F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > *** bootmod3 - MaxCool Mode + N55 Startup Roar - New Features ***
proTUNING Freaks

10-29-2019, 06:08 PM   #23
Ishan99
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishan99 View Post
I've been running it for 2 days now, and today, I got an "Engine Temperature High" error and that I should drive moderately to cool the engine. I checked the oil temp and it was directly between 160 and 250 F. I was told later on by a friend that it has nothing to do with oil temp and that it has to do with coolant. Either way, I received this error today and I never had it before turning max cooling on. I have now turned it off, and I haven't received the message again. Is it just a bug that needs to be patched or is there an actual problem with my car lol.
Can't you monitor your coolant temperature in real time and find out if it is indeed too high?
I suppose I could through the bootmod3 data log but it hasn't shown the error again. I also forgot to mention that I checked theDiagnostic Trouble Codes underdiagnostics in bootmod3, and it did not show anything.
Follow @Black_Lux_Cars on IG
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 11:12 AM   #24
proTUNING Freaks
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: powered by bootmod3

Just a note that we've released a fix for the recent GTS Startup and MaxCool config.

If you've set up and used these features recently, we have an update. Ensure to click on "Download now, Flash later" and reflash the DME. This applies only to those that have used these features AND flashed a given map to the DME. There's no need to delete the map or get a new one again.

Background: some users reported the higher startup rpm running full time after startup instead of just a blip. This fixes it. A few also reported the maxcool was active more often then required, and this fixes that.
Appreciate 1
jmack548.50
      11-05-2019, 02:44 PM   #25
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Opening the thermostat sooner is sufficient to keep the coolant temp down, assuming the cooling system is not already working at maximum capacity with the ambient temp and target temp.

Indeed you are right that the actual cooling is affected by those 4 factors. If the water pump operation is not affected by the change, then that really just leaves the radiator(s) cooling capacity and air flow, be it from driving or the fan. If i understand correctly, not all cars have the auxiliary radiator/water pump (i forget if it was Msport, hot climate, or what). My understanding is also that both water pumps are electric - as far as i know there is no mechanical water pumps on these cars.

Having said that, after running MHDs performance cooling with the lower target, my main radiator fan seems to be running every single time i go to park the car, even when its only about 75F outside. I did not seem to notice this before the flash, even when ambient temps were higher during the summer. These cooling options havent been out long enough to tell if there will be any accelerated wear on the fan, water pump, etc. I assume its probably negligible, especially if you are driving on the highway, but that's just my speculation. As mentioned above, it's not totally necessary to run the lower coolant target all the time anyways; the stock tune/coolant target was optimized for the car from BMW.
Do you know where that auxiliary water pump is located in the engine bay?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 04:59 PM   #26
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
Do you know where that auxiliary water pump is located in the engine bay?
On the M235i, I think it’s behind the driver side lower bumper intake. Could be the same for the F30
Appreciate 1
Polo088161610.00
      02-05-2020, 10:39 AM   #27
DadzBmer_N2o
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 320ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by proTUNING Freaks View Post
Announcing a couple of new bootmod3 features just released

First one is ‘MaxCool mode’ - this will reduce your water coolant targets by 10 degrees Celsius and applies to ALL engines and software (ROM) versions!

Moreover, for the B series engines this enables the intercooler pump to be active at all times to lower intake air temperatures!

We also added GTS startup roar for the N55 EWG and PWG172X!

Use the standard ‘config’ menu on each map to toggle these features on any map including custom, stock and OTS.

Just to show off using this new option, here is my screenshot of my IAT's temps at 5K.
Attached Images

02-05-2020, 01:33 PM   #28
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i, M-Sport, Manual

For the N55 max cooling mode has zero effect on IAT since the N55 uses an air-to-air intercooler, unlike the B series which has a water-to-air intercooler. The cooler IATs you reference are due to a multitude of variables, of which ambient air temp, vehicle speed and load are the most influential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadzBmer_N2o View Post
Just to show off using this new option, here is my screenshot of my IAT's temps at 5K.

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V804s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, AEM WMI, H&R Sport Springs (381 whp, 429 wtq on Cali 91oct before WMI).
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 02:04 PM   #29
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredG_F30 View Post
For the N55 max cooling mode has zero effect on IAT since the N55 uses an air-to-air intercooler, unlike the B series which has a water-to-air intercooler. The cooler IATs you reference are due to a multitude of variables, of which ambient air temp, vehicle speed and load are the most influential.
Yeah, the only small caveat i would add to that is the enhanced cooling modes on MHD and BM3 make the radiator fan run a lot more in my experience, which does seem to keep the IC temp closer to ambient and prevent the IC itself from getting heat soaked when you are not moving quickly (e.g., traffic, low speeds). Probably irrelevant when you are doing spirited driving, on a track, etc.
Appreciate 1
G80S58135.00
      02-06-2020, 04:07 PM   #30
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i, M-Sport, Manual

I could see that

Quote:
Yeah, the only small caveat i would add to that is the enhanced cooling modes on MHD and BM3 make the radiator fan run a lot more in my experience, which does seem to keep the IC temp closer to ambient and prevent the IC itself from getting heat soaked when you are not moving quickly (e.g., traffic, low speeds). Probably irrelevant when you are doing spirited driving, on a track, etc.

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V804s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, AEM WMI, H&R Sport Springs (381 whp, 429 wtq on Cali 91oct before WMI).
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 06:22 PM   #31
DadzBmer_N2o
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 320ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredG_F30 View Post
Really, humm i thought something was funny, i wonder if that is all the N motors. I ended up turning that option off on the config, when i flashed down to 91.