F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > First custom made turbo blanket for B58
proTUNING Freaks

07-17-2020, 06:09 PM   #89
awilki0101
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Bought a couple stainless springs today and modified to work on backside. Practiced a couple time with manifold on ground and I think this will be a viable solution to the standard wires they had here. Now can't wait until Sunday to do final fit on car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
kern4174445.00
      07-18-2020, 12:58 PM   #90
alpinweiss340
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 340i

Looking crazy good so far!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 10:44 AM   #91
luke1990
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G30 540ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uni-Rapide View Post
@luke1990 or awilki0101 I'm interested in this as well! Can you add me to the list?
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 03:48 PM   #92
about94ninjas
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke1990 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uni-Rapide View Post
@luke1990 or awilki0101 I'm interested in this as well! Can you add me to the list?
Thanks!
I'm also interested in the group buy!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 04:39 PM   #93
awilki0101
First Lieutenant
Rep

Ok soooo it is on. I made a short video showing the basics of it going on however during the installation I had to make some modifications. The small spring that clips the back of the blanket behind the turbo would not fit. There is only a 3/8" space between turbo and engine block. The solution to this were metal zip ties that I pushed through the corners of the back side of blanket and also used those to fish it around bottom and up behind. Then I could wrap the second longer spring in back around top of turbo to connect and connect zip ties in front. This process wound up taking me 4 hours due to some trial and error in finding the most efficient way to work. The manifold blanket took all of 10 minutes and was pretty easy. So all in all it works however I will request a couple of changes.

New way of connecting back of blanket due to now known space issues

Possible smaller or better seams on outer edge to help with fishing it around or clearance if turbo is removed.

So for the installation what I finally did have to remove was:

Intake, heat shield over manifold, downpipe, lower support bracket on bottom of turbo, belly pan and skid plate (I have xdrive) and c clip holding wastegate actuator arm to turbo and swing out of way.

Having a second pair of hands to help pull blanket around or hold while fishing springs and connecting was key.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      07-19-2020, 04:44 PM   #94
awilki0101
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quick video of basic install while turbo removed to give you a rough idea how it goes on
Appreciate 4
      07-19-2020, 04:45 PM   #95
awilki0101
First Lieutenant
Rep

And finally this small vertical spring is what was unable to work. On each corner on the sides is where I attached the stainless zip tie which also helped with fishing it up from behind
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
luke1990132.50
Solid67187.00
kern4174445.00
      07-19-2020, 04:47 PM   #96
luke1990
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by awilki0101 View Post
Ok soooo it is on. I made a short video showing the basics of it going on however during the installation I had to make some modifications. The small spring that clips the back of the blanket behind the turbo would not fit. There is only a 3/8" space between turbo and engine block. The solution to this were metal zip ties that I pushed through the corners of the back side of blanket and also used those to fish it around bottom and up behind. Then I could wrap the second longer spring in back around top of turbo to connect and connect zip ties in front. This process wound up taking me 4 hours due to some trial and error in finding the most efficient way to work. The manifold blanket took all of 10 minutes and was pretty easy. So all in all it works however I will request a couple of changes.

Possible smaller or better seams on outer edge to help with fishing it around or clearance if turbo is removed.

Intake, heat shield over manifold, downpipe, lower support bracket on bottom of turbo, belly pan and skid plate (I have xdrive) and c clip holding wastegate actuator arm to turbo and swing out of way.

Having a second pair of hands to help pull blanket around or hold while fishing springs and connecting was key.
Thanks for this man! Seems like few adjustments could be in place - best to share with PTP and see if they could reflect this.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 04:56 PM   #97
awilki0101
First Lieutenant
Rep

On another note after some very spirited driving I can say I can't personally "feel" a difference in spool or gains anywhere, however after opening hood I could feel a massive difference temp especially around intake.
Appreciate 1
kern4174445.00
      07-19-2020, 05:00 PM   #98
awilki0101
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for this man! Seems like few adjustments could be in place - best to share with PTP and see if they could reflect this.
Sent them an email and photos. See what they can come up with. It's far from impossible and would be a very easy install for anyone in middle of a turbo swap but it would be better if a few changes can help with install without removal.
Appreciate 3
kern4174445.00
luke1990132.50
pauli18c211.00
      07-19-2020, 07:12 PM   #99
sewhelan9
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i Gran Coupe

