F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Experience with 10.25" android 7.1 HU's
GetBMWParts

09-19-2018, 04:22 AM   #1277
mike78
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320d M-Sport (2013)

First impressions using Google Maps via carplay on iphone8.
Very very fast and responsive, great integration. You can do anything without touching the screen (select saved routes, select alternative routes, zoom etc etc). Great great great.

The bad: a lot of disconnects with carplay dongle and autoplay app. I have informed developer.

Have not tried yet with external usb power. If this solution works, then we have a killer feature!!! Only this can be a very strong reason to buy ugode screen.

Any feedback from others?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike78 View Post
Ladies and gentlemen, start your engines!

*** GOOGLE MAPS ON IOS12 CARPLAY ***

Update google maps to v5 via App Store and you will have it. More feedback in few hours!!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 04:46 AM   #1278
Bosley
Private First Class
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 116d 2.0

Quote:
First impressions using Google Maps via carplay on iphone8.
Very very fast and responsive, great integration. You can do anything without touching the screen (select saved routes, select alternative routes, zoom etc etc). Great great great.

The bad: a lot of disconnects with carplay dongle and autoplay app. I have informed developer.

Have not tried yet with external usb power. If this solution works, then we have a killer feature!!! Only this can be a very strong reason to buy ugode screen.

Any feedback from others?

Mh, I can't understand a thing..
Yesterday lots of people wrote that Autoplay App does not work with ios 12, but you can't have Google Maps without ios 12..
Does ios 12 work with autoplay in your HU?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 04:49 AM   #1279
mike78
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Where did you see those posts?
I was able to use autoplay even from ios12 beta7. But today that I tested with google maps, I had a lot of disconnects...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosley View Post
Mh, I can't understand a thing..
Yesterday lots of people wrote that Autoplay App does not work with ios 12, but you can't have Google Maps without ios 12..
Does ios 12 work with autoplay in your HU?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 04:52 AM   #1280
mike78
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I just saw some post on other forums, that say that battery must be >70% and autoplay developer said we must try the external usb splitter. I will try to buy today and test.

Quote:
I was able to use autoplay even from ios12 beta7. But today that I tested with google maps, I had a lot of disconnects...
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 05:33 AM   #1281
lindstroem
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d xdrive 190hk 2017

Quote:
I just saw some post on other forums, that say that battery must be >70% and autoplay developer said we must try the external usb splitter. I will try to buy today and test.
Damn yeah +70% necessiates external Power
Which connectors was needed; two females and one male?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 05:54 AM   #1282
Ravijordan
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw x5

If anyone having trouble with iOS 12 not connecting disconnect dongle from hu then reconnect it back again mine worked that way hope it helps
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 05:57 AM   #1283
Ravijordan
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw x5

Also guys if you want to make your Autoplay icon look like the proper official one, download Apk editor from google playstore and you can change name to CarPlay also change the icon picture to the apple one.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 12:04 AM   #1284
mike78
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The solution to autoplay disconnects with white CarPlay dongle is to connect a usb male to 2 usb female and 1 usb male to 1 usb male cable.

But be careful:

1) the dongle must connected directly to ugode screen
2) the usb splitter is between your iphone and dongle
3) 1 female connects to iphone and the other to car lighter usb charger via a usb male to usb male cable
4) !!! CAUTION !!! Do not connect 2nd female usb to usb charger during ugode screen boot cause you will experience NO SIGNAL. Do not disconnect iphone with 2nd female connected to usb charger because ugode will hang!!

If you follow these strange rules you will have a very stable and ultra super experience. Google maps on CarPlay is a killer feature!

Hope ugode and CarPlay dongle some day in 2030 will solve the extra power requirements.

If you would like to take advantage of the extra charger port that is hidden under compartment you must select a very small (in height) usb car charger. I have not tried that port yet.

More feedback will come after more road testing! Hope others can provide also feedback about this.

