F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Any EIBACH SPRINGS on F30 335i X-DRIVE?
Studio RSR

08-04-2022, 08:32 AM   #221
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby86 View Post
I am considering the -05 springs for my 328i xdrive with M adaptive suspension. Has anyone had an issue with this combination of spring/shock/awd/4 cylinder weight (lack of)?
Why do you want to use the -05 spring kit? What are your expectations?

Note: Data below comes from the Eibach European catalog and my previous phone conversations with Eibach Tech Support. See photos.

Your 328ix calls for the
E10-20-031-04-22 spring kit
with an estimated drop of F20mm/R15mm.
It uses the Front F11-20-031-02-VA spring with a 13.0mm diameter, 247mm length, 4.5 coils

The E10-20-031-05-22 spring kit for the heavier 6-cylinder 335ix has an estimated drop of F35mm/R15mm (F1.37"/R0.6") (according to Eibach Tech Support) with the heavier engine.
It uses the Front spring F11-20-030-03-VA with a 13.2mm wire diameter, 235mm length, 4.5 coils. It's spring rate is 194 lbs/in.

Note: Both kits use the same rear spring which has a 0.6mm drop and 542 lbs/in spring rate. This makes sense because the rears of the car are almost identical. The big difference is the engine weight in the front.

So you are speculating on using a front spring that is 12mm shorter than the spring that is intended to drop your car 15mm. But you can't say that it will drop your front by 27mm, (1.06") because at the same time that the spring is shorter, it also uses a heavier 13.2mm wire diameter vs 13.0mm in the spring intended for your car.

I suggest that you call Eibach Tech Support. (Phone# and hours in photos) They have been helpful to me. Phrase your questions this way below, to keep the conversation focused on achieving your answers:

I have a BMW 328i XDrive with Adaptive/EDC dampers. The Eibach catalog calls for Front spring F11-20-031-02-VA with an estimated drop of 20mm.

1) What is the spring rate of that spring?
(See how close it is to the 194 lbs/in spring rate that you are considering. This could effect the ride.)

2) If I install a different spring kit that has the Front spring F11-20-030-03-VA, then how would the drop differ than if I had installed the first spring?

Make sure to point out that the second spring (-030-03-VA) is 12mm shorter (235mm vs 247mm) but it also uses a thicker wire (13.2mm vs 13.0mm) What is the drop difference between the two front springs?

Note: I found that asking the questions this way will get to a useable answer, rather than saying "this is the car that I have, so what will my drop be if I use this spring on it". That just complicates the calculations for them and is more likely to get you an incorrect answer.

Eibach has already done the engineering to specify a certain spring for your car and to estimate its drop. So all you want them to do is compare that spring to another spring, and tell you what the drop difference will be, assuming everything else is equal- no other variable changes.

Please let us know what Eibach says. Hope this helps!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      08-04-2022, 10:53 AM   #222
Kirby86
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Why do you want to use the -05 spring kit? What are your expectations?

Note: Data below comes from the Eibach European catalog and my previous phone conversations with Eibach Tech Support. See photos.

Your 328ix calls for the
E10-20-031-04-22 spring kit
with an estimated drop of F20mm/R15mm.
It uses the Front F11-20-031-02-VA spring with a 13.0mm diameter, 247mm length, 4.5 coils

The E10-20-031-05-22 spring kit for the heavier 6-cylinder 335ix has an estimated drop of F35mm/R15mm (F1.37"/R0.6") (according to Eibach Tech Support) with the heavier engine.
It uses the Front spring F11-20-030-03-VA with a 13.2mm wire diameter, 235mm length, 4.5 coils. It's spring rate is 194 lbs/in.

Note: Both kits use the same rear spring which has a 0.6mm drop and 542 lbs/in spring rate. This makes sense because the rears of the car are almost identical. The big difference is the engine weight in the front.

So you are speculating on using a front spring that is 12mm shorter than the spring that is intended to drop your car 15mm. But you can't say that it will drop your front by 27mm, (1.06") because at the same time that the spring is shorter, it also uses a heavier 13.2mm wire diameter vs 13.0mm in the spring intended for your car.

I suggest that you call Eibach Tech Support. (Phone# and hours in photos) They have been helpful to me. Phrase your questions this way below, to keep the conversation focused on achieving your answers:

I have a BMW 328i XDrive with Adaptive/EDC dampers. The Eibach catalog calls for Front spring F11-20-031-02-VA with an estimated drop of 20mm.

1) [...]
The member "xpro" on page 5 of this thread originally goes with -05 springs on his 335d xdrive before eventually replacing them with -06 springs. Personally I find the way his car sat on the -05 springs to be perfect.

