded to NGK 97506 gapped to 0.026mm. I wanted to try out 0.026mm and gap down as necessary. Car runs fine so far and burbles sound much more pronounced (running catless + stock OEM exhaust), so I'm sticking to this for now. I think 0.024 mm or even 0.022 mm will be fine. Next time around, I'll probably play around w/ 0.024 mm.
I am assuming you mean inches and not mm?

Did you have any indication of a misfire running stage 2 with those stock ones? And/or notice any improvement once changing them? I imagine the gap had increased a bit from wear. I am at 42k miles, original plugs, and was considering doing them at 45k with my next service. I am about to order a DP and was going to go to MHD 2+ but was concerned about doing so on 45k mi plugs. I am stage 1 with stock DP right now, no issues.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 12:36 AM   #59
pw0n
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
I am assuming you mean inches and not mm?

Did you have any indication of a misfire running stage 2 with those stock ones? And/or notice any improvement once changing them? I imagine the gap had increased a bit from wear. I am at 42k miles, original plugs, and was considering doing them at 45k with my next service. I am about to order a DP and was going to go to MHD 2+ but was concerned about doing so on 45k mi plugs. I am stage 1 with stock DP right now, no issues.
Yeah, sorry, inches. Nope, no indications of misfiring, but I wanted to make sure I stayed ahead of that. The stock ones were at 0.031-0.031" while the NGK came pre-gapped at around 0.030-0.031". I think you'll be fine w/ stock at 45k for now.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 11:20 PM   #60
delorean175
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Msport, 1982 E28 528e

Quote:
NGK97506 SILZKBR8D8S Laser Iridium Plug. Gapped to 0.031" out of the box. This plug is rated by NGK to be one-step colder than the NGK 95770. (Note the number 8 in the middle of the NGK part number.) In NGK lingo the higher numbers are colder plugs. So this #8 plug is colder than the #7 plugs. This plug is listed as standard for the BMW N20 and S55 engines. NGK tables also list this plug as the stock plug for the N55 engine. But that appears to be wrong. This #8 plug should be considered to be one-step colder than the stock BMW spark plug. (Burger actually lists this plug as 2-steps colder for the N54 engine, which would confirm that it is 1-step colder for the N55 engine.) For performance enhanced engines this plug should be gapped down to 0.020".
I recently changed my plugs (Bosch ZR5TPP33) along with the coils, I got multiple misfires. After some diagnosis and playing musical chairs with the plugs and coils. I found out 2 of the 6 plugs were duds. I decided to go with NGK plugs and ditch the Bosch's. According to what is posted in this thread, the NGK97506 plugs are 1 step colder. How do you guys think they would do on a stock engine? If so, would I leave them gapped at .031? I can't seem to get the NGK95770 plugs in this state to save my life. None of the local autoparts stores have them nor are they available for special order. Kinda Weird. A local Euro Indy shop says he can order me a set of the 97506's. He says they will be fine. I don't know this guy or his competence level. He says he's put these in stock cars before because it's what NGK has listed as a stock plug. I'm learning how sensitive these engines are to misfires. I don't want to piss it off with the wrong plugs. lol
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 06:16 AM   #61
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by delorean175 View Post
Quote:
NGK97506 SILZKBR8D8S Laser Iridium Plug. Gapped to 0.031" out of the box. This plug is rated by NGK to be one-step colder than the NGK 95770. (Note the number 8 in the middle of the NGK part number.) In NGK lingo the higher numbers are colder plugs. So this #8 plug is colder than the #7 plugs. This plug is listed as standard for the BMW N20 and S55 engines. NGK tables also list this plug as the stock plug for the N55 engine. But that appears to be wrong. This #8 plug should be considered to be one-step colder than the stock BMW spark plug. (Burger actually lists this plug as 2-steps colder for the N54 engine, which would confirm that it is 1-step colder for the N55 engine.) For performance enhanced engines this plug should be gapped down to 0.020".
I recently changed my plugs (Bosch ZR5TPP33) along with the coils, I got multiple misfires. After some diagnosis and playing musical chairs with the plugs and coils. I found out 2 of the 6 plugs were duds. I decided to go with NGK plugs and ditch the Bosch's. According to what is posted in this thread, the NGK97506 plugs are 1 step colder. How do you guys think they would do on a stock engine? If so, would I leave them gapped at .031? I can't seem to get the NGK95770 plugs in this state to save my life. None of the local autoparts stores have them nor are they available for special order. Kinda Weird. A local Euro Indy shop says he can order me a set of the 97506's. He says they will be fine. I don't know this guy or his competence level. He says he's put these in stock cars before because it's what NGK has listed as a stock plug. I'm learning how sensitive these engines are to misfires. I don't want to piss it off with the wrong plugs. lol
Not sure what engine you have but the NGK 97506 ran fine when they were installed in my N55 before I flashed it to BootMod3 Stage2.