Mike

Quote:

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 01:17 AM   #1285
lindstroem
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

4) !!! CAUTION !!! Do not connect 2nd female usb to usb charger during ugode screen boot cause you will experience NO SIGNAL. Do not disconnect iphone with 2nd female connected to usb charger because ugode will hang!!

Mike
Nice! Did you try with a pure cable or USB-hub?

Regarding the 4th caution;
Is it not possible to have the power cable attached at all times and then connect the phone during startup of the car? (must be plugged in before start?)
It is not possible to remove the Iphone from the adapter when the car is running if the power is connected, or ugode will hang?

Thanks for testing!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 02:45 AM   #1286
mike78
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Pure cable.

I connect the extra power cable to car charge after android has finished booting. If the cable is connected before car start and android boot then ---> no signal / no boot at all.

During use (with extra power connected) when car is running I removed iphone and ugode hang. Will try more to see if this happens every time...

Today I tested concurrent use of google maps, spotify and iphone calls and everything went perfect. Still cannot use microphone in carplay. Dont know what the exact setup must be...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindstroem View Post
Nice! Did you try with a pure cable or USB-hub?

Regarding the 4th caution;
Is it not possible to have the power cable attached at all times and then connect the phone during startup of the car? (must be plugged in before start?)
It is not possible to remove the Iphone from the adapter when the car is running if the power is connected, or ugode will hang?

Thanks for testing!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 02:47 AM   #1287
mike78
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Also, today autoplay has a new version. I have not tested it yet. You will see it by clicking autoplay settings, and check for updates.

Quote:
Pure cable.

I connect the extra power cable to car charge after android has finished booting. If the cable is connected before car start and android boot then ---> no signal / no boot at all.

During use (with extra power connected) when car is running I removed iphone and ugode hang. Will try more to see if this happens every time...

Today I tested concurrent use of google maps, spotify and iphone calls and everything went perfect. Still cannot use microphone in carplay. Dont know what the exact setup must be...
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 02:52 AM   #1288
Bosley
Private First Class
Italy
Rep

Hi all,
Another thing I would like to enhance on CarPlay, let's see if anyone is able to help me:
When I start using it, Siri does not hear me.. The only way to make it work is to receive/make a call, and in the iPhone screen select the "BMW original microphone" for that call.. Then, also after the call, the default audio input is the bmw microphone and Siri works really good..

Is there any way to make it as a default input for audio? Otherwise we have to receive/make a call in order to fix it each time we open CarPlay app..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 03:47 AM   #1289
mike78
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Very useful finding. Thank you!
Will try to reproduce.

can you try if the following fixes the issue?

"Simply went to Siri and turned on "Listen for "Hey Siri""

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosley View Post
Hi all,
Another thing I would like to enhance on CarPlay, let's see if anyone is able to help me:
When I start using it, Siri does not hear me.. The only way to make it work is to receive/make a call, and in the iPhone screen select the "BMW original microphone" for that call.. Then, also after the call, the default audio input is the bmw microphone and Siri works really good..

Is there any way to make it as a default input for audio? Otherwise we have to receive/make a call in order to fix it each time we open CarPlay app..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 03:54 AM   #1290
Bosley
Private First Class
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Very useful finding. Thank you!
Will try to reproduce.

can you try if the following fixes the issue?

"Simply went to Siri and turned on "Listen for "Hey Siri""
"Listen for Hey Siri" is already on.. but when it's plugged in the Andorid HU it doesn't work (Siri doesn't hear me) until I do that trick with the calls..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 06:30 AM   #1291
lindstroem
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Pure cable.

Nice troubleshooting, a hazzle then to have to plug in the power jack every time and also first after android has booted up, would have been preferable to always have it plugged in via the glove compartment usb.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 03:55 PM   #1292
irose50
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

Looking at getting one of these Android HUs but been waiting few days for a response from Ugode with a price

Can someone just explain the AUX In setup for me. I assume the connection is made under the dash rather than a cable trailing to the armrest?

