F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > I need a tutorial on all this
Extreme Powerhouse

06-10-2021, 07:31 PM   #1
scoobysmak
Rep
Drives: BMW 328 D

I need a tutorial on all this

Well the title pretty much states it all. Recently picked up my F30 and there are so many different apps/software I am not sure what does what and what I might want to have. Some of this is pure ignorance on what all the different acronyms mean. Things like what the term FSC codes mean. This is the first car I have owned newer than 2003, this stuff doesn't seem hard but at the moment it is greek to me.

The only apps/software I currently have is Bimmercode and BimmerLink and a bluetooth adaptor to use them. I have now used Bimmercode once, some things I see online I was not able to get to work. I would love to have my oil temp shown as an option on my cluster but didn't see it in expert mode, maybe the diesels didn't have this option. In one of the write ups I saw where in the US the NOAA radio station was an option and I codded it but it does not appear in the list of media to select.

I see threads with titles of ITSA+ and ESYS but have no clue what this does or if I would ever want it. I think ITSA+ is some service manual stuff which I would really like to be able to service my car myself. I just don't want to start requesting software I have no clue if I would ever use it or what it does. Then comes the part if I do need it how to use it... ...but that is another topic all together.

Stuff I have or would like to do:

code my car - Bimmercode (have but maybe there are other options)
See how my engine is doing - BimmerLink (have and never used, maybe other options)

-Clear codes / reset oil change = think BimmerLink does this though
-Be able to work on my car, every system not just a select few
-Be able to add retrofit packages (love to see the night vision option but so far I haven't seen this one done or where to get the parts and what it might take).

I am so new to this I probably don't even know what I want to do yet because I never knew it was an option.

In case it doesn't show the car is US 2017 BMW 328D Msport just incase there is something different I might need (doubt it but don't know either).
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 02:05 AM   #2
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

I feel for you and we have all been there... but the reality is that no one will be able to give you such a generic crash course... especially since all the information is already in here, even if fragmented.
You just need to search and read. Yes, that takes time, but there is no better way. You need to digest the information and filter out the irrelevant bits of it yourself.

Start with simple things like asking yourself "What do I want to achieve specifically"?
When you answer that, start looking for the answer of "How?".

By the way - there is no night vision option for the F3x and there has never been. This is a 6-Series feature.
      06-11-2021, 02:46 AM   #3
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep
Drives: M3LR

Night Vision has been retrofitted into an F30 platform - speak to Adrian at Custom Retrofit
Appreciate 0