F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Winter setup (wheel stuck)
GetBMWParts

11-25-2019, 09:43 AM   #1
brk_05
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i ZHP

Winter setup (wheel stuck)

Finally got my winter tires mounted and put on the car. Went with Rial X10 wheels with Blizzak.

Ran into an issue getting one of the rear wheels off. Took way too much effort and pounding the back to get it off the hub. I ended up having to reinstall the lugs only hand tight, lower the car and rock it back and forth a few times before trying again. It took me a solid hour to get the wheel off. There was way more corrosion on the hub than I would expect in just a year. I cleaned it up a good bit with a wire brush, but I'm afraid I'll run into the same issue when I switch the wheels back in the spring. Any recommendations to prevent the wheel from sticking so bad in the future?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 10:24 AM   #2
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

permantex anti seize on the hub lip and a little on the face of the rotor staying away from the lug holes.

11-25-2019, 10:57 AM   #3
brk_05
Private
Rep

You confirmed my thinking. I always get nervous to use anti seize anywhere near my wheels, but its really the lip of the hub where my issue is.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 01:24 PM   #4
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

I suggest to consider titanium lug bolts which are corrosion resistant.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 02:13 PM   #5
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
Try the mule kick. It worked for me. I now use anti seize all the time.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 04:28 PM   #6
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
I don't think it's lug bolts that are the issue. With the bolts completely out, the wheel is stuck to the rotor hat.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 04:36 PM   #7
brk_05
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Quote:
I don't think it's lug bolts that are the issue. With the bolts completely out, the wheel is stuck to the rotor hat.
Quote:
Quote:
Bingo
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 04:39 PM   #8
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by brk_05 View Post
Finally got my winter tires mounted and put on the car. Went with Rial X10 wheels with Blizzak.

Ran into an issue getting one of the rear wheels off. Took way too much effort and pounding the back to get it off the hub. I ended up having to reinstall the lugs only hand tight, lower the car and rock it back and forth a few times before trying again. It took me a solid hour to get the wheel off. There was way more corrosion on the hub than I would expect in just a year. I cleaned it up a good bit with a wire brush, but I'm afraid I'll run into the same issue when I switch the wheels back in the spring. Any recommendations to prevent the wheel from sticking so bad in the future?
I scrub the mating surfaces of the wheel and the rotor hat with Formula 409 and a handheld wire brush. I've tried many things but 409 has worked best to remove rust and brake dust. Then spray both down with a can of brake cleaner.

Wipe a very very thin coat of fresh lithium grease on the wheel mating surface only. You need very little to provide an insulated barrier to the metal to metal contact. Then mount and torque the wheel bolts.

Note: This same issue occurs with small rotor hold-on screws freezing onto their hubs. Had this happen at only 12k miles! Easy solution is upgrading the small rotor hold down screw on each rotor with stainless steel screws which will not rust. ECS and Turner both sell a set of four SS rotor screws for about $15.
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2019, 07:42 AM   #9
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Got it. Thanks for the details. When I lived on the East Coast, corroded lug bolts were a common occurrence.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 07:30 AM   #10
Machinebuilder
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 640 IX GT

Johnung is correct lithium grease on the wheel mating surface only

Quote:
I scrub the mating surfaces of the wheel and the rotor hat with Formula 409 and a handheld wire brush. I've tried many things but 409 has worked best to remove rust and brake dust. Then spray both down with a can of brake cleaner.

Wipe a very very thin coat of fresh lithium grease on the wheel mating surface only. You need very little to provide an insulated barrier to the metal to metal contact. Then mount and torque the wheel bolts.

Note: This same issue occurs with small rotor hold-on screws freezing onto their hubs. Had this happen at only 12k miles! Easy solution is upgrading the small rotor hold down screw on each rotor with stainless steel screws which will not rust. ECS and Turner both sell a set of four SS rotor screws for about $15.

The only thing I would emphasize is to never put permantex anti seize on the lug nuts themselves. They can not be properly torqed and will loosen themselves up. You could loose a wheel if you are not paying attention.
Appreciate 1
johnung4528.00
      12-05-2019, 07:31 AM   #11
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

one thing to remember is to wire brush the hub lip and face of the rotor hat really well. that will remove any rust and build up bringing it back down to the 72.56 OD to accept the wheel. then a thin layer of anti-seize.

In the event its stuck again a dead blow to the tire alternating between left and right usually does the trick.
      12-05-2019, 08:12 AM   #12
Zabiz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk_05 View Post

You could paint your calipers and hub where the wheel connect with POR-15 caliper paint, I bought it and I'm waiting to apply it but I've heard a lot of good things about it when it comes to resisting corrosion and it's made specifically for rust prevention. I live in California though so I've never experienced anything close to rust
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 08:46 PM   #13
Batang.Gapo
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i M Sport Edition II

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
permantex anti seize on the hub lip and a little on the face of the rotor staying away from the lug holes.

[img]https://pics.me.me/open-a-bottle-and...la-3245242.png[/img]
I second this. When I was changing summer tires to winter tires, I noticed that hub is heavily rusted. I used steel brush to clean it and put Permatex anti seize. BTW the car is 10 months old and hub is already heavily rusted . Canadian winter is the culprit I guess :
Attached Images

Appreciate 0