F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Any EIBACH SPRINGS on F30 335i X-DRIVE?
Studio RSR

02-01-2021, 06:01 PM   #177
uhdimzy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Ran into this issue recently. The answer is that Eibach's US website catalog is incomplete. The Eibach.DE site in Germany lists the correct part number for 440i GC xDrive, which is Eibach -05 part number.

The Eibach -05 part number is not widely available in US, but Tunershop has it. Note that Tunershop website had the wrong drops listed. Not sure if they corrected that yet. The drops on my photo are correct.

Bump stops from F80 M3 would work better than stock bump stops. (Thanks FaRKle!) See photo for part numbers
Wondering why the drop listed on the eibach.de catalogue is the same for both -05 and -06 springs? Even the RWD version doesn't seem to be accurate.

I would have based my decision off of what other users have reported in drop for the RWD springs but i'm confused because the US eibach site lists a 1" drop in the front and 0.8" in the rear for the 340i and the .de site isn't helpful either.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 06:52 PM   #178
Kamoliddin
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i (f30)

I went with the RWD versions of Eibach with Dinan bump stops on my xDrive F30. So far so good.

Appreciate 1
      02-09-2021, 06:53 PM   #179
Elvis340
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw #340X

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_tdot View Post
Lowered my xdrive on eibach's last week.

I used the RWD version though - part no. E10-20-031-02-22
Dear Mark, drop is looks perfect, that's exactly what I need.
Just to confirm: kit E10-20-031-02-22 with drop 25mm front and the same 25 mm on the rear ?!
Could you be so kind to share your wheels specs please ?
Rear/Front: Radius / J / ET ? It's looks amazing with this drop.
Perfect fitment.
Looking forward for your reply.
Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 09:54 PM   #180
Emerson335
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i xDrive

Garage List
2015 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Great thread, super helpful!

Just installed the 05-22 kit this past weekend, paired with Koni Yellows and new F80 bump stops. Super happy with the results, including the surprisingly good ride quality.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-18-2021, 11:06 AM   #181
Operator Mo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Now: 2014 335i X-Drive

Thank you Johnung

Johnung:

A shout out to you for your input throughout this thread.

I've been looking at upgrading the suspension on my '14 335i x-drive and based on your feedback, a lot of research and forum discussion review, I opted to go with the Eibach Pro Kit (p/n E10-20-031-06-22) and a set of Koni FSD's.

My Goals: Eliminate the float of the stock suspension and affect a modest drop in ride height to reduce wheel gap.

The car is my daily driver (I'm never going to use it as a track car) so I'm not looking for slammed, just a bit firmer ride and the better aesthetic that comes from less wheel gap. Based on your feedback, this setup will achieve those goals. Install is today and I’m looking forward to taking it for a test run after work.

Also noteworthy, I reached out to Koni for confirmation that FSD's were okay to use with the Eibach Pro Kit given Koni's note that FSD's should not be used with lowering springs.

They replied that there shouldn't be any issues and actually referred me back to your comments in this thread which I found both reassuring and mildly amusing.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your experience with the Pro Kit / FSD setup. It's appreciated.

Best regards,
Mo

Quote:
The Eibach "-06" kit is typically for F3x xDrive which is what it installed on my 2015 335i xDrive. It lowered it exactly as advertised: front 0.8" and rear 0.6". So it gets rid of some of BMW's xDrive reverse rake.

If I recall correctly the "-05" part number wasn't a European version for the xDrive. It was the part number used on RWD models. Remember that the RWD initial setup is different so whatever drop is published for them, doesn't mean that those springs would provide the same drop on an xDrive.

Note: The Eibach US website catalog is incomplete. I often go to the Eibach Germany website and choose for it to translate into English. It has a more complete list of what Eibach offers. Also I've discovered that Tunershop Germany website carries some part numbers not typically found in the US

Last edited by Operator Mo; 05-18-2021 at 11:12 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2021, 12:43 PM   #182
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Operator Mo View Post
Johnung:

A shout out to you for your input throughout this thread.

I've been looking at upgrading the suspension on my '14 335i x-drive and based on your feedback, a lot of research and forum discussion review, I opted to go with the Eibach Pro Kit (p/n E10-20-031-06-22) and a set of Koni FSD's.

My Goals: Eliminate the float of the stock suspension and affect a modest drop in ride height to reduce wheel gap.

The car is my daily driver (I'm never going to use it as a track car) so I'm not looking for slammed, just a bit firmer ride and the better aesthetic that comes from less wheel gap. Based on your feedback, this setup will achieve those goals. Install is today and I'm looking forward to taking it for a test run after work.

