F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Suspension Refresh Help
Studio RSR

12-14-2021, 07:54 AM   #1
tobefair-idontcare
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Suspension Refresh Help

My adaptive suspension on my 340i is on its last leg. I currently daily drive this car and want to keep the suspension soft and compliant. What are my options? I'm not particularly interested in coilovers, I'd like to stay relatively OEM so I've been debating just replacing the them with OE style B4 dampers but noticed the B6s aren't much more expensive. Does anyone have any experience with the B6 dampers? Again, I really would like a soft, daily driver ride.

Any opinions welcome. Thanks.
      12-14-2021, 10:36 AM   #2
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobefair-idontcare View Post
My adaptive suspension on my 340i is on its last leg. I currently daily drive this car and want to keep the suspension soft and compliant. What are my options? I'm not particularly interested in coilovers, I'd like to stay relatively OEM so I've been debating just replacing the them with OE style B4 dampers but noticed the B6s aren't much more expensive. Does anyone have any experience with the B6 dampers? Again, I really would like a soft, daily driver ride.

How many miles do you have on your car? How do you know that the Adaptives are shot? Is it front, rear or all four? Typically one begins to leak, so you can just replace that pair front or rear until the other pair has an issue.

My understanding is that B4-DampTronics are pretty much stock replacements. So considering that you like the stock Adaptive ride, and depending on how long you intend to keep the car, they may be the way to go.

B6-DampTronics (and B6 in general) are supposed to be Bilstein's upgrade in both higher quality materials and higher level technology.

Now the "technology" part might concern me based on your comments. Because Bilstein tends to make things stiffer/harsher as you go up the chain in their product line, as if they assume people are weekend trackers.

I would look for specific comparison of specs between the two models. You may find that the B6-DampTronic are set up more stiffly than B4-DampTronics. Based on your requirements that isn't what you want.

Tip: you can increase comfort level when you replace dampers/springs by also replacing all of the stock rubber components above and below the springs and dampers. Even if they look fine, rubber degrades over time with use. New rubber bits will make the ride the most comfortable.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 5
      12-17-2021, 02:50 PM   #3
Shah_F30
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 335i M-Sport, 6-MT

B6
Appreciate 2
      12-19-2021, 11:36 AM   #4
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
How many miles do you have on your car? How do you know that the Adaptives are shot? Is it front, rear or all four? Typically one begins to leak, so you can just replace that pair front or rear until the other pair has an issue.

My understanding is that B4-DampTronics are pretty much stock replacements. So considering that you like the stock Adaptive ride, and depending on how long you intend to keep the car, they may be the way to go.

B6-DampTronics (and B6 in general) are supposed to be Bilstein's upgrade in both higher quality materials and higher level technology.

Now the "technology" part might concern me based on your comments. Because Bilstein tends to make things stiffer/harsher as you go up the chain in their product line, as if they assume people are weekend trackers.

I would look for specific comparison of specs between the two models. You may find that the B6-DampTronic are set up more stiffly than B4-DampTronics. Based on your requirements that isn't what you want.

Tip: you can increase comfort level when you replace dampers/springs by also replacing all of the stock rubber components above and below the springs and dampers. Even if they look fine, rubber degrades over time with use. New rubber bits will make the ride the most comfortable.

Hope this helps!
Very little to add to what johnung has suggested. Echoing the same main question: how many miles does your car have?

If you are looking for near OEM ride quality, you will find B6 Damptronic shocks substantially stiffer.

B4 Damptronic shocks + new OEM springs + replacing stock rubber components as mentioned above = would be a prudent approach considering your requirements.
Appreciate 2
      12-24-2021, 03:49 AM   #5
gabrmdoom
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

I was in your position and had a similar goal as you except I also wanted to close the wheel gap. Us EDC boys dont have many options outside of a delete kit. Ive been running b6 DampTronic+ for about 10k miles and refreshed my suspension with all new rubber bumpstops and even new tophats. Chris allen hooked me up and gave me the rundown. I elected to go with eibach springs.

