F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Adaptive suspension strut toast
proTUNING Freaks

12-02-2019, 12:08 PM   #1
Momir13
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 14 335i xdrive

Adaptive suspension strut toast

So I know this has been discussed but I'm having a super hard time finding threads I know I've read before.

I have a 14 335 xdrive with cpo expiring on the 12-9-19 so I took it in to get some noise looked at.

I thought it was the steering rack SA said he believed it was my front dif.

Both of us were incorrect and the tech diagnosed my front left strut as leaking. Replacement quote is 1,3xx and some change.

Now focp euro has one strut priced at 330 and I'm guessing the dealer won't replace just one (I asked and they have yet to respond if the quote was for one or two.... honestly it's taken them 10 days just to diagnose my car if I didn't have a loaner I would've been pissed)

Im keeping the adaptive aspect as I enjoy it and I don't track the car.

How difficult would this be to replace myself and is there a thread anywhere of how to do it?

Any combo I search about the adaptive suspension usually just leads me to results of people deleting it or what kind of springs they can lower their cars on.

Any insight on how to get this done is greatly appreciated as well as tips/tricks or specialty tools I may need.

I'm diy inclined and my neighbor is an Alfa Romeo tech so we should be able to get it done between the two of us
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 12:43 PM   #2
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

It's best to inspect all four M Adaptive struts and learn if other struts could be at risk of leaking or failing.

Bilstein offers B6 Damptronic struts, a better alternative to OEM struts. These can be used with stock springs (which I would recommend replacing at the same time if the milage is sufficiently high).

If both struts have to be replaced + potentially springs, the cost is already higher than KW Street Comfort coilovers. M Adaptive functionality will either have to be coded out or negated with EDC Delete kit from KW.

My previous vehicle - 2013 BMW 335i xDrive sedan - had KW Street Comfort coilovers. Excellent product for xDrive vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 12:47 PM   #3
Momir13
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the post car sits at 70,000 atm they said the other dampeners look fine .

I just remember when reading other posts that most people said you had to witch them out in pairs and I remember quotes being about 2,400$ but this was back when the adaptive struts were still 900 a piece
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 01:08 PM   #4
Kefka
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325i, 135i, 335i e93/92 , Z4 3

and also replace strut mounts...
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 01:17 PM   #5
Momir13
Private First Class
Rep

The b6 are on back order on fcp euro sadly with no eta
... fcp euro has 3 genuine adaptive suspension part numbers ending in 69,70,71 they are all listed as compatible with my car so how would I decide which to get price wise they range from 334 for 69,70 and 394 for the 71 part number

Cheers guys
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 03:31 PM   #6
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momir13 View Post
So I know this has been discussed but I'm having a super hard time finding threads I know I've read before.

I have a 14 335 xdrive with cpo expiring on the 12-9-19 so I took it in to get some noise looked at.

Both of us were incorrect and the tech diagnosed my front left strut as leaking. Replacement quote is 1,3xx and some change.

Now focp euro has one strut priced at 330 and I'm guessing the dealer won't replace just one (I asked and they have yet to respond if the quote was for one or two.... honestly it's taken them 10 days just to diagnose my car if I didn't have a loaner I would've been pissed)

How difficult would this be to replace myself and is there a thread anywhere of how to do it?

Any combo I search about the adaptive suspension usually just leads me to results of people deleting it or what kind of springs they can lower their cars on.

Any insight on how to get this done is greatly appreciated as well as tips/tricks or specialty tools I may need.

I'm diy inclined and my neighbor is an Alfa Romeo tech so we should be able to get it done between the two of us
I have a '15 335i Xdrive that doesn't have adaptive suspension. You and your Alfa tech neighbor could absolutely handle the installation. I suggest getting a complete alignment and headlight alignment afterwards. Check the Kies Motorsports YouTube installation videos to see if he's done an adaptive suspension installation. If not the stock suspension video is almost identical except for the electrical connection.