Also noteworthy, I reached out to Koni for confirmation that FSD's were okay to use with the Eibach Pro Kit given Koni's note that FSD's should not be used with lowering springs.

They replied that there shouldn't be any issues and actually referred me back to your comments in this thread which I found both reassuring and mildly amusing.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your experience with the Pro Kit / FSD setup. It's appreciated.

Best regards,
Mo

Quote:
The Eibach "-06" kit is typically for F3x xDrive which is what it installed on my 2015 335i xDrive. It lowered it exactly as advertised: front 0.8" and rear 0.6". So it gets rid of some of BMW's xDrive reverse rake.

If I recall correctly the "-05" part number wasn't a European version for the xDrive. It was the part number used on RWD models. Remember that the RWD initial setup is different so whatever drop is published for them, doesn't mean that those springs would provide the same drop on an xDrive.

Note: The Eibach US website catalog is incomplete. I often go to the Eibach Germany website and choose for it to translate into English. It has a more complete list of what Eibach offers. Also I've discovered that Tunershop Germany website carries some part numbers not typically found in the US
That's hysterical! I wonder who you spoke with at Koni? They were extremely helpful to me over three years ago and more recently. For several months before the Koni Special Actives were released in the US in 2018, we discussed the testing that Koni North America had done with that exact combination of F3x 335i XDrive with KoniSA's and Eibach XDrive (-06) springs.

I learned quickly that there is a European language translation issue. When Americans read that the Koni Special Actives or the Bilstein B6's are only for stock height springs, Americans take that literally. But the European definition of "stock height" is anything that drops an inch or less.

I've suggested many times to both Koni and Bilstein that they may increase American sales if they change the wording in their product literature, but to no avail. The manufacturer's product literature just gets copied down to dozens of retailers websites. So misinformation just spreads everywhere. And when you call retailer tech support lines that misinformation pops up on their computer screens.

When the first batch of Koni Special Actives hit the US, I had them Fedexed and installed the next day. Then my son and I left on a two week 2,500 mile trip to visit a dozen prospective colleges. We had a blast driving the 335ix with the new suspension from New Jersey to Miami and back.

The most fun driving roads that we encountered on our trip were outside of Charlottesville, Virginia where the University of Virginia is located. Beautiful smooth asphalt with hills and undulating curves with gorgeous scenery all around. Highly recommend a driving trip to that area. UVA, Thomas Jefferson's Monticello home, great stuff!
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2021, 09:45 AM   #183
Operator Mo
Private
United_States
Rep

Johnung:

I corresponded with Mason O'Hara at Koni.

I took the car out for a couple hours after work and ran it around to places where I'd noted the road caused the stock setup to bounce/float. I'd put together a mental list of spots to try out, post-install, for comparison purposes.

The car is now planted and feels firmly connected to the pavement. The difference in road handling is amazing. As others have noted, I should have done this sooner.

Coming from an E92/335i with the factory sports suspension to an F30 x-Drive, I was shocked (no pun intended) at how un-BMW like the car was. The combination of the electric rack and Buick-like suspension was really disheartening. I hadn't noticed it on the test drives but after I bought it and got it out on a long roadtrip (Seattle to New Mexico), the differences were obvious.

The Eibach / Koni setup is pretty sweet and so far, seems well suited for a daily-driver, non-tracked, car.

I've got a roadie coming up in about a week and a half (Seattle to Phoenix). I'm looking forward to the extended drive time to study the nuisances of the new setup and see how it differs from stock.

There's a stretch of I-84 east of Baker City, OR where the sight-lines are long and the curves nicely banked. Looking forward to some spirited driving, somewhere above the posted speed limit.

Quote:
That's hysterical! I wonder who you spoke with at Koni? They were extremely helpful to me over three years ago and more recently. For several months before the Koni Special Actives were released in the US in 2018, we discussed the testing that Koni North America had done with that exact combination of F3x 335i XDrive with KoniSA's and Eibach XDrive (-06) springs.

I learned quickly that there is a European language translation issue. When Americans read that the Koni Special Actives or the Bilstein B6's are only for stock height springs, Americans take that literally. But the European definition of "stock height" is anything that drops an inch or less.

I've suggested many times to both Koni and Bilstein that they may increase American sales if they change the wording in their product literature, but to no avail. The manufacturer's product literature just gets copied down to dozens of retailers websites. So misinformation just spreads everywhere. And when you call retailer tech support lines that misinformation pops up on their computer screens.

