F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 440i ownership - 6 months in, i don't like.....
Extreme Powerhouse

12-29-2018, 01:48 PM   #45
rich100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 320i Xdrive msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroFx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff123 View Post
The run flats will probably be causing the ride quality issues. That's an easy fix when the bastards wear out.
its not.

normal tyres suck on cars set up for RTF. The whole toe in feels mushy.

The F series cars are just half decent cars for general premium ownership.

Stick a 40k+ net price tag on it and a 3.0 petrol engine in doesnt really change the fact its still the same car as a 420d.
You're half right. It does sort the crashiness to a large extent, but the handling needs better damping and ideally firmer bushing, as per your comment regarding the excess toe. That's what Alpina sort on their cars... completely revised kinematics. Bushing and geometry.

Standard range BMWs are just mediocre in that regard and a 40i engine doesn't change it.
Not entirely sure what went wrong with F3x series. Whilst it is going back a bit admittedly, my old e46 seemed to drive and handle brilliantly.

I'm not an expert though so might be looking through rose tinted glasses but assuming that the e46 was in fact better set up and they can evidently still produce a highly competent M Car I'm not sure why BMW seemed to lose their way so much with the F series.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 02:07 PM   #46
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich100 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroFx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff123 View Post
The run flats will probably be causing the ride quality issues. That's an easy fix when the bastards wear out.
its not.

normal tyres suck on cars set up for RTF. The whole toe in feels mushy.

The F series cars are just half decent cars for general premium ownership.

Stick a 40k+ net price tag on it and a 3.0 petrol engine in doesnt really change the fact its still the same car as a 420d.
You're half right. It does sort the crashiness to a large extent, but the handling needs better damping and ideally firmer bushing, as per your comment regarding the excess toe. That's what Alpina sort on their cars... completely revised kinematics. Bushing and geometry.

Standard range BMWs are just mediocre in that regard and a 40i engine doesn't change it.
Not entirely sure what went wrong with F3x series. Whilst it is going back a bit admittedly, my old e46 seemed to drive and handle brilliantly.

I'm not an expert though so might be looking through rose tinted glasses but assuming that the e46 was in fact better set up and they can evidently still produce a highly competent M Car I'm not sure why BMW seemed to lose their way so much with the F series.
It's a good question and one I was discussing with my dad today. He asked which of my cars was best as standard.... my E46 320d without a doubt!
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 1
rich100874.50
      12-29-2018, 03:55 PM   #47
aquazi
Major
Rep
Drives: 18 M4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwynMike View Post
Workmate of mine (in his 40's) parked his FFRR in the Parent & Child slot in an otherwise almost empty supermarket car park.
He was berated for doing so without his child.
He retorted that it was a Parent and Child slot, and he had his Mother in the car.
I’ll have to remember that one!

Tbh i only ever use my car anywhere near a supermarket with my 3 year old!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 05:29 PM   #48
rosstin
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
With regards kick down ...... cant you press your foot and stop just before you go into kick down? This will most likely give you the 4th to 3rd that you want.

Probably a case of training your right foot.
I would have written this if it wasn't done already!

I've found the pedal responds to how quickly you kick it.. and how far you kick it..
With some practice you'll be able to drop straight into 3rd be flying!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 12:58 AM   #49
Bomrsx
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

I agree with op, nothing mind-blowing about the 4. Although I only have a 435i so I can't say anything about the 440i. Only reason I stick to them is not because of what you get from BMW but what you can get for your buck in mods. I honestly can't think of other cars that for so little you can get so much out of them. My E92 335i was a complete beast with fbo and some e85 and the 4 series is no slouch with fbo. Also the fuel economy is nothing to complain about, I have a e70 x5m and no matter how you drive that thing in the city, good luck getting anything over 12mpg and 16mpg highway. Overall I'm sticking with these cars because the pros just keep me hooked.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 02:04 AM   #50
330XDave
Major
Rep
Drives: 330d xDrive Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomrsx View Post
I agree with op, nothing mind-blowing about the 4. Although I only have a 435i so I can't say anything about the 440i. Only reason I stick to them is not because of what you get from BMW but what you can get for your buck in mods. I honestly can't think of other cars that for so little you can get so much out of them. My E92 335i was a complete beast with fbo and some e85 and the 4 series is no slouch with fbo. Also the fuel economy is nothing to complain about, I have a e70 x5m and no matter how you drive that thing in the city, good luck getting anything over 12mpg and 16mpg highway. Overall I'm sticking with these cars because the pros just keep me hooked.
Are BMWs really any cheaper to mod than other cars? Wouldn't have thought so myself.

