F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Mirrors Folding "sometimes"
Studio RSR

03-29-2019, 03:06 PM   #1
reblok
Rep
Drives: 328i

Mirrors Folding "sometimes"

2015 328i newbie.

I have folding mirrors and they work fine manually. But I'm getting a little weirded out by their automatic behavior.

Simply put, they automatically fold sometimes. I can go for months with them doing nothing and then, one day, I will come out of a store and find them folded. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason. And I am certain I am not accidentally pressing the fold button.

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 03:10 PM   #2
kingmonkey8
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i

Quote:
Originally Posted by reblok View Post
2015 328i newbie.

I have folding mirrors and they work fine manually. But I'm getting a little weirded out by their automatic behavior.

Simply put, they automatically fold sometimes. I can go for months with them doing nothing and then, one day, I will come out of a store and find them folded. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason. And I am certain I am not accidentally pressing the fold button.

Any ideas?
If you hold the lock button on your key fob. Do the mirrors fold?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 04:12 PM   #3
skyline408
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 2022 F95 X5M

Quote:
2015 328i newbie.

Any ideas?
this brings me back memories. That's a BMW 'surprise'

often times I would find my E60 M5 mirrors folded and I swore up and down someone was messing with my car. Turns out, it's just a bug.

I haven't seen it on my F34, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did happen.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 07:18 PM   #4
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Their normal behavior is not to automatically fold. Prior owner must have coded them.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 07:30 PM   #5
rlmesq
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmonkey8 View Post
If you hold the lock button on your key fob. Do the mirrors fold?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
Their normal behavior is not to automatically fold. Prior owner must have coded them.
Depends on the country. OP was in California, so the auto-fold would have to be coded. They come that way in the UK, so kingmonkey8 is also correct.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2019, 06:52 AM   #6
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 330ixT

I usually do the comfort access and have to hold it for like 2-3 seconds for the mirrors to fold.

If I just quickly tap comfort access or quickly use the remote, they won't fold.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 10:47 AM   #7
reblok
Rep

Thanks for the replies. Sorry I've been offline.

To respond to the questions:

I've tried to hold the lock button on my fob, but it didn't do anyhting. The best I've been able to figure at this point is, if I leave the car in a parking lot, I sometimes come back to find them folded. I'm wondering whether, once the car is off there is still some kind of sensor which detects something large coming too close - like a car parking right next to me - and folds them.

It's mostly a question of clearing up the mystery. But, as a complete BMW newbie, tex2670 and rlmesq 's comments about coding intrigued me. I would actually prefer if they always folded when I locked the car. Is this one of the things which can be coded? I've been reading about that but haven't taken the plunge.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 11:09 AM   #8
BeerHerder
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335, G01 X3, Victory Vegas

If you have comfort access you can code them to fold after a certain amount of time of holding the spot on your door handle. I have mine set to .5 seconds through Bimmercode.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 11:51 AM   #9
reblok
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerHerder View Post
If you have comfort access you can code them to fold after a certain amount of time of holding the spot on your door handle. I have mine set to .5 seconds through Bimmercode.
Unfortunately, I don't have comfort access. I'm fob dependent. Some have mentioned holding the fob lock a few seconds. That doesn't work at all, so maybe that's where the coding needs to go?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 12:15 PM   #10
BeerHerder
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunately, I don't have comfort access. I'm fob dependent. Some have mentioned holding the fob lock a few seconds. That doesn't work at all, so maybe that's where the coding needs to go?
Ah, sorry, not going to get much help from me, then. Do you have bimmercode? You can download the app and review settings on a mockup of your car before buying. It's not perfect, but it might give you an idea.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 12:22 PM   #11
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

You can do it through the fob too. On mine I can lock and fold the mirrors instantly with the fob, or I can just lock it with the comfort access spot on my door handle. So if I'm at a car show or something and want to lock the car without folding in the mirrors, I can just tap the handle instead of holding it. But I used a cable and the actual esys software, not an app.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 12:30 PM   #12
outofphase
dad bod
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xDrive

Quote:
Download Bimmercode and buy one of the compatible OBDII dongles (listed on their website, I use this one

I don't have comfort access either and I was able to code mine to fold automatically when I lock the door and unfold automatically when I unlock. I also coded off the one-fog-light-on during turn signal option, coded the M logo to my iDrive start screen, coded the sport trans, and a bunch of other stuff. As long as you stay out of the expert mode you'll be fine!

