F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Any EIBACH SPRINGS on F30 335i X-DRIVE?
Extreme Powerhouse

03-18-2020, 11:28 PM   #111
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genericf30 View Post
Looking at dropping my 15 335i xdrive and from the pictures I prefer the E10-20-031-02-22 drop more. I do not want to sacrifice too much in ride quality and want to keep it as comfortable as possible.

What shocks/struts are folks pairing up with this rwd drop to make it comfortable? From the thread it sounds like the Koni FSD is not made for the rwd drop and the b8/b6 sound like they are stiff?

Are there any folks with the E10-20-031-02-22 non edc that can give me feedback on how their cars rode after the drop and what shocks/struts they used? Thanks!
You are correct! Koni Special Actives can only handle about a 3/4" drop. Same for Bilstein B6. So both Koni Yellow Sport Shocks and Bilstein B8's are options if you are going with the -02 Eibachs which are a big drop on an F3x xDrive.

They both are designed with internal piston travel meant for lowered springs. Since ride quality/comfort are priorities the Koni Yellows should be perfect since they are adjustable for comfort, right while on the car. B8's have only the fixed factory setting.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2020, 10:41 PM   #112
Genericf30
Rep
Drives: 335i

Thanks anyone have Koni Yellows with E10-20-031-02-22 that can provide feedback on the comfort? I assume this is a common setup?

I went out to look at some pricing online for both the springs and koni yellows and it seems to be around the 1k range which was higher than I thought. That seems to be around same cost of the BC Racing coilover so wondering which setup is better in terms of comfort?

I don't know much about the BC Racing coilovers and the reviews for it seem all over the place. It seems to have adjustable dampers similar to the koni yellows, not sure how the springs compare to the eibachs and the advantage is the ability raising and lowering of the car. Anyone know how these would compare?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 04:53 AM   #113
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genericf30 View Post
Thanks anyone have Koni Yellows with E10-20-031-02-22 that can provide feedback on the comfort? I assume this is a common setup?

I went out to look at some pricing online for both the springs and koni yellows and it seems to be around the 1k range which was higher than I thought. That seems to be around same cost of the BC Racing coilover so wondering which setup is better in terms of comfort?

I don't know much about the BC Racing coilovers and the reviews for it seem all over the place. It seems to have adjustable dampers similar to the koni yellows, not sure how the springs compare to the eibachs and the advantage is the ability raising and lowering of the car. Anyone know how these would compare?
I have no experience with the coilovers. Anecdotal reading I've done suggests that they wouldn't be as comfortable as the Koni Yellow setup.
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2020, 03:16 PM   #114
Askadry
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335i 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali820 View Post
Here it is with the new Eibach springs and Akebono pads installed. Took a lot longer than expected, but learned a lot about my car.

Glad I went with the RWD 2-22 set vs the ACS or x drive 5/6-22.

Waiting for a chance to test it out. Initial impressions is it's definitely a lot firmer than x drive OEM! (I kept the M adaptive shocks and struts) Now it looks and feels more go-kart like.

I was really surprised the Akebonos started biting right away, no break in runs required like other pads I've had in the past. Feel is very good as well, at least as good as stock when cold. Zero noise. Time will tell how much dust they'll throw off.
you car looks great and the stance too.....what wheels are those?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 11:57 PM   #115
ali820
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 335i MPE 6sp Suzuka Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askadry View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali820 View Post
Here it is with the new Eibach springs and Akebono pads installed. Took a lot longer than expected, but learned a lot about my car.

Glad I went with the RWD 2-22 set vs the ACS or x drive 5/6-22.

Waiting for a chance to test it out. Initial impressions is it's definitely a lot firmer than x drive OEM! (I kept the M adaptive shocks and struts) Now it looks and feels more go-kart like.

I was really surprised the Akebonos started biting right away, no break in runs required like other pads I've had in the past. Feel is very good as well, at least as good as stock when cold. Zero noise. Time will tell how much dust they'll throw off.
you car looks great and the stance too.....what wheels are those?
Thanks. They're Vorsteiner VFF107 19".
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 02:17 PM   #116
jadis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335xi

I am considering the Eibach E10-20-031-06-22 spring set and the Bilstein B8s. I have a 335x drive and the drop is about what I want.

Do I need to replace the bump stops too? I see Dinan makes bump stops, should I use those?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 02:44 PM   #117
F30JTO
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i xdrive

jadis I am about to lower my car as well and would like to know if I should replace the bumpstops too?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 03:14 PM   #118
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

matching dampers and spring rates is the essence of a damper/spring setup. in general...bilstein, stiffer, less compliant but handles certain frequencies better than koni. koni is more compliant on the street and handles some frequencies better than bilstein.

since koni yellow sport has a better ride on the street and adjustable rebound, i would do koni yellow sport over bilstein. the other reason i'd do koni is because bilstein uses internal bumpstops and after reading through many threads and post about it, i prefer typical damper design.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...8&postcount=26
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...uss+bump+stops

Koni and Eibach also work together offering damper/spring combos.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 03:24 PM   #119
jadis
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the reply. So do I not need new bump stops if I went with the Koni/Eibach setup?