So... I guess my expectations are hopefully that I achieve the exact same stance, front and rear, with my 328i xdrive M Sport with Adaptive Suspension that "xpro" had with his -05 springs on his 335d xdrive.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2022, 12:53 PM   #223
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Blank

Okay, so you are trying to duplicate the drop that you see in the photo that he posted on page 5.

I read through page 5 and I'm not certain about what the suspension configuration is in that photo. It's not clear whether he has an F30 335ix or an F30 335dx. He also mentions swapping the dampers out at some point for Bilstein's. It's not clear if the car in the photo has stock dampers or Bilstein's.

Note: Bilstein's themselves can raise the chassis height. See FaRKle! 's video.

IF he definitely has an F30 335dx, then the Eibach -05 spring kit is actually the correct kit specified for his car. (See photo) And it is estimated by Eibach that his drop would be front 20mm/Rear 15mm.

SO, if his car in the photo is a diesel on stock dampers, then if you install the Eibach -04 spring kit specified then according to Eibach then you should get the same F20mm/R15mm drop on your 328ix.

It's a different story if his car in the photo is an F30 335ix because on stock dampers the -05 kit should drop him F35mm/R15mm. If that's the case then call Eibach and ask the questions that I posted earlier.

Whether or not the car in the photo has Bilstein's installed is a wildcard. Watch the video to understand that.
Appreciate 2
      08-05-2022, 12:11 PM   #224
Kirby86
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Okay, so you are trying to duplicate the drop that you see in the photo that he posted on page 5.

I read through page 5 and I'm not certain about what the suspension configuration is in that photo. It's not clear whether he has an F30 335ix or an F30 335dx. He also mentions swapping the dampers out at some point for Bilstein's. It's not clear if the car in the photo has stock dampers or Bilstein's.

https://youtu.be/IlppKcxGWzA

IF he definitely has an F30 335dx, then the Eibach -05 spring kit is actually the correct kit specified for his car. (See photo) And it is estimated by Eibach that his drop would be front 20mm/Rear 15mm.

SO, if his car in the photo is a diesel on stock dampers, then if you install the Eibach -04 spring kit specified then according to Eibach then you should get the same F20mm/R15mm drop on your 328ix.

It's a different story if his car in the photo is an F30 335ix because on stock dampers the -05 kit should drop him F35mm/R15mm. If that's the case then call Eibach and ask the questions that I posted earlier.

Whether or not the car in the photo has Bilstein's installed is a wildcard. Watch the video to understand that.
Ok, thanks for your help! I really appreciate the expertise. I think I will most likely go with the -04 springs since they are specifically formulated for the weight of my 4 cylinder enigne.

I also think you, FaRKle and alohasurftoad could probably open a custom suspension/tire shop for later model BMWs with all of your combined knowledge!
Appreciate 2
johnung4528.00
      08-05-2022, 02:34 PM   #225
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

https://youtu.be/IlppKcxGWzA

Ok, thanks for your help! I really appreciate the expertise. I think I will most likely go with the -04 springs since they are specifically formulated for the weight of my 4 cylinder enigne.

I also think you, FaRKle and alohasurftoad could probably open a custom suspension/tire shop for later model BMWs with all of your combined knowledge!
Thanks for the kind words! Would be tough to do since we are in Hawaii, California and New Jersey. I glean a ton of information from FaRKle! and alohasurftoad, but maybe they would let me hang around this shop you proposed to sweep up and restock the beverages in the fridge.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2023, 12:30 PM   #226
oChaos Nine
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 328i xDrive

Quote:

Did you ever buy/install the -04 springs? If so, have any pics? I’ve recently purchased an F30 328i xDrive and have read this thread thoroughly and have came to the conclusion that this kit is probably what I’ll end up getting.
Appreciate 1
johnung4528.00
      01-05-2023, 12:43 PM   #227
Kirby86
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oChaos Nine View Post
Did you ever buy/install the -04 springs? If so, have any pics? I’ve recently purchased an F30 328i xDrive and have read this thread thoroughly and have came to the conclusion that this kit is probably what I’ll end up getting.
I saved up and bought BC Coilovers back during "black friday" and save about $150. I have adaptive suspension so I bought a KW EDC kit. My wheels are 20x9 ET35 and tires are 245/35. I figured because the fitment was really tight that I wanted to get everything just right the first time. I also dont want the front fender gap looking any taller than the rear (even if it's only a few MM).
All of this stuff is sitting in my storage for another 3 months or so. Until the snow melts.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2023, 04:51 PM   #228
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_tdot View Post
Lowered my xdrive on eibach's last week.