I'm happy to let them use my car as a guinea pig since I am local.
2018 440i Gran Coupe (F36), Glacier Silver/Black Dakota, M Performance and Track Handling Package, MHD Stage 2 and xHP Stage 3 flash tunes, Dinan Shockware and mid-pipe, HJS high-flow cat, AP Intake, RW Carbon duck bill spoiler and rear diffuser
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 10:43 AM   #100
pauli18c
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i RWD M Sport

What's the cost going to be if we can bring them 50-75+ people?
      07-21-2020, 10:23 PM   #101
Mr. 340
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i

Quote:

Can't wait to get my hands on this turbo blanket! Really appreciate your time to do all this. Quick unrelated question, how did you mount the BMS catch can on the strut tower? I got my stock airbox so was curious to find a new way to mount it. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 06:38 AM   #102
awilki0101
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan340 View Post
Quote:

Can't wait to get my hands on this turbo blanket! Really appreciate your time to do all this. Quick unrelated question, how did you mount the BMS catch can on the strut tower? I got my stock airbox so was curious to find a new way to mount it. Thanks!
I just shortened the hoses that came with it. I first mounted the can loosely then played with the hoses to find an angle the would work and made the cuts then tightened everything up
Appreciate 1
Mr. 34068.00
      07-22-2020, 11:52 PM   #103
WrxToBeamerGuy
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i xDrive

I want to buy one sign me up!
Appreciate 1
luke1990132.50
      07-26-2020, 03:09 PM   #104
eksigned
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 4er

yeah, i'm ready to buy. lol

so are changes still being made to the prototype? or are these finalized production blankets that we're hoping to have adjusted for easier install? also, why can't those rivets that the hooks latch onto be located on the TOP side of the manifold so that we can A). see them to visualize that the turbo blanket is still intact and hugging the mani/hot side B) install easier...?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 04:51 PM   #105
awilki0101
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksigned View Post
yeah, i'm ready to buy. lol

so are changes still being made to the prototype? or are these finalized production blankets that we're hoping to have adjusted for easier install? also, why can't those rivets that the hooks latch onto be located on the TOP side of the manifold so that we can A). see them to visualize that the turbo blanket is still intact and hugging the mani/hot side B) install easier...?
I've sent over some suggestions and positive feedback. Waiting to see what can be done
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 12:44 PM   #106
luke1990
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I've sent over some suggestions and positive feedback. Waiting to see what can be done
They replied they will get back to us today so lets see
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 01:05 AM   #107
eksigned
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, maybe because it's late...but I'm having a hard time understanding. Is the blanket actually for sale now? I can't tell if you're sending back feedback on the prototype, or the finalized product?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 04:21 AM   #108
luke1990
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, maybe because it's late...but I'm having a hard time understanding. Is the blanket actually for sale now? I can't tell if you're sending back feedback on the prototype, or the finalized product?
No its not yet. A prototype was created that awilki installed in his car and now we are in process of providing some feedback to improve it. Originally we thought it will be good to go, but there are some areas that can be improved. PTP is now in a process of revising the prototype and communicating with us
Appreciate 2
      07-30-2020, 10:27 AM   #109
eksigned
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
No its not yet. A prototype was created that awilki installed in his car and now we are in process of providing some feedback to improve it. Originally we thought it will be good to go, but there are some areas that can be improved. PTP is now in a process of revising the prototype and communicating with us
Understood. I'm planning to have my local shop install this for me with a few other things in one go. I AM READY FOE THE BLANKET in other words. PTP take my money.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 10:27 AM   #110
WrxToBeamerGuy
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i xDrive

Yeah take my money too! Currently am trying out a 1/2'' thick exhaust insulation between the intake and the exhaust manifold. Didn't realize it had glass like fibers in it so im all itchy .

Will this be possible to install without removing the exhaust manifold or is that necessary? If so how difficult is it for a moderate DIY mechanic. I installed my own DP and did sparky boys myself but not much more technical than that.
Appreciate 0