I hate the way it rides. Its noticeably stiffer than stock and michigan potholes would never allow me to enjoy that sort of thing. I hate the way it sits. It is perfect in the rear imo, like 1 inch wheel gap and the front looks close to stock. Im now considering kw ddc coilovers or something else. Ive heard that b16 damptronic are even harsher and that kw is more tame in this sense. I could also use some advice, what does everyone think of kw ddc? Should i delete edc and go with another coilover kit? V3? V2?
      12-24-2021, 03:50 AM   #6
gabrmdoom
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Also one more thing to mention, increasing the sidewall of your tires will definitely help make the car ride softer and be more road compliant.
      01-10-2022, 12:27 PM   #7
Matthewricha
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrmdoom View Post
I was in your position and had a similar goal as you except I also wanted to close the wheel gap. Us EDC boys dont have many options outside of a delete kit. Ive been running b6 DampTronic+ for about 10k miles and refreshed my suspension with all new rubber bumpstops and even new tophats. Chris allen hooked me up and gave me the rundown. I elected to go with eibach springs.

I hate the way it rides. Its noticeably stiffer than stock and michigan potholes would never allow me to enjoy that sort of thing. I hate the way it sits. It is perfect in the rear imo, like 1 inch wheel gap and the front looks close to stock. Im now considering kw ddc coilovers or something else. Ive heard that b16 damptronic are even harsher and that kw is more tame in this sense. I could also use some advice, what does everyone think of kw ddc? Should i delete edc and go with another coilover kit? V3? V2?
I replaced my M235i adaptive suspension with B4 Damptronics about 10k miles ago and also hate the ride quality. The springs are MP rather than M Sport so might be too high a spring rate for the B4's. I changed the rear to Eibach and that helped, but I can still tell the B4 DT's struggle with high frequency ripples and bumps. They are very good on the back roads and handle well. Considering going back to OEM.

The Bilstein front spring cups are orientated differently to OEM and therefore raise the ride height up with the same spring. I.e. my 10mm lower MP Springs yield an OEM ride height with the B4 DT's.
Appreciate 2
      01-10-2022, 03:44 PM   #8
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewricha View Post
I replaced my M235i adaptive suspension with B4 Damptronics about 10k miles ago and also hate the ride quality. The springs are MP rather than M Sport so might be too high a spring rate for the B4's. I changed the rear to Eibach and that helped, but I can still tell the B4 DT's struggle with high frequency ripples and bumps. They are very good on the back roads and handle well. Considering going back to OEM.

The Bilstein front spring cups are orientated differently to OEM and therefore raise the ride height up with the same spring. I.e. my 10mm lower MP Springs yield an OEM ride height with the B4 DT's.
Matthewricha, thanks for sharing - a very interesting (slightly alarming) observation. At some point in the future, I was planning to replace OEM M Adaptive shocks in 2017 440i GC with B4 Damptronic shocks.

Are B4 Damptronic shocks that unsuitable that returning to OEM 'damptronic' is an option?

I also find that OEM M Adaptive shocks can be best described as lethargic. They have difficulties keeping up with rapid changes in road surface and at some point just begin to bounce. My car has OEM M Sport springs.
Appreciate 1
gds4.50
      01-10-2022, 04:37 PM   #9
Matthewricha
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i

They are certainly stiffer than OEM mlite shocks, especially when cold. They have mellowed since new. Problem is i have never paired them with OEM M Sport springs so my comments may not be fair. Also my wheels are 19 inch with low profile non-runflat tyres. If I'm honest the electric part of the adaptive is just so non-consistent. Perhaps the bilstein amplify this. I.e. i can drive out of my housing estate thinking this is fine.. another time I can be driving back after a longer drive and the shocks feel stiffer even in comfort mode. I think the adaptive nature of the shocks doesn't react well with sudden changes in road surface. The best shocks I've experienced for that were on my old e92 with Koni FSD dual valve shocks.

Perhaps if I put oem springs in they'd be fine albeit stiffer than oem shocks.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 08:33 AM   #10
tobefair-idontcare
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Quote:

Hope this helps!
Very little to add to what johnung has suggested. Echoing the same main question: how many miles does your car have?