Definitely swap out both front struts at the same time. I'd definitely go with Bilstein damptronic over OEM adaptive struts. Check with a variety of sources for availability. Few retailers these days stock much of anything. When you order from them, they in turn order from a distributor that stocks in a warehouse. Often if several retailers tell you the same story that they are backordered, it could mean that they are all buying from the same distributor who is out of stock so none can get it. I had that issue when a bunch of Turn14 (distributor) retailers were out of stock. Luckily I thought to call TireRack which is a huge distributor/warehouser unto itself and they had what I needed sitting on their shelf.

You are definitely right to keep the adaptive technology that came with your car. It sounds like you plan to keep your car and want to keep it riding as new. Bilstein makes their adaptive "Damptronic" in the B4 OEM-style line and the B6 heavier duty monotube design line. A quick scan showed the B6 roughly $100/pair more. Unless you are definitely getting rid of the car in 1-2 years I'd spend the extra for the B6 Damptronic over the B4's.

Did a quick lookup for part numbers:
B6 Damptronic Left: 23-266483
B6 Damptronic Right: 23-266490
Rears for now or later:
B6 Damptronic Rear: 20-250744
Just saw B6 Damptronic fronts at several retailers for ~$389/each

With 70k miles on stock springs and the fact that you will be removing springs to replace the front struts so spring labor is free right now- I'd replace the springs now too. It doesn't really make sense to pay for stock springs. A set of Eibach springs right now is only about $247/ set of four. I know that you said you didn't want to lower but the Eibach kit is a mild lowering spring. Front 0.8", rear 0.6". It gets rid of most of that xdrive reverse rake where the front sits higher than the rear. And they work fine with B4/B6 which can handle up to a 40mm (~1.5")drop before a B8 is needed. The Eibachs are only about 10% stiffer than stock so adds a little more control without adding harshness. The other option are Dinan springs which drop 0.75" all around so they maintain reverse rake and they are about 30% stiffer so more noticeable in possibly a negative way. I was very happy with the results with the Eibachs. It improves the ride without looking like you slammed the car at all. Nice improvement!

Eibach part# E10-20-031-06-22, about $247 shipped right now. I attached photos comparing the Eibach springs to the stock springs. You can see the quality difference.

Good luck! Hope this helps!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Momir1340.00
      12-02-2019, 04:36 PM   #7
Momir13
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Quote:

I have a '15 335i Xdrive that doesn't have adaptive suspension. You and your Alfa tech neighbor could absolutely handle the installation. I suggest getting a complete alignment and headlight alignment afterwards. Check the Kies Motorsports YouTube installation videos to see if he's done an adaptive suspension installation. If not the stock suspension video is almost identical except for the electrical connection.

Definitely swap out both front struts at the same time. I'd definitely go with Bilstein damptronic over OEM adaptive struts. Check with a variety of sources for availability. Few retailers these days stock much of anything. When you order from them, they in turn order from a distributor that stocks in a warehouse. Often if several retailers tell you the same story that they are backordered, it could mean that they are all buying from the same distributor who is out of stock so none can get it. I had that issue when a bunch of Turn14 (distributor) retailers were out of stock. Luckily I thought to call TireRack which is a huge distributor/warehouser unto itself and they had what I needed sitting on their shelf.

You are definitely right to keep the adaptive technology that came with your car. It sounds like you plan to keep your car and want to keep it riding as new. Bilstein makes their adaptive "Damptronic" in the B4 OEM-style line and the B6 heavier duty monotube design line. A quick scan showed the B6 roughly $100/pair more. Unless you are definitely getting rid of the car in 1-2 years I'd spend the extra for the B6 Damptronic over the B4's.