Also you are rather contradicting yourself there, you say you can't complain about fuel consumption then state you can't get over 16mpg in your car.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 03:04 AM   #51
fuzzybunny
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Orange F33 435dx Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepy View Post
Is the original posters car a pre LCI? Mines post & I'm very happy with how the suspension handles considering it's also on runflats albeit the are Goodyears.
The main gripe I have with mine is an F32 problem in general & that's getting out of the bloody thing in a car park! With coupes getting wider & the doors must be getting longer I sometimes find once parked up it's impossible to open the door enough to get out, last coupe for me unless I can find a nice E36!
Yes agree about the doors on a coupe being too thick and long, might even be worse in my convertible. I suppose modern safety standards and reinforced doors dictate that and not much we can do except go on a diet!
      12-30-2018, 03:08 AM   #52
fuzzybunny
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Orange F33 435dx Convertible

Great no holes barred review from 'gippy'. Totally agree about the brake squeal its always on the last few feet of braking. Irritating when pedestrians turn round to see who's 'squeaking'
      12-30-2018, 04:08 AM   #53
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Sloppy right foot control...

Yes, a blunt kick-down in a petrol can do as you say, can mess a diesel's best response as well. With sensitive throttle control, you can prevent the gearbox over down changing in most circumstances.

I've been driving my N55 engine for over six years. I use kick-down, I'd say I could count on one hand the amount of times I've experienced over aggressive down changes, and that is usually because I've simply mashed the pedal without thought.
Exactly that.

Power is nothing without control as they say

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 04:50 AM   #54
simnew
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i GranCoupe MSport

I came from 430dx GC to my 440i GC and I would say that the throttle is definitely more sensitive that the 430d but this is simply down to the different nature of the engines. If you want drive on the torque of the petrol low you would the diesel then eco pro or manual changes is the way to go.

The 440i has quite a lot more power up the Rev band and because of that it's delivery when combined with the shift in gears is a bit more aggressive. The 430d is fast in a very relaxed way but doesn't give the final thrill that the 440i does as that engine really gets j to its stride.

And to be honest on my LCi I find the suspension a big improvement (adaptive) and I haven't had the issues with the brakes yet. Had that with the standard brakes though and comes down to the dealer cleaning, greasing and using the correct shims.
Appreciate 1
Quantox308.50
      12-30-2018, 06:08 AM   #55
gippy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 440i, pre-LCI, w/MPPSK

well thought i'd leave this thread for a bit and come back. Fantastic debate and discussion, and i've picked up a few tips in the process which was the whole idea, so thanks.

On the whole kickdown throttle control issue - well, i had a play about yesterday on the way to the shops, and i still wasn't impressed. I do stress, I wasn't trying kickdown - i'll leave that for the motorway journey i've got on Monday. So this is not my final opinion.
but just leaving it in sport and experimenting with different rates at which i apply throttle, really did not seem to make much difference. Maybe it'll be a different story if i select kickdown.

Very difficult to be scientific about these things without being able to measure the throttle % applied over time, but from a subjective point of view, and trying to consciously push throttle down at a medium/slowish rate, all the car did was jerk down a gear or two (fine) and take its time to do it.
But my biggest grip was it just holds onto gears. The car revs out in this slow and wheezy way to 5k+rpm, and i'm like.....'ffs shift up...shift UP'.
There were definitely instances last night where i was purposelly lifting off, as the revs rose, thinking that would prompt it to change up....but it didn't.

Now if you're 100% throttle, then i can understand the car holding to gears and shifting at the red line (as it did for me in the summer when i tried 0-60 runs) - but why is it doing it when you're not even half throttle?

Anyway, i'll have a bit more of a play, i'm not sure if Torque Pro app measures throttle %, it certainly has revs - so i'll plug that in and start recording.