Is this the setup you recommend?

https://www.tirerack.com/suspension/...After+3%2F2014
Appreciate 1
      09-09-2020, 04:08 PM   #120
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadis View Post
Thanks for the reply. So do I not need new bump stops if I went with the Koni/Eibach setup? Is this the setup you recommend?
https://www.tirerack.com/suspension/...After+3%2F2014
you NEED bumpstops with Koni, either oem or aftermarket.

eibach has two different spring options. 5-22 is lower than 6-22. the tirerack link is koni yellow sport with eibach 6-22, not real low but reduces the wheel gap to more than acceptable.

that tirerack setup is what i'd get for myself*, however tbh, i think you should read through more threads, posts and obtain more opinions and information, so you can be sure that setup is what YOU want and not what I (or others) want or like.

*fwiw, i have a M-Performance suspension but frequent and have some knowledge in some of the various sub-forums.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 12:45 PM   #121
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I am considering the Eibach E10-20-031-06-22 spring set and the Bilstein B8s. I have a 335x drive and the drop is about what I want.

Do I need to replace the bump stops too? I see Dinan makes bump stops, should I use those?
I don't believe that Dinan actually makes bump stops. What they do is take an entire selection of BMW made bump stops for various cars. When you lower a car Dinan sells you a slightly smaller bump stop from another BMW at premium price because they knew which part number to buy and you didn't.

I've got the same car and same springs. If yours is a daily driver, you may want to avoid the B8's which will be a lot stiffer. I got Koni Special Actives. They have technology developed with McLaren. It works with two frequency valves so it's a sport shock on curves and a comfort shock on rough roads. It really works as advertised. Perfect with those Eibach springs. Koni tested the combination on an xDrive and you just reuse your stock bumpstops.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-10-2020, 01:41 PM   #122
jadis
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
I don't believe that Dinan actually makes bump stops. What they do is take an entire selection of BMW made bump stops for various cars. When you lower a car Dinan sells you a slightly smaller bump stop from another BMW at premium price because they knew which part number to buy and you didn't.

I've got the same car and same springs. If yours is a daily driver, you may want to avoid the B8's which will be a lot stiffer. I got Koni Special Actives. They have technology developed with McLaren. It works with two frequency valves so it's a sport shock on curves and a comfort shock on rough roads. It really works as advertised. Perfect with those Eibach springs. Koni tested the combination on an xDrive and you just reuse your stock bumpstops.
Oh boy, I just ordered the Koni Sports and Eibachs. I have done a lot of research and i dont want a huge drop but I want some comfort and I will track the car, so I was hoping the Koni sports would be the ticket. Am I going to be uncomfortable with the Koni Sports? Will the Actives be able to track well? Yes, I want best of both worlds, but I also really dont want a car that is smashing down the road and jarring either. Will take comfort over that.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 03:24 PM   #123
rcaso26
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xdrive

Quote:

I installed a set of the "dinan" shortened bump stops on my Koni Special Active and Eibach Pro Kit setup and it fixed the bottoming out problem I was having. The "dinan" bump stops are nothing but marked up OEM bump stops from older vehicles.

The part numbers are:

Front: 31331138814
Rear: 33536762722
Appreciate 2
      09-10-2020, 04:00 PM   #124
jadis
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcaso26 View Post
I installed a set of the "dinan" shortened bump stops on my Koni Special Active and Eibach Pro Kit setup and it fixed the bottoming out problem I was having. The "dinan" bump stops are nothing but marked up OEM bump stops from older vehicles.

The part numbers are:

Thanks for the info! I am worried I made a mistake getting the Koni Yellow Sports vs the Koni Special Active. Anyone have input on this one? I did get the higher Eibach springs 06-22s.
Appreciate 1
rcaso26331.00
      09-10-2020, 04:32 PM   #125
Torquey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i GT | 550i 6MT

Quote:
Thanks for the info! I am worried I made a mistake getting the Koni Yellow Sports vs the Koni Special Active. Anyone have input on this one? I did get the higher Eibach springs 06-22s.
This gives you a pretty basic comparison between Koni Yellows and SAs, although doesn't seem to mention which setting the Yellows were adjusted to.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=293
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 06:19 PM   #126
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
From Koni website...

What is the difference between KONI Special (red) and KONI Sport (yellow)?

The KONI Special (red) has been engineered to maximize the ride comfort with good handling performance for each vehicle application. The KONI Sport (yellow) typically starts at a higher initial valving baseline to give a sportier feel and work on vehicles with higher performance parts. In some instances, KONI will only offer a Special or Sport valving and not both. Some modern cars come from the factory with higher tech suspension systems and wheel/tire packages so they would move directly into the Sport range, however they are still valved to give a comfortable ride with very good handling capabilities.

i knew about the Koni SA but suggested the Yellow because you mentioned tracking and were initially getting Bilstein which is stiffer than Koni. in retrospect i should've suggested both Koni options and let you decide what was best for you. fwiw, i think you'll be fine. this thread has good info on both...https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1662711

Last edited by alohasurftoad; 09-10-2020 at 06:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 07:48 PM   #127
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post
Quote:
From Koni website...