Lately I've read that there are fake NGK's being sold on the market. Mine came from Burger. I'd trust that they are selling the real deal.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 08:09 AM   #62
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan

Quote:

Where/what vendor did you get the bad plugs from? Did they accept the returns and reimburse you? I typically get my parts/fluids from FCPEUR and have not experienced any issues.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 11:10 AM   #63
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelsrbetter View Post
https://www.ebay.com/itm/6pcs-Bosch-Spark-Plug-ZR5TPP33S-for-BMW-335i-435i-535i-640i-X3-F25-12120037582-/302479474323?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

any thoughts on these? I typically shy away from too good to be true scenarios, and shipping from China/HK/Taiwan doesn't make me feel any better. 1/2 price is tempting, anyone gone in on something like this?
I wouldn't. Bosch no longer makes the (S) plugs btw. I'd look elsewhere or buy non(S).

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 12:41 PM   #64
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Not sure what engine you have but the NGK 97506 ran fine when they were installed in my N55 before I flashed it to BootMod3 Stage2.

Lately I've read that there are fake NGK's being sold on the market. Mine came from Burger. I'd trust that they are selling the real deal.
Mines an n55, I've heard of fake spark plugs before. Pretty nuts what lengths people will go to make clones.
Yeah, I wouldn't buy any spark plugs off eBay with all of the bad clone reports. NGK 97506 were out of stock internationally while NGK did some sort of factory change. Think it caused clone makers to jump in to make a quick buck
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 12:42 PM   #65
delorean175
Private
Rep

Quote:

I'm glad to hear they worked for you. My engine is an n55. I've heard of fake spark plugs before. Pretty nuts what lengths people will go to make clones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion4 View Post
Where/what vendor did you get the bad plugs from? Did they accept the returns and reimburse you? I typically get my parts/fluids from FCPEUR and have not experienced any issues.
I bought them from Amazon. The vendor is WesNew Auto Parts. They had good ratings and a great price. It was too good to be true. But you gotta love Amazons return policy. haha The old plugs are going back tomorrow.

I've been on FCPEUR before, initially $20 per plug seemed steep but that's what I ended up paying when ordering from my local Indy shop.

I spoke with the Indy mechanic some more regarding the plugs, he reassured me they will run perfectly fine. He told me he has the exact same car and runs those plugs. Then he took me around to a side garage and showed me his collection of cars. It could be an elaborate sales tactic, own 1 of every common body style since the 80's so he can say he knows what hes doing. haha It worked, the plugs come in tomorrow. I paid $130 after tax.

I appreciate your input guys!

Last edited by delorean175; 11-28-2019 at 12:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 08:34 PM   #66
delorean175
Private
Rep

I put the plugs in, I'm impressed so far. It drives way better. The old plugs looked really old. I have no idea when the PO had them replaced last. I'll be sticking with these from now on.
Appreciate 0