Was probably worth mentioning that - as my description under my username states, my car is Aug 2016 - pre Lci. I did read in road test articles that the Lci had tweaks to suspension, so maybe that did transform the car? i also did mention that mine is passive so maybe the active does give a better degree of body control.
i personally didn't want adaptive as i know that down the line i'd want to change it all out and get something trick anyway and set up to my liking.

i think people ignored my intro and outro and just read the bad stuff i wrote in bold......i did specifically say that i do love the car....and that for me there's nothing better for the money. The engine and transmission (in manual mode anyway) are brilliant, and that's the most important thing.

i'm personally waiting till the warranty runs out before the remap, exhaust, suspension and diff upgrades.... then i'll have nothing to complain about.

bit worried about my fuel economy though, if others are saying they are getting 30+ even in urban......not sure what it could be or if the dealer would pick up anything? i mean if a car is sipping more fuel than it should....it could be anything?
i've been putting shell v power in it from day 1.

Last edited by gippy; 12-30-2018 at 06:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 06:25 AM   #56
Kendo67
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Me - 440i , Dog - Cayenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by gippy View Post
bit worried about my fuel economy though, if others are saying they are getting 30+ even in urban......not sure what it could be or if the dealer would pick up anything? i mean if a car is sipping more fuel than it should....it could be anything?
Since my last top up i am averaging 23mpg , all town stop start driving with a 3 mile commute. The stop / start rarely works in the winter as the heating is on along with at least one heated seat.

Summer with no heating and a warm engine will see low 50`s in eco mode and a very light foot at around 50 mph.

Why wait for the warranty to expire for the exhaust as the MPPSK are getting thin on the ground at the moment plus it keeps the factory warranty intact.

Kenny
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 06:39 AM   #57
GEP77
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3 Long Range.

Quote:
The car revs out in this slow and wheezy way to 5k+rpm
The only real solution to this I'm afraid is to buy an M4. Or maybe an E9x M3. Or maybe a 911 GT3 etc...

I think you are also the first person on here to describe the B58 as wheezy.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 08:59 AM   #58
gippy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEP77 View Post
The only real solution to this I'm afraid is to buy an M4. Or maybe an E9x M3. Or maybe a 911 GT3 etc...

I think you are also the first person on here to describe the B58 as wheezy.
please feel free to re-read the post and understand the context.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 09:01 AM   #59
gippy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendo67 View Post
Since my last top up i am averaging 23mpg , all town stop start driving with a 3 mile commute. The stop / start rarely works in the winter as the heating is on along with at least one heated seat.

Summer with no heating and a warm engine will see low 50`s in eco mode and a very light foot at around 50 mph.

Why wait for the warranty to expire for the exhaust as the MPPSK are getting thin on the ground at the moment plus it keeps the factory warranty intact.

Kenny
i think the MPPSK is a huge rip off for what you get.
much rather have a 400+bhp remap and exhaust for the same money. Happy to wait till then.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 09:11 AM   #60
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
...but just leaving it in sport and experimenting with different rates at which i apply throttle, really did not seem to make much difference. Maybe it'll be a different story if i select kickdown.

Very difficult to be scientific about these things without being able to measure the throttle % applied over time, but from a subjective point of view, and trying to consciously push throttle down at a medium/slowish rate, all the car did was jerk down a gear or two (fine) and take its time to do it.
But my biggest grip was it just holds onto gears. The car revs out in this slow and wheezy way to 5k+rpm, and i'm like.....'ffs shift up...shift UP'.
There were definitely instances last night where i was purposelly lifting off, as the revs rose, thinking that would prompt it to change up....but it didn't.

Now if you're 100% throttle, then i can understand the car holding to gears and shifting at the red line (as it did for me in the summer when i tried 0-60 runs) - but why is it doing it when you're not even half throttle?
There appears to be a few anomalies in how you are finding the gearbox. Don't understand the jerky response on part throttle, or the failure to change up on easing the throttle.

Rapid throttle lift off will supress an up change, that is a feature/function of the box, prevents up-shifts if you were intending to brake. It will then wait for your next command, like accelerating again before an up-shift.