Rears for now or later:

With 70k miles on stock springs and the fact that you will be removing springs to replace the front struts so spring labor is free right now- I'd replace the springs now too. It doesn't really make sense to pay for stock springs. A set of Eibach springs right now is only about $247/ set of four. I know that you said you didn't want to lower but the Eibach kit is a mild lowering spring. Front 0.8", rear 0.6". It gets rid of most of that xdrive reverse rake where the front sits higher than the rear. And they work fine with B4/B6 which can handle up to a 40mm (~1.5")drop before a B8 is needed. The Eibachs are only about 10% stiffer than stock so adds a little more control without adding harshness. The other option are Dinan springs which drop 0.75" all around so they maintain reverse rake and they are about 30% stiffer so more noticeable in possibly a negative way. I was very happy with the results with the Eibachs. It improves the ride without looking like you slammed the car at all. Nice improvement!

Eibach part# E10-20-031-06-22, about $247 shipped right now. I attached photos comparing the Eibach springs to the stock springs. You can see the quality difference.

Thanks for that great response man !

So no specialty tools needed other than a compression tool?

I know when working on jettas they had a special set of heads you needed to do anything

Figured bmw might be the same as the differential has two special tools to switch
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 05:15 PM   #8
Momir13
Private First Class
Rep

Scratch that the kiess video explained all the tools the one thing he doesn't mention is the torque specifications does anyone have those by chance???
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 05:40 PM   #9
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Rears for now or later:

I know when working on jettas they had a special set of heads you needed to do anything

Figured bmw might be the same as the differential has two special tools to switch
Watch the Kies Motorsports videos. Bryan is really great at identifying the tools that he is using and including links in the comments section. Many things that I didn't have in my tool box I found cheaply at Harbor Freight or from China (waiting 2-3 weeks). There are a half dozen automotive specialty tool makers as well.

I just flipped through the procedure in my Bentley manual and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. You already mentioned a spring compressor tool. To remove the top strut nut you need BMW special tool 31 2 210 which appears to be a socket with a hole in the side to insert a 6mm Allen wrench. Google that part number. I'm sure you can track one down. Almost looks like an oxygen sensor socket.

I often read guys referring to online BMW detailed installation procedures but I've never needed to explore them because I have my own Bentley manual.

A BMW tech cautioned me to always have a really good alignment done after suspension replacement, including headlight alignment. He said that BMW F30 alignments can be touchy. When they get cars with strange driving symptoms in his shop the troubleshooting often leads them to a messed up alignment which fixes the problem.

In the rear suspension the spring and shock are mounted separately so you may be able to replace the rear springs with Eibachs pretty easily if you don't wish to replace the rear shocks right now.

Good luck!
Appreciate 1
Momir1340.00
      12-02-2019, 06:40 PM   #10
Momir13
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Rears for now or later:

Watch the Kies Motorsports videos. Bryan is really great at identifying the tools that he is using and including links in the comments section. Many things that I didn't have in my tool box I found cheaply at Harbor Freight or from China (waiting 2-3 weeks). There are a half dozen automotive specialty tool makers as well.

I just flipped through the procedure in my Bentley manual and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. You already mentioned a spring compressor tool. To remove the top strut nut you need BMW special tool 31 2 210 which appears to be a socket with a hole in the side to insert a 6mm Allen wrench. Google that part number. I'm sure you can track one down. Almost looks like an oxygen sensor socket.

I often read guys referring to online BMW detailed installation procedures but I've never needed to explore them because I have my own Bentley manual.

A BMW tech cautioned me to always have a really good alignment done after suspension replacement, including headlight alignment. He said that BMW F30 alignments can be touchy. When they get cars with strange driving symptoms in his shop the troubleshooting often leads them to a messed up alignment which fixes the problem.

In the rear suspension the spring and shock are mounted separately so you may be able to replace the rear springs with Eibachs pretty easily if you don't wish to replace the rear shocks right now.

Good luck!
Hey man by chance have the torque specs kiess motor sports did not have those exact numbers just a disclaimer saying torque to spec
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 06:55 PM   #11
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Rears for now or later:

Good luck!
Hey man by chance have the torque specs kiess motor sports did not have those exact numbers just a disclaimer saying torque to spec
Attached are the torque values that I have.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2