F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > MMR Sport Dampers
Extreme Powerhouse

08-17-2023, 03:55 AM   #1
HM-2
Needs more boost.
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

MMR Sport Dampers

Has anyone got experience of the MMR Sport Dampers?

https://www.mmrperformance.co.uk/mmr...w-3-series-f3x

I'm looking for a damper and spring pairing that keeps OEMish ride height, but helps address some of the crashiness from the standard suspension.

Things I've considered so far:
  • Ohlins Road and Track- probably the best option but phenomenally expensive
  • Birds Kit- also pretty spendy but well regarded
  • Koni Active Reds- had good experiences with FSDs on VAG cars in the past

The MMRs look to be similar to Birds in that they're a custom valved Bilstein shock designed for UK roads that pairs with an OE height spring, which is basically exactly what I'm looking for, but keen to know if anyone here has used them.
danb19791897.00
      08-17-2023, 12:18 PM   #2
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

i've never heard of mmr. bilstein dampers are too firm and recently have more than a few negative reports. imo ohlins does not fit what your are seeking as they are firm, track focused, expensive and expensive to rebuild.

if you do a search here you'll find these suspension products with the most positive reviews in regards to what you are seeking.

1) oem m-sport springs with koni special active

2) eibach pro-kit springs(slight lowering) with koni special active, shorter bumpstops(F80, Dinan equivalent, or cut yourself)

3) oem m-performance suspension, 10mm lower than m-sport(springs), firmer but more performance focused. comes with strutmounts, bump stops, spring seats, dust caps, nuts/bolts. slightly pricey since it is bmw oem. buy once cry once

4) KW Comfort coilovers
Attached Images

Last edited by alohasurftoad; 08-17-2023 at 12:36 PM..
Appreciate 2
cfm56d7b5886.00
      08-17-2023, 10:35 PM   #3
E90lova
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 335xdrive

Actually BIlstein B14 aren't too stiff at all. I am selling mine because they aren't track stiff enough for me. I love them on the street.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 06:32 AM   #4
HM-2
Needs more boost.
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Thanks - I'd seen some recent reports about issues with Billies and know that the B series lean towards the firmer side, which is why I was specifically interested in experiences with the MMR ones as they appear to run custom valving (similar to Birds). I've sent an email over to try and get a bit more information on them.

Active reds on OE spec springs was very much my first choice for an upgrade that keeps stockish ride height but fixes the dynamic issues. Glad to see this is a well regarded option.
      08-18-2023, 10:14 AM   #5
rlesko
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Garage List
2012 335i  [0.00]
I’m curious about these MMR dampers now that you’ve linked them.

Website says 10% stiffer than stock. Alludes to some technology that provides dynamic damping based on a dual tube design with nitrogen gas. I’m interested. Any damper experts out there can compare it to Koni FSD tech?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2023, 05:27 AM   #6
danb1979
Idiotic lifter of heavy stones...
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 325D M Sport touring

Just to add into this I'm probably going to go for the Bilstein B16s on my F31 here in the UK

Having spoken to a few folk now, more so that live local'ish to me where our country and town roads are shocking at best; they've no issues at all. As firm as the OEM M Sport suspension; but don't have the bounciness and obviously handing is improved, a lot

There are negative stories re the B14s and B16s; but that's just it. You only ever hear the bad stuff... There's hell of a lot more good reports about them if you actually speak to folk that have them fitted

I have considered Koni shocks, Eibach pro kit springs etc; but they're fixed ride height and I'd rather delete the OEM rake that the BMW comes with; I'll not be able to do that with shocks/springs etc

I don't want to lower a lot; but I do want to close the wheel/arch gap my F31 has; more so at the front!

@HM-2 - Personally; if you don't want to go coilovers route and have the budget for the Birds set up; deffo stick with them
      08-24-2023, 08:48 AM   #7
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post
i've never heard of mmr. bilstein dampers are too firm and recently have more than a few negative reports. imo ohlins does not fit what your are seeking as they are firm, track focused, expensive and expensive to rebuild.

if you do a search here you'll find these suspension products with the most positive reviews in regards to what you are seeking.

1) oem m-sport springs with koni special active

2) eibach pro-kit springs(slight lowering) with koni special active, shorter bumpstops(F80, Dinan equivalent, or cut yourself)

3) oem m-performance suspension, 10mm lower than m-sport(springs), firmer but more performance focused. comes with strutmounts, bump stops, spring seats, dust caps, nuts/bolts. slightly pricey since it is bmw oem. buy once cry once

4) KW Comfort coilovers
THE summary of the year ... no need for nominations.
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2023, 10:22 AM   #8
rlesko
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Garage List
2012 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HM-2 View Post
I was specifically interested in experiences with the MMR ones as they appear to run custom valving (similar to Birds). I've sent an email over to try and get a bit more information on them.
I also reached out to MMR for additional information- got a response acknowledging my inquiry but thats it. What about you?
Appreciate 0