If you are looking for near OEM ride quality, you will find B6 Damptronic shocks substantially stiffer.

B4 Damptronic shocks + new OEM springs + replacing stock rubber components as mentioned above = would be a prudent approach considering your requirements.
Sorry for the late reply to this thread, I had a baby this last month and it's kept me busy.

What does this forum think about deleting the EDC function of the vehicle and replacing the shocks with OEM non-edc shocks or an aftermarket equivalent like Koni or Bilstein for a compliant but comfortable daily driving shock?

The reason I ask is because I love this car but the EDC shocks are 4-5x the price of regular shocks and I don't mind not having that function. Of course the sport setting is stiffer, but in reality it's not much of a difference especially in comparison to any aftermarket option. Also, the car just rolled over 90k and I want to keep the car for a while without dumping a ton of money into a depreciating asset.

Anyways, what do you guys think?
      02-01-2022, 11:17 AM   #11
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Quote:

Hope this helps!

Sorry for the late reply to this thread, I had a baby this last month and it's kept me busy.

What does this forum think about deleting the EDC function of the vehicle and replacing the shocks with OEM non-edc shocks or an aftermarket equivalent like Koni or Bilstein for a compliant but comfortable daily driving shock?

The reason I ask is because I love this car but the EDC shocks are 4-5x the price of regular shocks and I don't mind not having that function. Of course the sport setting is stiffer, but in reality it's not much of a difference especially in comparison to any aftermarket option. Also, the car just rolled over 90k and I want to keep the car for a while without dumping a ton of money into a depreciating asset.

Anyways, what do you guys think?
With 90k miles your Adaptive dampers are certainly at end of life. If you inspect them you may find one or more leaking. You will find many proponents online of dumping EDC dampers for non-EDC but most have different goals than yourself. Most are looking to do expensive coilovers, not looking for a comfortable daily driver ride.

With your goals in mind I took a quick look at TireRack and Turner. Here are the options that I see:

Keeping Adaptive/EDC System:
1) Bilstein B4-DampTronic $1,380-$more?
This will give you the same suspension feel that you like now. Also replace the rubber top and bottom spring/damper mounts and external bump stops.

There were some other B4-DampTronic options listed for your car at maybe $200-$400 more but descriptions were terrible and I didn't have time to figure out exactly which Bilstein's fit your car. Avoid the B6 options as discussed previously since they are harsher than B4's.

2) KW Street Comfort EDC coilovers $2,059
You aren't keen on coilovers but KW has a reputation for high quality and the most comfortable in case you change your mind.

Non-EDC Options:
Note: there are various methods to cleanly eliminate EDC that you can look up. Budget roughly $200

3) Koni Special Actives $760
Best replacement damper. High tech dual valve system developed with McLaren makes this a comfort and a sport shock that automatically adapts to road conditions. Also change out stock suspension bits as previously discussed.

If you wish to replace old stock springs and slightly lower at the same time, get Eibach XDrive springs ($305) with won't add harshness. See photo. Part number is probably E10-20-031-06-22
Labor to replace springs is essentially free if done at same time as dampers.
Make sure to replace bump stops with shorter F80 bump stops. See photo. Avoid H&R and Dinan which are much stiffer/harsher

4) Koni kit with Sport Yellow dampers and the Eibach XDrive springs. $1,094
Fronts are adjustable for comfort although set at full comfort they aren't as comfortable as KoniSA's. Great dampers though. Not as stiff/harsh as Bilstein B6/B8. Replace stock bits and use F80 bump stops.

5) KW Street Comfort Coilovers $1,819
Same description as above.

Recommendation:
Unless you have a change of heart on coilovers, I would recommend investigating the exact part numbers and best prices that you can find on the Bilstein B4-DampTronic. They would give you the ride that you like and are accustomed to. Replace stock suspension bits too.