What is the difference between KONI Special (red) and KONI Sport (yellow)?

The KONI Special (red) has been engineered to maximize the ride comfort with good handling performance for each vehicle application. The KONI Sport (yellow) typically starts at a higher initial valving baseline to give a sportier feel and work on vehicles with higher performance parts. In some instances, KONI will only offer a Special or Sport valving and not both. Some modern cars come from the factory with higher tech suspension systems and wheel/tire packages so they would move directly into the Sport range, however they are still valved to give a comfortable ride with very good handling capabilities.

i knew about the Koni SA but suggested the Yellow because you mentioned tracking and were initially getting Bilstein which is stiffer than Koni. in retrospect i should've suggested both Koni options and let you decide what was best for you. fwiw, i think you'll be fine. this thread has good info on both...https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1662711
Koni Yellow was definitely the correct recommendation if tracking is intended. Koni Special Actives are probably a better way to go if the emphasis is on daily driving.

All this assumes that the lowering springs are mild (<1") like the -06 Eibachs being discussed. The Koni Special Actives aren't designed to lower more that that. As soon, as someone says that they want a bigger drop such as H&R, then Yellows are the Koni option, and B8's from Bilstein. I prefer Yellows because they are adjustable while B8's are not.

Farkle! actually did some great comparison posts using data actually provided by Koni. The conclusion was that there is a lot of overlap between SA's and Yellows, with the SA's having more capacity into the comfort range and Yellows more range into the sport area.

Of course, springs and shocks are only some of the components involved in the suspension. A track-oriented guy would assume that my car with Koni Special Actives and mild Eibach springs wouldn't perform. But I purposely chose them because I didn't want a teeth rattling track car as a daily or when I drove it on trips.

But my car would surprise a track guy because it also has H&R sway bars, a Weicher strut brace, VAC Monoball Thrust Arms, wider 245/40-18 Michelin PS4S tires (courtesy of a Hawaiian surfer dude) and M Performance Brakes with StopTech Crossdrilled free floating rotors and Hawk 5.0 pads (incredible bite combination).

A couple of my tracking friends have driven my car on the street and told me that they were amazed. It's all about matching the components for the driver's goals.
Appreciate 2
      09-10-2020, 07:55 PM   #128
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

The part numbers are:

Thanks for the part numbers. I'm curious what your setup was that you were bottoming out? I haven't experienced any bottoming.

I've got a 2015 335i xDrive with Koni Special Actives and the mild drop -06 Eibachs. (Drops F0.8"/R0.6")

I kept the stock bump stops based on recommendations from Koni North America tech support. Wondering what the difference is that you were bottoming?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 08:00 PM   #129
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Oh boy, I just ordered the Koni Sports and Eibachs. I have done a lot of research and i dont want a huge drop but I want some comfort and I will track the car, so I was hoping the Koni sports would be the ticket. Am I going to be uncomfortable with the Koni Sports? Will the Actives be able to track well? Yes, I want best of both worlds, but I also really dont want a car that is smashing down the road and jarring either. Will take comfort over that.
You will be fine with Koni Yellows if you intend to track. That is a good choice. Yellows are adjustable for comfort. So you can play with the settings to have one that feels good daily driving. Then play with adjustments when you track. If you had chosen Bilstein B8's you would be stuck with the one factory setting for both types of driving.
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2020, 08:14 AM   #130
jadis
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
You will be fine with Koni Yellows if you intend to track. That is a good choice. Yellows are adjustable for comfort. So you can play with the settings to have one that feels good daily driving. Then play with adjustments when you track. If you had chosen Bilstein B8's you would be stuck with the one factory setting for both types of driving.
Thank you.....you set my mind at ease.
Appreciate 1
johnung4528.00
      09-11-2020, 09:14 AM   #131
rcaso26
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xdrive

Quote:
Thanks for the part numbers. I'm curious what your setup was that you were bottoming out? I haven't experienced any bottoming.

I've got a 2015 335i xDrive with Koni Special Actives and the mild drop -06 Eibachs. (Drops F0.8"/R0.6")

I kept the stock bump stops based on recommendations from Koni North America tech support. Wondering what the difference is that you were bottoming?
I really think it's just the roads on long island that caused the bottoming out/crashing on large dips and bumps. I have Eibach springs that drop .8 and .6 for the 328 xdrive (part no. E10-20-031-04-22) paired with the Koni SA's. After I installed the shorter bump stops, I have had maybe 1 crash on a huge pothole but otherwise have had no further issues.
Appreciate 1
johnung4528.00
      09-11-2020, 11:04 AM   #132
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

I really think it's just the roads on long island that caused the bottoming out/crashing on large dips and bumps. I have Eibach springs that drop .8 and .6 for the 328 xdrive (part no. E10-20-031-04-22) paired with the Koni SA's. After I installed the shorter bump stops, I have had maybe 1 crash on a huge pothole but otherwise have had no further issues.
That makes sense. I assume that the Eibach -06 springs are heavier to compensate for the extra weight of the 6-cylinder engine in my 335i xDrive. That probably provides a little more bottoming out protection.
Appreciate 1
rcaso26331.00