I used the RWD version though - part no. E10-20-031-02-22
I have a brand new set of these for sale in the members suspension forum if anyone is interested.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2023, 12:12 PM   #229
aimsss
Rep
Drives: bmw f32 420Xd

mark_tdot
is it a 19 or 20inch wheels? what tyres are there?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 07:15 AM   #230
Operator Mo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Now: 2014 335i X-Drive

Quote:
Mason is a great guy. Very helpful!
Glad you are enjoying your new suspension.

If you are looking for an amazing mod that will get rid of that vague F3x steering, swap out your XDrive Upper Control Arms for these. Huge transformation!

https://www.kiesmotorsports.com/prod...f&_ss=r?aff=22
Hello Johnung:

I went ahead and ordered the VAC monoball control arms, upper and lower. Looking forward to trying them out.

I absolutely love the Eibach / Koni setup. Could not be happier with the results.

Cheers,
Mo
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2023, 07:26 AM   #231
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Operator Mo View Post
Hello Johnung:

I went ahead and ordered the VAC monoball control arms, upper and lower. Looking forward to trying them out.

I absolutely love the Eibach / Koni setup. Could not be happier with the results.

Cheers,
Mo
Glad to hear that you like the Koni/Eibach setup. Please keep us posted about your experience with the control arms. It’s easily one of the Top5 mods that I’ve done to my F3x.
John
Appreciate 1
      07-17-2023, 12:44 AM   #232
Operator Mo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Now: 2014 335i X-Drive

Quote:
Glad to hear that you like the Koni/Eibach setup. Please keep us posted about your experience with the control arms. It’s easily one of the Top5 mods that I’ve done to my F3x.
John
johnung - I absolutely love the VAC monoballs. Truely a transformative mod for the F30 xdrive.

These combined with the Eibach / Koni Special Active setup transformed the xdrive from floaty Buick to proper German sedan.

Thanks for sharing your experience with both, much appreciated.
Appreciate 2
johnung4528.00
      07-17-2023, 07:28 AM   #233
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Operator Mo View Post
johnung - I absolutely love the VAC monoballs. Truely a transformative mod for the F30 xdrive.

These combined with the Eibach / Koni Special Active setup transformed the xdrive from floaty Buick to proper German sedan.

Thanks for sharing your experience with both, much appreciated.
Thanks for your followup posting. Very happy to hear that you like the results. It is amazing how the right combination of components can transform a car so much. Now that I have my car modded the way that I like, driving anything else isn’t even close.
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2023, 01:27 PM   #234
Duck360198
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F30 340i Laguna Seca Blue

This thread has been a huge help when I was making decision on what to do with my daily. Both johnung and alohasurftoad had great input. Here are my specs:

- Car: 2018 340i xDrive M Performance Edition (Daily Driver)
- Tire Sizes: 235/40/19 (F) 265/35/19 (R)
- Suspension: Eibach Pro-Kit Euro Springs (Part #E10-20-031-05-22) w/ OEM F80 bump stops.

I have only been on this setup for about 500 miles now. The car feels soooo much better from stock. I enjoy the car so much more compared to the stock configuration. I don't feel like I've given up anything in terms of performance whatever. I have had zero clearance issues on my daily drives.

Admittedly, I do wish it was about 1/2" lower strictly from an appearance standpoint. Feels like there's still a bit of fender gap, even though the car still looks lowered compared to stock. I don't want slammed, but I suppose this could be considered OEM+. I didn't take before and after measurements but I feel like RWD springs probably would have been great, but in the end I simply didn't want to compromise too much as I do feel an extra 1/2" would start to give me some clearance issues on Ohio roads.

Sorry for the crap photos, but here are some before and after shots:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2023, 02:33 PM   #235
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck360198 View Post
This thread has been a huge help when I was making decision on what to do with my daily. Both johnung and alohasurftoad had great input. Here are my specs:

- Car: 2018 340i xDrive M Performance Edition (Daily Driver)
- Tire Sizes: 235/40/19 (F) 265/35/19 (R)
- Suspension: Eibach Pro-Kit Euro Springs (Part #E10-20-031-05-22) w/ OEM F80 bump stops.

I have only been on this setup for about 500 miles now. The car feels soooo much better from stock. I enjoy the car so much more compared to the stock configuration. I don't feel like I've given up anything in terms of performance whatever. I have had zero clearance issues on my daily drives.

Admittedly, I do wish it was about 1/2" lower strictly from an appearance standpoint. Feels like there's still a bit of fender gap, even though the car still looks lowered compared to stock. I don't want slammed, but I suppose this could be considered OEM+. I didn't take before and after measurements but I feel like RWD springs probably would have been great, but in the end I simply didn't want to compromise too much as I do feel an extra 1/2" would start to give me some clearance issues on Ohio roads.