When the first batch of Koni Special Actives hit the US, I had them Fedexed and installed the next day. Then my son and I left on a two week 2,500 mile trip to visit a dozen prospective colleges. We had a blast driving the 335ix with the new suspension from New Jersey to Miami and back.

The most fun driving roads that we encountered on our trip were outside of Charlottesville, Virginia where the University of Virginia is located. Beautiful smooth asphalt with hills and undulating curves with gorgeous scenery all around. Highly recommend a driving trip to that area. UVA, Thomas Jefferson's Monticello home, great stuff!
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2021, 01:58 PM   #184
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Operator Mo View Post
Johnung:

I corresponded with Mason O'Hara at Koni.

I took the car out for a couple hours after work and ran it around to places where I'd noted the road caused the stock setup to bounce/float. I'd put together a mental list of spots to try out, post-install, for comparison purposes.

The car is now planted and feels firmly connected to the pavement. The difference in road handling is amazing. As others have noted, I should have done this sooner.

Coming from an E92/335i with the factory sports suspension to an F30 x-Drive, I was shocked (no pun intended) at how un-BMW like the car was. The combination of the electric rack and Buick-like suspension was really disheartening. I hadn't noticed it on the test drives but after I bought it and got it out on a long roadtrip (Seattle to New Mexico), the differences were obvious.

The Eibach / Koni setup is pretty sweet and so far, seems well suited for a daily-driver, non-tracked, car.

I've got a roadie coming up in about a week and a half (Seattle to Phoenix). I'm looking forward to the extended drive time to study the nuisances of the new setup and see how it differs from stock.

There's a stretch of I-84 east of Baker City, OR where the sight-lines are long and the curves nicely banked. Looking forward to some spirited driving, somewhere above the posted speed limit.

Quote:

Mason is a great guy. Very helpful!
Glad you are enjoying your new suspension.

If you are looking for an amazing mod that will get rid of that vague F3x steering, swap out your XDrive Upper Control Arms for these. Huge transformation!

https://www.kiesmotorsports.com/prod...8;_ss=r?aff=22
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-24-2021, 10:36 AM   #185
Operator Mo
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks Johnung. I'm going to look into those as the steering on my F30 is pretty numb.

I also own a 2005 E46 sedan with the ZHP option package and the difference in driving experience is remarkable. It feels like the BMW part of the car got lost in translation with the F30.

Thanks for the tip on the control arms.

Quote:
Mason is a great guy. Very helpful!
Glad you are enjoying your new suspension.

If you are looking for an amazing mod that will get rid of that vague F3x steering, swap out your XDrive Upper Control Arms for these. Huge transformation!

https://www.kiesmotorsports.com/prod...f&_ss=r?aff=22

Last edited by Operator Mo; 05-24-2021 at 10:50 AM..
Appreciate 1
johnung4528.00
      05-25-2021, 09:19 AM   #186
JSpec21
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i X-Drive

So I just got a 18 330i Xdrive and I've been pounding my head at my desk for the past week trying to figure out exactly what I can and can't buy for this car. So far i've seen that if I decide to go the Springs route, I CAN use the RWD version for my car???

Also I've looked into coilovers, and even ordered a set of Fortune Auto, just to find out after more research that they will not fit my car even though it says F30 on the website. I'm so lost! I'm coming from the Evo X platform so German engineering is completely new to me.

I don't have EDC, as I checked my MyBMW site and it does not have the Dynamic Handling Package. So any help for a noob to this platform is very much appreciated!!

Right now I'm looking to lower my car, add some wheels, and a little power increase.

Thank in advance!!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 10:06 AM   #187
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpec21 View Post
So I just got a 18 330i Xdrive and I've been pounding my head at my desk for the past week trying to figure out exactly what I can and can't buy for this car. So far i've seen that if I decide to go the Springs route, I CAN use the RWD version for my car???

Also I've looked into coilovers, and even ordered a set of Fortune Auto, just to find out after more research that they will not fit my car even though it says F30 on the website. I'm so lost! I'm coming from the Evo X platform so German engineering is completely new to me.

I don't have EDC, as I checked my MyBMW site and it does not have the Dynamic Handling Package. So any help for a noob to this platform is very much appreciated!!

Right now I'm looking to lower my car, add some wheels, and a little power increase.

Thank in advance!!
Watch Kies Motorsports YouTube channel for tons of ideas.

You have an Xdrive so avoid lowering front by more than 1.5" or you can break drive shafts.

Eibach springs are perfect because they are only 10% stiffer than stock. Most of the others will rattle your teeth. See photo for part number for xDrive springs for your car. Moderate drop and it gets rid of some xDrive reverse rake. Swap out stock bump stops for shorter F80 bump stops in photo.

