F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Sequential side mirror turn signals
Extreme Powerhouse

02-03-2020, 02:18 AM   #1
kuradile
Private
Rep
Drives: 440i

Sequential side mirror turn signals

I recently ordered a pair off Amazon and after having received them I'm a bit confused. I've contacted the seller and while I wait for an answer I figured I'd tap into the collective knowledge base here, too.

All of the DIY videos/instructions I've watched have used a variation of the turn signal where a pair of black and red wires with the female end of the plug runs out of the plastic housing and it's PnP - all good so far.
The ones I received, however, have a built-in plug just like OEM and then a solitary blue wire with a bare end that comes out of the housing near the LED strip.

Has anyone seen something like this before or has any idea what I'm supposed to do with that exposed wire?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 08:53 AM   #2
kuradile
Private
Rep

Asking and answering myself.

I just received the install instructions from the seller and contrary to the listing - which clearly stated PnP - they are not. The blue wire is meant to be the ground which I'm supposed to splice into the wiring harness for the mirror. Fuck that, I'm sending this pair back.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 09:01 AM   #3
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuradile View Post
I recently ordered a pair off Amazon and after having received them I'm a bit confused. I've contacted the seller and while I wait for an answer I figured I'd tap into the collective knowledge base here, too.

All of the DIY videos/instructions I've watched have used a variation of the turn signal where a pair of black and red wires with the female end of the plug runs out of the plastic housing and it's PnP - all good so far.
The ones I received, however, have a built-in plug just like OEM and then a solitary blue wire with a bare end that comes out of the housing near the LED strip.

Has anyone seen something like this before or has any idea what I'm supposed to do with that exposed wire?
Not sure if you saw this video from Kies Motorsports, link below. It may have a product source listed.

Be very careful to not break the side mirror itself. If it's the heated glass, it is a special laminated glass that supposed to be over $300 to replace.

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 11:35 AM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

The method in that video is as likely as not to result in a broken mirror. The cap itself will pry off easily with a pair of trim removal wedges. A pair, as that allows you to put pressure on both sides of the cap, minimizing the potential for breaking the clips that hold it in place.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 04:08 PM   #5
kuradile
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Not sure if you saw this video from Kies Motorsports, link below. It may have a product source listed.

Be very careful to not break the side mirror itself. If it's the heated glass, it is a special laminated glass that supposed to be over $300 to replace.
Thanks but this had absolutely nothing to do with my problem. I've seen that video, I know the process of replacing the turn signals. My predicament was that the connections on the turn signal were completely different from the ones in that particular video (and countless others).
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 07:08 PM   #6
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post

Thanks but this had absolutely nothing to do with my problem. I've seen that video, I know the process of replacing the turn signals. My predicament was that the connections on the turn signal were completely different from the ones in that particular video (and countless others).
Yeah, I got that. That's why I suggested

"It may have a product source listed."

In case it helped you find the correct version that you need
Appreciate 1
Billfitz8244.50
      02-04-2020, 02:32 PM   #7
Honeybadger23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 f30 328i sportline

Quote:

I bought mine on Amazon and all the wires go into one harness, single plug N play.

Sounds like something isn't right with yours..

Definitely contact the seller
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 02:27 PM   #8
Minesh
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Hi

Sorry to bump up an old thread.

There is nothing wrong with the OP's sequential indicator

He got the option of using the blue wire to tap it to power fold cable. So when you unlock (unfold) mirrors the led would light up blue.

Under normal operation it would be amber when indicating.

I have this but am unsure of what wire controls the power fold/unfold function

Anyone help I have an F30 330e

Thank you in advance

Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 06:33 PM   #9
DartsforDays
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minesh View Post
Hi

Sorry to bump up an old thread.

There is nothing wrong with the OP's sequential indicator

He got the option of using the blue wire to tap it to power fold cable. So when you unlock (unfold) mirrors the led would light up blue.

Under normal operation it would be amber when indicating.

I have this but am unsure of what wire controls the power fold/unfold function

Anyone help I have an F30 330e

Thank you in advance

https://youtu.be/Ke1l899jUhE
I got the blue turn wire on mine too for the blue light, I dont have folding mirror though so was going to hook it up to the welcome lights on the door, do you know what wire color it is so I don't gotta tear door apart?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 05:31 PM   #10
TitanGrau
Australia
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by DartsforDays View Post
I got the blue turn wire on mine too for the blue light, I dont have folding mirror though so was going to hook it up to the welcome lights on the door, do you know whath wire color it is so I don't gotta tear door apart?
If you want to wire in the blue light to the puddle lights so that they come on when you unlock and lock the car, you need to tap the red wire inside the mirror casing. I used a posi tap to do mine and works perfectly
Appreciate 0