Sorry for the crap photos, but here are some before and after [...]
Thanks for the kind words. That Alohasurftoad is definitely a genius. He helped me to choose my square setup and to tweak the look of it with spacers.

I recently switched from the Eibach -06 to the -05 kit. So the drops on my F30 335i XDrive are now F1.4”/R0.6”. The F/R chassis height measurements are almost identical, with the front being a little less. This means that the F/R tire/fender gaps are essentially equal. (Chassis height tape measurement from center point of wheel logo straight up to fender lip.)

The square 255/40-18 MPS4S over APEX 18x8.5 ET40 VS-5RS looked great as is. But doing a fine tuning measurement and adding Front 3mm and Rear 5mm spacers, brought out the tire sidewalls to be perfectly flush with the fender lips. The effective offsets are now Front ET37, Rear ET35. It was such a tiny change but combined with the oval profile shape of the MPS4S, it appeared to visually reduce the tire/fender gap even more. See photos.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      08-25-2023, 04:21 PM   #236
rlesko
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Garage List
2012 335i  [0.00]
I'm seeing some conflicting information on RWD, wondering if anyone can chime in. For the E10-20-031-02-22 set the american website says 1.4" front / 1.6" rear drop. Unless I'm missing something, this is like 35-40 mm drop. However, if you look up the part number in the catalogue, it states 20-25 mm drop for front and rear. Can anyone with RWD advise? I'd love 20-25 mm, but 35-40mm would be far too much.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2023, 10:29 AM   #237
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlesko View Post
I'm seeing some conflicting information on RWD, wondering if anyone can chime in. For the E10-20-031-02-22 set the american website says 1.4" front / 1.6" rear drop. Unless I'm missing something, this is like 35-40 mm drop. However, if you look up the part number in the catalogue, it states 20-25 mm drop for front and rear. Can anyone with RWD advise? I'd love 20-25 mm, but 35-40mm would be far too much.
Which year and model of RWD do you have?

When Eibach estimates a drop for a spring kit it is always when that kit is installed on a specific yr/model/engine/etc.
I always use the German Eibach catalog because it contains additional information, but it’s important to understand which information applies to the vehicle in question.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2023, 11:30 AM   #238
rlesko
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2012 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Which year and model of RWD do you have?

When Eibach estimates a drop for a spring kit it is always when that kit is installed on a specific yr/model/engine/etc.
I always use the German Eibach catalog because it contains additional information, but it’s important to understand which information applies to the vehicle in question.
Its a 2012 335i (yes, its an F series). So for E10-20-031-01-22 the catalog says

Pro-Kit
Parts state:
Normal
Observe service information,
EG type approval number from: e1*2007/46*0314*05,
Fitting Position: Front Axle,
Lowering ca.: 20-25 mm,
Fitting Position: Rear Axle,
Lowering ca.: 20-25 mm

with General Certification (ABE),
Axle Load front axle to: 1020 kg,
Axle Load rear axle to: 1255 kg,
for vehicles without leveling control

and the website listed a lot larger drop -
https://eibach.com/product/E10-20-031-02-22?epsid=1940
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2023, 11:43 AM   #239
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlesko View Post
Its a 2012 335i (yes, its an F series). So the catalog says

Pro-Kit
Parts state:
Normal
Observe service information,
EG type approval number from: e1*2007/46*0314*05,
Fitting Position: Front Axle,

Lowering ca.: 20-25 mm,

Fitting Position: Rear Axle,

Lowering ca.: 20-25 mm
with General Certification (ABE),
Axle Load front axle to: 1020 kg,
Axle Load rear axle to: 1255 kg,
for vehicles without leveling control

and the website listed a lot larger drop -
https://eibach.com/product/E10-20-031-02-22?epsid=1940
Looks like whomever loaded data into the Eibach US website used the wrong information. 40mm is the drop listed for the Eibach Red Sportline kit.

Eibach European catalog also says 20mm-25mm. See photo.

Just call Eibach US tech support to verify. Ive found them very helpful.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
rlesko232.50
      08-26-2023, 11:56 AM   #240
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

https://www.eibachshop.com/index.php...ibach-products

eibachshop comes up with two kits 1-22 or 2-22. 965kg front axle or 1020kg front axle respectively
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2023, 12:00 PM   #241
rlesko
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2012 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post
https://www.eibachshop.com/index.php...ibach-products

eibachshop comes up with two kits 1-22 or 2-22. 965kg front axle or 1020kg front axle respectively
Yea, the other kit for cars with a N20/N26 engine I believe, not N55
Appreciate 1