Do you have to select AUX each time you switch between OEM and Android unit?

If AUX is selected, does that then mean the OEM radio can't be played whilst using say Waze on the Android side?

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 05:18 PM   #1293
Supernova66
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by irose50 View Post
Looking at getting one of these Android HUs but been waiting few days for a response from Ugode with a price

Can someone just explain the AUX In setup for me. I assume the connection is made under the dash rather than a cable trailing to the armrest?

Do you have to select AUX each time you switch between OEM and Android unit?

If AUX is selected, does that then mean the OEM radio can't be played whilst using say Waze on the Android side?

Thanks in advance
You may not have to deal with the aux input depending on your existing setup. What year is your car?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 02:09 AM   #1294
irose50
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernova66 View Post
You may not have to deal with the aux input depending on your existing setup. What year is your car?
It's a 2016 X4 with EntryNav. Still interested in how the AUX works
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 11:48 AM   #1295
lindstroem
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hi,
I just installed my unit now. Seems I didnt need the AUX-input.

However, I have an issue with "No Signal". I experienced it when I was using the OEM-screen where it would intermittantly show "No Signal" and then show "BMW Connected Drive", to come back to the menu to revert to "No Signal" again. Tried to read about the no signal issues experienced in the forums but uncertain of a clear solution? Please advice

See example here:
https://vimeo.com/user64395771/revie...529/0a3cd1e744

UPD: Tried again now 3h later and the "no signal" didnt appear, might perhaps been a temporary upstart bug.

I did however try to change the screen size in factory settings from [1]NBT_F48/F49(6.5",HalfScreen) to [3]NBT_F48/F49(8.8",10.25"), but got the error message "SD Card or U disk OEM directory did not find the cartype.xml file"? Tried all 10.25 options and all were the same. Advice? Havent gotten the cable to re-program the BMW yet but that comes later.

Last edited by lindstroem; 09-22-2018 at 03:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 07:50 PM   #1296
Supernova66
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindstroem View Post
Hi,
I just installed my unit now. Seems I didnt need the AUX-input.

However, I have an issue with "No Signal". I experienced it when I was using the OEM-screen where it would intermittantly show "No Signal" and then show "BMW Connected Drive", to come back to the menu to revert to "No Signal" again. Tried to read about the no signal issues experienced in the forums but uncertain of a clear solution? Please advice

See example here:
https://vimeo.com/user64395771/review/291282529/0a3cd1e744

UPD: Tried again now 3h later and the "no signal" didnt appear, might perhaps been a temporary upstart bug.

I did however try to change the screen size in factory settings from [1]NBT_F48/F49(6.5",HalfScreen) to [3]NBT_F48/F49(8.8",10.25"), but got the error message "SD Card or U disk OEM directory did not find the cartype.xml file"? Tried all 10.25 options and all were the same. Advice? Havent gotten the cable to re-program the BMW yet but that comes later.
If I remember correctly you need to tap the selection twice. A confirmation box will then pop up.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 09:38 PM   #1297
Supernova66
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Does anyone know how to change the ring tone for incoming calls?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 07:08 AM   #1298
lindstroem
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernova66 View Post
If I remember correctly you need to tap the selection twice. A confirmation box will then pop up.
Thanks that solved it! Now I only need to code the BMW

Regarding sound which has been a frequent issue on the forum. I've read that people suggest reducing the AUX-sound to 10 (from Druw in the latest post i think) in OEM-settings and then increasing the sound in Android (I've tried to increase it to max in Android).

However when i then try to increase the volume to a fairly high level there is still high amounts of static/hissing coming from the speakers. Can I only play music on lower levels for the Ugode unit to be able to produce reasonable sound? Or are you able to play on high volume without static/hissing?

I did not have to reroute the AUX to the armrest but only use the already present connectors.

If thats the case I believe I will stick with the OEM-bluetooth sound and then only use the android-side for the navgiation

Thanks!
Appreciate 0