F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Alignment question (negative camber)
GetBMWParts

11-24-2019, 11:18 PM   #1
cesarortiz23
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw m2 lci

Alignment question (negative camber)

Hey you guys quick question

What's the max camber I can run up front on stock suspension

I only have super sport H&r lowering springs

Is it possible to get a little negative camber or is impossible and I need lower control arms and maybe coilovers

I really need an alignment but I been thinking of getting a good alignment for some canyon driving on weekends etc.

I don't mind the tire wear

I've been dealing with that already on all my cars lol
      11-25-2019, 02:45 AM   #2
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

Sub'd. Also would like to hear people's thoughts on overall alignment specs, preferably for stock hardware (+lowering springs). Fairly aggressive daily driver with occasional spirited backroad/canyon drives.
      11-25-2019, 05:16 AM   #3
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Stock suspension gives you ~ 0 camber in front. You have to swap parts to get any camber....

Murf
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 12:10 PM   #4
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

What max camber can you get with OEM suspension ? Only what BMW gives you It's around zero, but you may find there's a slight smoking of neg as standard.

Your options are : adjustable top mounts, or adjustable bushes in the lower suspension arms, or M3/4 lower control arms (but not on xdrive), or aftermarket LCAs.

Coilovers are optional. You can keep your current springs and dampers if you want to.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 2
      11-25-2019, 06:49 PM   #5
cesarortiz23
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw m2 lci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
What max camber can you get with OEM suspension ? Only what BMW gives you It's around zero, but you may find there's a slight smoking of neg as standard.

Your options are : adjustable top mounts, or adjustable bushes in the lower suspension arms, or M3/4 lower control arms (but not on xdrive), or aftermarket LCAs.

Coilovers are optional. You can keep your current springs and dampers if you want to.
dammit ok I guess I'll have to see what's the easiest and cheapest and fastest way to get some good negative camber

I really do want to get coilovers soon but I'll see....
      11-26-2019, 01:36 AM   #6
CrushJelly
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M140i

The cheapest and easiest is not always the best way.

Case in point, the cheapest way is to get polyurethane camber adjustable front lower control arm bushes.

They will fail.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 09:35 AM   #7
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 328i 6MT Sport

If you really want to be able to tune the alignment your only option is adjustable top hats. I suggest taking a look at Millway's offerings, they have a new "street" model which is likely the most NVH conscience option for our chassis.

Thoughts on other options:
F80 LCAs: Firstly, they are the more expensive option to attack camber. I would also suggest doing the Tension Struts alongside them. It's a great mod, but still leaves you with static camber. They will net you an additional -.7* to -1*.

Camber bushings: Cheap part cost but harder install than simply buying the F80 arms with bushings already pressed in. Harder to adjust properly (not many shops want to touch them), many reports of failures and loss of alignment.

Coil-overs: I recommend these but not specifically for camber gain. Improved damping can dramatically improve driving dynamics but in a more nuanced way than camber. The camber gains are very minimal, I gained less than -.5* from my stock m-sport suspension while dropping the ride height considerably.

In a perfect world, camber plates and coil overs is the most comprehensive move. Doing both together can save hundreds in labor/alignment, obviously only with the understanding that you would eventually do both.
328i RWD | MW on CRed Slick Top | 6MT | BM3 | MPE | GPlus FMIC | CSF Radiator | Millway Street Camber Plates & Monoballs | KW V2 6k/18k Swift Springs | F80 LCA/TS | SPL Bump Steer Kit | APEX SM-10 | R-S4 | DS2500 | RBF600 | SS Lines |
Past: E36 328is & E38 740i

Last edited by MacklinUSOB; 11-26-2019 at 09:41 AM..
Appreciate 0