Do this and your stock shocks may last normally. Lower springs can destroy them early. Lower more and you should change your dampers to Koni Yellow Sport which can handle the drop and are adjustable for comfort.

Hope this helps!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      05-25-2021, 10:16 AM   #188
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpec21 View Post

Thank in advance!!
You don't say what wheels you have now. If they are 18"'s sometimes powder coating at about $100 a wheel is a nice change.

Or buying a set of BMW 400M 8.0"x 18" wheels for about $500-$600 used. Stock tires are 225/45-18 but upgrading to 245/40-18 handles much better. Summer Michelin Pilot Sport 4S or all season MPS A/S4 or Continental DWS06 PLUS.

For 19", square setup with 255/35-19 on 9.0"x 19" ET29 works great!

Best tune is BootMod3 Stage1. Smooth powerful factory like tune. Free updates, great tech support. Link below. Order the $20 installation cable. Takes 15min to install from your laptop.

https://www.kiesmotorsports.com/prod...8;_ss=r?aff=22
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2021, 08:28 PM   #189
JSpec21
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i X-Drive

Quote:
You don't say what wheels you have now. If they are 18"'s sometimes powder coating at about $100 a wheel is a nice change.

Or buying a set of BMW 400M 8.0"x 18" wheels for about $500-$600 used. Stock tires are 225/45-18 but upgrading to 245/40-18 handles much better. Summer Michelin Pilot Sport 4S or all season MPS A/S4 or Continental DWS06 PLUS.

For 19", square setup with 255/35-19 on 9.0"x 19" ET29 works great!

Best tune is BootMod3 Stage1. Smooth powerful factory like tune. Free updates, great tech support. Link below. Order the $20 installation cable. Takes 15min to install from your laptop.

https://www.kiesmotorsports.com/prod...7&_ss=r?aff=22

Thank you for all the great info!!!!
Appreciate 1
johnung4528.00
      06-17-2021, 03:33 PM   #190
Stucks
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 340i Xdrive

I had my 2017 340i xdrive lowered with eibach pro kit 05-22s and the two front struts (the oem ones from BMW were leaking) replaced with bilstein B4s. It has been about a month now and things don't seem to be settling anymore. I'm fine with the rears, but there is still some noticeable fender gap in the front which maintains the reverse raked look I was trying to eliminate. The car also has the dinan bump stop kit. 18x8.5 225/45-18 F, 18x9 255/40-18 R.

Looking for a solution to minimize the gap whether it be H&R sports, full-retard with bilstien b16 damptronics, or possibly swapping out tires for larger diameter (current is 26.0, maybe 26.3 or whatever)

Last edited by Stucks; 06-17-2021 at 07:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 02:24 PM   #191
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stucks View Post
I had my 2017 340i xdrive lowered with eibach pro kit 05-22s and the two front struts (the oem ones from BMW were leaking) replaced with bilstein B4s. It has been about a month now and things don't seem to be settling anymore. I'm fine with the rears, but there is still some noticeable fender gap in the front which maintains the reverse raked look I was trying to eliminate. The car also has the dinan bump stop kit. 18x8.5 225/45-18 F, 18x9 255/40-18 R.

Looking for a solution to minimize the gap whether it be H&R sports, full-retard with bilstien b16 damptronics, or possibly swapping out tires for larger diameter (current is 26.0, maybe 26.3 or whatever)

None of the possible solutions that you mentioned for reducing the front tire/fender gap is ideal. One thing to keep in mind is that with XDrive if you lower the front by more than 1.5" you get into the range where you can break front drive shafts.

H&R springs and the springs that come me in the Bilstein B16 kit are overly stiff so your ride could become harsher.

Larger diameter tires gives you more sidewall to give the illusion that a car has been lowered but not as much as one would think. In your example of 0.3" more diameter, remember that it's the increase in radius that reduces tire/fender gap. And 0.15" radius is only a little more than 1/8".

Plus higher diameter tires are often outside the ideal range of wheel width and tread width so handling can suffer. And with a staggered setup you would need to find tire sizes that would keep within the XDrive 1% specification to avoid destroying your XDrive Transfer Case.

A great solution might be the KWv3 coilovers which seem to check all of the boxes for adjustable height while providing excellent handling and ride comfort. Link to recent Kies Motorsports YouTube video below.

Appreciate 1
      06-18-2021, 03:29 PM   #192
Stucks
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
None of the possible solutions that you mentioned for reducing the front tire/fender gap is ideal. One thing to keep in mind is that with XDrive if you lower the front by more than 1.5" you get into the range where you can break front drive shafts.