I see you are using Sport. What if you try it in Comfort. See how the different base program and a less sensitive throttle handles the change points and responses.'D',
Appreciate 1
Quantox308.50
      12-30-2018, 12:08 PM   #61
GEP77
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3 Long Range.

Quote:
please feel free to re-read the post and understand the context.
I had read your full post, this I thought was a worthy soundbite.

I appreciate the context, in a nutshell it's the effect of having an automatic gearbox tuned slightly for comfort and a turbocharged engine which while powerful has been mapped by BMW for emissions compliance and economy.

Without going back to naturally aspirated engines this slight hole in throttle response is being filled by light hybrids where a very small electric motor provides the instantaneous torque before the turbo spools up. I not sure what BMW have planned in this area however other manufacturers already have cars on sale with this sort of technology.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 03:15 PM   #62
gippy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEP77 View Post
I had read your full post, this I thought was a worthy soundbite.

I appreciate the context, in a nutshell it's the effect of having an automatic gearbox tuned slightly for comfort and a turbocharged engine which while powerful has been mapped by BMW for emissions compliance and economy.

Without going back to naturally aspirated engines this slight hole in throttle response is being filled by light hybrids where a very small electric motor provides the instantaneous torque before the turbo spools up. I not sure what BMW have planned in this area however other manufacturers already have cars on sale with this sort of technology.
fair enough, i re-read what i wrote and it wasn't particularly clear.
i guess when we're talking about throttle mappings and shift patterns and power curves it helps to be as precise as possible.

what i meant was when i apply say....i don't know - 25-40% throttle, from a standing start, the gears still hang and it won't upshift. So 1st, to 2nd especially, it's just revving out, even though i'm hovering around 30% throttle - so it feels like the car is 'wheezy' or running out of power - simply because i'm applying little throttle but its still revving out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I see you are using Sport. What if you try it in Comfort. See how the different base program and a less sensitive throttle handles the change points and responses.'D',
yup, today i left it in sport and just starting to feel my way around it more.
one thing i've realised from all this is i really haven't actually spent much time in auto modes with sport - mainly coz i didn't know how kickdown worked properly so every time i've been in sport mode i've been also in full manual mode.

i'll spend the next few weeks leaving it in auto + sport and also trying comfort and make an effort to adjust my throttle inputs from lights, or overtaking etc.. and see how it all behaves.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 04:45 PM   #63
Bomrsx
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330XDave View Post
Quote:
Are BMWs really any cheaper to mod than other cars? Wouldn't have thought so myself.

Also you are rather contradicting yourself there, you say you can't complain about fuel consumption then state you can't get over 16mpg in your car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330XDave View Post
Quote:

yea can't complain about the fuel economy in the 4 series cuz there are cars that do alot worse. Especially with gas prices below $3
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 05:39 PM   #64
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

gippy with regards your fuel consumption, a bit of a long shot but check your oil level.
Was reading about a guy on another car forum that he experiencing really poor fuel consumption, far less than anyone else was getting. Then he realized his dealer way over filled his oil by well over a litre above max. He had the excess oil empted and the fuel consumption picked up a fair bit.

So worth a check?

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 03:40 AM   #65
NotGotABimmer23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340i touring - incoming

Quote:
i think the MPPSK is a huge rip off for what you get.
much rather have a 400+bhp remap and exhaust for the same money. Happy to wait till then.
I'm not sure that's fair.

I paid £1740 for mine with carbon tips, a remus exhaust only with carbon tips is c. £1600. Plus you keep your warranty, which could be worth thousands if you are unfortunate. If something goes bang with a 400bhp map on the car you are in trouble....
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 04:15 AM   #66
Kendo67
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Me - 440i , Dog - Cayenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylemacca01 View Post
I'm not sure that's fair.

I paid £1740 for mine with carbon tips, a remus exhaust only with carbon tips is c. £1600. Plus you keep your warranty, which could be worth thousands if you are unfortunate. If something goes bang with a 400bhp map on the car you are in trouble....
+1 , got to agree with the above.

£1640 , fully fitted with the carbon tips , an extra 40+ hp , warranty intact meaning no waiting around , for me, for 30 months until the car was three years old.

Kenny
Appreciate 0