That dongle comes in handy as well because it works with other apps like OBD fusion (great for checking codes and diagnostics, etc).

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 01:21 PM   #13
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. Sorry I've been offline.

To respond to the questions:

I've tried to hold the lock button on my fob, but it didn't do anyhting. The best I've been able to figure at this point is, if I leave the car in a parking lot, I sometimes come back to find them folded. I'm wondering whether, once the car is off there is still some kind of sensor which detects something large coming too close - like a car parking right next to me - and folds them.

It's mostly a question of clearing up the mystery. But, as a complete BMW newbie, tex2670 and rlmesq 's comments about coding intrigued me. I would actually prefer if they always folded when I locked the car. Is this one of the things which can be coded? I've been reading about that but haven't taken the plunge.
There is no sensor to automatically fold the mirrors if a car comes too close. It can be coded. I tried to get the dealer to do it. They won’t do coding.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 01:27 PM   #14
DreamerJoe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M.G. w red interior

Quote:
I thought when coding w/ comfort access the .5, 1, and 1.5 (seconds) is the delay as to how long after you touch the handle, not how long TO touch the handle. right?
      04-29-2019, 01:36 PM   #15
BeerHerder
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerJoe View Post
I thought when coding w/ comfort access the .5, 1, and 1.5 (seconds) is the delay as to how long after you touch the handle, not how long TO touch the handle. right?
That has not been my experience... if I briefly touch the CA button on the handle, my mirrors will not fold. If I hold for .5 seconds, they do close.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 01:41 PM   #16
DreamerJoe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M.G. w red interior

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerJoe View Post
That has not been my experience... if I briefly touch the CA button on the handle, my mirrors will not fold. If I hold for .5 seconds, they do close.
gotcha, maybe its both? maybe you hold for .5 seconds to make them fold, and within the bimmercode app you can also choose the delay, because I swore their was the option for setting it up as a delayed fold @ .5, 1, 1.5 seconds, or instant.
      04-29-2019, 04:13 PM   #17
reblok
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofphase View Post
Download Bimmercode and buy one of the compatible OBDII dongles (listed on their website, I use this one

I don't have comfort access either and I was able to code mine to fold automatically when I lock the door and unfold automatically when I unlock. I also coded off the one-fog-light-on during turn signal option, coded the M logo to my iDrive start screen, coded the sport trans, and a bunch of other stuff. As long as you stay out of the expert mode you'll be fine!

That dongle comes in handy as well because it works with other apps like OBD fusion (great for checking codes and diagnostics, etc).
Thank you! I'll probably give it a try and report.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 07:43 PM   #18
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

It could be that you accidentally pressed on the fold button while opening the door. As for the comfort access function, it's not the best implementation to have to press and hold and wait for them to fold. And it is not coded in some locales or some cars for some reason. On the new x5 I had as a loaner, it folds by default when you lock the car and unfolds when you unlock. No need to press and hold which is the way it should be.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 03:00 AM   #19
reblok
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
It could be that you accidentally pressed on the fold button while opening the door. As for the comfort access function, it's not the best implementation to have to press and hold and wait for them to fold. And it is not coded in some locales or some cars for some reason. On the new x5 I had as a loaner, it folds by default when you lock the car and unfolds when you unlock. No need to press and hold which is the way it should be.
Nope. Definitely did not press the button on the way out. Thought of that the first of the dozen times it's happened Leave the car with them extended, return folded.

Yes, looking at BimmerCode, I can set it like the loaner you had.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 09:57 AM   #20
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Nope. Definitely did not press the button on the way out. Thought of that the first of the dozen times it's happened Leave the car with them extended, return folded.

Yes, looking at BimmerCode, I can set it like the loaner you had.
A friend of mine had it coded but he had to stand there and hold down the button before it started folding. Simultaneous lock and fold is the way it should be by default.
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2019, 12:54 PM   #21
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

You can also set it to zero delay so they always fold or unfold instantly when you lock or unlock.
Appreciate 1
bimmer4562960.50
      05-01-2019, 03:12 PM   #22
reblok
Rep

SOLVED!

Using Bimmercode I saw that the mirror folding on close was not active at all. That's why holding the lock button in did nothing. I re-coded so they would fold when I locked the car and unfold when I unlocked it.

Thanks for all the help guys.
Appreciate 2