If that total price is more than you want to invest then consider the non-EDC Koni Special Actives. I have them and they are far more comfortable than stock and sportier too. Replace stock bits and turn off your cars EDC. You have the Eibach spring option too. They are mild lowering, about 0.8" in front and 0.6" in rear to eliminate some of the XDrive reverse rake.

Good luck!
Hope this helps!
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      02-01-2022, 12:45 PM   #12
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrmdoom View Post
Quote:

You are correct to avoid Bilstein B16. They chose springs that are too stiff so the ride is harsh.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 12:50 PM   #13
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

johnung comments are as comprehensive as one could possibly wish for.

OP, how important is it for you to adjust the suspension after initial installation - for example rebound / compression + suspension height?
Appreciate 1
johnung4512.00
      02-01-2022, 12:51 PM   #14
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
They are certainly stiffer than OEM mlite shocks, especially when cold. They have mellowed since new. Problem is i have never paired them with OEM M Sport springs so my comments may not be fair. Also my wheels are 19 inch with low profile non-runflat tyres. If I'm honest the electric part of the adaptive is just so non-consistent. Perhaps the bilstein amplify this. I.e. i can drive out of my housing estate thinking this is fine.. another time I can be driving back after a longer drive and the shocks feel stiffer even in comfort mode. I think the adaptive nature of the shocks doesn't react well with sudden changes in road surface. The best shocks I've experienced for that were on my old e92 with Koni FSD dual valve shocks.

Perhaps if I put oem springs in they'd be fine albeit stiffer than oem shocks.
FYI- Koni developed the FSD technology in partnership with McLaren. About 2-3 years ago expanded their FSD technology offering to a larger variety of car makes, and the color went from gold to red. Today they are called Koni Special Actives and are red.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 01:41 PM   #15
S4NoMore
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 340i, 15 X3d, 91 318i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3 28d  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [8.66]
Quote:
The reason I ask is because I love this car but the EDC shocks are 4-5x the price of regular shocks and I don't mind not having that function.
On a set of Genuine BMW VDC shocks/struts I'm seeing about $1600.

Bilstein and Koni options for non-electronic dampers look to be around $7-900.

You love the car, you're getting solid value out of it now, and I bet part of the reason you love it is in the way it rides... or at least used to ride. Based on your goal I'd be afraid that anything other than OEM is going to be a disappointment. It's going to be trading comfort for stiffness. I've been there done that many times over and at this point I'm with you, I want my daily driver to be comfortably sporty.

My suggestion is to spend the extra $1k to get the "right" parts and enjoy them. If you sell the car long before hitting 180k miles, it'll be a favorable line item in the description - shocks replaced with OEM. It'll bolster the value of the car and/or be one less holdup giving the buyer's market pause when shopping.

Better yet, take the car in for a complimentary check at your dealer if they offer, or ask your vehicle inspection shop, or jack up the car and take a look and you might find that one of your shocks is clearly failed as someone mentioned, with fluid leaking. You could very well replace just the fronts or just the rears and get that ride quality back, and put off doing the other axle until something actually fails.
Appreciate 1
Chukker27.00
      02-01-2022, 09:25 PM   #16
Jvac
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i rwd

Do the 335 and 340 use different part #s for the adaptive dampers? I just took some off my car with a good bit of life left in them. I'm about to put them up for sale in the classified section
      02-02-2022, 09:46 AM   #17
S4NoMore
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3 28d  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvac View Post
Do the 335 and 340 use different part #s for the adaptive dampers? I just took some off my car with a good bit of life left in them. I'm about to put them up for sale in the classified section
Good question - I had the thought for those looking to save a decent amount of cost to buy used lower-mile parts. The rears are much easier to swap, the fronts not so easy, I'd be less inclined to install used fronts on a car I intended to keep.

The answer is yes, they do use different part numbers. The LCI refresh usually includes revised "suspension tuning" and tweaks to geometry, as was the case with the F30. So 340 owners would need to seek out lower-mile 340 shocks.
Appreciate 1
Jvac430.50
      02-02-2022, 11:30 AM   #18
Jvac
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i rwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4NoMore View Post
Good question - I had the thought for those looking to save a decent amount of cost to buy used lower-mile parts. The rears are much easier to swap, the fronts not so easy, I'd be less inclined to install used fronts on a car I intended to keep.