H&R springs and the springs that come me in the Bilstein B16 kit are overly stiff so your ride could become harsher.

Larger diameter tires gives you more sidewall to give the illusion that a car has been lowered but not as much as one would think. In your example of 0.3" more diameter, remember that it's the increase in radius that reduces tire/fender gap. And 0.15" radius is only a little more than 1/8".

Plus higher diameter tires are often outside the ideal range of wheel width and tread width so handling can suffer. And with a staggered setup you would need to find tire sizes that would keep within the XDrive 1% specification to avoid destroying your XDrive Transfer Case.

A great solution might be the KWv3 coilovers which seem to check all of the boxes for adjustable height while providing excellent handling and ride comfort. Link to recent Kies Motorsports YouTube video below.

hmm...very good points. I know every scenario and car is different, but I wonder why my fronts don't look like other cars with the same setup (xdrive, adaptive, 05-22s). Could it be the replacement oem adaptive version b4s are the reason? perhaps they are too "new" or strong for the springs? maybe i should have not replaced my oem leaking struts lol just kidding.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 09:50 PM   #193
henkinc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi MT

so why did you not go for Dinan springs for the X drive?

Maybe not enough of a drop for you but Dinan really knows their BMWs.
Also- curious - how many miles on your oem struts?? And where they adaptive/electronic control?
Charlie
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 07:20 AM   #194
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by henkinc View Post
Also- curious - how many miles on your oem struts?? And where they adaptive/electronic control?
Charlie
FYI- when I researched Dinan springs for my XDrive, they lowered an equal amount (0.75") on all four corners. And they were much stiffer, about 30% according to Dinan.

I wanted to reduce the XDrive reverse rake and didn't want the added harshness of overly stiff springs. I chose Eibach springs. They drop the front more than the rear. And they are only 10% stiffer than stock.
Appreciate 1
      06-20-2021, 08:53 AM   #195
Stlblues
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Xdrive

Quote:
Quote:
Charlie
FYI- when I researched Dinan springs for my XDrive, they lowered an equal amount (0.75") on all four corners. And they were much stiffer, about 30% according to Dinan.

I wanted to reduce the XDrive reverse rake and didn't want the added harshness of overly stiff springs. I chose Eibach springs. They drop the front more than the rear. And they are only 10% stiffer than stock.
FWIW, the Dinan springs lower the 335 xdrive 3/4" front and rear but for the 340 xdrive it's 1" front and 1-1/8" rear. I'm not sure why it's different. Regarding the ride quality and the stated 30% increase in spring rate, I was concerned going into it but am glad I bought them. The lowering looks just right to me and I have been thrilled with the ride quality.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 11:21 AM   #196
Stucks
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Charlie
struts had roughly 41k miles on them. they weren't completely gone yet, but were leaking and emitting a "hiss" over bumps. they also made faint thumping noises when cold (think similar to a control arm loose or bushings worn). the new b4 damptronic struts dont make any noise at all.

Last edited by Stucks; 06-20-2021 at 11:34 AM..
Appreciate 1
johnung4528.00
      06-21-2021, 07:17 AM   #197
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlblues View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Charlie

FWIW, the Dinan springs lower the 335 xdrive 3/4" front and rear but for the 340 xdrive it's 1" front and 1-1/8" rear. I'm not sure why it's different. Regarding the ride quality and the stated 30% increase in spring rate, I was concerned going into it but am glad I bought them. The lowering looks just right to me and I have been thrilled with the ride quality.
That's interesting. So the Dinan spring part numbers are different? Many aftermarket suspension manufacturers just treat the 335i and 340i the same, like F30 chassis, 6-cylinder models. Wonder if it has anything to do with a change in design philosophy since 335i part was probably done before the sale of the company and the 340i afterwards. Just thinking out loud. I have no knowledge on that subject
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 11:02 AM   #198
Stlblues
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Xdrive

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlblues View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Charlie

That's interesting. So the Dinan spring part numbers are different? Many aftermarket suspension manufacturers just treat the 335i and 340i the same, like F30 chassis, 6-cylinder models. Wonder if it has anything to do with a change in design philosophy since 335i part was probably done before the sale of the company and the 340i afterwards. Just thinking out loud. I have no knowledge on that subject
Just looked and the part number is the same and they list them for the 2013-2018 model years. I wondered if it could be that the OEM springs were somehow taller on the 340 than the 335, meaning the Dinan spring height is the same but it lowers a 340 slightly more, although I have no idea why that would be the case.
Appreciate 0