The answer is yes, they do use different part numbers. The LCI refresh usually includes revised "suspension tuning" and tweaks to geometry, as was the case with the F30. So 340 owners would need to seek out lower-mile 340 shocks.
I figured as much. Well if anyone else is looking for msport adaptive parts for their 335, hit me up.
      02-03-2022, 01:31 PM   #19
Fizzius
Private
Rep
Drives: 18 X3m40i, 16 340xi (retired)

Ok so been doing lots of reading on this to try and figure out what next steps are for me.
Recently picked up my first bimmer, 2016 340i Xdrive with M-Sport package but standard suspension (non-edc). She has been well maintained with regular service but at 82k on the clock the suspension is starting to show (what I think) are signs of needing replacement in near future as the suspension is feeling a bit bouncy over undulations but harsh over small stuff.

Park of it is the thinner profile run-flat tires that the dealer put on, which I will be going to normal tires and running something like a 245/40r18 in the near future, but I am looking to lower the car ever so slightly. Will see snow and winter driving, bad missouri and kansas roads and will be a daily driver for the most part when I actually have to commute into the office. So really just looking to close the fender gap a bit (may .5" all around). This won't be tracked but gf and I both enjoy spirited driving (she's got an '18 x3 m40i) when the opportunity arises.

With that said, would moving to coilovers be a better bet than going with something like the Koni Special Active and Eibach springs? Want something that is still going to have a comfortable ride, so looking at maybe KW Street Comfort or V1? Seems like Bilstien B14s will be stiffer than I want.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 02:23 PM   #20
S4NoMore
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3 28d  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzius View Post
Ok so been doing lots of reading on this to try and figure out what next steps are for me.
Recently picked up my first bimmer, 2016 340i Xdrive with M-Sport package but standard suspension (non-edc). She has been well maintained with regular service but at 82k on the clock the suspension is starting to show (what I think) are signs of needing replacement in near future as the suspension is feeling a bit bouncy over undulations but harsh over small stuff.

Park of it is the thinner profile run-flat tires that the dealer put on, which I will be going to normal tires and running something like a 245/40r18 in the near future, but I am looking to lower the car ever so slightly. Will see snow and winter driving, bad missouri and kansas roads and will be a daily driver for the most part when I actually have to commute into the office. So really just looking to close the fender gap a bit (may .5" all around). This won't be tracked but gf and I both enjoy spirited driving (she's got an '18 x3 m40i) when the opportunity arises.

With that said, would moving to coilovers be a better bet than going with something like the Koni Special Active and Eibach springs? Want something that is still going to have a comfortable ride, so looking at maybe KW Street Comfort or V1? Seems like Bilstien B14s will be stiffer than I want.
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1285044
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 05:12 PM   #21
Yam_440i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: White BMW 335i convertible

Quote:

Could someone confirm if this is a XDrive thing or is this the case with all B4's?

I want to achieve a nice Eibach level drop using their springs, so if the b4's raise the front slightly higher - what good springs can I use to compensate for the increase in height to still achieve the Eibach drop without the front looking noticeably higher?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 08:54 AM   #22
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam_440i View Post
Quote:

Could someone confirm if this is a XDrive thing or is this the case with all B4's?

I want to achieve a nice Eibach level drop using their springs, so if the b4's raise the front slightly higher - what good springs can I use to compensate for the increase in height to still achieve the Eibach drop without the front looking noticeably higher?
The Bilstein height raise is not an XDrive related issue. This video explains it well. I don't think it specifically shows B4's but if you've read people complain about B4 ride height increase then it must include them too.

You don't say what year or model you have. But if you are considering Bilstein B4's then consider the Koni Special Actives instead. B4's are really just stiff replacement dampers while the KoniSA's are a combination comfort and sport shock. And they won't change ride height. I installed them with Eibach springs, and the drop was spot on with Eibach drop estimates

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0